Kyron's backpack

Not sure if he took his lunch daily but he did have a new lunch box on the way

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20399962,00.html

"Kaine and Terri, Kyron's stepmom, also ordered a Toy Story 3 lunch box, timed to arrive at their blue wood-framed house in the community of Skyline Ridge, outside Portland, Ore., around the film's June 18 opening. The lunch box arrived on schedule, but Kyron, 7-who has been missing since June 4-was not there to receive it. "I cried when it showed up," says Kaine Horman, 36, holding the colorful lunch box."To have that show up with him not here, it was just devastating."

Oh, God, that poor father.

I wonder what the stepmother's response was. Any mention anywhere of that?

So, if he left his jacket in the classroom and left with Terri, Terri risked being noticed even more with a child with no jacket on a chilly morning? I commented on this before, but if I saw a parent leaving with a school-aged child that early in the morning, I would mentally note it--and if it was jacket-weather, I would probably note that Terri and the toddler had jackets while Kyron did not...

So, if he left his jacket in the classroom and left with Terri, Terri risked being noticed even more with a child with no jacket on a chilly morning? I commented on this before, but if I saw a parent leaving with a school-aged child that early in the morning, I would mentally note it--and if it was jacket-weather, I would probably note that Terri and the toddler had jackets while Kyron did not...

Although it was chilly and rainy here that day, you would be amazed at how many kids go to school w/o jackets and go to school in shorts and flip flops in 50 degree weather.

Surely the significance of the jacket on a cool morning, and the contents or lack of them in the lunchbox, is not lost on the staff of Skyline OR The parents & LE????
I smell a plot....& the :furious:stench is getting worse.

Although it was chilly and rainy here that day, you would be amazed at how many kids go to school w/o jackets and go to school in shorts and flip flops in 50 degree weather.

I am also in Oregon and I agree. A child not wearing a jacket could very well go unnoticed.

Well that brings up a question I had early on. I'm not sure where this would fit, so I'll post it here.

I was a bit surprised that LE would hold interviews at the school on Sunday, and allow school to start back on Monday morning (and allow the 'field day' on Thursday as announced by the principal). It's bad enough all day passed before they had a chance to thoroughly process the school for evidence, does anyone believe they could have done so in one day (Saturday)? I wonder about that...

I think it's the same problem as with KH's truck: what could they find that would advance the investigation? I believe that is why that truck has not been impounded (no evidentiary value).

Since it is certain that Kyron disappeared before 10 am but wasn't discovered to be missing until 3:30 pm, I'm sure that all the floors had been mopped, all the bathrooms cleaned, commonly handled surfaces like door knobs, etc, were probably all wiped off. Probably more than once.

Kids are innately grubby, sticky beasts. In elementary schools, the best way is to keep abreast as much as possible, which means cleaning throughout the day. As soon as some area gets a chance to get dirty, it gets cleaned whether it actually looks like it needs it or not.

Plus there's the constant concern about trying to slow down kids passing germs to each other. That is most effectively done by wiping down commonly handled surfaces (door knobs, table tops, etc) as often as possible.

I think the public areas of the school were probably written off for evidence pretty quickly. In a building that something like 600 people had passed through the day of Kyron's disappearance, trying to track down every single fingerprint would be a nightmare and probably economically impossible.

That would leave checking non-public areas for anything suspicious, which could be done pretty quickly (it's easy to check for the presence of blood, for instance).

I think their main concern would be to make sure that Kyron was not still within the building. With the help of cadaver dogs, that could be done in a matter of hours.

I assume the teacher either didn't notice if Kyron left his backpack or maybe it wasn't uncommon for there to be backpacks and jackets to be left behind. I know my kids were great at that.
Also, as far as him leaving without his backpack he may have been told he would be back soon so he should leave them there.
If we go with the belief that Terri took Kyron, then it seems that she would have made sure that these two things were left behind (along with anything else Kyron normally brought back and forth to school with him), as she claims he disappeared after she waved good-bye to him in the hallway that morning at 8:45am.

All the different people who were told that Kyron had a doctor's appointment were used for the school day, so Kyron would not be missed. Once reported that he'd disappeared from the school, Terri claimed that the teacher was confused and hard of hearing. As for what she may or may not of had to say regarding the others she (or Kyron) told about his mysterious doctor's appointment, she probably came up with some reasons why they also misunderstood.

Just my thoughts on this.

I still think it would be noticeable if the parent and sibling that were with him had jackets and he did not--I wonder...

I still think it would be noticeable if the parent and sibling that were with him had jackets and he did not--I wonder...

Ya, if she sent him to school with a backpack and jacket I'd bet she, and for sure BabyK had one too. It was COOOOLD in areas like Skyline that morning. COOOOOOLLLLLLLLD (I'm always too hot/hormonal and I was huddled in my jacket around the time they left the school wishing I'd worn thermals. In June!).

If Terri did ensure these items were left at school wouldn't that be risky? I am a teacher & it's amazing how the kids know whose bag, jacket is whose, particularly if they went out to play at playtime. It would only take 1 child to point out to the teacher that Kyron's things were there, but Kyron was not. This would make the school look for Kyron as soon as possible.
I don't believe Kyron would voluntarily leave school without his jacket in that cold weather. He was only wearing the thin CSI t shirt. I am sure if Terri insisted he would have made a fuss which could have been noticed by others. It also rules out the Terri accidentally hurt Kyron, as leaving those items there indicates prior knowledge that she wanted it to seem like he was taken from school.
It all seems very risky of Terri if she did abduct Kyron, it would only have taken 1 person to see her leaving the school with him to implicate her.

If Terri did ensure these items were left at school wouldn't that be risky? I am a teacher & it's amazing how the kids know whose bag, jacket is whose, particularly if they went out to play at playtime. It would only take 1 child to point out to the teacher that Kyron's things were there, but Kyron was not. This would make the school look for Kyron as soon as possible.
I don't believe Kyron would voluntarily leave school without his jacket in that cold weather. He was only wearing the thin CSI t shirt. I am sure if Terri insisted he would have made a fuss which could have been noticed by others. It also rules out the Terri accidentally hurt Kyron, as leaving those items there indicates prior knowledge that she wanted it to seem like he was taken from school.
It all seems very risky of Terri if she did abduct Kyron, it would only have taken 1 person to see her leaving the school with him to implicate her.

I agree, Sherazhad. I taught for several years, and I never had a child leave his/her items at school for any reason--for example, when leaving for an appointment or leaving school from illness.

I don't think the teacher noticed his items at all--it sounds like it was a very busy day. When I think about it and try to time it, it must have been going from one activity to the next (I wonder if they went outside at all that day?!). If the science fair ended at 10:00 (is this correct?), they would have most likely had their r/r break, then started some of their morning work. Lunch starts early in elementary schools--possibly as early as 10:45--for second graders, their lunch may have been anywhere from 11:15-12:00, then another r/r break, then whatever tasks in the classroom, but situated into place for the talent show that started at 1:00. If the talent show lasted an hour, they may have had one more hour in the classroom before it was time to gather everything and leave... And, I haven't even included extra-curricular activities (did they have library that day, computer, music, etc.)...

My son who is Kyron's age would have come home from school several times without his coat and backpack if it wasn't for the adults reminding him so I wouldn't necessarily rely on Kyron remembering them. It is a good point about him possibly attracting more attention if he went out without his jacket next to some other people all dressed up for the cold and the rain but of course it presupposes that somebody saw him at all.

If it was extremely premeditated the abductor could have come armed with another coat for him, both to shelter him from the cold and to distract. You know, if a witness says she saw a boy dressed in a red and white jacket climb into a truck, they can say, "No, it was not Kyron, it was some other boy, he's got a blue jacket and it was left at school anyway."

bbm

I'm not sure about the chilly weather/jacket factor...many an Oregonian have been known to wear shorts & their Birkenstock's in rainy weather! ;)

bbm

If the one account from Kyron's friend is to be believed, students did point out to at least one adult that Kyron wasn't there, and the information was just dismissed casually. I know, 20-20 hindsight and all, confusion over the appointment, whatever; I'm not trying to blame the teacher. Just pointing out that things don't get noticed as much as it seems like they should. People see what they think is supposed to be happening.

I doubt the presence or absence of Kyron's stuff was very likely to make much of a difference to the reaction if there really was a belief that he was going to go to the doctor's with his stepmom. If they were not quite sure when he was going to leave they might have seen his belongings there and thought, "he must not have left yet since his coat is there, maybe he's in the bathroom or something". Then later when no Kyron surfaces they'd simply figure out that he left already and forgot his things, or wonder if he planned to come back after the doctor's appointment. Maybe there wasn't going to be any homework for the weekend so the backpack was no big deal, and children frequently have more than one jacket so it wasn't considered that alarming either.

It would be different if you have a suddenly missing child who left all his things and no one had any idea that he was going anywhere but if there was reason to think that he was somewhere safe with his stepmom and a doctor I don't think his property would have caused alarm.

At my kids' school they have several tables in the foyer which are completely covered with lost and found lunch boxes, backpacks, jackets, t-shirts, books and more. These tables stay full, sometimes piled to overflowing! They remind parents and children to look through these items several times a year to see if it belongs to their child. Still, we donate what is left over every year to charity. I suspect that most of these items are found in the lunchroom, halls, gym and in the area outside where kids wait for busses and parents to pick them up.

Maybe items which are left in their own classrooms are more likely to be returned to the proper owner, but I am surprized to read the experiences of teachers here at WS who have never had a child leave personal items in their classroom. I guess it depends upon the size of the classes and dilligence of the teacher.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back