KY - Rowan County clerk Kim Davis Jailed for Contempt

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Tulessa, Sep 3, 2015.

1. kimlynn

kimlynn Former Member

That compromise will cost thousands of dollars if they meet before the three months they are due to meet. She is one person. I don't think that sounds fair minded of her.IMO

2. Wyle_E_Coyote

Wyle_E_Coyote Northern Virginia

The only way to change a Supreme Court ruling is through an amendment to the Constitution.

Ain't gonna happen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. bwt42

bwt42 Former Member

Can't click until the story has been introduced & made interesting by the media.

4. kimlynn

kimlynn Former Member

There is coverage of almost everything that happens in our world on various sites. It is the interest of the public that keeps some stories on the front page.IMO

5. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

6. La Louve

La Louve For Whitney and Teghan

BBM if that were true, then why are we not seeing news coverage of EVERY county clerk in the country that is not in compliance with the Supreme Court decision? Last I heard, there were 13 counties across the country that are not issuing marriage licenses to gay couples or to any couples. If MSM is driving the outrage then I would think by your logic that they would be covering all of the counties where this is occurring.

7. La Louve

La Louve For Whitney and Teghan

Marriage is legal in Kentucky. Issuing marriage licenses is part of what Miss Kim's job has entailed for many years.

8. KaaBoom

KaaBoom `·.¸¸ ><((((º> ...·´`·.¸¸ ><((((º>...·

The Supreme Court doesn't make laws. They rule on laws, and they are the highest court in the United States. They are the ultimate authority. So your hypothetical doesn't make any sense. It's impossible. Who is going to overrule the Supreme Court?

9. bwt42

bwt42 Former Member

We are talking MSM. I agree the news media wants readership & therefore money. However, I believe the stories they choose to promote can be influenced by ideology. JMO

10. kimlynn

kimlynn Former Member

In some cases,yes. Fox news would be a prime example. But again it goes back to what their viewers and readers want. For instance not many liberals follow Fox so they play to their main audience in their coverage. IMO

11. TorisMom003

TorisMom003 New Member

I think she has already proven that she isn't fair minded. She believes it is her way or no way, just like so many other so called "Christians" that believe their religious beliefs trump the beliefs of anyone not like them.

MOO

12. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

JMO everyone has the right to their opinions and their beliefs and their faith. However, no one has the right to be in contempt of the court, and government officials do not have the right to deny people their legal rights.

MOO.

13. bluesneakers

bluesneakers not today satan

I have seen so many of these lately. Fabio, Han Solo, Winston Zeddemore from Ghostbusters, Dana Scully, and others, but this is the one that made me laugh the loudest so I'm compelled to share.

freddie.jpg

14. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

(CNN)Kim Davis, America's highest-profile county clerk, returned to work Monday vowing to deny marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

But that didn't stop Carmen and Shannon Wampler-Collins from successfully walking out of the Rowan County, Kentucky, clerk's office with a marriage license in hand.

The marriage license that the couple received said "pursuant to federal court order" on it, and instead of listing Davis' name and Rowan County, it says city of Morehead, the county seat.
    "I'm ... confident and satisfied that the licenses that were issued last week (and) this morning substantially comply with the law in Kentucky," Gov. Steve Beshear told reporters Monday. "And they're going to be recognized as valid in the Commonwealth."
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/14/politics/kim-davis-same-sex-marriage-kentucky/

This may have been posted, it's not a fresh article, but worth a read:

[video]http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/03/opinions/coates-clerk-same-sex-marriage-contempt/index.html[/video]

15. sonjay

sonjay Active Member

Yep. SCOTUS decisions are final. Not because they're necessarily always right, but just because they're final. (In this case, I do believe they're right.)

Unless the holy-roller types manage to amend the constitution. Which the gun-grabber faction admits, when they're honest, they would have to do in order to ban guns. If the anti-gay-marriage faction has enough staying power, that will be on their agenda.

Fortunately, our constitution is very difficult to amend. The gun-grabbers won't be able to do it, and the holy-roller anti-gay-marriage people won't be able to do it. I hope.

16. sonjay

sonjay Active Member

I disagree. IMO, media cover the stories that they're interested in.

I remember one of my journalism professors in college (I majored in journalism) used to say, "The media don't necessarily tell us what to think, but they tell us what to think about."

17. bluesneakers

The anti-gay marriage faction has its eyes set on turning America into its own theocracy. Simply changing the Constitution doesn't go far enough.

JMO.

18. sonjay

sonjay Active Member

Because they pick and choose. In their defense, they do have to pick and choose; there's simply not the time nor resources nor space to cover everything.

Why does one violent crime get major coverage and not another?
    Why does Bruce->Caitlyn get huge coverage, but my trans brother didn't get any?
    Why does one dead criminal get to be a hero in MSM, and another is just another dead criminal?
    Why, for that matter. does W-S have major 100+-page threads on some crimes, but not a peep about others?

In this case, the media have their perfect poster child. KD is an apostolic something-or-other. So.... fundie. She's not very attractive. She dresses dowdy because of her religion. She's both a beneficiary and a dispenser of nepotism. She's been divorced multiple times. She's a great poster child because of the hypocrisy of someone like her judging the morality of other people's marriages.

MSM isn't covering all the counties where this is happening because they don't need all the counties to make it a huge story. They only need one good one. And this is indeed a good one.

19. bluesneakers

My journalism professor told us "The news is what people want and need to know." (Then we memorized a list to see if what we wanted to talk about met the criteria.)

Unfortunately a lot of media corps and journalists care more about pushing agendas, bottom line, and celebrity than they do about reporting news, so viewers who want to stay informed are stuck with limited options and have to triple-check everything.

20. sonjay

sonjay Active Member

Sometimes a later Supreme Court does.

Plessy vs. Ferguson was a SCOTUS decision.

Brown vs. Board of Education overruled it.