Aug is Utah Cold Case month and the Utah Cold Case Coalition is featuring Rosie Tapia's case
Click on Rosie Tapia's Thread and help Websleuths find Rosie's killer

GUILTY KY - Randy Russ, 54, UC professor, Dry Ridge, 15 August 2014

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by los2188, Sep 1, 2014.

1. los2188

los2188 North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

Randy Russ
    [​IMG]

UC Professor goes missing, family desperate to find him

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -
    http://www.fox19.com/story/26421581/family-desperate-to-find-missing-uc-professor

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. rizzo0904

rizzo0904 Well-Known Member

4. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://www.wcpo.com/news/region-nor...northern-kentucky-man-missing-since-august-16

http://www.700wlw.com/articles/local-news-119585/family-and-police-want-to-find-12722763

Randy's FB: https://www.facebook.com/randall.russ.5

5. rizzo0904

rizzo0904 Well-Known Member

According to fb, he's widowed. I wonder when his wife passed away and if this could be depression related to that? He also has two daughters...one is posting on fb trying to find him, the other is taking fish face selfies.

6. los2188

[video]http://www.wcpo.com/news/region-northern-kentucky/university-of-cincinnati-professor-northern-kentucky-man-missing-since-august-16#UC%20professor%20missing%20for%20weeks[/video]

7. angela

angela Member

It has been reported that he was friendly and loved to talk to others but no one missed him for 2 weeks. That is ODD.

8. los2188

Quite strange.

9. Twitit

Twitit New Member

10. TravelingBug

TravelingBug Verified Insider

Only Kate and her sister are mentioned, but I wonder if he has any step-kids?

Also, this is very odd wording to me:

KSP doesn't sound especially concerned or urgent about this.

11. TravelingBug

TravelingBug Verified Insider

This article is totally different than the HP one. That one said KATE and other relatives went to the house after all the odd things added up and raised alarm flags, and then discovered everything amiss (and some things missing) in the home.

Whereas this one says THE BEST FRIEND (who R was supposed to take to the appointment) went to the home, discovered everything amiss, the prescriptions there, etc. And then has his sister as the one saying basically everything Kate was quoted as saying in the HP one.

Definitely doesn't seem to be a good sign that the medication in the house is heart medication.

This is also interesting:

Here it sounds like R's sister (the 'Fetters' quoted above) is the one who is afraid something has happened to him, and if Kate (daughter) may be thinking he may have left by choice?

The HP article very much seems to indicate Kate thinks he's gone (and not by choice) and something happened - for all the reasons his sister stated here.

Sort of seems like there's a mix up of who's saying what in the media maybe?

12. DocBrew

DocBrew Well-Known Member

Hmm. Doubtful it is suicide with no note. I realize that no note suicides are prevalent, but it seems to me that he would want his animals cared for. Most likely a car accident, IMO.

13. Dixie811

Dixie811 New Member

I would like to know the driving routes Randy would take regularly. Anywhere his car could have gone off the road would be a good place to begin searching. I feel that Randy is probably deceased, but that his death could be either accidental or foul play. I guess I mostly wonder whether this was an accident due to the car not yet being found abandoned, which we see so often in foul play cases.

I hope the family can get some help from LE. Doesn't sound like there is much effort on their part.

14. Indy Anna

Indy Anna Well-Known Member

<snipped>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...ing_n_5754618.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

While the guns missing could suggest he was suicidal, his missing a friend's appointment (to give him a ride), leaving his pets unattended and leaving clothes in the washer suggest otherwise. I had thought the possibility of a hunting accident, but why would he take jewelry with him to hunt?

Without knowing about the missing items, I would think that he'd gotten an emergency phone call and took off. Missing jewelry indicates theft unless he'd sold it or given it away without his family's knowledge. I wonder if it's women's jewelry that's missing and if it was his wife's. If so, has he been seeing someone? Have LE checked his computer?

15. Dixie811

Dixie811 New Member

This seems unlikely, but it could be possible he pawned those items. Jewelry and firearms are popular items to pawn when one is in need of cash. And I highly doubt he would have told his family if that was the case.

16. DocBrew

DocBrew Well-Known Member

Changed my mind. This info leads me more towards foul play. Def. not suicide, IMO.

17. Indy Anna

This is the most recent update I could find. Really nothing new.

http://www.newsrecord.org/news/univ...cle_a3366bd4-33e5-11e4-8c8d-0017a43b2370.html

<snipped>

18. SchoolgirlShamus

SchoolgirlShamus Quaint & Curious

Thank you, Indy Anna. This seems really alarming, especially the delay in the discovery that he'd gone missing, and the lack of information.

19. Plumeria5

Plumeria5 New Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...ing_n_5754618.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

"My dad loves animals -- he's got three dogs and a cat -- and those animals had been in the house for two weeks, without any food or water," she said.

How many times pets are left to suffer when people go missing. It doesn't even say if they survived. :(
    The picture of Randy from FB is not a very flattering photo. Someone even commented on his FB wondering what was up with the picture.

20. los2188

Randall Russ: Search for missing UC instructor, Grant County High School teacher is getting nowhere
    http://www.wcpo.com/news/region-nor...county-high-school-teacher-is-getting-nowhere

21. Indy Anna

From the article you linked:

BBM Since Russ's vehicle is also missing, I think it's odd that there's been little mention of it. Why isn't a picture of a green Ford Focus on the Missing poster along with the license plate number? This is even the first I remember seeing the lp#.

If there has still been no cell phone or credit card activity since the last time it can be verified (more than two weeks before he disappeared, I presume), then I suspect an accident rather than foul play. When someone disappears with their vehicle, it's usually because they ran off the road, either into a ravine or a pond. I wonder, where was the last ping from Russ's cell phone? He seemingly left the house on an errand in the middle of doing laundry, so IMO he was going to a store to quickly pick up some items. He possibly had a heart attach. I hope searches have been done of ravines and ponds along the route Russ would have taken to any stores in the area, looking for brush that has been disturbed, breaks in fences, etc.

The only thing really suggestive of foul play (other than missing jewelry, possibly) is that his landline phone was disconnected. Did he did get cell phone reception at home? If so, maybe he decided to cancel his landline service. It would be interesting to know how Russ normally contacted friends and family, and how they contacted him. Did he use the cell only while traveling? Was there a record of a conversation he had with the phone company, requesting to cancel his phone service? Was the phone simply unplugged from the wall -- was it in working order; if not, maybe Russ was heading out to buy a new telephone when he disappeared.

The outcome does not look good, I'm sorry to say. If Russ had an accident, I'm afraid he won't be found until late autumn/winter, when thick foliage has died back.

BBM

http://www.newsrecord.org/news/univ...cle_a3366bd4-33e5-11e4-8c8d-0017a43b2370.html