Identified! KY - Prestonsburg, Dewey Lake, Arrowhead Point, UnsUnc Adult, UP89870, Skeletal Remains in Submerged Vehicle - Mar'22 - NamUs removed

YaYa_521

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

*NO IMAGES*

NamUs #UP89870
NamUs Case Created March 21, 2022
ME/C Case Number MEC2022-0183

Unsure, Uncertain
Date Body Found March 18, 2022
Estimated Year of Death--
Estimated PMI--
Inventory of Remains--
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Location Found Prestonsburg, Kentucky
Estimated Age Range--
Estimated Age Group Adult
Height Cannot Estimate
Weight Cannot Estimate
Head Hair Description no hair available
Eye Description no eyes

Clothing - a pair of boxers, size, brand and color indiscernible; a pair of pants with belt (pants brand Big Ben by Wrangler, size 38 x 32; no visible size/brand for belt); shoes and socks (brands unknown)- shoe size 12 EEE; button down shirt with possible fragments of glasses frames. - On the Body

Other - Diet Pepsi can, lighter, combs, toothbrush - Near the Body

Circumstances of Recovery - A submerged vehicle was found in Dewey Lake (Arrowhead Point) in Floyd co, KY. Skeletal remains recovered from inside the vehicle.

The car and the remains were found Friday, Mar. 18, 2022 near State Route 302 in FLOYD COUNTY, Ky. It was a difficult recovery because of the depth of the water and the embankment where the water reaches a depth of about 9 feet.

The Coroner said the remains were sent to Frankfort for identification.

Investigators say the car has been in the lake for some time. They said a fisherman reported seeing something in the water. Agencies at the scene included Floyd County Rescue, the Prestonsburg Police Department, and Kentucky State Police.

Coroner: Skeletal remains found in submerged car in Floyd County

So just as a start off point. I am 6'1" and weigh about 224. I wear a 36 x 32 pants typically. I was in a 38 waist when I was heavier say around 235-250. So maybe that gives a reference point to star searching?

The car and the remains were found Friday, Mar. 18, 2022 near State Route 302 in FLOYD COUNTY, Ky. It was a difficult recovery because of the depth of the water and the embankment where the water reaches a depth of about 9 feet.

The Coroner said the remains were sent to Frankfort for identification.

Investigators say the car has been in the lake for some time. They said a fisherman reported seeing something in the water. Agencies at the scene included Floyd County Rescue, the Prestonsburg Police Department, and Kentucky State Police.

Coroner: Skeletal remains found in submerged car in Floyd County
Thank you for finding this article. I find it odd the report doesn't give a description of the car, especially considering the news crew was at the scene. The 0:27 video shows only one image from the scene in which I don't see the car, unless I'm overlooking it.

SBM
According to our crew at the scene, rescue workers are getting the car properly secured to bring it out of the water.

Prestonburg-KY-submerged-car.jpg

Prestonburg-KY-submerged-car

So just as a start off point. I am 6'1" and weigh about 224. I wear a 36 x 32 pants typically. I was in a 38 waist when I was heavier say around 235-250. So maybe that gives a reference point to star searching?
Ty for sharing! It's hard to say which of these guys would likely fit the clothing description worn by the victim (size 38 x 32 pants & 12 EEE shoes). Mitchell seems like the best match, imo. He was reportedly headed to the hospital which makes me wonder if that's reason there was a toothbrush in the vehicle.

3828DMKY - Mitchell Manns
SBM
Name: Mitchell Manns
Missing Since: March 16, 1990
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 300 lbs

Mitchell Manns was supposedly heading to the McDowell Hospital in Floyd County on March 16th, 1990, but never made it. Police believe foul play could be involved in his disappearance.

4603DMKY - Michael Keith Allen
SBM
Name: Michael Keith Allen
Missing Since: May 30, 2001
Height: 6'8"
Weight: 245-260 lbs

Michael Keith Allen of Langley, Kentucky was last seen on May 30, 2001, at his residence getting into a red pickup with an unknown subject.

Ty for sharing! It's hard to say which of these guys would likely fit the clothing description worn by the victim (size 38 x 32 pants & 12 EEE shoes). Mitchell seems like the best match, imo. He was reportedly headed to the hospital which makes me wonder if that's reason there was a toothbrush in the vehicle.

3828DMKY - Mitchell Manns
SBM
Name: Mitchell Manns
Missing Since: March 16, 1990
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 300 lbs

Mitchell Manns was supposedly heading to the McDowell Hospital in Floyd County on March 16th, 1990, but never made it. Police believe foul play could be involved in his disappearance.

4603DMKY - Michael Keith Allen
SBM
Name: Michael Keith Allen
Missing Since: May 30, 2001
Height: 6'8"
Weight: 245-260 lbs

Michael Keith Allen of Langley, Kentucky was last seen on May 30, 2001, at his residence getting into a red pickup with an unknown subject.
I agree Michael Allen at 6'8" would be too tall to wear men's pants with a 32" inseam I would think.

Thank you for this perspective!

I used to work in a tuxedo store, and at 12EE i thought "that's a big guy!"

38x32 pants, not that unusual.

jmho ymmv lrr

Fox56's report doesn't include information on the car either. :confused: Seems odd to me.

ETA - Google Maps - Dewey Lake near state Route 302 and Water Gap Road.

Human remains found in car removed from lake
SBM
...an area near state Route 302 and Water Gap Road
This is Arrowhead Point itself.
1661868458501.png

Water Gap Road is KY-302 and wasn't constructed until sometime in the late-1960's (not on a topo map from 1965 but is on maps from 1973 onward). There was a road roughly where it is now that was just far enough off from the current track that it was mostly inundated in 1949. I'm not sure how the car would have gotten into the lake. Accidentally driving into the water there and someone purposefully putting a car there would be just about as unlikely/likely.

How did the come across the submerged car?

There is high speculation about 3 missing men from my hometown that may have wound up in one of the many bodies of water surrounding the area.

How did the come across the submerged car?

There is high speculation about 3 missing men from my hometown that may have wound up in one of the many bodies of water surrounding the area.

Per an earlier article, "They said a fisherman reported seeing something in the water."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back