LA - Lacey Fletcher 36, GRAPHIC, disabled, found dead, on couch for years, Jan'22 *Parents arrested*

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a mother who has an autistic 25-year-old daughter, with mental health issues, who is doing it on her own, all I can say is, this is beyond comprehension. It is difficult, but you certainly do not leave your child sitting in one spot regardless of how difficult it becomes to them get them to engage. You are a parent, you find a way, or you get help. I know during the pandemic it was impossible to get any help, but you found new ways of dealing with situations. What these parents did is nothing more than abuse and neglect. Not to mention, they just carried on with their lives, as if everything was normal, how. I run a business, but when things got bad, I reduced my business, so I was available for my daughter. She was more important than money for extras. Luckily, my clients are great and work around any crisis that might crop up.
Sorry for the rant, this just upsets me deeply

I wonder if any attempts were made by the parents?

If Lacey didn’t see a doctor then she wasn’t on any medication to help with her anxiety or any other medical/physical/mental conditions.
I don’t understand why they didn’t seek help. Lacey was not of sound body or mind.

We did zoom calls with most doctors including therapists and the primary doctor wrote an order for home health/aide assistance once a week. It took several weeks to get started and then there were lapses when the agency had no one to send out but it was necessary to care for someone at home.

The smell had to permeate everything.
JMO

Last edited:
As a mother who has an autistic 25-year-old daughter, with mental health issues, who is doing it on her own, all I can say is, this is beyond comprehension. It is difficult, but you certainly do not leave your child sitting in one spot regardless of how difficult it becomes to them get them to engage. You are a parent, you find a way, or you get help. I know during the pandemic it was impossible to get any help, but you found new ways of dealing with situations. What these parents did is nothing more than abuse and neglect. Not to mention, they just carried on with their lives, as if everything was normal, how. I run a business, but when things got bad, I reduced my business, so I was available for my daughter. She was more important than money for extras. Luckily, my clients are great and work around any crisis that might crop up.
Sorry for the rant, this just upsets me deeply
I worked as a case a manager for Aging and Long Term care and I had to ask about pressure injuries at every call. If a client or caregiver mentioned it I had to put in a referral that day and a nurse was called out within 48 hours to complete a home visit. Pressure injuries are serious and knowing this young lady probably had them and died this way just makes me feel deeply saddened and angry. On another note I have worked with individuals who were really oblivious/in denial as to the severity of their situation- untreated tunneling pressure sores, sitting in diapers for days on end, animal feces all over their home, etc which is why home visits were crucial. I’m not saying that the parents aren’t at fault I just wonder if they were mentally cognizant of what was going on.

Can someone share the article behind the paywall, mentioning the parent's "heartache"?

Parents accused of daughter's 'horrific' at-home death speak out: 'A lot of heartache'

Parents facing possible murder charges after their daughter was found dead in their Slaughter home — her body covered in feces, maggots and
ulcers — said Wednesday that they suffered "heartache" of their own through the ordeal.

Sheila and Clay Fletcher released the statement through their lawyer, Steven Moore, a day after local media outlets reported on the death of their daughter, Lacey Ellen Fletcher. The 36-year-old shut-in was found dead on Jan. 3, sunken into a crater in the living-room couch where she'd anchored herself.

“They don’t want to relive the pain of losing a child through the media," Moore said. "They have been through a lot of heartache over the years. Anyone who had lost a child knows what it’s like."

When Fletcher last left the couch was uncertain, District Attorney Sam D'Aquilla said this week. It might have been years ago.

“The caretakers just let her sit on the couch. She just urinated and used the bathroom on the couch,” D’Aquilla told The Advocate | Times-Picayune. “It was so horrific.”

D'Aquilla said that he will ask a grand jury next week to bring second-degree murder charges against Fletcher's parents, the newspaper reported Tuesday. He said Fletcher suffered prolonged neglect, possibly for years, before her death in the house near Hog Bayou.

For adults, a second-degree murder charge in Louisiana carries a mandatory life prison sentence with no parole.

Following an autopsy, Dr. Ewell Bickham III, the parish coroner, ruled Fletcher’s death a homicide and pressed for an investigation, D'Aquilla said. Bickham earlier this week declined to provide any information on the death, citing an ongoing investigation, and he did not respond to a public records request for the coroner’s report.

Sheila Fletcher, 64, has worked as a police and court clerk in Baker and more recently as an assistant to the city prosecutor in Zachary, according to her LinkedIn page.

A Slaughter official said she resigned her post on the town’s Board of Aldermen on Jan. 24, three weeks after Lacey Fletcher’s death. She served for four years, most recently as mayor pro tem.

State business filings show Clay Fletcher is an officer of the nonprofit Baton Rouge Civil War Roundtable, which has a mission “to educate and foster an appreciation for the sacrifices made by all during the Civil War.”

D’Aquilla said earlier this week that he hopes the prosecution will serve as a warning.

“They lost a daughter. I have — not much — but I have a little compassion for them,” he said. “But I think we have to send a message. You need to take care of your people better than you do your animals."

Woman, 36, with locked-in syndrome was found dead FUSED to a living room couch | Daily Mail Online

A church-going Louisiana couple who were seemingly a beacon in their community are facing second-degree murder charges after their adult daughter, who suffered from locked-in syndrome, was found dead in unconscionable conditions.

Shelia, 64, and Clay Fletcher, 65, will face a grand jury Monday after their 36-year-old daughter Lacey Ellen was found partially naked, sitting upright and submerged in a hole in a couch covered from head to toe in urine, liquid feces and insect bites, with live bugs and rodent excrement nearby at their otherwise tidy home in Slaughter, East Feliciana Parish Coroner Dr. Ewell Dewitt Bickham III told the DailyMail.com on Thursday.

Parents accused of daughter's 'horrific' at-home death speak out: 'A lot of heartache'

Parents facing possible murder charges after their daughter was found dead in their Slaughter home — her body covered in feces, maggots and
ulcers — said Wednesday that they suffered "heartache" of their own through the ordeal.

Sheila and Clay Fletcher released the statement through their lawyer, Steven Moore, a day after local media outlets reported on the death of their daughter, Lacey Ellen Fletcher. The 36-year-old shut-in was found dead on Jan. 3, sunken into a crater in the living-room couch where she'd anchored herself.

“They don’t want to relive the pain of losing a child through the media," Moore said. "They have been through a lot of heartache over the years. Anyone who had lost a child knows what it’s like."

When Fletcher last left the couch was uncertain, District Attorney Sam D'Aquilla said this week. It might have been years ago.

“The caretakers just let her sit on the couch. She just urinated and used the bathroom on the couch,” D’Aquilla told The Advocate | Times-Picayune. “It was so horrific.”

D'Aquilla said that he will ask a grand jury next week to bring second-degree murder charges against Fletcher's parents, the newspaper reported Tuesday. He said Fletcher suffered prolonged neglect, possibly for years, before her death in the house near Hog Bayou.

For adults, a second-degree murder charge in Louisiana carries a mandatory life prison sentence with no parole.

Following an autopsy, Dr. Ewell Bickham III, the parish coroner, ruled Fletcher’s death a homicide and pressed for an investigation, D'Aquilla said. Bickham earlier this week declined to provide any information on the death, citing an ongoing investigation, and he did not respond to a public records request for the coroner’s report.

Sheila Fletcher, 64, has worked as a police and court clerk in Baker and more recently as an assistant to the city prosecutor in Zachary, according to her LinkedIn page.

A Slaughter official said she resigned her post on the town’s Board of Aldermen on Jan. 24, three weeks after Lacey Fletcher’s death. She served for four years, most recently as mayor pro tem.

State business filings show Clay Fletcher is an officer of the nonprofit Baton Rouge Civil War Roundtable, which has a mission “to educate and foster an appreciation for the sacrifices made by all during the Civil War.”

D’Aquilla said earlier this week that he hopes the prosecution will serve as a warning.

“They lost a daughter. I have — not much — but I have a little compassion for them,” he said. “But I think we have to send a message. You need to take care of your people better than you do your animals."

BBM. This woman was dead to them years ago. They didnt care if she lived or died.

This article is ridiculously framing the murderers as empathetic people. I hope they rot in jail like they made their handicapped daughter rot

I till cannot FATHOM how they lived in a house that had to smell like raw sewage and rot, allowing their child to waste away in her own filth BEFORE THEIR EYES. They are clearly mentally ill, which I am certain will be their defense.

BRPROUD | People who knew parents of woman found dead on couch left stunned

Her father, Clay Fletcher, resigned from his position as president of the Baton Rouge Civil War Roundtable Tuesday. The program director, John Potts, has known Clay for roughly six years and is stunned by the news.

“Shock… ’cause it doesn’t match with my experience of him. He’s completely different than what you would expect of someone like that to be,” Potts said.

“The details are horrific, there is no doubt about that and I can’t conceive of how something like that can even happen,” Potts said.

Neighbors and friends said they never knew the couple had a daughter.

“He mentioned that she passed in January, and that’s all I know of that,” said Potts.
So neighbors and friends NEVER KNEW the couple had a daughter! Are there any other children? Maybe they never wanted her, hid her for years til she died??? They lived in town for years???? If you neglect any living thing it should be jail for life! Especially your child!

I worked as a case a manager for Aging and Long Term care and I had to ask about pressure injuries at every call. If a client or caregiver mentioned it I had to put in a referral that day and a nurse was called out within 48 hours to complete a home visit. Pressure injuries are serious and knowing this young lady probably had them and died this way just makes me feel deeply saddened and angry. On another note I have worked with individuals who were really oblivious/in denial as to the severity of their situation- untreated tunneling pressure sores, sitting in diapers for days on end, animal feces all over their home, etc which is why home visits were crucial. I’m not saying that the parents aren’t at fault I just wonder if they were mentally cognizant of what was going on.
The parents worked in the public offices. They were oils know how to get help etc. did they never have people in the house? Holidays? Double lives? Who watched her when she was young and parents worked??? Grandparents? Aunts and uncles? Hidden since birth?

I can't wrap my head around some city names in the USA.

"Slaughter" was an 80s hair band. It was also the surname of one of the band members.

I've heard of elderly people dying this way, or at least coming to the attention of authorities while still alive, but never someone this young! There has to be a lot more to this story.

Did the parents have any other children, or does anyone know?

Woman, 36, with Locked-in Syndrome was found dead FUSED to a living room couch | Daily Mail Online

Locked-in Syndrome (LiS): What It Is, Causes & Symptoms

What are the types of locked-in syndrome?
Locked-in syndrome (LiS) has three main types, or forms, including:

If they were able to feed her, did she have the incomplete form?
  • The classical form: In this type of LiS, you have total immobility (lack of voluntary movement) but can move your eyes vertically (up and down), blink and maintain your usual cognitive abilities. You can also hear.
  • The incomplete form: This type of LiS is just like the classical form except you can have some sensation and movement functions in certain areas of your body.
  • The total immobility form: In this type of LiS, you have complete body paralysis and loss of eye movement, but you have your normal cognitive abilities. Healthcare providers can tell a person with this form still has cognitive (thinking and reasoning) function by examining cortical function with an electroencephalogram (EEG), a test that measures brain waves
https://www.abc.net.au/radionationa...locked-in-syndrome-with-richard-marsh/5695088
Breaking out of locked-in syndrome with Richard Marsh

Woman, 36, with Locked-in Syndrome was found dead FUSED to a living room couch | Daily Mail Online

Locked-in Syndrome (LiS): What It Is, Causes & Symptoms

What are the types of locked-in syndrome?
Locked-in syndrome (LiS) has three main types, or forms, including:

If they were able to feed her, did she have the incomplete form?
  • The classical form: In this type of LiS, you have total immobility (lack of voluntary movement) but can move your eyes vertically (up and down), blink and maintain your usual cognitive abilities. You can also hear.
  • The incomplete form: This type of LiS is just like the classical form except you can have some sensation and movement functions in certain areas of your body.
  • The total immobility form: In this type of LiS, you have complete body paralysis and loss of eye movement, but you have your normal cognitive abilities. Healthcare providers can tell a person with this form still has cognitive (thinking and reasoning) function by examining cortical function with an electroencephalogram (EEG), a test that measures brain waves
Breaking out of locked-in syndrome with Richard Marsh
locked in syndrome due to what?? usually it's secondary to a TBI/stroke etc, it doesn't just manifest spontaneously.
By the way, if the LIS diagnosis is truthful, then this is severe medical neglect. Who cares if she was "of sound mind", she couldn't have gotten out of that situation even if she wanted to. She was entirely dependent on others. Hearing the parents talk about how hard this is on THEM makes me sick. If they were unable to care for her they should have gotten outside help (but tbh I don't buy that they were unable because they both seemed to be functional active members of society)

Also, the above article states the coroner believes she had been on the couch for 12 years, so since she was 24 years old :eek:
And no visits to the home for 12 years?? No family over? No doctors? Parents said she didn't need a doctor because "she was never ill"... who diagnosed her locked in syndrome? who dealt with the event that led to her LIS? was she diagnosed and then never ever followed up on again?

Last edited:
jesus h christ. i wouldnt ALLOW someone to use their sound mind to crap all over the couch and not bathe or move.

Allow?? It's not a case of allowing.
This poor lady had locked-in syndrome and couldn't move, talk, or do anything, let alone bathe. She was, basically, a vegetable. She wasn't in a sound-mind. (Well, maybe she was, but with locked-in syndrome, you don't know.)

The parents should have sort medical care for her. That's what should have been allowed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288