KY KY - Owensboro, WhtMale UP87, 25-40, in woods off Pleasant Valley Rd, Jan'90

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by outofthedark, Sep 12, 2007.

1. outofthedark

outofthedark Lyle Stevik's FB Hostess

Moderator note: It was later determined former doenetwork case 133UMKY was falsely identified. This john doe is still unidentified as far as I can tell. Still looking for/need a current Doenetwork or NamUs link.

has been identified as Scott Michael Morris:

The victim was located January 7, 1990 near Owensboro in rural Daviess County, Kentucky. He was identified in September 2007 as Scott Michael Morris, who was last seen leaving a convenience store in Indianapolis in 1978 when he was 14. Morris' family at the time told police that the boy frequently ran away from home but usually returned. His grandmother reported him missing, but it was not until 1989 that the family filed a formal missing persons report. The body was identified after Indianapolis police contacted Kentucky investigators to share a cold case. A description of the missing boy matched the body, and tests on DNA samples from Morris' relatives confirmed his identity.

More info here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20747268/

2. MagicRose99

MagicRose99 Watch out for my thorns!

That's sad... He disappeared from his family 12 years before his body was found... and it took 17 years after his body was found to identify him after that. At least they think they know who's responsible, not only for the abduction but his murder too. I hope they find what they need to get this monster.

3. phenolred

phenolred Active Member

I wonder if the person responsible also killed this Doe found in Kentucky the year prior (1989) his hands were also cut off and was shot (what are the chances of that) ??/
    Most murders dont take the time to cutt of hands do they?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/296umky.html

4. outofthedark

We should send that to LE

5. phenolred

phenolred Active Member

yes I agree, does anyone want to volunteer? Im not sure what to do....

6. outofthedark

I hope the department doing the case has an email somewhere because I could email them if I found an email

7. phenolred

phenolred Active Member

8. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/19247737/detail.html

POSTED: 6:24 am EDT April 22, 2009

Attached Files:

9. outofthedark

10. mayfairlight

mayfairlight Former Member

Oh gosh, I wonder who the poor unidentified boy is then??

How sad.

11. outofthedark

Disappointing that the family no longer has closure, but at the same time, there's at least some renewed hope that he might be still alive somewhere

12. The Green Hornet

The Green Hornet New Member

Any new leads in this case on either Morris or the identification of the John Doe?

13. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

14. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

Still looking for a current link for this John Doe. The Doenetwork case number 133UMKY is no longer valid.

If anyone finds a current link, please add it and let's see if perhaps we can help him find his way home.

TIA

Cubby

15. zinc

zinc Active Member

If he's back up on Doe (I don't think he is), he's not linked in any of the indexes. However, this is his information, courtesy of a Google search. Also, he has an entry in NamUs.

https://identifyus.org/cases/87

His old Doe Network entry:

Unidentified White Male

Located on January 7, 1990 near Owensboro in rural Daviess County, Kentucky.
    Cause of death was homicide. The victim had been shot 6 times with .22 caliber long-rifle and had been beaten.
    Estimated Date of Death: 1 week

Vital Statistics
    Estimated age: 25 - 35 years old
    Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"-5'7"; 125-140 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Curly, medium brown hair with a little gray on the temples; greatest length of hair was 8 inches. Brown eyes; light skinned with tanned arms.
    Dentals: Available. Natural teeth with some fillings.

Case History
    The victim was found by two rabbit hunters east of Owensboro, on Pleasant Valley Road. The man had been murdered, stripped of his clothes and covered with twigs. He was shot several times, his face had been disfigured by some type of blows, blunt force trauma to the face, and his hands and feet had been cut off. The body was dumped in a briar thicket in Daviess County. Investigators believe that this victim may have been from another area.
    The body was not decomposed, indicating that he hadn't been dead for long. Investigators believe, because there was no blood at the scene, that he was murdered somewhere else.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Daviess County Sheriff's Department
    270-685-8444

NCIC Number:
    U-400652197
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.​

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/133umky.html (no longer exists)
    https://identifyus.org/cases/87 (does exist)

16. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

17. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

Thank you Zinc!

I agree they look pretty close Carl. Maybe close enough to submit. The distance is pretty far though. Oregon all the way to KY.

I will update the thread title to add the NamUs case number.

18. Mensch

Mensch Former Member

I haven't read the circumstances but glancing at photo here are my observations.

1) L ear both: has crease across bottom of lobe and the antihelix and the fold look the same.
    2) Same 'pointy' nose
    3) From the angle shown the hair line looks close.

I think you know I never depend on geographical location or time line alone. It would be good to find another photo or drawing of the UP and the MP for better comparison. If that is not possible, I say this looks very close.

19. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I agree on the ears and pointy nose, and I'll add eyebrows and browline. Although the eyebrows are not quite as bushy as the drawing suggests, they are the same shape, and at the nose, they extend inward past the vertical plane of his eyes.

The only thing is that I've dealt with Emily Craig (i.e., the Kentucky ME) on one other occasion, and I know how she operates. If you don't spoonfeed her the fingerprints, dentals or DNA info, she won't lift a finger to try to obtain it herself. She has told me that she doesn't see it as her job to go seek out these things. As she sees it, it's the job of LE on the MP side.

20. Mensch

Mensch Former Member

Okay, I won't get off on a tangent about the lack of coordination of both agencies, so to get results, it is best to play stupid and cheerful, stroking the ego of both and get them connected. Yeah, its all about politics and ego but it can be done.
    So have you determined if you can get what she wants? Most older cases won't have any DNA samples or tissue to get from. As you know many won't have fingerprints. As to the dentals, (forgive me if this seems obvious) having a dental chart is not a guarantee. A chart can rule OUT a person but will not yield positive results for a match. So, what is needed are x-rays or microfilm of the dentals. I will go read the cases now. You are correct on the brow structure. Prominent.