LA - Judge frees Angola 3 member Herman Wallace after 40+ years in solitary

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by wfgodot, Oct 1, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Terminally ill Angola 3 member granted immediate release; state to appeal ruling. (nola.com)
    much more at the link

2. Loading...

3. wishuwerehere

wishuwerehere New Member

http://www.pbs.org/pov/hermanshouse/film_description.php

More information here about Herman Wallace’s 42 years of solitary confinement as well as info about the documentary, “Herman’s House.”

4. seattlechiquita

seattlechiquita Active Member

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

6. seattlechiquita

seattlechiquita Active Member

7. SilkySifaka

SilkySifaka Active Member

It should be defined as cruel and unusual torture. The point of incarceration is the safety of society and yes punishment to but to drive someone out of their mind is simply wrong. Prisoners should be able to be see others and communicate, unless they are totally unmanageable or dangerous and no one is for 40 years at a time. Solitary should just be used to help someone calm down until they can be medicated or they are able to handle being around others.

8. 21merc7

21merc7 New Member

No way this man can still be sane.

I don't know what his crimes are, guessing they were really bad, but this IS cruel and unusual and should never happen in the U.S. regardless his crimes. 40 years. Who made that decision?!

9. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Original crime was armed robbery, which got him into Angola; then the Angola 3 were charged with a guard's death there, though some would say their crimes were attempting to organize fellow prisoners against the degrading conditions in that infamous prison. I think they were stitched up for the guard's murder (but I don't know). They've always maintained innocence. I don't automatically wheel into line with those who do - Mumia, for example, I think deeply guilty, and even Rubin Carter in New Jersey quite possibly (in spite of Dylan's great protest song 'Hurricane'). Here? Fear of the Black Panthers, I think, the charges manufactured from that. Even if they killed, 40+ years in solitary confinement is cruel and unusual punishment and the government is guilty of the torture of its people. (40+ years! All the years since I've graduated from high school.)

10. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

[video=youtube;85IvBPFdjjM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85IvBPFdjjM[/video]

11. burbqueen

burbqueen New Member

i dont know much about this case, but WTH!?!? serial killers dont even got 40 years in solitary.

12. FigTree

FigTree New Member

13. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Yep. I remember when that issue came in the mail. I looked at the article, thought - meh, I'm an only child, I really am sort of a hermit, too, these days - I could stand solitary.

Nope. Not a chance. It's a brilliant and eye-opening and scary read.

14. SilkySifaka

I think it comes down to the fact that we are not monsters and should not behave like monsters know matter what they have done. Casto is a good example over total outrage and public acknowledgement that confining someone to rooms is torture yet no one says anything about solitary confinement for years.

Here the man is being set free so what suddenly made him less dangerous? Sure cancer but thousands of men and women have cancer and die in prison hospital, so its obvious he wasn't a danger before if they are releasing him now. I honestly feel that murderer or not he deserves recompense from the govt for years of torture and so does anyone in solitary for months let alone years.

15. SilkySifaka

Another one of the Angola Three is still in and has been in solitary for decades as well.
    Look what they are doing to him when they know he can't get anything in or out. Daily Cavity searches.

16. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Gary Tyler - who spend years in solitary - is still in Angola. He's who the Scott Heron song above was written for.

Don't know the case well enough to judge on guilt but the evidence is quite possibly "not there."

17. SilkySifaka

And even if it was, he doesn't deserve years of solitary. That crosses the line.

18. wishuwerehere

wishuwerehere New Member

19. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Three days of freedom after forty-one years of solitary. Fight the power.

20. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Active Member

RIP Mr. Wallace :rose:

21. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Lay your burden down, Mr. Wallace, and rest in eternal peace.