KY KY - Lesley Sparrow, 35, lured to brutal murder, Kenton County, 1979

SouthernSummer

Reaction score
Lesley Sparrow, 35, single, professional, active, great girl was lured to her brutal death by a fake invitation to a fake sky diving competition in 1979. Case gets Zero attention. Let’s change that!

link to article: (photo 0f her in article)
Lesley Sparrow, killed in unsolved '79 murder, to get proper tombstone

There was not a thread here for her. Very little reported on it over the years. LETS CHANGE THAT! Help me please. This case is cold and this po poopis still there

0c7b4d8b-bcad-4748-b248-418017a43478-The_Courier_Journal_Sat__Jan_5__1980_.jpg

Lesley Sparrow, 35, murdered 14 October 1979

Lesley Sparrow was born in Dartford, England, in 1944. In 1964, she moved to the U.S. She was still in touch with family abroad at the time of her death in 1979.

Sparrow worked for a now-defunct aluminum company called Anaconda Industries... The company offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to an arrest, but nothing came of it.

Donald Stamper, then a Boone County Police captain, was interviewed by the Louisville Courier-Journal two months after the slaying. He said that Lesley knew a number of people and had a delightful personality. She still had an accent and she was fun to be around, very independent and friendly. A lot of people liked her...

Sparrow's death is a case of what authorities call “overkill.” Then-coroner Don Stith found her skull had been bashed about 15 times with a tire iron. She also had been shot six times in the head. Add this to the phony skydiving invitation that lured her from Louisville to the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, and it’s obvious this slaying was anything but random.

The investigation:

Whoever killed Sparrow had put on quite a charade. They knew she loved risky sports – white-water rafting was a favorite – and they invoked names of Sparrow’s friends in the invitation.

Stamper learned there was no skydiving event in Arizona and no private plane arranged to make the trip, as Sparrow had told colleagues.

“She was very excited about the trip,” said Charles Ebert, who worked in the corporate security department of the Atlantic Richfield Co., Anaconda’s parent company. “She was a very independent woman. She would take on challenges. She had a lot of spirit, a lot of confidence.”

Stamper said at the time that the motive was clear: "Jealousy," he said, of the girlfriend-boyfriend variety.

Capt. Stamper had alluded to a Louisville man as a suspect, but no charges were ever filed...

Sources:

Boone County Sheriff | Kentucky| Links

Lesley Sparrow, killed in unsolved '79 murder, to get proper tombstone

Lesley Patricia Sparrow
BIRTH
27 May 1944
Dartford Borough, Kent, England
DEATH 14 Oct 1979 (aged 35)
Richwood, Boone County, Kentucky, USA
BURIAL
Boone County Infirmary Cemetery
Burlington, Boone County, Kentucky, USA

Cold Case of Leslie Sparrow
For Other Kentucky Government Sites Visit:
Click here to visit Kentucky.gov, the Official State Government Site for the Commonwealth of Kentucky

State Police Need Information on the case on Murder of Leslie Sparrow - Remains Found on 10/14/1979

Offense Location

Victim located in trunk of her vehicle that was left at the Best Western in Richwood, KY.

Victim Information

Leslie Sparrow, W/F, 35 of Louisville, KY.

Synopsis

Victim was found shot six times with a small caliber weapon. It appeared that she had been shot and beaten in the vehicle in which she was located.

Investigating Officer Contact Information

KENTUCKY STATE POLICE
POST 6 - DRY RIDGE

OFFICER: Lt. Jeff Medley

PHONE: (859) 428-1212
E-MAIL: Jeff.Medley@ky.gov

LINK:

Lesley Patricia Sparrow (1944-1979) - Find A...

Has it ever been looked at as a cold case by L.E? Would they have taken samples that could yield D.N.A. in this day and age? How do you get this to be re looked at?
I have no idea. Sometimes on Reddit, if I don’t have time to read a post, I click save and have it to go back to later. Later was last night and I ended up staying up super just to create this page for her because she wasn’t already on here.

If anyone is looking for a pet case...here you go!!! (I don’t know how to work pet cases)

Whoa! My Dad worked for Anaconda, from the 1950's up past the purchase by Atlantic-Richfield. Not specifically in aluminum.

I'll have to ask him about a woman in Louisville with a British accent.

Re: violence suffered by employees -- some of this was due to union disputes & activities. This person's position may have required tight-rope-walking with union issues.

jmhmemories ymmv lrr

I don’t understand what this is

The Celestial Restaurant in Mount Adams is a place where Lesley Sparrow went on several occasions to dine with an unknown man prior to her murder. The investigator quoted in the news article posted earlier evidently feels there might be a connection.

The photos are of that restaurant.

The Celestial Restaurant in Mount Adams is a place where Lesley Sparrow went on several occasions to dine with an unknown man prior to her murder. The investigator quoted in the news article posted earlier evidently feels there might be a connection.

The photos are of that restaurant.
Ok, I totally missed that. My dang ADHD!!

Whoa! My Dad worked for Anaconda, from the 1950's up past the purchase by Atlantic-Richfield. Not specifically in aluminum.

I'll have to ask him about a woman in Louisville with a British accent.

Re: violence suffered by employees -- some of this was due to union disputes & activities. This person's position may have required tight-rope-walking with union issues.

jmhmemories ymmv lrr

Dad says, in short, that he never worked in the Aluminum division and was never at the plant in Louisville.

No help there....

COLD CASE ON MURDER OF LESLIE SPARROW

State Police Need Information on the case on Murder of Leslie Sparrow – Remains Found on 10/14/1979

Leslie Sparrow was found 38 years ago.

Offense Location

Victim located in trunk of her vehicle that was left at the Best Western in Richwood, KY.

Victim Information

Leslie Sparrow, W/F, 35 of Louisville, KY.

Synopsis

Victim was found shot six times with a small caliber weapon. It appeared that she had been shot and beaten in the vehicle in which she was located.

Investigating Officer Contact Information

KENTUCKY STATE POLICE
POST 6 – DRY RIDGE

OFFICER: Sgt. Gerald Fieger

PHONE: (859) 428-1212
E-MAIL: Jerry.Fieger@ky.gov

LINK:
COLD CASE ON MURDER OF LESLIE SPARROW – kentuckystatepolice.org

Boone Co. detectives have suspect, forensic evidence in 1979 cold case

BOONE COUNTY, Ky. (FOX19) - More than four decades after a woman was found brutally murdered in Boone County, investigators have a suspect and forensic evidence they hope will help them solve the case.

Lesley Sparrow was last seen alive on Oct. 12, 1979. She left her home in Louisville, investigators said, to go skydiving with a man she had been seeing for some time. They were supposedly going to fly on a private jet, from Lunken Airport in Cincinnati to Arizona, with a few other people.

“She was described to be adventurous and outgoing, and that wouldn’t be unusual for her because she was very personable apparently and would meet people constantly," Det. Coy Cox with the Boone County Sheriff’s Office said.

However, by Oct. 14, 1979 Sparrow was dead. The 35-year-old never boarded a plane and was instead found dead in the trunk of her own car outside of a hotel in Richwood.

Cox says Sparrow had been brutally beaten to death.

“Police were called. They get there. The first responder found the vehicle, and there was a lot of blood in the front seat," Cox said.

To this day, detectives say they do not know if the skydiving invitation was legitimate or if it was part of a devious plot to lure Sparrow away from her home.

Investigators say they do have fingerprints, and they even have a suspect.

“Over the years, several detectives that have looked at it felt like that he was actually the person that was involved," Cox said. "There was never enough physical evidence.”

Now, 41 years later, Sparrow rests in a Boone County cemetery, where for years she only had a makeshift marker.

This year, Liam Collins, 15, decided to change that by giving Sparrow a permanent headstone as part of his Eagle Scout project.

“I thought something more permanent, maybe fit in more with the rest of the cemetery would look nicer and especially a gravestone that would withstand the test of time," Collins said. “I think that doing things like this even if no one sees is what you should do just to be a kind person and make sure that everybody even after death has a nice place to rest.”

Cox says the suspect they have been investigating is now dead, but they still hope they can get the evidence they need to solve the case.

Detectives plan to try to track down one of Sparrow’s relatives soon.

Sparrow’s relatives actually live in the United Kingdom, which made it difficult for Sparrow’s remains to be moved back in the ’70′s, hence why she was buried in Boone County.

Anyone with information on the case is urged to call the Boone County Sheriff’s Office Cold Case Unit at 859-334-4807.

Very small space to shoot (6 times!) and beat a person, was the perp a physically small person?

Why did they even bother to put the body in a trunk when the blood scene in the car made it obvious there had been a murder in the car? speculation.

From 1983
Dam I’d like to know who the suspect was...
View attachment 267430

Something about this makes me wonder if Sparrow & this man were having an affair. Google maps shows that the restaurant was about 1 hr 35 away from Louisville, in another city & state. Just seems interesting that they would go that far to meet up for dinners when in the same article it says the guy also lived in Louisville...

Another thought is that they might have worked together and wanted to avoid running into people they knew, including colleagues in Louisville...

I'll also try to do a newspaper article search on this case

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks