LA LA - Ellis Baudean, 4, in water near Twin Canals Trail, Jean Laffite Nat Hist Park, 15 Jul 2021

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by YaYa_521, Jul 17, 2021.

1. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

This video shows snippets of the construction process of the temporary dam that was built in order to drain the canal.

Marg from Oz, NoSI, CalmSeas and 2 others like this.

2. Gigi3

Gigi3 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the updates!

3. kgreg2529

kgreg2529 Well-Known Member

I know many folks who work for SCSO who were there working with JPSO and they said there are many, many different stories. At first they weren’t even sure where he went in.

Marg from Oz, NoSI, YaYa_521 and 5 others like this.
  4. CalmSeas

CalmSeas Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. These recovery methods are so interesting!

Graphic nature facts warning:

I lived near alligators and have seen them lunge high out of the water to grab birds and other prey. They are absolutely fascinating creatures, just dinosaurs really. They usually keep their prey underwater for a day or more before consuming.

During Spring mating season there are many stories of aggressive and adventurous alligators..walking through neighborhoods, climbing fences, swimming in our pools, grabbing dogs off leashes. They will do almost anything to find a mate.

Alligators are typically more docile during other seasons unless people & dogs frequently splash their shores..that will bring them in and they will watch and wait patiently for weeks for the next opportunity to grab their next meal,

With all that being said, I am not convinced this was an alligator attack.

5. Allynator

Allynator Well-Known Member

I wish I did not look this up on SM.

6. moonriverfarm

moonriverfarm Well-Known Member

What other adult besides mom can verify the child was there at this park that day?

7. YaYa_521

Well, mom should know exactly where they were when he fell, was pulled in by a gator or was bumped/pushed into the water. I say pushed or bumped b/c there was a 3YO there and chit happens, ya know. It may have happened when mom was flying or fixing the kite or while she was walking towards the car. Who knows... :)

Marg from Oz, nao, CalmSeas and 2 others like this.
  8. YaYa_521

Yeah, that's probably not the greatest idea, for now. :rolleyes:

9. YaYa_521

I wondered that, too. While looking through the photos and vids posted on Google Maps I noticed some surveillance cams at the Visitors Center. Hopefully those are working properly. Still, Mom, Ellis, and the 3YO may not have been captured by the cameras depending on where in the park they were flying their kite. I don't remember if I saw any cameras in the parking lot. Off to look for that now.

10. CHEL

CHEL Well-Known Member

carbuff, Marg from Oz, nao and 8 others like this.
  11. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Two questions:
    Was he really there with Mom and the other child?
    If he did go into the water, did an alligator get him?
    ---
    If his body is still in the water, let's hope it surfaces soon -- I don't trust those amazing and hungry gators and their natural habits.

Many thanks to the people who dammed/drained the water area. Seems that they have done more than the ordinary for this little boy and for those who truly love him.
    My heart aches.

12. moonriverfarm

moonriverfarm Well-Known Member

I am not sure he was ever at this park.

Jlocke, fraudqueen, ttcRider and 12 others like this.
  13. swanniee11

swanniee11 Well-Known Member

So what do I go and do? UGH!

14. YaYa_521

15. swanniee11

swanniee11 Well-Known Member

Facebook
    Unfortunately, our efforts to pump out the area of interest in the canal were not completely successful. We lost the clay dam earlier tonight, and the original water levels returned quickly. Our recovery efforts will now resume their passive status for the next few days.
    MORE AT LINK PLUS COMMENTS

Barlow, Marg from Oz, borndem and 2 others like this.
  16. Allynator

Allynator Well-Known Member

I hope recovery efforts are including LOTS of interviews and investigating.

17. Yokota-Red

Yokota-Red Active Member

This is so sad, he has such a beautiful smile what a shame this happened! Gators are incredibly fast, if it was in the water submerged except for its eyes and the child was standing near the edge it would have only taken a second or two to grab the boy and back into the water. The gator may have swum to a different location after that taking the boy with it, or if he fell in a gator resting underwater would have heard the splash and grabbed the boy before he could even surface. I feel so bad for the mother and family, I personally would never take my children on a trail knowing gators can be almost anywhere and fly a kite!!! First of all kite flying involves everyone looking up, a gator could walk right up and grab any three of them before they could get away. It is my opinion that it was a spur-of-the-moment idea and poor decision making, which this poor mother will forever regret, but all of us at one time or another have made a spur-of-the-moment decision that we may live to regret!!! I believe it is an accident by a mother who loved her children and was just looking to give them a fun time outdoors in the fresh air. My prayers go out to the family, I can't even imagine what they are going through!!! They are in my thoughts and prayers. <3

Marg from Oz, CurlyQ and borndem like this.
  18. alexwood

alexwood Well-Known Member

19. kgreg2529

kgreg2529 Well-Known Member

You’re not the only one unfortunately. Including some people who were there helping. Hope we are wrong but like my husband told me (he’s LEO and some of his coworkers were there), WE won’t know that and what they’re doing to look into it. Poor baby. He’s just precious. I hate it for him either way.

Rellabella, abr, Turkeytrot and 4 others like this.
  20. YaYa_521

I can't believe there haven't been any updates on little man's case. I would think the family and LE would be publicly pleading with folks to keep an eye out for any signs of Ellis when they're visiting JLNHP. I mean, it's tourist season down there. Does anyone know if there are any MP signs about Ellis' mishap posted at the park? Hopefully they'll get answers soon.