GUILTY LA - Katie Wilkerson, 19, found slain in West Pearl River, 14 Nov 2005

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by 2sisters, Nov 15, 2005.

1. 2sisters

2sisters New Member

The body of a young woman who had been bound and gagged was found Monday morning in the Pearl River in St. Tammany Parish, near the Mississippi border, authorities said.
    A truck driver discovered the partially clothed body about 9 a.m. at a makeshift boat launch next to the Interstate 59 bridge about 12 miles north of Slidell, said investigators, who estimated the victim was 16 to 22 years old. She has not been identified.
    http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-4/113204017927870.xml

I found this to be a little disturbing, it reminded me of the sex driven serial killer type of crime.

2. Loading...

3. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

Scary.

Do we have threads for missing women in this area?

4. 2sisters

2sisters New Member

Body found in river still unidentified

Police seek help in homicide case
    Wednesday, November 16, 2005 By Paul Rioux
    St. Tammany bureau
    She had an obvious affection for butterflies, as revealed by the necklace, bracelet and earrings she wore featuring the colorfully winged insects.

She was in her late teens, with shoulder-length strawberry blonde hair and perfect teeth.

[​IMG][img]http://ads.nola.com/RealMedia/....nola.com/xml/story/N/NZNPMT/@StoryAd?x[/img]
    A couple of body piercings and a homemade tattoo on her leg suggest a rebellious side.

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1132124299309620.xml

5. Norma

Norma Pook

This is why they need a national registry for the missing!

6. misterallgood

misterallgood Former Member

I find it interesting that a young woman bound in duct tape, with a plastic bag on her head and a weight around her neck, with red hair, about 5'3" and 120-130 lbs and notably perfect teeth -- just like this young woman found in St. Tammany Parish, but in the Pearl River -- was pulled from Lake Ponchartrain in 1986.

It is a little weird that two women with such similar descriptions would end up dead in bodies of water in the same Parish in LA, even though the murders were nearly 20 years apart. The appearance -- nice teeth, the height and weight, red hair -- is so similar in verbal description that I couldn't help but make note of it.

Steve/Mr. A

7. concernedperson

concernedperson Former Member

I hope it isn't another serial killer! So many women have gone missing over the years in the area (south Louisiana). I believe they only caught the last two killers because of DNA and they were under extreme pressure to make an arrest.

8. audrey77

audrey77 CJ Analyst

Her family/friends probably haven't reported her missing yet...

9. 2sisters

2sisters New Member

10. audrey77

audrey77 CJ Analyst

http://www.picayuneitem.com/articles/2005/11/19/news/04suspect.txt

11. Bobbisangel

Bobbisangel New Member

He was supposed to be her friend! I wonder what happened...why? Glad that they got him right away.

That poor mom and dad. What a horrible way to find out about the death of their daughter. My heart goes out to the whole family.

12. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

Police seek help in homicide case
    Wednesday, November 16, 2005 By Paul Rioux
    St. Tammany bureau
    She had an obvious affection for butterflies, as revealed by the necklace, bracelet and earrings she wore featuring the colorfully winged insects.

She was in her late teens, with shoulder-length strawberry blonde hair and perfect teeth.

A couple of body piercings and a homemade tattoo on her leg suggest a rebellious side.

Still trying to identify the body of a young woman found bound and gagged Monday in the Pearl River in northeastern St. Tammany Parish, authorities released new details about her appearance Tuesday.

"A good percentage of our chance of solving this murder depends on identifying this young woman as soon as possible," Sheriff Jack Strain said Tuesday afternoon.

The body was found Monday morning in the river at a makeshift boat launch next to the Interstate 59 bridge near the Mississippi border.

Detectives entered the woman's description into national databases for missing persons but found no potential matches, Strain said. Her fingerprints also turned up no matches, suggesting that she did not have a criminal record, he said.

"We're checking with school systems throughout the region about missing students, but this is all probably going to hinge on a tip from the public," he said. <snip>

The body, with duct tape binding the wrists and covering the mouth, was in shallow water about six feet from the Louisiana bank.

The young woman was wearing panties and a white sweatshirt with the words "South Pole" on the front. The rest of her clothing was found nearby, authorities said.

"There is no preliminary evidence of sexual assault or rape, but additional tests are pending to determine if there was sexual contact," Strain said.

Strain declined to disclose how she died, saying he wanted to withhold some information that only the killer would know.

"I can tell you that she fought her attacker," he said. "It was a real brutal situation."

He said the woman was 16 to 19 years old, about 5 feet 3 inches tall and 130 pounds. She had piercings in her tongue and belly button and had a crude tattoo on her left calf with a flower and the name "Katie" written in script.
    more at the link http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1132124299309620.xml

13. Shadow205

Shadow205 New Member

Body found under overpass identified as Ala. woman, 19

By BOB ANDERSON
    banderson@theadvocate.com

Florida parishes bureau

COVINGTON -- The St. Tammany Parish Coroner's Office identified the body of a woman found bound and gagged under an overpass as that of a 19-year-old reported missing by her family, authorities said Wednesday.

Katie Wilkerson, 19, of Bayou LaBatre, Ala., died of "asphyxia due to strangulation and drowning," Dr. Peter Galvan, the parish coroner, reported Wednesday afternoon. He ruled the case a homicide.

The partially clad body of the woman was found floating at the edge of the Pearl River.

Investigators said they could find no identification in the vicinity of the body, discovered Monday. Based on a description sent to other states, the body was matched to that of a young woman reported missing in Alabama, said Mark Lombard, the chief forensic investigator with the coroner's office. http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/111705/sub_alawom001.shtml

14. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

So how did a girl from Ala. end up in La, in the river?

15. concernedperson

concernedperson Former Member

A truck driver doing a long haul.

16. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

You know I heard recently that a trucker doing long hauls has been suspected in the deaths of some the women found in the Cin. area. Supposedly it is suspected that their bodies were refrigerated after death. Something about the bodies shows evidence of that. This is rumor, and supposedly the LE community is keeping it quiet.

17. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

From September 2009:

http://blog.al.com/live/2009/09/irvington_killer_who_left_19-y.html

18. a.allison

a.allison Member

So this isn't the first time he's done this...wow! I guess I can't really say that with 100% certainty considering the first jury acquitted him. Katie was found barely 20 minutes from my house and I'm just now hearing about this. I grew up here too so it's not like I've recently moved here. This is crazy. Thanks for posting OkieGranny!