Found Deceased LA - Becky Hostetler-Hendrix, 43, New Orleans, 6 Jan 2022

Understood. Fingers crossed hoping @karenlpn2000 and family get some answers soon.
Agreed, hoping Becky's family will soon know what happened.

The last MSM report I can find is from April, when her vehicle was discovered. Since then NOPD hasn't released any information AFAIK. Hopefully NOPD will provide additional information once the autopsy and toxicology reports are available.

Evidently there will never be answers unless some of the cowards come forward. They are calling it an overdose. She would never have done this without telling her children good bye in some way. I know in my heart that things just don’t add up just like i knew that something was wrong when she went missing. Things just don’t add up . I was told her car was never processed except for fingerprinting of the steering wheel and no fingerprints were found not even Beckys. the police never found her keys as the car was not processed. The keys were later found BY her son.. I tried to discuss my concerns with higher ups but was told they go for easier to solve cases. I feel they dont have evidence since her car was never processed. This is what i was told by police: an employee of some capicity at University Hospital took a picture of the side of her car and when asked by NOPD , she told them it was because of her car always getting dinged and she wanted a picture of the car that did it.This was conveniently taken on the 11th. Per NOPD , they say they believe that her car was there for 4 FREAKING months. NOPD said they did not check the hospital parking lot because the hospital has their own security and has the signs stating this and has their own towing company. I spoke with a security guard at the desk on side of the oncology dept where Beckys car was found. He said the parking areas were checked daily. I then asked him how her car sat there for almost 4 months without being seen and was told by this security guard that i needed to speak with administration. I had recorded this conversation but he took my phone and deleted the recording. Becky’s phone went dead/turned off on Jan 6. There were banking transactions on the 9 th and 10 th. But there was no phone activity from her phone since the 6 th. One was for google gaming and the other was for “been verified”. University is less a half mile from the apartment, shorter as the crow flies. Her car seat appeared to me to be pushed all the way back. The coroner’s office has not returned my calls to help me understand the autopsy results. I feel as if Becky’s case is being written off as unimportant and my concerns are unimportant. In my opinion , from my conversation with higher ups and from what i was told by them, I feel The city had been turned into a septic tank. Per a newspaper article some police officers are under federal investigation. This is from an article on NOLA.com. The article says 11 officers fell under investigation. I FEEL like if NOPD had a better job i would have gotten more answers. If any of the people that had seen Becky within the last 24-48 hours prior to going missing would speak up perhaps i would have more answers to questions that could help the family understand what actually happened and if Hospital security had done what their sign states ( oncology parking only. This parking is monitored 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Vehicles will be towed at owners expense), Becky would have been found sooner and her children may have been able to say goodbye. However it took a flat tire and 4 months later for one security guard to do his job for her to be found and i still find it hard that no one smelled anything and did not report it to the hospital. Im hurt , angry and disgusted by the entire situation, by everything and everyone, except for those that have tirelessly supported us like members of Websleuths, Mercy search and rescue, Southeast La Underwater Search and Recovery And all of those that cared and shared prayers , fliers and have helped me along the way even in small ways, total strangers have helped and I will be forever grateful to everyone And it is those people that give me hope for humanity. And if i forgot someone please forgive me. God will take care of the others.

Karen:

There's a lot of information here to process and I'm not sure I caught everything during my first reading. There are many aspects of this case that don't seem to make sense IMO. I'm sure all of us following Becky's case have many unanswered questions about the circumstances here.

So NOPD is officially classifying Becky's cause of death as a drug overdose of some kind? Is that the conclusion from the coroner and the toxicology report? From what I read in your post above, you believe that type of situation (self-administered drug overdose) would be entirely out of character for her. Any signs of a struggle, like cuts, abrasions, bruises, etc?

Speaking for myself, I want to know how and why Becky's vehicle supposedly sat parked in the oncology parking lot for several months before hospital security took action to investigate. IMO that is very difficult to understand. How could her Highlander be parked near the building for that long, and the security staff didn't report it or investigate? It makes no logical sense.

This parking is monitored 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Vehicles will be towed at owners expense
This clearly is not accurate since it's being claimed her vehicle was parked there for a very long time. Hospital management may need to explain how their security staff allowed Becky's Highlander to be parked there that long, regardless of how it got there.

Also, you said:
I was told her car was never processed except for fingerprinting of the steering wheel and no fingerprints were found not even Beckys. the police never found her keys as the car was not processed. The keys were later found BY her son..
I find it difficult to understand why NOPD didn't process her vehicle, especially with Becky inside. Did anyone give you an explanation why her vehicle wasn't processed for potential evidence? If Becky supposedly drove herself to that parking lot then logically her fingerprints would be on the steering wheel. If no prints of any kind were found on the steering wheel, that raises a number of questions in my mind, as does the seat being moved fully back.

There were banking transactions on the 9 th and 10 th. But there was no phone activity from her phone since the 6 th.
In my mind this is interesting. So bank transactions of some kind took place on Becky's account(s) three or four days AFTER she was last seen or heard from? Again, I find this very suspicious. Do you know if Becky's accounts were emptied of funds or were these small transactions?

Also, what is the status of Hearty and Defelice? Did NOPD ever find and interview them? In my mind this is important, since it was reported by case insiders as well as MSM that Hearty was friends with Benjamin Beale, who was originally arrested on drug-related charges per MSM, and NOPD claims Becky died from a drug overdose.

I hope I have this information correct.

NOTE: All of the above statements are MOO.

Karen:

There's a lot of information here to process and I'm not sure I caught everything during my first reading. There are many aspects of this case that don't seem to make sense IMO. I'm sure all of us following Becky's case have many unanswered questions about the circumstances here.

So NOPD is officially classifying Becky's cause of death as a drug overdose of some kind? Is that the conclusion from the coroner and the toxicology report? From what I read in your post above, you believe that type of situation (self-administered drug overdose) would be entirely out of character for her. Any signs of a struggle, like cuts, abrasions, bruises, etc?

Speaking for myself, I want to know how and why Becky's vehicle supposedly sat parked in the oncology parking lot for several months before hospital security took action to investigate. IMO that is very difficult to understand. How could her Highlander be parked near the building for that long, and the security staff didn't report it or investigate? It makes no logical sense.

This clearly is not accurate since it's being claimed her vehicle was parked there for a very long time. Hospital management may need to explain how their security staff allowed Becky's Highlander to be parked there that long, regardless of how it got there.

Also, you said:

I find it difficult to understand why NOPD didn't process her vehicle, especially with Becky inside. Did anyone give you an explanation why her vehicle wasn't processed for potential evidence? If Becky supposedly drove herself to that parking lot then logically her fingerprints would be on the steering wheel. If no prints of any kind were found on the steering wheel, that raises a number of questions in my mind, as does the seat being moved fully back.

In my mind this is interesting. So bank transactions of some kind took place on Becky's account(s) three or four days AFTER she was last seen or heard from? Again, I find this very suspicious. Do you know if Becky's accounts were emptied of funds or were these small transactions?

Also, what is the status of Hearty and Defelice? Did NOPD ever find and interview them? In my mind this is important, since it was reported by case insiders as well as MSM that Hearty was friends with Benjamin Beale, who was originally arrested on drug-related charges per MSM, and NOPD claims Becky died from a drug overdose.

Hopefully, Karen is resting at the moment. I am sure she will respond when she can. To the best of my knowledge and from what Karen has told me. It seems as though they found her and then stopped investigating. I don't think Defelice or Hearty came in for questioning. Becky and her car were about a 6 min walk from where her and Hearty had been living. I googled University hospital and the address of the building and it shows to be a half mile to the main entrance. However, Becky's car was located at the oncology parking on Galvez making it much closer to the apt building (less that 500 yards it appears). Yes, the family is seeing transactions on the 10 and 11, her account was depleted but, not at zero. I don't know if NOPD found that. They according to Karen said they would wait on processing the car fully until the coroner reports came in and if a homicide was ruled they would hand over to that department. The contents of her purse were scattered. Her body was decomposed limiting the autopsy results. From what I understand there is nothing that proves Becky parked her car there and Nothing that proves she didn't and the same for what was found in her toxicology reports. Allegedly, Hearty was in the room when Brennan was murdered Victim identified in fatal Marais Street stabbing; suspect arrested, Julia (Murdered Beale arrested) Allegedly, Hearty knew her and she is in one of his band videos on You-Tube Becky (ruled an OD) Was living with Heaty when she went missing, Danielle (ruled OD) Don't know if Hearty knew her. Her name is on a FB post that has Defelice tagged don't know if he knew her, but seems like it. (We had never heard of Defelice until the flyer was put out). https://obits.nola.com/us/obituaries/nola/name/danielle-crowder-obituary?id=340580 there may be others I have not been unable to connect or determine cause of death. Just seems like a lot of death in those circles. 2 murders and 2 OD's.
Sorry, for the long post. It's just so much to process. Becky deserved so much better and so does her family.

Karen:

Also, you said:

It was classified as an overdose due to toxicology results. But she thought the world of her children and she would not willingly leave them without some sort of goodbye. I agree with you about her car being there that long. It makes no sense and i dont believe that. I was never given a reason why they did not process her car. Not once. There was 9 weeks from when she was found until the tox report came back so i feel it should have been processed and during that time, her case was still unclassified , BUT IT WAS NOT! Esp since they did not find any fingerprints. Becky’s account had $1.46 in it after those 2 transactions. NOPD never talked with the 2 persons of interest. And stopped the tv reports when Becky was found. Totally stopped ! I can’t understand any of this. What i gathered with NOPD when i talked to them on Monday, since she had contact with drug users they would not be investigating further. So druggies win again. I feel they must be friends with NOPD since they won’t go after them.

@karenlpn2000 this is infuriating. The level of corruption and general incompetence in Nola apparently has no limits. I can only imagine how you must feel right now after waiting patiently all this time for answers. I will respond more fully with my thoughts and ideas after I've had some time to think this over but as of right now, I would suggest looking into investigative reporters, podcasters, documentary film makers, etc. to keep this story in the media instead of settling for NOPD's "investigation" results. I would also suggest contacting a private investigator as soon as possible. Again, I am very sorry you are now left with more questions than answers. I am beyond disgusted with New Orleans right now.

Karen:

Also, you said:

My thoughts so far:

1. What substance was determined to be the cause of the overdose?
2. If it was an accidental overdose, she would not have had the chance or the reason to say goodbye to her kids. Same if someone else caused her death.
3. An employee of University Hospital took a photo of Becky's car on the 11th. I'm assuming this was Jan. 11th? Can you elaborate on this?
4. No fingerprints on the steering wheel. I don't know why that didn't automatically raise red flags with NOPD.
5. Bank transactions...any way to find out where those transactions took place? If it was at ATM's or a bank or even a store, there may be security camera footage that shows if it was Becky or someone else making those transactions.

That's all I have for now.

Oh, Karen. I am so sorry. This is so so so much for you to deal with.

Everyone else said lots of what I also think, but wanted to add a couple of things.

NOPD is in a real bad way. I can say that I personally knew 3 nopd very well. They were all very high up. 2 have left in the past year. We will say it is due to "low moral". I can say they are not being investigated and haven't done anything wrong. They were just basically mistreated after MANY years of service. So, the lack of investigation could have to do with lack of experienced employees rather than cover up. Trust me, I never count out cover up around here!!!! But just knowing first hand what has been happening makes me very sad for both our officers and those they served.

One other thought that wasn't mentioned- I know once when my car was broken into, they tried to take prints, but it was hot and he said they were "melting". Keep in mind, this was not in nola and it was in college which was long ago. But I wonder if heat would effect the prints. Yes, it as February, but nola is hot all the time. Winter means very little around here.

I also think the seat could be back for sleep reasons. I mentioned before that I saw her posting about basically be homeless soon. I think the hospital would be familiar and feel "safe" for her to sleep in.

I think you can feel confident that she would never leave without telling her kids or you goodbye. But IF (not saying she did, but rather if she did) have a substance abuse issue, it would be an unintended overdose. Addiction is stronger than almost anything. But, her love would still be strong. I know she is so proud of how hard you have been fighting and hugging you all every night, as you finally rest your head. We are here with you today and always. You come here any and every time you need to talk, need some people to bounce ideas off of or want an opinion on what you should do. We might not have all the answers, but we have pure intentions only to help you and her. Thank you so much for coming to update. I m going to read what you wrote couple more times and let it marinate for some additional ideas.

I'm so sorry to hear you're no further forward with answers.
Agreed, Karen and Becky's entire family deserve answers to what happened. After reading Karen's post and the responses I plan to re-read the entire thread.

Thanks to ScorpioRose for providing additional information. Both mpnola and Valkyrie.504 also brought up some very good points to consider.

One thing that keeps coming to my mind is the fact that when Becky's vehicle was last seen on 6 January, Karen said traffic cam photos showed two unidentified people inside. We do not know who was actually in the vehicle at that time, but we do know for certain this sighting was several days before Benjamin Beale was arrested. Other than Beale's known association/friendship with Hearty, there's no direct evidence indicating Beale may have been involved in Becky's disappearance, but it is something to keep in mind, especially since Beale was originally arrested on drug charges and NOPD indicated Becky's death was a drug overdose of some kind.

I do not recall any references earlier in these discussions regarding Becky's possible drug use or substance abuse issues.

Another thing I find curious is that earlier in the thread it was mentioned that Becky had a scheduled job interview a day or so after she was last heard from. To me it doesn't seem likely that someone would be using large amounts of drugs the day before a scheduled interview.

I have to go back and read the thread for the first time to understand the entire case but I wanted to ask, did Becky have any drug issues? Sometimes people can be very good at keeping addictions hidden from loved ones (personal experience here). I know Karen (and my sympathies, I am sorry for your loss and frustration the police department is causing) said that Becky would never overdose and leave without saying goodbye to her children, but is it possible that she had no intention of leaving which is why she didn't say goodbye? There's a large problem with fentanyl being used in place of drugs/to cut drugs with. People are even using pill presses to make pills out of fentanyl that at first sight appear to look the same as the real pill. She may have had no clue what or how much was in there. If one of the names you mentioned was responsible for supplying the drugs to her, they should be held accountable.

I just want to say that I am not victim blaming or shaming whatsoever. Just trying to get a better understanding of how things unfolded here.

I’ve read everyone’s responses and there are some good points. Now there’s a few things that havent been mentioned before about Becky. She was bipolar and never received the medical attention when she was married as she had no medical insurance. When she had marriage issues she did attenpt suicide but she had her phone nearby and got frightened and called her husband and he called emergency services and was put in a psych hospital for care. But when she was released she had meds but no insurance continued treatment wasn’t possible. Not going into the divorce but when her daughter was taken from her it killed her and I believe she lost her “ rock” her leash to keep on going. A man in slidell, la was the next one to break her reason to keep going. She has loved him since before her marrige to her husband. When she wouldn’t do what he wanted , he kicked her out. This must be when she hooked up with hearty. She probably believed the words he told her. She just wanted someone to love just her , Becky really wanted to do things on her own but getting a job was hard, esp without an address. So for a lot of homeless dont think bad about then for not working, sometimes they cant get a job because of this.
Now I do agree it’s possible she may have accidentally overdosed, anything’s possible, I accept that. Lets start from when she first went missing. I respect Sargent Hilliard, he worked hard to find her and believed with all my heart that he tried. But here are my concerns about the investigation: 1) i believe it was feb that i figured out a way to get into her phone info. I got another phone, got a new sims card with her number. With this Sargent Hilliard was able to get into her FB acct and i believe her email and said he did not see anything helpful ( or words to that effect). So when he was finished with that, i went into her FB and found many interesting things : a) messages to 3 different people that she wad telling people that she feared for her life, these people were not associated with each other b) she had sent pictures of bruises to another person that it was put on by the person she was staying with. C) she also told this same person that she may be pregnant. He told her to make him pay for the child if she was. She told him that if she was she would have to sneak away because he did not want children and was afraid to tell him. D) we know that he had to have seen these messages because he sent this message to him some time after Dec 21 st :
She is Collared and owned
now, it's none of your business
where and how have her just
know she belongs to me now
If you have any questions
please call me, her Master @.
2) Now from Jan to April 28 th she was considered missing so I feel this should have been investigated. He did talk to Hearty and another man that i think was Defelice ( not positive) on Jan 23rd the day i followed up on the initial report that her best friend reported her missing. This was the day that the investigation actually got started because Sargent Hilliard took the initiative to do so.
3) In march i spoke with hearty on messenger, he called me a grieving mother, We didnt even know she was deceased at this time so why would i be grieving? He did email Sargent Hilliard about meeting with him several times but never went but he went on FB telling everyone that he did so and that was a lie.
All of this should have been investigated but was not. I accept that she could have overdosed on her own. My son and i were told that if she had any drugs not prescribed to her then her case would be investigated as a homicide. She did have some of her prescribed medications in her system. She did have major problems sleeping and it’s possible she took too many or forgot how much she had taken. She had meth in her system. These people she was around are know to possibly use/sell meth. That was a charge against Beale and he was not in jail at the time of her going missing. They did not question him.
Now lets go to when she was found. I dont know how much time had passed from when she was found to when they notified me but i believe it was that night as Sargent Hilliard called me around 10 or 11 pm on april 28th. So from April 28 to july 10 th her case was still unclassified but they never processed her car for any evidence other than fingerprints. No one from FB was never questioned. When her autopsy and toxicology results were back Sargent Hilliard told me her case was closed and he could only do what he was allowed to do. Now i had a meeting with Sargent Hilliard and his supervisor a Lieutenant ( not sure if i can mention his name). To me he acted like a “ cocky, fat assed white man with a superior attitude “. He would not give me access to the files but told me something and insinuated something, which i feel he should not have done esp to a mother. I know what I’m fixing to say is heresay as i did not record the meeting but he said that he knows there are dirty cops on the force; they mainly go for easier to solve cases ; the mayor makes the policy and procedures; I never got an explanation as to why her car was not processed; i was given her personal belongings ( the phone i provided to be able to access her info). Was told i could go get her car. When i went through her car, i did not find her keys. Sargent Hilliard had told me if i did not find them to let him know so i did and was told he was not allowed to go further. The next day her son and his dad went to get the car. He had to remove the mattress out of the car as i was unable to pull it out as is was stuck to the seat. When it was out he found the keys as they were stuck to the cushion she was lying on and the mattress had sunk into between the seat. I sent a message to have Sargent Hilliard to call me so i could tell him they were found , he has never returned my call.
So yes, i am very upset, disappointed on how her case was not investigated properly. Accidentally overdose ? Possibly. Homicide? Possibly. But since nothing was investigated we will never know. As far as the coroner’s office, I’m still waiting on that call which I probably will never get. University Hospital- hopefully people won’t depend on them for safety because security is not there. I would love to know who the security guard that found Becky’s car as i would love to thank him for doing his job. I would also like to know the person who took the picture of the side of her car so i can find out if she would associated with any of this known group. This just seems suspicious.
Sorry for the long response. I just kept going. If anyone has any questions please do so.
I’m not insinuating anyone in particular did anything but i believe they may have had some information that would have been helpful. Again i want to thank everyone for your support and suggestions. Websleuths has a great member group. Thank you !
I just feel it should her case should have been investigated better.

I think you are very justifiably mad, confused and feeling let down by more not being done. I am with you that it seems that it should have been investigated more. I still have huge questions about why they wanted to question defelice.....

Evidently there will never be answers unless some of the cowards come forward. They are calling it an overdose. She would never have done this without telling her children good bye in some way. I know in my heart that things just don’t add up just like i knew that something was wrong when she went missing. Things just don’t add up . I was told her car was never processed except for fingerprinting of the steering wheel and no fingerprints were found not even Beckys. the police never found her keys as the car was not processed. The keys were later found BY her son.. I tried to discuss my concerns with higher ups but was told they go for easier to solve cases. I feel they dont have evidence since her car was never processed. This is what i was told by police: an employee of some capicity at University Hospital took a picture of the side of her car and when asked by NOPD , she told them it was because of her car always getting dinged and she wanted a picture of the car that did it.This was conveniently taken on the 11th. Per NOPD , they say they believe that her car was there for 4 FREAKING months. NOPD said they did not check the hospital parking lot because the hospital has their own security and has the signs stating this and has their own towing company. I spoke with a security guard at the desk on side of the oncology dept where Beckys car was found. He said the parking areas were checked daily. I then asked him how her car sat there for almost 4 months without being seen and was told by this security guard that i needed to speak with administration. I had recorded this conversation but he took my phone and deleted the recording. Becky’s phone went dead/turned off on Jan 6. There were banking transactions on the 9 th and 10 th. But there was no phone activity from her phone since the 6 th. One was for google gaming and the other was for “been verified”. University is less a half mile from the apartment, shorter as the crow flies. Her car seat appeared to me to be pushed all the way back. The coroner’s office has not returned my calls to help me understand the autopsy results. I feel as if Becky’s case is being written off as unimportant and my concerns are unimportant. In my opinion , from my conversation with higher ups and from what i was told by them, I feel The city had been turned into a septic tank. Per a newspaper article some police officers are under federal investigation. This is from an article on NOLA.com. The article says 11 officers fell under investigation. I FEEL like if NOPD had a better job i would have gotten more answers. If any of the people that had seen Becky within the last 24-48 hours prior to going missing would speak up perhaps i would have more answers to questions that could help the family understand what actually happened and if Hospital security had done what their sign states ( oncology parking only. This parking is monitored 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Vehicles will be towed at owners expense), Becky would have been found sooner and her children may have been able to say goodbye. However it took a flat tire and 4 months later for one security guard to do his job for her to be found and i still find it hard that no one smelled anything and did not report it to the hospital. Im hurt , angry and disgusted by the entire situation, by everything and everyone, except for those that have tirelessly supported us like members of Websleuths, Mercy search and rescue, Southeast La Underwater Search and Recovery And all of those that cared and shared prayers , fliers and have helped me along the way even in small ways, total strangers have helped and I will be forever grateful to everyone And it is those people that give me hope for humanity. And if i forgot someone please forgive me. God will take care of the others.
I am sorry to hear all this, and as a Canadian past longtime community reporter, I would highly suggest taking this case to all of the local and countrywide media who will possibly do an article or tv report on this case. If it goes to the media, perhaps there will be further action. Also, I don't know of any other organizations or investigative places that could take a further look at this, but others might.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back