GUILTY LA - Jackson Attuso, 8, stabbed to death, West Feliciana Parish, 10 June 2010

Thanks for all the updates today. I had a crazy day today and have not had hardly any time to check in.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/police/96198569.html

Boy Struggles to Fight Off His Assailant

Snipped:

ST. FRANCISVILLE — A Clinton boy killed while riding his bicycle on a trail in The Bluffs on Thompson Creek apparently struggled to defend himself, a prosecutor said Friday.

Twentieth Judicial District Attorney Sam D’Aquilla said Jackson “Jack” Attuso, 8, had cuts on his arm that appeared to be wounds suffered when he fought back against his attacker.

The victim was stabbed repeatedly in the back and front of his body and had his throat cut, West Feliciana Parish Sheriff J. Austin Daniel said Thursday.

Also Snipped:

East Feliciana Parish Clerk of Court David Dart, a friend of the Attuso family, said the boy’s parents, twin brother and elder brother are “devastated” by the youngster’s death and the seemingly random act of violence.

Daniel said Friday that investigators still don’t know what triggered the attack, which occurred as the victim rode his bike between two groups of people, including his mother, on the trail.

I missed this because I haven't heard much "local" news for the past few days.

This is horrible. The young victim has a twin brother. Can you imagine his loss? That poor family.

I do hope the teenager is tried as an adult. He'll be 17 in July so he's old enough to understand what death and murder are. He's too young for the death penalty, so I hope he has a lifetime behind bars ahead of him. There are no words for someone like him.

I thought the only thing people in St. Francisville had to worry about was the eerie happenings at The Myrtles (strange place!).

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Don't you just love defense attorneys and how they spin?

Reese’s defense attorney said Reese is not a criminal but a troubled teen.

A judge ordered Reese out of a juvenile facility and into Sheriff’s custody after this morning’s hearing. He will stay there at least until his bond hearing next Wednesday.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/child-psychologist-weighs-in-on-west-feliciana-murder/

Not a criminal???? He's troubled???? :eek:

Good for the judge. Let's hope there's No Bond for this guy. Could you imagine letting him loose again?

I missed this because I haven't heard much "local" news for the past few days.

This is horrible. The young victim has a twin brother. Can you imagine his loss? That poor family.

I do hope the teenager is tried as an adult. He'll be 17 in July so he's old enough to understand what death and murder are. He's too young for the death penalty, so I hope he has a lifetime behind bars ahead of him. There are no words for someone like him.

I thought the only thing people in St. Francisville had to worry about was the eerie happenings at The Myrtles (strange place!).

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Don't you just love defense attorneys and how they spin?

A judge ordered Reese out of a juvenile facility and into Sheriff’s custody after this morning’s hearing. He will stay there at least until his bond hearing next Wednesday.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/child-psychologist-weighs-in-on-west-feliciana-murder/

Not a criminal???? He's troubled???? :eek:

Good for the judge. Let's hope there's No Bond for this guy. Could you imagine letting him loose again?

If you scroll down to the comments, there is one from a team mate & classmate that seems to know the family well. Usually when something like this happens, it turns out there are signs. Doesn't seem to be the case here. Very very odd...

He may not have a criminal history but he committed a heartless and cruel criminal act. I am sure his family is suffering and is in shock, but the victim here is an innocent eight year old boy. No matter Reese's background, his criminal act is one that cannot be excused away with having a bad day. I am sure before long we will hear how sorry he is and other lawyer talk. Such heartache for some many -- lives forever changed. I guess it matters why, but I doubt we have the ability to ever explain or truly understand.

Jmo, criminal & troubled teen are not mutually exclusive.

Doesn't schizophrenia present itself in mid to late teens? It's odd that everyone says he was honors, non violent etc, I'm just wondering if mental illness was an underlying cause.

Either way he needs to be taken off the streets for good. What he did was evil and horrific.

So very sad. My prayers to the that little boys family and twin brother.

“When people commit such crimes, there’s usually a lot of hostility and rage,” Dr. Bryan Gros said.

gee, ya think Doctor? :banghead:

I've been reading comments from people who say they know Trevor and I'm leaning toward this being a sudden-onset psychiatric illness. Well, maybe not so sudden but that he just kept it hidden really well.

I feel for both families.

RIP Jackson.

He was such a cutie patootie. )-;

Thank you for bringing this story to our attention, Kimberly, tragic as it is. Unprovoked murders like this one where the perpetrator acts on a sudden, violent impulse have become far too common. I'm very curious to know what caused this behavior in a seemingly healthy teen. I'll be watching the news sites for updates. If you learn any information as a local that you are comfortable sharing -- without violating TOS, of course -- I'll be all ears.

Prayers for little Jackson and his family...for both families.

It's possible what makes him look under the influence in that photo is actually mental illness.

My brother is mentally ill, and it came on at about this age, though not in a violent way, his way was to retreat and never come out, literally he has lived in his room for 30 years. No excusing anything, just that it is a fact that late teens is primetime for the onset of many mental illnesses. This case seems almost as though he was having visions or hearing voices telling him to do this. But I also know that we have seen cases with teen on child violence with no mental illness, just plain evil kids. Sadly, there are some out there, though society does not like to admit it, especially when they cannot explain what made them that way-when it could be they just are.

It's possible what makes him look under the influence in that photo is actually mental illness.

My brother is mentally ill, and it came on at about this age, though not in a violent way, his way was to retreat and never come out, literally he has lived in his room for 30 years. No excusing anything, just that it is a fact that late teens is primetime for the onset of many mental illnesses. This case seems almost as though he was having visions or hearing voices telling him to do this. But I also know that we have seen cases with teen on child violence with no mental illness, just plain evil kids. Sadly, there are some out there, though society does not like to admit it, especially when they cannot explain what made them that way-when it could be they just are.

A lot of the mentally ill are harmless, we tend to hear about the small percentage of cases of which extreme crimes were committed.

It sounds like possibly conduct disorder, what other reason would a teen have for a thrill kill of a child? It's ridiculous, horrible!
Granted the teen killer was on the honor roll, etc it's possible that today's sociopaths (sorry conduct disorder*) have taught themselves to "blend in" better amongst other children.
Also if the teen did turn himself in, it's a sign of knowing right from wrong, possibly remorse.
The kid projected his rage on an innocent child, which is odd as his victim was a child, and not someone his own age or older.
They need to look at the killer's home life very closely, they will maybe find answers there.

Thank you for bringing this story to our attention, Kimberly, tragic as it is. Unprovoked murders like this one where the perpetrator acts on a sudden, violent impulse have become far too common. I'm very curious to know what caused this behavior in a seemingly healthy teen. I'll be watching the news sites for updates. If you learn any information as a local that you are comfortable sharing -- without violating TOS, of course -- I'll be all ears.

Prayers for little Jackson and his family...for both families.

Bessie, I will be watching for any little bit of info I can find on this.

This hits so close to home for me and it has really shaken me up.

St. Francisville is such a wonderful place! I know crime happens everywhere, but a crime like this is hard to imagine happening anywhere, esp a place like St. Francisville.

This mother was doing a great thing with her child. It's great to see a family pack up bikes, head somewhere, and ride together. Those trails are beautiful and so peaceful. I know she has been through the what ifs. KWIM, like If we went the day before or the day after, or if we would have just went somewhere else, ... you know? Second guessing herself and the events. That is really breaking my heart.

I wish more families would do this type of thing with their kids.

Something so beautiful turned into the ugliest thing ever. Sad.

Anyway, I will be watching for any news on the Reese guy and I will be praying for both families. This is tragic.

Bessie, I will be watching for any little bit of info I can find on this.

This hits so close to home for me and it has really shaken me up.

St. Francisville is such a wonderful place! I know crime happens everywhere, but a crime like this is hard to imagine happening anywhere, esp a place like St. Francisville.

This mother was doing a great thing with her child. It's great to see a family pack up bikes, head somewhere, and ride together. Those trails are beautiful and so peaceful. I know she has been through the what ifs. KWIM, like If we went the day before or the day after, or if we would have just went somewhere else, ... you know? Second guessing herself and the events. That is really breaking my heart.

I wish more families would do this type of thing with their kids.

Something so beautiful turned into the ugliest thing ever. Sad.

Anyway, I will be watching for any news on the Reese guy and I will be praying for both families. This is tragic.
I have a special affinity for St. Francisville and the surrounding area, and I couldn't agree more, Kimberly. It's a wonderful town, not only historically but as a community. Idyllic describes it best, peaceful and simple in its beauty. I'm saddened to know that this tragedy has marred the beauty, and can imagine how unsettling it must be for you. Life will never be the same for the two families, but for you and others who live nearby, I pray it will soon become a faded memory.

I would really like to say that this surprises me - but unfortunately it doesn't.

Our children are beoming more and more desensitized and violent with no concern for consequences.

My belief is the lack of morals and values that are NOT being taught to this generation in any way, shape or form.

With all due respect, SWAG - in my very humble opinion, a child who kills to see what it feels like is WAY past "desensitized and violent with no concern for the consequences." He is, in all likelihood, mentally ill. His behavior is aberrant, which is why our mouths drop open when we read something like this...he is in no way representative of his entire generation.

Of course, I may just have a different perspective because I know that excellent morals and values are being handed off to the younger generation and they are taking the baton like champs!

Such a sad story - my prayers for the families and friends of these children.

If he was my offspring, they'd have to have me handcuffed if they had me in the same room with him, because I'd feel duty-bound to kill him with my bare hands.

Possibly not the best way to teach a child who had behaved brutally that brutality reaps terrible results, but I understand the impulse.

Of course, I may just have a different perspective because I know that excellent morals and values are being handed off to the younger generation and they are taking the baton like champs!
-----------------
I can understand if you are referring to your own family. But if you are making a statement about youth in American society, I have experienced and seen just the opposite in the majority; that is, where I live.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back