LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it ever occur to anyone why it is so hard to get access to the pings of people's phones? or the location of where they are? Does it seem that this information would be very important? Do you think that the phone companies own this information? If they do not-- who would a likely entity be that would own this information? You will have to be very smart to realize who really does own this information....

If its a GM or Chevrolet, It would therefore be equipped with OnStar right?

I mentioned this earlier also. I think you still get free OnStar for awhile after buying a new vehicle. After that of course you have to pay for it. I don't know if your vehicle is tracked without paying for the service.

If they only record when tripped, then why do the video segments that you can review start seconds before you even commit the crime? Is the camera able to predict that you are going to commit a traffic violation? They may not record indefinitely, but at least intermittently.

And about the phones, I wasn't talking about only her phone. I was referring to tower dumps which can be obtained by LE and thus show any phones in the same area at the same time as hers. Just a matter of narrowing down who's who at that point (and seeing which one goes to Whiskey Bay). It's very expensive though and they don't like the general public knowing they can do that. Big civil rights issue. And LPD has enough on their plates right now without adding the issues that would come from them catching whoever did whatever they did to MS by use of cameras they claim don't record and accessing cell tower records they also don't want the public knowing they have access to.

The tower dumps would be good to use if you already knew the phone numbers you were looking for. As for sifting through hoping a phone is pinged, or whatever, good luck. So many people, ages 6-100 have cell phones now.

I'm not convinced either that the REDFLEX cameras aren't continuously recording. But those cameras are few and far between. They are different than the governmnet traffic cameras. There are also big signs as you approach those intersection letting you know that they are photo monitored. I think there is a sneaky loophole here, with REDFLEX being a private company, that voters for some ludicrous reason approved, towards privacy laws. The private company cameras are NOT the same as the gov/public cameras. I've never seen a sign pointing out those traffic camers. Its common knowledge, they're not recording, and if anyone wants to see the simply log on to LCG.gov. REDFLEX, however, is private. With the clarity of those cameras, I feel like they're a total invasion of privacy. They should have a warrant to look that closely inside my car, which I may be mistaken, but is considered to be an extension of my home!

So, let's just say REDFLEX is constantly recording and whomever has Mickey headed north on Univ. they'd have the truck at the intersection of Agnes/Simcoe and University AND getting on I-10, where they have sneakily (IMO) place a REDFLEX camera at the beginning of the acceleration lane that merges onto I-10!
- -don't speed up here at the acceleration lane... We have speeding cameras. We'd like you to get on I-10 at half the speed of the traveling vehicles--

I'm sorry. Those cameras burn me up. The benefits to them are just not reciprocal.

It is strange that it took so long to be released. I emailed the editor over at WRAL a news link to Mickey's case just in case the two cases are connected.

Thank you. Is that area a college hang out with bars? What time do bars close in Raleigh?

Let us know if you learn anything, especially why it took so long to release the story.

http://cr4.globalspec.com/PostImages/200611/yourfile_3574F0F3-C283-2A42-A4875839F757775E.jpg[/url]

LOL, I almost splattered iced tea all over my keyboard!

"Hobo With a Shotgun (on a Bicycle)”

I’ll call Rutger Hauer’s agent and see if he’s available to remake the movie.

I hope the pic of the perp in NC gets national coverage. If the guy is traveling he could be from La,NC, or anywhere. I wonder what age the girl in NC is and if she is small or blond.
Foxfire do you have any idea why they would wait 11 days to release the story and pics?

The girl in NC is 22. Looks like the bump and grab took place near NC State University.

No, but I will contact them & find out. Could be several reasons.

Going back a bit but was it ever determined what was whited out of that other pic of Mickey on the bike in front of that school (I think it was a school)? I think there was talk about a car parked across the street and another discussion about what people thought they saw in the blown up photo (including Bigfoot, Mike Tyson and one of the Wiggles)...

Thank you. Is that area a college hang out with bars? What time do bars close in Raleigh?

Let us know if you learn anything, especially why it took so long to release the story.

I think the SUV in the NC pic looks like a Ford. Maybe bigger than an Escape, like an Explorer.

Of course I know cars as well as I know guns and I thought that pistol grip shot gun was some kind of plastic stick.

Going back a bit but was it ever determined what was whited out of that other pic of Mickey on the bike in front of that school (I think it was a school)? I think there was talk about a car parked across the street and another discussion about what people thought they saw in the blown up photo (including Bigfoot, Mike Tyson and one of the Wiggles)...

All that's been determined is tha the picture was manipulated before it was released.

It is strange that it took so long to be released. I emailed the editor over at WRAL a news link to Mickey's case just in case the two cases are connected.

Thank you. Is that area a college hang out with bars. What time do bars close in Raleigh?

Yes, this happened very close to NCSU. I haven't hit the bars in a long time but there used to be (and I'd suspect still are) a bunch of bars on Hillsborough Street which is very close to where this happened. However, she was hit on Chamberlain and Stafford which is a residential area. It would have been pretty quiet there I'd suspect. I'm trying to put it on a Google map for you.

No alcohol can be served after 2am so most bars kick everyone out around 230am or so.

Adding a map.

A-Harris Teeter (where I suspect the video footage of the suspect came from)

B-where the victim was hit

C-where he took her

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Oberlin+Rd&daddr=Stafford+Ave+to:Horse+Track+Alley,+Raleigh,+NC+27607&hl=en&sll=35.790143,-78.664711&sspn=0.002885,0.006132&geocode=FZEiIgIdRrNP-w%3BFV4eIgIdu6lP-w%3BFe4XIgIdqqRP-yll4JULjfWsiTGsvcr7JALFlw&oq=chamberlain+s&gl=us&mra=ltm&t=m&z=17

IMO it appears that the Mickey pic has been like cleaned up or the others obscured. I don't know anything about it so I am asking ifbthe clarity ofbthe pics can have anything to do with a difference in the color?
If you compare the other objects in the pictures in the background/clot of pavement etc? Are all of those colors the same in comparison throughout all of the pictures?

Also IMO if the light is powered by pedaling as opposed to battery operated or whatever with a switch then the change in speed o the wheel turning would change the brightness o the light? Is there anyone who has determined which kind her bike light is?
Moo
Thanks in advance.

Some "Enhancments" could certainly alter the colors in an image, and color picking various locations on both pics, as you suggest, will help in determing if that has happened.
I'm using Hue (H), Saturation (S) and Value (V), Value is a representation of Brightness. If you compare the sample numbers in each group between the two images you'll see that overall they are very close. But, the numbers are way off when comparing Mickey's light with the "light under the truck".
I think there has been some enhancement done to both images, but identical procedures weren't used on each. The Truck image seems to have more sharpenning applied for example.

Gas pump in Mickey image:
Sample 1 = 353, 11, 91
Sample 2 = 355, 12, 75
Sample 3 = 340, 8, 74
Sample 4 = 340, 9, 69

Gas pump in Truck image:
Sample 1 = 350, 6, 83
Sample 2 = 339, 8, 80
Sample 3 = 339, 9, 78
Sample 4 = 349, 8, 79
----------------------------------------
Grass landscaping in Mickey image:
Sample 1 = 96, 15, 27
Sample 2 = 76, 24, 25
Sample 3 = 52, 32, 36
Sample 4 = 50, 23, 31

Grass Lanscaping in Truck image:
Sample 1 = 70, 10, 24
Sample 2 = 72, 7, 26
Sample 3 = 57, 25, 33
Sample 4 = 49, 42, 30
----------------------------------------
Road in Mickey image:
Sample 1 = 4, 16, 36
Sample 2 = 31, 34, 40
Sample 3 = 26, 42, 46
Sample 4 = 30, 55, 30

Road in Truck image:
Sample 1 = 0, 14, 38
Sample 2 = 28, 35, 40
Sample 3 = 28, 39, 49
Sample 4 = 25, 41, 37

It makes sense that a light powered by peddling would become dimmer when peddling slower. But, I don't think it would significantly alter it's color or hue we'd, more likely, see just a much lower brightness value and lower saturation.
And wouldn't the light go out completely if the peddling or wheel stopped?

Please tell me you still have that picture, just in case. Also, please don't post it here. :) I cannot even imagine the confusion that may cause. Turn it in as a tip again. You never know. If LE releases it, please, post it here again and again.

I still have the photos.

I do not mean to suggest that this truck driver is the guy, only that construction, oil and other industry workers do travel throughout the southeast for work - giving a perp the perfect escape back out of state once the crime has been committed. We are looking local and he is targeting his next victim in a state far away. 30 days is plenty of time to trade a vehicle.

The NC tie in with this recent story and the one month (to the day) apart just made me recall my photo and thoughts that day in early June that a likely perp would not be a local.

ETA-I have forwarded my photos (lic plate # visible) and the NC news article to John Abdella.

Yes, this happened very close to NCSU. I haven't hit the bars in a long time but there used to be (and I'd suspect still are) a bunch of bars on Hillsborough Street which is very close to where this happened. However, she was hit on Chamberlain and Stafford which is a residential area. It would have been pretty quiet there I'd suspect. I'm trying to put it on a Google map for you.

No alcohol can be served after 2am so most bars kick everyone out around 230am or so.

Adding a map.

C-where he took her

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Oberlin+Rd&daddr=Stafford+Ave+to:Horse+Track+Alley,+Raleigh,+NC+27607&hl=en&sll=35.790143,-78.664711&sspn=0.002885,0.006132&geocode=FZEiIgIdRrNP-w%3BFV4eIgIdu6lP-w%3BFe4XIgIdqqRP-yll4JULjfWsiTGsvcr7JALFlw&oq=chamberlain+s&gl=us&mra=ltm&t=m&z=17

Toadlily, can you get a physical description of the victim? TIA

Adding a map.

C-where he took her

I notice he took her Horse Track Alley to assult her. Is there a horse track nearby? The chances of this incident being related to Mickeys is slim but the name of the alley did get my attention.

God, this is my favorite bar.:floorlaugh:

I notice he took her Horse Track Alley to assult her. Is there a horse track nearby? The chances of this incident being related to Mickeys is slim but the name of the alley did get my attention.

I had to look that up to be honest. I had no clue it was called that. I've cut through there before as my friend lived right near there but I had no clue that it had a name. Not sure why it is called that but there are no horses or horse tracks any where near there. (maybe back in the day but now its right in the middle of the city)

And I have no idea how I'd even begin to get a description of the victim tbh as her name etc hasn't been released to the public.

The tower dumps would be good to use if you already knew the phone numbers you were looking for. As for sifting through hoping a phone is pinged, or whatever, good luck. So many people, ages 6-100 have cell phones now.

I'm not convinced either that the REDFLEX cameras aren't continuously recording. But those cameras are few and far between. They are different than the governmnet traffic cameras. There are also big signs as you approach those intersection letting you know that they are photo monitored. I think there is a sneaky loophole here, with REDFLEX being a private company, that voters for some ludicrous reason approved, towards privacy laws. The private company cameras are NOT the same as the gov/public cameras. I've never seen a sign pointing out those traffic camers. Its common knowledge, they're not recording, and if anyone wants to see the simply log on to LCG.gov. REDFLEX, however, is private. With the clarity of those cameras, I feel like they're a total invasion of privacy. They should have a warrant to look that closely inside my car, which I may be mistaken, but is considered to be an extension of my home!

So, let's just say REDFLEX is constantly recording and whomever has Mickey headed north on Univ. they'd have the truck at the intersection of Agnes/Simcoe and University AND getting on I-10, where they have sneakily (IMO) place a REDFLEX camera at the beginning of the acceleration lane that merges onto I-10!
- -don't speed up here at the acceleration lane... We have speeding cameras. We'd like you to get on I-10 at half the speed of the traveling vehicles--

I'm sorry. Those cameras burn me up. The benefits to them are just not reciprocal.

Anyway, point being there are cameras everywhere in Lafayette (and not all, but some that you think don't record actually do). Between the Redflex cams, some LCG cams, ATM cameras, bank cameras, private business and residence cameras, for her or the truck or the perp or something to not be caught on a camera somewhere past the LCG building would be next to impossible. It's again the fact that it's just too much work and expense to review all that. And if they did do it, they sure don't want the public knowing it because then after every crime ever people would be demanding all those same cameras be checked. And as far as the tower dumps, yeah its lots of records to sift through, but there are many documented cases where crimes were solved by doing just that. And again, it's a time/expense/resource issue. And if they did that, then once again everyone would be demanding they do it for every crime. And that is just far too much work and money to do that.

I agree with you. The cameras and everything else burn me up as well. I said it long ago that more people should put security into their own hands. If everyone, and everyone they know put security cameras on their properties and businesses, then we'd no longer have to rely on LPD and their silence/misinformation and politics

BBM
I did the same thing using the images that were available from LE's website, before any third party alterations were done. And my results are significantly different.
Mickey's Light gives an html notation of ffebed or HSV of 354, 8, 100
Under Truck gives an html notation of d0cccl or HSV of 44, 7, 82
I'm attaching a visual representation of those values for all to see. It's my opinion they aren't even close.

I also used the unaltered images, but I believed to be edited before release, at least as far as levels is concerned. So I used levels by way of my darkest and lightest point on each photograph to make sure the
tonality of the images were as close to the same as I could get them. Then I tried like the dickens to make sure I accurately picked the center or same center pixel is each photograph and got the same reading. Did you do anything to match tonality in both photographs before hand?

The Raleigh incident happened shortly before 2:30am. The victim of the attempted rape is a 22 year old woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla