LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mickey's sister would probably know if she carried protection, other than her mace. I will be interested to see if the "expert" who said she was known to carry a box cutter replies as to his source...I have a feeling he picked it up via SM or the rumor mill. JMO

I think it just "grew legs" once it was known that he had some injuries...and people truly want to believe that she had a chance to fight back and especially that she hurt him, IMO.

Mickey may have had to defend herself to her family regarding riding her bike alone at night, so it seems she would have told them if she had some sort of weapon, other than her mace, IMO.

Sure without that poster being verified, you don't have to accept it as fact but I don't think there is any need for snark ("expert"). I will back them up on what they heard. While the box cutter wasn't on the "official list" of her belongings, I do recall it being mentioned very early on--I'm not talking about here on WS, I'm talking about in real life, at BW's house (first headquarters). IIRC, it's something that was said (but can't remember exactly who said it, and don't want to name names incorrectly) she could possibly have had on her, but not known for certain she had that particular night. BW named several things he *thought* she might have had on her (like tampons) but those were also not on the "official" list b/c it wasn't 100% certain that they were in her backpack that particular night.

eta: It's unlikely we will find out the entire contents of her backpack if it's found. IF she did have a box cutter and used it on BSL, it may never be found, he might have done a better job getting rid of it than he did the bike.

I have seen people carry a box cutter or something like it for horse-related stuff, but I cannot imagine that leaving the barn for any reason. I wonder if we will ever get the full story of what happened. The wounds he suffered don't really sound like typical defense wounds, but the robber story is so lame I am almost embarrassed for him.

I have seen people carry a box cutter or something like it for horse-related stuff, but I cannot imagine that leaving the barn for any reason. I wonder if we will ever get the full story of what happened. The wounds he suffered don't really sound like typical defense wounds, but the robber story is so lame I am almost embarrassed for him.

You are right, we probably won't know, because it is unlikely, IMO that BL will confess and even if he does reach some sort of a deal, he will probably not tell the truth about what really happened. Only he knows.

We have a very diverse group of posters on this thread with various expertise, life experience, and some that have closely followed many high profile cases for years and even decades..

Can anyone remember a Change of Venue being granted in any of the cases since the DC Sniper case, other than the Casey Anthony trial?
In her case the jurors were brought in from another FL County, yet the trial location was held in the County where the crime took place.

Imo, the Change of Venue arguement is baseless, and an impotent attempt to silence the public via the media..

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_of_venue"]Change of venue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Change of venue

In the 20th century, controversial venue changes included the 1992 trial of the four Los Angeles police officers (LAPD) in the Rodney King incident; this trial was moved outside Los Angeles County to Simi Valley in neighboring Ventura County. In the trial of Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh, the court granted a change of venue, and ordered the case transferred from Oklahoma to the U.S. District Court in Denver, Colorado presided over by U.S. District Judge Richard Matsch. In December, 1999, similar venue changes occurred in the Amadou Diallo murder case in which the NYPD defendants' trial was moved to Albany.

Wilbert Rideau served 44 years in the Louisiana prison system
He was granted three new trials by federal courts. His first murder conviction and death sentence were reversed by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1963. The high court said Rideau’s filmed confession to law enforcement by a Lake Charles television station, which was aired repeatedly on the evening news, deprived him of his right to a fair and impartial trial.

A change of venue was ordered by the Louisiana Supreme Court in Rideau’s case.

http://www.wilbertrideau-realstory.c...te-in-america/

More recent examples in the 21st century of controversial venue changes were 2002's publicized cases of Beltway snipers Lee Boyd Malvo and John Allen Muhammad, whose publicized crimes in northern Virginia caused their trials to be moved over 100 miles away to the southeastern Virginia cities of Chesapeake and Virginia Beach.

Sure without that poster being verified, you don't have to accept it as fact but I don't think there is any need for snark ("expert"). I will back them up on what they heard. While the box cutter wasn't on the "official list" of her belongings, I do recall it being mentioned very early on--I'm not talking about here on WS, I'm talking about in real life, at BW's house (first headquarters). IIRC, it's something that was said (but can't remember exactly who said it, and don't want to name names incorrectly) she could possibly have had on her, but not known for certain she had that particular night. BW named several things he *thought* she might have had on her (like tampons) but those were also not on the "official" list b/c it wasn't 100% certain that they were in her backpack that particular night.

I was referring to the expert quoted in a news article; he is an expert, in his field, but I don't think he is working on this case or in LE's confidence, which is why I used the quotations. And it is my belief that he said the thing about Mickey having a box cutter based on rumors that had more or less established it as fact.

For Websleuths' purposes, I thought the most interesting takeaway from the police report is that Lavergne appears to have entered Ochsner around 3:30PM (as per the end time/location of the "crime").

That leaves a 13.5 hour window for Lavergne to have moved from where Shunick was last seen to Jefferson, LA. Minus about 2.5 hours for the drive, that leaves about 11 hours unaccounted for.

Yes, it sure does. At any point in this time a struggle could have happened during which he became injured. I find it hard to believe he drove two hours to seek medical care. That's just odd. Why not stop in BR? I think he took Mickey to a secret location in New Orleans. Perhaps it was a friend's home. The bike was most likely dropped off along the way.

Here's where this theory gets wonky. If he dropped of bike at around 3 am at WB, and drove an alive MS to NOLA, hurts her at an undisclosed location, how could he dump her in broad daylight? He showed up at the emergency room around six or so in the evening. It's light outside. Where and when does he dump her? Does he just leave her there and circle back that night after his ER visit? If so, that leaves him with many places to leave her.

I think he either left an alive MS somewhere while he got medical treatment to throw cops off of his trail, or killed her instantly and hid her in his home or under his home.-- I tend to go more with under. This scenario would have him dumping bike with her tied up in truck, going home with her, where at some point he was injured and would have been killed during this time, and left while he gets treatment.

Another thing that puzzles me is this..

it's nearly 19 days before he makes another move ( burning/ reporting truck stolen in another state)

we know he was off of work b/c he was supposed to pick up his dad. Do we know that he was off that entire time? ~~ and if so do we believe it is possible that she was alive the entire time? We know LE suspects she died that night, but what if?

Just been thinking, jmo while trying desperately to get caught up. If only we could just handle this with Cajun justice... It would be worth the trip.. LOL.

Change of venue was granted in the case of Zahra Baker.
If you google "change of venue granted in murder cases", there really are not that many. Cirumstances have to be exceptional.

O/T but local news:

Word has just come into our newsroom that all volunteer searches for 18-year old Dylon Boudreaux have been suspended at this time. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the case, search leaders have asked that you please contact the St. Martinville City Police Department.

https://www.facebook.com/katctv3

Lavergne suspect already in death of a young woman

CHURCH POINT – Brandon Scott Lavergne’s police files are a contradiction; on the one hand, portraying a violence-prone miscreant and on the other a model rehabilitating inmate.
Lafayette police believe Lavergne is more Edward Hyde than Henry Jekyll, charging him with the kidnapping and murder of Mickey Shunick, who disappeared on her bicycle on May 19.

http://www.kaplantoday.com/view/full...home_news_lead

'RE: Lafayette police believe Lavergne is more Edward Hyde than Henry Jekyll'..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strang...nd_Mr_Hyde#Dr_Henry_Jekyll_.2F_Mr_Edward_Hyde

Dr Henry Jekyll / Mr Edward Hyde

Dr Jekyll, a "large, well-made, smooth-faced man of fifty", occasionally feels he is battling between the good and evil within himself, thus leading to the struggle between his dual personalities of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. He has spent a great part of his life trying to repress evil urges that were not fitting for a man of his stature. He creates a potion in an attempt to mask this hidden evil within his personality. However in doing so Jekyll is transformed into the smaller, younger, cruel, remorseless, evil Edward Hyde. Dr Jekyll has many friends and has a friendly personality, but as Mr Hyde, he becomes mysterious and violent. As time goes by, Mr Hyde grows in power. After taking the potion repetitively, he no longer relies upon it to unleash his inner demon i.e., his alter ego. Eventually, Mr Hyde grows so strong that Dr Jekyll becomes reliant on the potion to remain himself.

Stevenson never says exactly what Hyde takes pleasure in on his nightly forays, generally saying that it is something of an evil and lustful nature; thus it is in the context of the times, abhorrent to Victorian religious morality. Hyde may have been reveling in activities that were not appropriate to a man of Jekyll's stature, such as engaging with prostitutes or burglary. However, it is Hyde's violent activities that seem to give him the most thrill, driving him to attack and murder Sir Danvers Carew without apparent reason, making him a hunted outlaw throughout England.

Realizing he will soon be Hyde forever, Jekyll leaves behind a testament; pointing out that while Jekyll often felt like a charlatan, Hyde felt like a "genuine man" years younger and far more energetic than his more "sociable" self. He also states in his final confession that although Hyde knew people recoiled from him, he did not.

O/T but local news:

Word has just come into our newsroom that all volunteer searches for 18-year old Dylon Boudreaux have been suspended at this time. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the case, search leaders have asked that you please contact the St. Martinville City Police Department.

https://www.facebook.com/katctv3

Cajun Net is all over that I see

Yes, it sure does. At any point in this time a struggle could have happened during which he became injured. I find it hard to believe he drove two hours to seek medical care. That's just odd. Why not stop in BR? I think he took Mickey to a secret location in New Orleans. Perhaps it was a friend's home. The bike was most likely dropped off along the way.

Here's where this theory gets wonky. If he dropped of bike at around 3 am at WB, and drove an alive MS to NOLA, hurts her at an undisclosed location, how could he dump her in broad daylight? He showed up at the emergency room around six or so in the evening. It's light outside. Where and when does he dump her? Does he just leave her there and circle back that night after his ER visit? If so, that leaves him with many places to leave her.

I think he either left an alive MS somewhere while he got medical treatment to throw cops off of his trail, or killed her instantly and hid her in his home or under his home.-- I tend to go more with under. This scenario would have him dumping bike with her tied up in truck, going home with her, where at some point he was injured and would have been killed during this time, and left while he gets treatment.

Another thing that puzzles me is this..

it's nearly 19 days before he makes another move ( burning/ reporting truck stolen in another state)

we know he was off of work b/c he was supposed to pick up his dad. Do we know that he was off that entire time? ~~ and if so do we believe it is possible that she was alive the entire time? We know LE suspects she died that night, but what if?

Just been thinking, jmo while trying desperately to get caught up. If only we could just handle this with Cajun justice... It would be worth the trip.. LOL.

According to the JPSO report, Lavergne arrived at Oschner Medical Center at 3:30PM, not 6PM.

I'm curious as to why you think Lavergne brought Shunick to New Orleans, though. Other than Lavergne's claim he was attacked at a gas station, there's nothing to indicate that he ever arrived in the city. He can be placed between Lafayette, LA and Jefferson, LA on May 19th, but not New Orleans.

Please excuse another O/T post here, but this short news article caught my eye and sickened me. Thank God this guy has been arrested - yet another sick pervert off the street!!! It makes my blood boil to think of the harm these creeps do to young children and women. The victim was under 13 !!!

http://www.katc.com/news/lafayette-man-arrested-for-oral-sexual-battery/

That guy was arrested back in Dec 2010 for violating protective orders. Meaning, someone already had a protective order (similar to a restraining order) against him and he violated the terms. Sounds like this guy is definitely bad news!
http://www.katc.com/news/lafayette-parish-daily-arrest-december-22-2010/

eta: And he is yet another sex offender who is on Facebook.

According to the JPSO report, Lavergne arrived at Oschner Medical Center at 3:30PM, not 6PM.

I'm curious as to why you think Lavergne brought Shunick to New Orleans, though. Other than Lavergne's claim he was attacked at a gas station, there's nothing to indicate that he ever arrived in the city. He can be placed between Lafayette, LA and Jefferson, LA on May 19th, but not New Orleans.

I agree, he had more than enough time to dispose of the bike and of Mickey. Why the time change would make it any more likely that he brought her to New Orleans escapes me. I think he left Mickey far behind within 1-2 hours of abducting her, personally. JMO

We have a very diverse group of posters on this thread with various expertise, life experience, and some that have closely followed many high profile cases for years and even decades..

Can anyone remember a Change of Venue being granted in any of the cases since the DC Sniper case, other than the Casey Anthony trial?
<snipped by jbean for emphasis>.

Our old friend Scott Peterson got a change of venue.

To clear up the confusion on BSL's dads, adoptive dad was ill and his last name is Lavergne. BSL's stepdad died and his last name was Lavergne too.

Are the step dad and adoptive dad related? Or do they just happen to have the same last name?

To clear up the confusion on BSL's dads, adoptive dad was ill and his last name is Lavergne. BSL's stepdad died and his last name was Lavergne too.

yes this is correct, Brandon's adoptive father was in the hospital and is alive and doing okay health wise. Brandon's parents did divorce and his mother pretty much distanced herself from our side of the family so I don't know too much about what she did after that but she did start seeing someone else, I'm not sure if they got married because why would her name still be Lavergne unless his name was Lavergne as well or she kept her name which both i guess are possible. He did pass away however about a year ago.

Hard to keep up with these threads, in the time it takes me to write something there are already 15 new pages of posts.

<modsnip>
I'm willing to answer basic questions

In her case the jurors were brought in from another FL County, yet the trial location was held in the County where the crime took place.

Imo, the Change of Venue arguement is baseless, and an impotent attempt to silence the public via the media..

Change of venue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Change of venue

In the 20th century, controversial venue changes included the 1992 trial of the four Los Angeles police officers (LAPD) in the Rodney King incident; this trial was moved outside Los Angeles County to Simi Valley in neighboring Ventura County. In the trial of Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh, the court granted a change of venue, and ordered the case transferred from Oklahoma to the U.S. District Court in Denver, Colorado presided over by U.S. District Judge Richard Matsch. In December, 1999, similar venue changes occurred in the Amadou Diallo murder case in which the NYPD defendants' trial was moved to Albany.

Wilbert Rideau served 44 years in the Louisiana prison system
He was granted three new trials by federal courts. His first murder conviction and death sentence were reversed by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1963. The high court said Rideau&#8217;s filmed confession to law enforcement by a Lake Charles television station, which was aired repeatedly on the evening news, deprived him of his right to a fair and impartial trial.

A change of venue was ordered by the Louisiana Supreme Court in Rideau&#8217;s case.

http://www.wilbertrideau-realstory.c...te-in-america/

More recent examples in the 21st century of controversial venue changes were 2002's publicized cases of Beltway snipers Lee Boyd Malvo and John Allen Muhammad, whose publicized crimes in northern Virginia caused their trials to be moved over 100 miles away to the southeastern Virginia cities of Chesapeake and Virginia Beach.
We had a terrible Rapist/ Serial killer here in Ohio, living with eleven or twelve dead womens' bodies in his home and on his property. The media was rampant about it and yet his trial was still held in Cleveland where it took place. He is currently on death row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member