Law Enforcement/the Brianna case

Discussion in 'Brianna Denison' started by KR2tonenow, Feb 25, 2008.

1. 10EC_Dad

10EC_Dad Former Member

2. SeriouslySearching

SeriouslySearching Well-Known Member

If you reread my post, you will see that I meant that people who are taking off on their own are not being held accountable...to their families, to their creditors, to the IRS, to the community, or to their other obligations which they are leaving behind. Someone will become responsible for all those things in their absence. To me, this is unconscionable. We should put some legality in place to thwart this behavior. As it is now, it is perfectly legal to walk away. How many times have we heard that one from LE?! It is NOT a crime to vanish. It should be!

3. 10EC_Dad

10EC_Dad Former Member

I will say it again, that sounds like the Soviet Union. "Your papers must be in order!"

In theory, your suggestion sounds great. In practice, how are you going to enforce it?

4. 10EC_Dad

10EC_Dad Former Member

What is working? Do you not see it?

Who are all those people sleeping in the prisons?

5. NewMommy09

NewMommy09 Well-Known Member

6. 10EC_Dad

10EC_Dad Former Member

7. NewMommy09

8. SeriouslySearching

When the people are found, they will face prison time and/or hefty fines instead of getting to come home and say, "Sorry...just had to clear my head" and step back into their old lives unless they gave notice of their intent to leave with someone to call off a search for them.

Don't go throwing such tripe around as this being anything like the Soviet Union!! This is America. We do have laws, certain freedoms, and rights...however...we also have to be accountable for our actions. Walking away from our lives should not be an easy option for anyone. Ask the people who deal with the messes left behind!

9. 10EC_Dad

10EC_Dad Former Member

10. 10EC_Dad

10EC_Dad Former Member

Let me ask, in the spirit of accountabilty:

1) How would you implement this?
    2)How would you track compliance?
    3)How would you prosecute?
    4)What would be the penalty?

Looking forward to your well reasoned solution.

11. 10EC_Dad

10EC_Dad Former Member

Guess what? Every women who did not fill out their "paperwork" is going to be a battered woman running from someone. How much money are we going to spend procsecuting that?

Like I have said, good theory but bad practice.

12. SeriouslySearching

Darn right she should let her attorney know or someone in authority!! You BET she should let someone in on her trying to get away to save her life! LE should be the one she calls in order to get away, but at the very least...a priest or an attorney should know where she is going in order to make sure she stays safe! IT IS A DARN GOOD POLICY! (I take it you don't know much about battered women trying to escape the abuser, huh?)

Dad~ I can name you four or five women off the top of my head that wasted LE's time and money while they just decided to traipse off into the netherland. Runaway Bride comes to mind, for one. While they did give her some community service and a fine...I didn't feel it was stiff enough.

13. SeriouslySearching

Here is part of it!

14. NewMommy09

I don't understand the point of the battered woman reference. There are already shelters which help battered women. It would be relatively easy to include the paperwork to "disappear by choice" into the process and protocol for these shelters. As I said in a previous post, the paperwork or file would not be available to family/friends, only to proper authorities. Therefor, I don't see how this "law" would create issues for battered women as her abuser would not be privy to this info.

15. NewMommy09

I also said before that community service performed on other missing persons cases would be a reasonable and productive penalty. It would give the offender an understanding of why and how these other cases are hurt by their actions.

16. NewMommy09

I also wanted to add that it's my belief that this "law" would also serve as a deterrant. If people know there will be penalties for taking off and not following the proper protocol, some of them will choose either to not just take off or to file the paperwork. There will always be those who don't follow the law but that's true of all laws and scenarios.

17. SeriouslySearching

How is this much different than allowing women to drop off newborn babies at a hospital or fire station if they want to disown them? I don't see much difference in the theory of putting something in place to allow LE to know you are voluntarily missing and choose not to be found. Neither do the mothers that take advantage of the law when they disown their child. The ones who do not follow the law to the letter are then hunted down and charged with abandonment, etc.

The point is...there IS no law in place currently to charge you for walking out on your life or leaving your wife and/or children to suffer. When they do find you, they do not have the legal right to do anything. This should be changed.

If you haven't already...go read the threads on Jon Van Dyke. It is what is happening in that case. He is free to come out of hiding and continue on with whatever new life he decided upon after years of searching for him. Not even a slap on the wrist! Justice?! No way!

18. NewMommy09

Ss,
    That was a very good point about safe haven laws.

If mothers can legally abandon a child if procedures are followed, why would this be different? People still abandon babies not following those protocols. There are always those who don't follow the rules or laws. But how many lives have been saved because of The Safe Haven law?

19. Utopia

Utopia New Member

I totally get what you are saying about the irresponsible actions of "runaways" and the repercussions of their abandonment. Here's my concern however. The husbands of Lisa Stebic, Theresa Parker and Stacey Peterson have all claimed their wives just up and left. Assuming the husbands are responsible for these disappearances (most here think they are), what a gift for them if a mechanism like the one you suggest were in place! It would not be difficult for them to either forge a signature or "coerce" one to be signed and voila!, no more searching for the victim or blaming the murderer.

20. NewMommy09

Good point. That is why there would have to be a legal witness and a process to make sure identification is verified etc. And if there is evidence of foul-play as in each of the above mentioned cases, the "voluntary disappearance" would need to be further investigated or voided. Of course it would not be fool-proof, but no law process is. If only 1 of 5 cases is not pursued because there is proof the disappearance is voluntary, that is still a significant amount of time/resources/money that will not be wasted.