LA LA - Nanette Watson Krentel, 49, found dead in house fire, Lacombe, 14 Jul 2017

I'm glad to see a thread here for Nanette. This story is local to me, although I've never met her or her husband. She and I have a few friends in common. My hinky meter went off immediately when I heard. Praying her family gets justice.

Is there a way for the mods to correct the spelling of Nanette 's town (Lacombe)? I'll alert my post to ask.

In today's (Sept. 13) local paper:

http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2017/09/death_of_north_shore_fire_chie.html#incart_2box

Interesting quotes: "But the Sheriff's Office in a media advisory Wednesday said it "does not necessarily support the coroner's conclusion'' that it was a homicide. Sheriff Randy Smith said he will hold a news conference on Thursday to provide an update on his department's investigation."

And this from the Coroner: ""Even before the second and third autopsies and the FACES Lab's report, there was adequate evidence to rule the death a homicide," Preston said."

Curious to hear what the Sheriff has to say tomorrow.

In today's (Sept. 13) local paper:

http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2017/09/death_of_north_shore_fire_chie.html#incart_2box

Interesting quotes: "But the Sheriff's Office in a media advisory Wednesday said it "does not necessarily support the coroner's conclusion'' that it was a homicide. Sheriff Randy Smith said he will hold a news conference on Thursday to provide an update on his department's investigation."

And this from the Coroner: ""Even before the second and third autopsies and the FACES Lab's report, there was adequate evidence to rule the death a homicide," Preston said."

Curious to hear what the Sheriff has to say tomorrow.

RBBM: Yes indeed. It is most curious.

Today's news (9/14/17): Sheriff clears the fire chief/husband in Nanette's death:

http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2017/09/nanette_krentel_death_investig.html#incart_2box

I'm not suggesting that the husband is in any way involved, but it's not often I see LE outright clear someone. (I'm sure it happens, I just don't see it often.)

I've seen many cases where LE will state that a person is "not a suspect" (and more often than not, a totally different person is arrested), but "cleared" is much bolder statement, IMO. I wonder what compelling evidence they have that proves he had nothing to do with this.

I hope Nanette's loved ones find justice.

Today's news (9/14/17): Sheriff clears the fire chief/husband in Nanette's death:

http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2017/09/nanette_krentel_death_investig.html#incart_2box

I'm not suggesting that the husband is in any way involved, but it's not often I see LE outright clear someone. (I'm sure it happens, I just don't see it often.)

I've seen many cases where LE will state that a person is "not a suspect" (and more often than not, a totally different person is arrested), but "cleared" is much bolder statement, IMO. I wonder what compelling evidence they have that proves he had nothing to do with this.

This whole thing is complete horses***.

There is something fishy about this. Somewhat contradicting. They could have cleared him because he supposedly has a rock solid alibi. But the house was on fire for almost an hour before the fire department arrived (or were notified) and coincidentally Nanette's husband is the first to arrive on the scene. How does that alibi fit?

We don't even know when she was killed. It could have been several hours before the fire was set. There could be more than one person involved in this.

There is something fishy about this. Somewhat contradicting. They could have cleared him because he supposedly has a rock solid alibi. But the house was on fire for almost an hour before the fire department arrived (or were notified) and coincidentally Nanette's husband is the first to arrive on the scene. How does that alibi fit?

We don't even know when she was killed. It could have been several hours before the fire was set. There could be more than one person involved in this.

I've wondered this is well.

I'm also considering the possibility that perhaps there was a break in/assault in which Nanette was killed and the fire was started to destroy DNA.

I wish the FBI could get involved with this case.The sheriff in this case first had problems calling it a homicide and seems to go out of his way to defend husband.Makes me very uncomfortable.

I live in Covington, LA about 15 minutes from Lacombe. Have had a bad feeling about this since it broke. Long time lurker, first post!
Now after reading this thread and what was posted on facebook about a relationship that could foster a motive, I am more suspicious!

My husband is a Lt. in his fire department and I sent him the sept. 13 article. I texted it to him and said "Fire Chief is in trouble". He replied "He's a chief. He knows that a gun shot wound to the head would show up. She started the house on fire then killed herself or killed herself and left something on the stove. " it didn't say anything in that article about suicide.

I don't know that I agree that she killed herself, but he also said that he could of killed her other ways and it not show up. That he would of known a bullet would show.

My husband is a Lt. in his fire department and I sent him the sept. 13 article. I texted it to him and said "Fire Chief is in trouble". He replied "He's a chief. He knows that a gun shot wound to the head would show up. She started the house on fire then killed herself or killed herself and left something on the stove. " it didn't say anything in that article about suicide.

I don't know that I agree that she killed herself, but he also said that he could of killed her other ways and it not show up. That he would of known a bullet would show.

I agree that a police chief or fire fighter would have a very good idea about what evidence a fire might or might not conceal. That's one thing that gnaws at me.

I also had a hard time believing the fire was accidental (before it was discovered that she was shot).

I pondered the suicide angle but never fully bought into it. I've never met her, but this case is local to me, so I know a few friends of hers who didn't believe it. (I know it's not always easy to predict, but often hindsight is 20/20 and no one I've heard discuss the case that knew her got that vibe.)

The coroner says homicide which seems to me that either the gun wasn't found (or not within her reach) or the bullet wound ruled out suicide.

It's easy to suspect the husband, because we've seen it many times before. It could be someone completely different who set the fire to cover up DNA evidence. I'm trying to keep an open mind. There seems to be so little to go on.

I live in Covington, LA about 15 minutes from Lacombe. Have had a bad feeling about this since it broke. Long time lurker, first post!
Now after reading this thread and what was posted on facebook about a relationship that could foster a motive, I am more suspicious!

:welcome:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back