Found Safe KY - Kenneth Howard, 22mths, Salyersville, 12 May 2019

Yes I'm glad he is found but to not have a concern abt this repeated phrase seemes foolhardy to me. Said he was repeating "here all night" when they found him? "here all night", "here all night" is that a concept a child of 22 months knows how to articulate and express verbally? They have 0 concept of time & some don't understand night from morning yet. They may know the sun from the moon & sleep. Was this a question of him initially? I'm a little thrown off by that. Anybody here that can help us work through that?

My toddlers always had trouble with time in that "yesterday" could mean the day or week before. Tomorrow, yesterday, today, etc. were always difficult for them to grasp. However, they had pretty good grasps of "day" and "night" since one was dark and one was not. I could see him saying that he had been there "all night" because it did grow dark on him and then light again. Even my 7yo argues with me because she doesn't understand that 4am is technically "early in the morning." To her it's dark so it has to be night. He may not have been able to ascertain the fact that more than one night passed, but I think he could tell that at least one day had gone by.

Little kids like that often don't have filters. They sometimes have trouble with knowing "truth" and "lie." They're remarkably glib and honest at that age. If he'd been somewhere else during that time, I don't think he'd be able to keep that information to himself.

Yes I'm glad he is found but to not have a concern abt this repeated phrase seemes foolhardy to me. Said he was repeating "here all night" when they found him? "here all night", "here all night" is that a concept a child of 22 months knows how to articulate and express verbally? They have 0 concept of time & some don't understand night from morning yet. They may know the sun from the moon & sleep. Was this a question of him initially? I'm a little thrown off by that. Anybody here that can help us work through that?
All three of my grandkids, said "yesterday". We went to Disney, yesterday. We went to church yesterday. Everything was yesterday. They called night, nighttime. Are we going at nighttime?

Kids have a concept, just express differently.

I think he may have said, here all night, because that had to be the scariest and its unusual for kids to be outside all night.

They also, tend to use phases parents use. Well we been here all night, is kinda common.

He's a cute little bugger..

All three of my grandkids, said "yesterday". We went to Disney, yesterday. We went to church yesterday. Everything was yesterday. They called night, nighttime. Are we going at nighttime?

Kids have a concept, just express differently.

I think he may have said, here all night, because that had to be the scariest and its unusual for kids to be outside all night.

They also, tend to use phases parents use. Well we been here all night, is kinda common.

He's a cute little bugger..

When I had my first son, one of my friends (with multiple children) said that the ages between 1-4 were the hardest for kids because they were having complex thoughts but lacked the vocabulary and understanding to convey those thoughts. She said it's like they're THINKING, "The thickness of the night fills my soul with a melancholy that's threatening to overtake me and send me into a downward spiral from which I'll never emerge" but what they end up saying is, "Star."

My kids used nighttime too but later than that age. My daughyer would say "but when are we going?, i want to go now" lol she didnt understand tomorrow for a long time. She got to nighttime at 4 years old. My son understood nighttime was dark, he would refer to it as bedtime "you mean when its dark, like bedtime? These were concepts that I always had a hard time with our kids bc "soon:, "tomorrow" and "day after next" "the party is next week" wasnt good enough for them. My daughter woukd have complete meltdowns, I have these deeply set in my memory bc it was custody related & very sad. Spending the night came at about 4 yrs old for mine. They would say a long long loooong time or way far away. Alot of time meltdowns went on at my house as you can tell lol

SALYERSVILLE, Ky. (WKYT) - The Magoffin County toddler who caught the nation's attention after being found alive days after his disappearance is in 'exceptionally good' condition at a West Virginia hospital.

KENNETH+HOWARD+16+9.jpg

Kentucky State Police did say 22-month-old Kenneth Howard is expected to be released from a hospital in Huntington Thursday, but Kenneth's mother said later in the day his discharge is still unknown. Family members are hopeful he will leave Friday, as he continues to suffer from swelling, tick bites and dehydration. Medical professionals were amazed at Howard's condition despite not being seen since Sunday night.

Firefighters with the Prestonsburg Fire Department were among those in the right place at the right time Wednesday when they located Howard and brought him to safety Wednesday, approximately 1,700 feet from the family's home near the Magoffin-Floyd County line. An expert tracker was able to hear the boy cry during the search. Kenneth's father Elden Howard, who offered a $5,000 reward for Kenneth's safe return, said the discovery was like a weight being lifted off the family.

Magoffin County toddler in 'exceptionally good' condition after being found

Pitch black out opposed to sunshine. He’s grown up in the rural hills.

I think even at 2 he could tell the difference

And I’m not sure the reason for questioning it

Apparently that’s what he told first responders, I have no reason to doubt it.

When I had my first son, one of my friends (with multiple children) said that the ages between 1-4 were the hardest for kids because they were having complex thoughts but lacked the vocabulary and understanding to convey those thoughts. She said it's like they're THINKING, "The thickness of the night fills my soul with a melancholy that's threatening to overtake me and send me into a downward spiral from which I'll never emerge" but what they end up saying is, "Star."
Yes..perfectly said. I think that's what I was trying to say in the above post lol I watched my kids meltdown for the words bc my words were not what they inderstood yet.. my son would say in 2 sleeps or "we can go in 2 bedtimes mama" his little wheels would be spinning for the right words. Which makes me think somebody said "you've you been here all night little man" or something like that to Kenneth and he latched on, finally, the words he needed to express his 4 days out there

WKYT - Nick Oliver
I just spoke to family of Kenneth Howard, the 22 month old found after a three day search in Magoffin County.

They tell me he is recovering from some swelling, tick bites, and dehydration. They hope he will be able to leave tomorrow.

I’ll have an update at 4:30 and 6 on #WKYT.

Photos courtesy of family
WKYT Nick Oliver

Attachments

• 39D40667-ED94-4340-A7FB-DA05DFDAD545.jpeg
    39D40667-ED94-4340-A7FB-DA05DFDAD545.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 5D735F04-78EC-4D1F-9D68-DDC838B70822.jpeg
    5D735F04-78EC-4D1F-9D68-DDC838B70822.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 58
Pitch black out opposed to sunshine. He’s grown up in the rural hills.

I think even at 2 he could tell the difference

And I’m not sure the reason for questioning it

Apparently that’s what he told first responders, I have no reason to doubt it.
The reason for my question is this: if somebody did take that child and chanted this "here all night" mantra with him, having him join along in hopes he wouldnt shout their name right out when he was found if he was known to him even distantly, Because ive never heard the term "here all night" said by a child that age unless prompeted by an adult at the time it was said so it gave me pause and I hope that inveatigators would consider the possibility since there are cases of pedophiles walking into homes or climbing through a bedroom window to abduct a child only & return them later. Too much time on websleuths but it would be smarter than walking past 15 cameras in the city. If they Just travel to the country and bypass all that and return the child farther out when they're good and ready, some very sick ppl out there. Yes, I want this to be balloons amd cake and celebration only but, the investigation didnt end when he was found. A child was missing for 4 days, his family was heartsick and every resource used to find him, searchers were hurt and he was in danger for 4 days. We all pray he was just toddling around the mountains of course but I do want them to make sure there isnt a criminal in their midst.

WKYT
I just spoke to family of Kenneth Howard, the 22 month old found after a three day search in Magoffin County.

They tell me he is recovering from some swelling, tick bites, and dehydration. They hope he will be able to leave tomorrow.

WKYT Nick Oliver

IMO, I think they will monitor him due to tick bites. He's at risk for Rocky Mt Spotted Fever, lymes disease, and other complications.

An acquaintance, fell off her horse and was "lost" in the woods for about 24 hours before she was found. She had over 100 tick bites and for some reason went into kidney failure. I don't know if from dehydration or the bites.

Last edited:
The reason for my question is this: if somebody did take that child and chanted this "here all night" mantra with him, having him join along in hopes he wouldnt shout their name right out when he was found if he was known to him even distantly, Because ive never heard the term "here all night" said by a child that age unless prompeted by an adult at the time it was said so it gave me pause and I hope that inveatigators would consider the possibility since there are cases of pedophiles walking into homes or climbing through a bedroom window to abduct a child only & return them later. Too much time on websleuths but it would be smarter than walking past 15 cameras in the city. If they Just travel to the country and bypass all that and return the child farther out when they're good and ready, some very sick ppl out there. Yes, I want this to be balloons amd cake and celebration only but, the investigation didnt end when he was found. A child was missing for 4 days, his family was heartsick and every resource used to find him, searchers were hurt and he was in danger for 4 days. We all pray he was just toddling around the mountains of course but I do want them to make sure there isnt a criminal in their midst.

My husband grew up in the mining hills of WVA. He and his cousins were runing the mountains at 6. They found an old well pulled the cover off and were so proud. Thank goodness they ran home and told their mommas about their discovery, 2 days later my husband was diagnosed with typhoid fever. He almost died, they would not have suspected typhoid without the knowledge of the well.

WKYT - Nick Oliver

WKYT Nick Oliver
This is an ending we can use everytime!

WKYT - Nick Oliver

WKYT Nick Oliver
He’s such a cutie patootie!

My grandson (same age) repeats back what is said to him. If SAR asked him "Were you here all night?", he might just say it back. The more he was asked the more he might say it. Would be be helpful to know if he said it unprompted or after being asked. Or maybe he's a "Doogie Houser" kind of child who is more on top of language and time frames for his age. Or, its a phrase he has in in vocab already. All speculation, but based on hanging around with a 2 year old many many days.

I agree, it is strange wording for a child that age, and especially if he had been out there 3 nights.

Glad you mention this. It is another option I was going to suggest too. Not pinpointing any family member, or Mom or Dad. Possible some random stranger was living back in the woods and snatched him from his yard? Even Dad was shocked at how fast Kenneth disappeared. No scent picked up by dogs initially. Even Dad mentioned abduction. Someone who planned to ask for ransom and then got cold feet. It was announced where the search was going to be when it was reinstated, after being stopped for some unknown reason..."to wait for more information." Leave Kenny out there and voilà, he's found exactly where they searchers were going.

Maybe stuff of a good mystery novel, but it IS possible. All IMO

SALYERSVILLE, Ky. (WKYT) - The Magoffin County toddler who caught the nation's attention after being found alive days after his disappearance is in 'exceptionally good' condition at a West Virginia hospital.

KENNETH+HOWARD+16+9.jpg

Kentucky State Police did say 22-month-old Kenneth Howard is expected to be released from a hospital in Huntington Thursday, but Kenneth's mother said later in the day his discharge is still unknown. Family members are hopeful he will leave Friday, as he continues to suffer from swelling, tick bites and dehydration. Medical professionals were amazed at Howard's condition despite not being seen since Sunday night.

Firefighters with the Prestonsburg Fire Department were among those in the right place at the right time Wednesday when they located Howard and brought him to safety Wednesday, approximately 1,700 feet from the family's home near the Magoffin-Floyd County line. An expert tracker was able to hear the boy cry during the search. Kenneth's father Elden Howard, who offered a $5,000 reward for Kenneth's safe return, said the discovery was like a weight being lifted off the family.

Magoffin County toddler in 'exceptionally good' condition after being found

His little eyes look tired!

IMO, I think they will monitor him due to tick bites. He's at risk for Rocky Mt Spotted Fever, lymes disease, and other complications.

An acquaintance, fell off her horse and was "lost" in the woods for about 24 hours before she was found. She had over 100 tick bites and for some reason went into kidney failure. I don't know if from dehydration or the bites.

Tick are awful in this part of the state right now. I went outside about an hour ago and worked in the garden and when I got back in I found 5 ticks on me. That's a low number compared to what we usually get. Lone star ticks and those tiny ones that are only about the size of a pinhead are bad right now and springtime is almost always the worst. More than likely they'll go ahead and put him on antibiotics for Lyme just in case. My kids have been treated for Lyme Disease a lot, even before they start showing signs. If you catch it early enough and get treatment for it then there's a good chance there won't be any negative effects.

Excellent happy news! It is so scary when "babies" can go wander on their own. I will never forget when my 3 year old, decided to leave the house, and go for a walk to the park! I didn't even think he could open both doors...and after that, Mama had to use the chain locks on the doors.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back