Kyron's Law

Security cameras certainly wouldn't hurt the safety of the children. A few years back my son's school started locking all doors and put an intercom in at the main entrance. You had to buzz the office to be let in, then had to sign the guest book. I think I would have rather had security cameras at that point. Although I always stopped at the office to let them know I was there to see the kids, I often stopped by unannounced to check on them. I needed to know my boys were properly being cared for/treated by school staff as well ('cause we all know evil lurks everywhere). I'd rather see cameras than being locked out of my child's school. It wouldn't hurt for all school boards to re-evaluate safety plans either.

I worked at a large university and there were cameras in all the dorms. The classrooms didn't generally have cameras but the dorms did at the entrances, in the main hallways and on elevators. It's a little different situation because dorms aren't as controlled by authority figures as K-12 schools are, and dorms are occupied at night. But universities do have a responsibility to parents to provide safe dorm environments just like K-12 schools are responsible for the safety of the students under their care.

http://thekyronhormanpetition.ning.com/

This petition is for Kryon Horman and for every child NATION WIDE to be provided SAFETY AND SECURITY. No child should ever be put in a position where their safety is put to the test and left in question.

This petition is for everyone to join together and make it mandatory that every school should have a survalence system and provide a system of security for every student/child attending.
<snipped from FB site to explain what this is about>

Do you agree that every school should be required to have a surveillance system? And should it be called "Kyron's Law"?

No, I do not agree that every school should be required to have a surveillance system.

In rural areas, small schools are one of the things that keep tiny towns alive. In the tiny town nearest me (less than 1000 inhabitants), the question of a surveillance system comes up every few years.

And is voted down every time, so far. Funding such a system would mean eliminating something else. The last time it came up, the estimated cost of the system was roughly equal to the extra hours the school nurse works over and above the state mandated minimum. Those extra hours allow the school nurse to get to know the kids better overall and to provide many extra services. Fund something that may never be used? Or fund extra hours for someone who provides a lot of services for students with every hour worked?

Every other line item that is not state mandated gets the same result: the computer center gives the kids experience they will need in today's world, the enrichment programs facilitate learning and give the children wider experience in language, math and science, etc.

For this tiny, rural town, the question is a no-brainer.

Unfunded mandates are the bane of small towns. There are fewer than 20,000 people in the entire county, so every time the blowhards in the state or national government get the brilliant idea to mandate something without funding it, each and every county resident feels the pinch. Usually the pinch for any one thing isn't very much, but over time, all those pinches start to hurt.

And then that raises a greater question: make it too expensive for America's farmers to BE farmers and what are ya'll going to eat?

In a perfect world, all schools would have working cameras, but then again, in a perfect world, they would not be needed.

I don't think cameras would have saved Kyron from his fate, whatever that fate is. It is possible that a suspect would have been arrested and charged by now, but by the time LE would have reviewed the tapes, Kyron would have been long gone and probably, already met his fate.

It would be great if some big company in each city would supply or offset the costs of cameras for schools. But there are so many things needing funding nowadays. Of course it is not acceptable to have a child go missing from a school...but as he most likely left in the care of a step parent, I am not sure a law is the answer.

Our local middle and high schools have been helped by having armed security policemen on every campus.

However, that doesn't mean crime doesn't happen or that children stop taking drugs. It's impossible to stop that. Kids still have fist fights and skip school too because that's what teenagers do. It just means that someone might catch them more often or break up fights and bullying.

I don't believe even an armed security guard could have saved Kyron because I believe he walked out of there with his own stepmother. JMOO. If TH had seen a security guard she would have just waited till he walked away to another part of the school.

And we've all seen heartbreaking security footage of children being led away by strangers or children being beaten by their parents inside a Wal Mart or somewhere. A camera can't stop evil, it can only document it sometimes.

In a perfect world, all schools would have working cameras, but then again, in a perfect world, they would not be needed.

I don't think cameras would have saved Kyron from his fate, whatever that fate is. It is possible that a suspect would have been arrested and charged by now, but by the time LE would have reviewed the tapes, Kyron would have been long gone and probably, already met his fate.

It would be great if some big company in each city would supply or offset the costs of cameras for schools. But there are so many things needing funding nowadays. Of course it is not acceptable to have a child go missing from a school...but as he most likely left in the care of a step parent, I am not sure a law is the answer.

I am reminded of the legal maxim "hard cases make bad precedent."

If people really want to increase the security of every child, make sure that every child graduates from high school. There are a tiny handful of cases like Kyron's over the last 50 years but there are cases of high school dropouts in just about every high school in the country. Those dropouts will have a much more difficult time in life, will disproportionately bear the brunt of economic downturns, etc.

Graduation rates have far more effect on every child's life than security cameras but it's not a "feel good" issue like security cameras.

I would be more than happy to sign..... show me the X_________________________

I'm opposed to the widespread use of surveillance systems, particularly in the public sector, except where there is an advanced need for heightened security. At this time, schools don't fall into that realm. While the reasoning is sound -- in the interest of protecting children, no measures are too extreme -- I can't support this effort. I see it as an issue that should be decided at a local level, where individual communities choose whether or not to allow electronic surveillance in their schools. A federal law mandating the practice only furthers government's encroachment on our privacy, which already seems to be inching its way closer to our homes.

I also wonder what would be the practical effect of all these cameras. Would it ease the responsibilities of school employees? Cause them to be less vigilant? Encourage complacency? Would parents begin to take for granted their child's safety while in school? Most definitely. So many parents already deny the risk factors that threaten children because they're either too selfish or lazy to take the necessary steps to protect them. This law would give them one more reason to shuck their responsibility. Likewise for many weary teachers.

A better use of federal funds would be mandatory security training for school employees and parents to be completed at least once every two years. Ideally, it would include instruction on the dangers, best practices to safeguard against them, and non-threatening methods to teach children to protect themselves. The added bonus would be armor that children carry with them beyond the schoolgrounds. I realize that many schools do implement some form of safety instruction for kids, but what are the standards? How often are parents included? A half-day intensive seminar with supplemental classroom materials offered at a few different times in the first few weeks of each school year would place the responsibility back where it belongs, in the hands of the adults who are entrusted with the welfare of our children.

The thanks button wasn't enough; you articulated my thoughts so well you have saved me some fingerprints. :)

Ada Wong and GrainneDhu
, the same to you.. thank you for your contributions!

I realize funding is the issue. If we put that aside, do we as parents, really think that cameras in the schools is an infringement on our childrens rights??? Come on, really now. You could interpret every safeguard we put in place that way. Seatbelts, airbags, carseats - years ago we didn't have any of those things. But they are in place now FOR SAFETY REASONS. I know those examples are quite a stretch, but how can someone say that having camera's around a school would impede a child's learning or infringe on their rights. If it were my child, I would pray that there was some kind of record of who was at that school that morning. I am sure if it were any one of our children we would hope for the same. The students rights be damned, I want to know who has my child. I don't think anyone really thinks a camera would have stopped or prevented anything from happening, but it certainly would have given the authorities a place to look.
Perhaps, companies that upgrade their current surveillance systems would be willing to donate the older ones to local schools. Years ago, they used to donate computers to the schools that way.

Only my opinion.

Back in the news today here in Portland....

---snip---

A new petition is circulating to pass a law that would require all public schools and school buses have security cameras. Cameras were installed at Kyron&#8217;s school, Skyline Elementary, after a private citizen covered the costs.

Kyron&#8217;s father, Kaine Horman, said the petition, known as &#8220;Kyron&#8217;s Law,&#8221; is a good idea. He isn&#8217;t formally connected with the effort, but hopes his son&#8217;s disappearance leaves to legislation that protects kids.

link: http://www.katu.com/news/local/118374254.html

Cameras will not prevent kids from being kidnapped at school, and it's not even a guarantee that they'll help to solve any cases since footage tends to be grainy a lot of the time. In the McStay case, there's a footage of a family crossing from the US to Mexico but there's a debate about whether it's really them. Plus, kidnappings from school are very rare and aren't a big enough issue to be spending billions of dollars on (yes, for every school in the country to have multiple cameras will probably go into the billion dollar range). If cameras stop a kidnapper from taking a child from a school, they'll kidnap them when they're walking home. And, if you're bold/psycho enough to come into a school to take a kid, you're not going to care about cameras, that will just give you a bigger "high" in a way. I also suspect it's only called Kyron's Law because of how high profile is (therefore, more attention) because I don't see how having cameras at Skyline would mean that Kyron would be home and safe right now.

It's questionable whether cameras could have prevented Kyron's disappearance. He might have been seen walking in a corridor or out the door alone and then just "vanished" off camera. If he was the victim of a kidnapping staged by his stepmother, school cameras would have just meant he would have diappeared from somewhere else. If TH did this, and her husband didn't foresee it and prevent it, I think it is hard to blame the school.

If someone else abducted Kyron, it was a very clever individual who managed to carry out the crime without being seen with Kyron in the school or outside of it. Unless cameras were everywhere, I don't see how they would have prevented such a crime, particulalry if the perp just told Kyron (perhaps in a large group) to meet him or her at a point outside where they would not be noticed. Again, all we would have is Kyron leaving a building.

The posters who note that educational budgets are already being cut drastically in many states make a valid point that one case, however heartbreaking, should not require thousands of schools, some barely functioning, to invest in camera systems in order to prevent kidnapping. I am not in favor of turning schools into sites where people are being watched every second. Good order in a school should come from thoughtful planning of events like the science fair at Skyline, where a simple sign in/sign out system would have done far more than video. Students should also be taught basic safety procedures and expect to sign in and out if coming late or leaving the building. A simple rule for kids: Don't leave with anyone--even parents or guardians--without reporting to the principal's office. Most schools are locked up tight these days, anyway; people can't get in and have limited access to the building. (I have been in two or three different schhols in the past year and could not have walked out with a stapler, let alone a child.) Better to alarm the fire doors and have good systems, vigilant teachers and staff, and kids who understand not to leave without reporting to the office first. Most schools have those systems in place today, which is probably one reason why these situations are so very rare.

I don't know if cameras inside the school would do much other than maybe keep kids from acting up in the halls, or something like that. But if you are going to put cameras in, do it at the entrance of the school drive, one that when a car or truck comes in, the tag is captured. This way at least you have a record of vehicles coming in and going out. I think this was an inside job with Kyron, the school wasn't secure that day and it was an easy day to take him or have him set up for someone to get him to leave. Someone knew that.

Hoping Kyron comes home soon.

I don't know if cameras inside the school would do much other than maybe keep kids from acting up in the halls, or something like that. But if you are going to put cameras in, do it at the entrance of the school drive, one that when a car or truck comes in, the tag is captured. This way at least you have a record of vehicles coming in and going out. ......the school wasn't secure that day and it was an easy day to take him or have him set up for someone to get him to leave. Someone knew that.

Well said and I very much agree!

I think if there is a law passed at some point; it should cover the perimeter of our schools; every exit point and where it leads, not just the cars coming in. (although that is a fantstic idea about gettng the tags.)

Money isn't the issue IMHO, I think most would gladly give that to keep our kids safe. But, in every classroom, hallway, bathroom, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse? .....
*shakes head and chuckles* (Sorry, I think I was starting to channel Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugitive. but you get my point hopefully.)

There's a point of too much and I think, again just MHO here, that especially for some of the younger kids- cameras and/or security guards all over the place might be kinda scary and make them paranoid that they're going to get "taken". If they were discreetly put up outside like I mentioned then maybe that wouldnt happen. Maybe it still would, I dunno.... *sigh*

Im on the fence a bit but its really swaying in the breeze so hopefully Ill fall off soon, hahaha.

I'm afraid that too many schools would think that surveillance cameras make a substitute for well-thought-out procedures that are consistently followed, and staff that is trained to know the procedures, adhere to them, and alert somebody if there's a breach. The school was not even following its own rules for attendance, tracking of strangers, and notifying parents. If those had been followed, Kyron's disappearance would at very least have been discovered much sooner and might have been prevented altogether.

And until we know what happened to him, we don't know whether surveillance cameras would even have helped.

I'm afraid that too many schools would think that surveillance cameras make a substitute for well-thought-out procedures that are consistently followed, and staff that is trained to know the procedures, adhere to them, and alert somebody if there's a breach. The school was not even following its own rules for attendance, tracking of strangers, and notifying parents. If those had been followed, Kyron's disappearance would at very least have been discovered much sooner and might have been prevented altogether.

And until we know what happened to him, we don't know whether surveillance cameras would even have helped.

I agree with you Carbuff. Very well said. Cameras are needed but not in lieu of better policies and procedures. Well-thought out, standardized and consistently followed procedures for hiring school employees, communicating attendance to parents, and tracking non-student individuals on campus is imperative to keeping our children safer at school. And, these aren't something an individual school can develop on their own, school districts need advice from security professionals, those who know criminal minds at all levels. God bless all of our children. Never a day goes by where I don't pray for my child's and all childrens' safety at school.

Cameras will not prevent kids from being kidnapped at school, and it's not even a guarantee that they'll help to solve any cases since footage tends to be grainy a lot of the time. In the McStay case, there's a footage of a family crossing from the US to Mexico but there's a debate about whether it's really them. Plus, kidnappings from school are very rare and aren't a big enough issue to be spending billions of dollars on (yes, for every school in the country to have multiple cameras will probably go into the billion dollar range). If cameras stop a kidnapper from taking a child from a school, they'll kidnap them when they're walking home. And, if you're bold/psycho enough to come into a school to take a kid, you're not going to care about cameras, that will just give you a bigger "high" in a way. I also suspect it's only called Kyron's Law because of how high profile is (therefore, more attention) because I don't see how having cameras at Skyline would mean that Kyron would be home and safe right now.

If people really want to save children's lives, pass a law making it illegal to transport a child in a private vehicle for any non-essential purpose.

Far more children are killed in private vehicles in 10 YEARS than are abducted from schools. The vast majority of those accidents take place within 25 miles of home.

Clearly a rational assessment of potential risk is not the basis for the child safety laws we have now or no one would be allowed to transport a child in their own vehicle.

My vote is to start making laws based on rational risk assessment, which can best be done in the community. Let each community decide, based on their own local conditions, what they believe is a rational trade off between security, affordability and human rights.

I don't know if cameras inside the school would do much other than maybe keep kids from acting up in the halls, or something like that. But if you are going to put cameras in, do it at the entrance of the school drive, one that when a car or truck comes in, the tag is captured. This way at least you have a record of vehicles coming in and going out. I think this was an inside job with Kyron, the school wasn't secure that day and it was an easy day to take him or have him set up for someone to get him to leave. Someone knew that.

Hoping Kyron comes home soon.

That would probably work for many suburban schools, but it wouldn't be practical for urban schools, which are often on city streets (not to mention the massive invasion of privacy for everybody who is just driving by and maybe doesn't even know there's a school there).

Even in my small city, one school shares a driveway with a bunch of houses. At several other schools, the playing fields border a road. Very easy to grab somebody playing at recess -- very very difficult and expensive to get usable camera surveillance. Having adequate supervision and trained staff is the only way to handle that situation.

I think more kids are killed or injured in the hallways and classrooms, mostly by other students, than are ever kidnapped from schools.

It makes my blood boil when I think how many useless weapons and wars we as a society are willing to pay for, but we won't put money into teacher training, schools, and local LE. Arrrgghhhh.

I would rather have cameras in schools than the notorious "red light cameras" popping up at nearly every intersection. Many schools already have security cameras and things that have been recorded by them include: a female teacher being "inappropriate" with a male student; teachers manhandling and bullying students; and students bullying one another.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back