Kyron's parents' statements, interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transcript Of Interview With Kyron Horman Parents
POSTED: 6:48 am PDT June 25, 2010
UPDATED: 7:07 am PDT June 25, 2010

The following is a transcript of a June 25, 2010, interview with Kyron's biological father, Kaine Horman, and his biological mother, Desiree Young.

http://www.kptv.com/news/24037975/detail.html

Reporter: What do you both remember about the last time you saw Kyron or what you talked about?

snip

Kaine Horman: Vacation. We were actually supposed to be on vacation right now. We were really looking forward to going down and visiting some friends in California. We were going to be there for an extended period of time. A lot of the families down there have kids around his age that he knows so we were really excited about that.

I saw him the day of the science fair that morning and I was just really proud of him for all the work he put into his project. We gave each other a couple of big hugs and I just told him to have a great day at the fair and enjoy presenting the project.

I felt so sorry for the parents. I thought how they handled the questions that touched on the SM were really a variation on no comment, which is no doubt what LE wanted, and not a statement or showing of support or non-support. DY did at least confirm that Kyron did make it to the school that morning, but that everything beyond that is unknown. Adorable little Kyron looks so like them.

but wait, hold on

In one of the network videos/interviews this morning KH said he last saw Kyron outside that morning, feeding the cat and KH said he "was on his way to work" he said goodbye to Kyron - wished him well on his project - hugged and kissed him goodbye.

So, if he was working from home - why did he say he was leaving for work?

Dazed and confused - AGAIN!!!!

It's possible that he had to go to the office that morning and took off after lunch or sometime in the early afternoon. He could have had a doctor or dentist appointment or simply got off early on Fridays. Kyron's bus came at around 3:30 IIRC.

In the Foxnews video at the very beginning there seems to be a strange bit of body language and a bit of a verbal remark that I can't make out, did anyone else notice that? It is right when the interviewer is stating the names of Kyron's parents....any thoughts on what Kyrons mom was saying and doing right at that point?

I think the two of them coming out united says a lot. I don't believe the SM was involved. I did the first two days when it first came out but after that I think they were just using her as a scapegoat.

I don't believe they have a clue where that little boy is. ...and yes every parent in Oregon should be worried. What would that say if they didn't tell us not to?

Three weeks today. Every parent - everywhere should be concerned and worried because it could happen again at any moment. At this time, it looks like someone has gotten away with the perfect crime and leaves it wide open to strike again. It's pretty blatant to take a child from inside a school and if that person has gotten away undetected so far who is to say it isn't going to happen again some place else? Movie theater, mall, etc.

KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED...

Westley Allan Dodd would of fit right in that school looking like a parent.

21 days this little boy has been missing. Protect every child you know. Teach them as much as you are capable about safety. Don't let this situation get repeated. :twocents:

I forgot to write that finding out about DY & TH's friendship before the Horman's married made me understand TH body language in that first interview, she was trying to comfort her friend. I love my husband to death (married 21 years) but my some of my girlfriends have been around lots longer than that. I felt she was trying to comfort her friend... Maybe even trying to be comforted back as she must have so much guilt from not being able to be there to protect Kyron.
Nellie, I might be pulling this thread OT and my words against LE coming up may be harsh but at the very least, I want to assure you that I have had this exact conversation with my 7 year old son based on this case.

He and I have now role played what to do if someone approaches him in school and asks him to go help them "find an animal", "carry a box" or something else. He knows that he is supposed to yell "No!" loudly and then run to find his teacher or a teacher. We talked about what to do if this happens on the playground. I've told him that if he enters a bathroom at school and there is an adult in there, he is to turn around and walk out and tell someone. I never thought I would have to teach him to do that in his school, but we have done it again, and again, and again. I play "the bad guy" and I come up with him telling him I have money, candy, a hamster, a Star Wars video game, that I'm a friend of his mom's, his dad's, I'm a new teacher, a new janitor, I found a jacket and want to know who it belongs to...basically, it's this drill that we now have and we have practiced over and over.

And I hate it. :(

I understand that child abductions happen everyday, and that most children who go missing are not because of stranger abductions and that your child, statistically, has a better chance of getting killed in a car accident (yadda yadda yadda) but the thing with this case, the thing with Kyron, is that he wasn't just a little kid walking unaccompanied along a street, or playing in a park by himself (and I am in no way blaming or saying that a child that is deserves to be abducted), he was a little boy IN A SCHOOL. A school with lots of adults and other kids and people and here it is 3 weeks later, and frankly, we seem to know nothing more than we did on Friday, June 4.

If I were in that community, I'd be wanting some answers. The LE said they wouldn't let this become a cold case, which, frankly, I thought was an absurd thing to say at all, because what police department and investigative unit sets out to have a cold case??? but it's been 3 weeks. I'm seriously surprised that there hasn't been more of an outcry from the parents of the kids at that school. If I were a parent there, I would be calling for the immediate resignation of the school superintendent, the principal of the school and the teacher. I would be holding press conferences outside the school myself saying that all the community knows right now is that a child went missing on these people's watch, and they need to be held accountable and lose their taxpayer paid for jobs.

And then I would be calling the DA's office and saying that I would be actively campaigning against him the next time he was up for re-election if this case wasn't solved. And that he would have to start looking for another career because I would keep on him so that he would never get another DA job in his life. And I would be calling the sheriff's office and telling him the same.

Sure, none of this would bring Kyron home but it might mean another child wouldn't go missing too. 3 weeks is long enough, too long and I would, if I were in that community, start applying some pressure. If it's not the SM, and I were in that community then they better start providing some clues or ideas otherwise, I would presume there is a child abductor waiting to strike again.

Seriously, I'm shocked (and getting appalled) at the complete silence from that community. Perhaps I'm the weirdo and in the minority, but after 3 weeks, I would definitely be out there speaking and asking questions of my elected officials who get their paychecks from my tax dollars.

I agree tlcox. If TH had been there, it would have taken focus off the purpose of the interview which was to get Kyron's pics and case out there in the public eye.

Also, it was intended for the interview to be with Kyron's birth parents! Nothing against step parents, I am one myself and we had a blended family. But if something had happened to my dear step daughter while under my watch, I would never disrepect her birth mom by granting my own interviews. And like you asked, What could she say?

wm

More from KPTV interview transcript linked above about house searches:

Reporter: Detectives have told us many times that in this case they're leaving no stone unturned. Have they searched your homes, your cars and your property?

Desiree Young: They haven't needed to search our house as of yet. But they're welcome to. Anything that they need to do, we're definitely letting them do.

Reporter: Kaine, can you talk about your property?

Kaine Horman: Yeah, they've been down to search many times and they're welcome to search many more times. Whatever it takes to find him.

Reporter: Actually in the house, as well?

Kaine Horman: Yes.

More from KPTV interview transcript linked about Kaine's reaction to Terri's pic being in the questionnaire:

Reporter: Also, in an unusual move, they put out this flier to anyone associated with Kyron's school. They put Terri's pictures and pictures of the white truck on it. What was your reaction when that happened? What was Terri's reaction?

Kaine Horman: I can't speak to Terri's reaction, but my reaction to it -- photos of the things that were last seen associated with him that day. Through the process we've gone through, we've been asked the same question dozens of times. In a lot of cases, when you change the frame of reference, you think of new things and new angles that you haven't thought of before. From my perspective, issuing that questionnaire is just another way to get another angle or perspective from people who were at the school that day -- and hopefully, more data points and leads that perhaps they didn't think of the first time through when they were interviewed by the detectives and investigators at the school. I actually view it as a very positive step.

Reporter: Police have said they don't have any suspects yet or persons of interest. Did you feel like that flier being out with your wife's pictures on it painted her as a suspect at all?

Kaine Horman: No. She was one of the last people who saw him that day. It just helped associate things that were seen along with him on that particular day, so no.

More from KPTV interview transcript linked above about house searches:

Reporter: Detectives have told us many times that in this case they're leaving no stone unturned. Have they searched your homes, your cars and your property?

Desiree Young: They haven't needed to search our house as of yet. But they're welcome to. Anything that they need to do, we're definitely letting them do.

Reporter: Kaine, can you talk about your property?

Kaine Horman: Yeah, they've been down to search many times and they're welcome to search many more times. Whatever it takes to find him.

Reporter: Actually in the house, as well?

Kaine Horman: Yes.

So they searched the house? Or are they willing to let them search the house? Kind of confusing to me. I'm sure they would have already searched inside the house, yes?

I cried watching that interview. One thing at the end after the online interview they were asked..is there anything that Kyron is afraid of, the answer? Not having his glasses on. There is a key to the glasses. IMO
Maybe they've found his glasses, maybe on the island. But why keep it secret?

Nellie, I might be pulling this thread OT and my words against LE coming up may be harsh but at the very least, I want to assure you that I have had this exact conversation with my 7 year old son based on this case.

He and I have now role played what to do if someone approaches him in school and asks him to go help them "find an animal", "carry a box" or something else. He knows that he is supposed to yell "No!" loudly and then run to find his teacher or a teacher. We talked about what to do if this happens on the playground. I've told him that if he enters a bathroom at school and there is an adult in there, he is to turn around and walk out and tell someone. I never thought I would have to teach him to do that in his school, but we have done it again, and again, and again. I play "the bad guy" and I come up with him telling him I have money, candy, a hamster, a Star Wars video game, that I'm a friend of his mom's, his dad's, I'm a new teacher, a new janitor, I found a jacket and want to know who it belongs to...basically, it's this drill that we now have and we have practiced over and over.

And I hate it. :(

I understand that child abductions happen everyday, and that most children who go missing are not because of stranger abductions and that your child, statistically, has a better chance of getting killed in a car accident (yadda yadda yadda) but the thing with this case, the thing with Kyron, is that he wasn't just a little kid walking unaccompanied along a street, or playing in a park by himself (and I am in no way blaming or saying that a child that is deserves to be abducted), he was a little boy IN A SCHOOL. A school with lots of adults and other kids and people and here it is 3 weeks later, and frankly, we seem to know nothing more than we did on Friday, June 4.

If I were in that community, I'd be wanting some answers. The LE said they wouldn't let this become a cold case, which, frankly, I thought was an absurd thing to say at all, because what police department and investigative unit sets out to have a cold case??? but it's been 3 weeks. I'm seriously surprised that there hasn't been more of an outcry from the parents of the kids at that school. If I were a parent there, I would be calling for the immediate resignation of the school superintendent, the principal of the school and the teacher. I would be holding press conferences outside the school myself saying that all the community knows right now is that a child went missing on these people's watch, and they need to be held accountable and lose their taxpayer paid for jobs.

And then I would be calling the DA's office and saying that I would be actively campaigning against him the next time he was up for re-election if this case wasn't solved. And that he would have to start looking for another career because I would keep on him so that he would never get another DA job in his life. And I would be calling the sheriff's office and telling him the same.

Sure, none of this would bring Kyron home but it might mean another child wouldn't go missing too. 3 weeks is long enough, too long and I would, if I were in that community, start applying some pressure. If it's not the SM, and I were in that community then they better start providing some clues or ideas otherwise, I would presume there is a child abductor waiting to strike again.

Seriously, I'm shocked (and getting appalled) at the complete silence from that community. Perhaps I'm the weirdo and in the minority, but after 3 weeks, I would definitely be out there speaking and asking questions of my elected officials who get their paychecks from my tax dollars.
So as not to take this thread OT, I'm going to start my own thread on this. :)

BeanE, Thanks for posting the transcripts of these interviews. I had not seen them and some questions I had are now answered.

OT Am loggin off for awhile. See you all later.

wm

So they searched the house? Or are they willing to let them search the house? Kind of confusing to me. I'm sure they would have already searched inside the house, yes?

Biomom's house has NOT been searched, but biodad and SM's property and house HAVE been searched. It was confusing to me too at first. I had to read it a few times.

but wait, hold on...In one of the network videos/interviews this morning KH said he last saw Kyron outside that morning, feeding the cat and KH said he "was on his way to work" he said goodbye to Kyron - wished him well on his project - hugged and kissed him goodbye. So, if he was working from home - why did he say he was leaving for work?

Dazed and confused - AGAIN!!!!

I heard that, too! My hinky meter shot waaayyy up!

I've now had a chance to watch four interviews and noticed some similarities:

*Desiree is clearing in anguish about Kyron's disappearance; Kaine, not so much, but he could just be stoic and doesn't easily express feelings outwardly.

*Both parents seemed to bristle whenever the subject of TH's involvement was mentioned. Desiree closes her eyes, while Kaine sidesteps the issue with explanations of "everyone cooperating" in the investigation. I didn't get the impression that everyone really is cooperating, but that's just my take on it.

*I'm a little puzzled about the comment that "(they)" didn't think he would be gone this long." I'm not sure that anything can be read into this at this juncture, but maybe others will offer their take on it.

jmo

Maybe they've found his glasses, maybe on the island. But why keep it secret?

My guess is that the evidence leads them to believe that he is still alive. I believe his glasses have been found and the parents' statements about them are telling the perp that he needs his glasses. I've seen that a lot with other things, i.e. "He needs his medications."

Kaine is an engineer, a technical guy. This is how they are wired. I know because I am married to a guy like this. I could see my husband actingly similarly.

My husband is an engineer too. He would be crying like a baby. I don't think we should generalize.

On another note...I am now absolutely convinced LE has no idea what happened to Kyron. When DY quoted her sister as saying that it's like a portal opened up at the school and swallowed Kyron she looked like she was being 100% honest. It sounds like they are completed clueless. So sad that a child could just disappear like that.

I think the "they didn't think he would be gone this long" thing could be something as simple as maybe they hoped in their hearts that he had just wandered off and would have been found safe and sound after looking for him for a bit. Some of their first reactions could have been that there was a reasonable explanation for why no one could find him....he was asleep on the bus, went home with a friend and was going to call his parents when he got there, etc.

I just think it was a simple statement reflecting the idea that no parent wants to imagine their child going missing and certainly not for any extended period of time.

I am not going to be hateful, mean-spirited or speculate as to who or what is behind Kyron's disappearance. I have staunchly defended the family since this tragedy began. That said, I find it really concerning that LE, after 3 weeks, has been unable or unwilling to clear TH or feel satisfied with her activities that day.

I still don't feel that TH has done anything to harm him, but wonder why it seems so dificult for LE to ascertain the timeline of her day and either name her suspect or rule her out. Something is going on here. I can't understand why we can't just clear her and move on. LE knows much more than they are letting on and something is preventing them from moving beyond TH. I just wish I knew what it all meant for Kyron.

Praying for the family, but most especially praying for Kyron. Where did you go baby?

Why all the focus on TH not being ruled out when NO ONE has been ruled out?

I just want to note again for those just joining the thread, that there is more than one interview with the bioparents. Read back through this thread and the Today's News thread to grab the links to the videos and articles, and there's also a transcript for one of them.

You can also quickly get to all the articles and videos from this morning here:

http://interceder.net/i/kyron-horman

We've got new information! Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics