Lawmakers approve $20 million for Jaycee

Almost every state is under the economic gun at this point - that said, CA is no different. This state's probation office screwed up big time - they didn't just visit this pedofile's home once (and visit is a stretch) - they visited a few times. They never stepped foot in the backyard - they performed the bare bones visit and interview - he snowballed them. I'm sorry that LE and others may or have been laid off but they didn't perform the job with the budgetary funding available for the 19 years Jaycee was missing - what's to say they'll do better in the future with more money or level funding?

Make the most of your life, get an education for yourself and your daughters, Jaycee. You earned that $20 million every day you were in prison.

it was a poor analogy, i expect better from you :)

The Caylee one? Yeah, you're probably right. LOL.

btw when i was doing research for my case in vegas, i found out in england, they actually fine exonerated inmates for 'freeloading' off the goverment while imprisoned :waitasec:

Geez, that's pretty messed up!

Almost every state is under the economic gun at this point - that said, CA is no different. This state's probation office screwed up big time - they didn't just visit this pedofile's home once (and visit is a stretch) - they visited a few times. They never stepped foot in the backyard - they performed the bare bones visit and interview - he snowballed them.

Oh, there's no doubt that they screwed up here; however, I don't think that's the issue at all.

I'm sorry that LE and others may or have been laid off but they didn't perform the job with the budgetary funding available for the 19 years Jaycee was missing.

They? There are thousands of police officers in CA, but not all of them failed Jaycee. Fewer than 1% were directly involved with monitoring Garrido.

An example of a great cop would be Ally Jacobs, the officer who essentially broke Jaycee's case. Now, what would happen if someone like her had been laid off (or had never been hired) due to budget cuts and a missing kid went undetected?

what's to say they'll do better in the future with more money or level funding?

I'm sure there will always be incompetent people out there. Police officers are no exception. That being said, the more people you have, the more likely you are to have people who are capable of doing a good job. Not only that, but if you were a parole officer, would you do a better, more thorough job if you were in charge of fifty parolees or if you were in charge of fifteen parolees? Obviously, the fewer parolees you were charged with, the more time and energy you would have to monitor each of them individually.

Let's say you work in a police department and are in charge of helping to locate a missing child. Your department receives thousands of tips, and someone has to follow up on them. In general, who would be able to follow up more quickly and effectively: two overburdened and underpaid police officers or a well-staffed team of ten police officers?

well i dont think all cops in california messed up. those leading the investigation in s. lake tahoe did everything they could for 18 years to find jaycee, long after the case went cold.

if i recall correctly, el dorodo county officers visited terry in riverside in early august last year and said they were re-opening the case.

so they were doing there jobs. they just didnt have the right tips.

its everyone involved in the anitoch disaster that is responsbile for this mess, not to mention nevada that paroled his butt in the first place and wasnt paying attention when he kidnapped her.

Human nature being what it is, there will always be mistakes. It's unfortunate and tragic, but it's true. And to effectively eliminate the problem of the criminal, you need to have a strong police force and a strong corrections department, both of which require money to operate.

There is a huge difference between a mistake and what has happened to JC. there were to many situations in this case that were Negligent, and out right lazy BS not real effort to find her.

I do not call it a mistake. Especially in CCC, where corruption by police is running ramped.

I do not know if this is a one time only kind of payment.
If anyone else is found after all this time, chances are they too will get a large sum.
IMHO if JC and family would sue the state she would get much more.
IMHO they gave her just enough so that it wont cost them more.

I hope they do find more girls who are missing a long time, and I hope they do pay through their nose.
There is no reason JC should not have been found much sooner other then NEGLIGENCE AND STUPIDITY.
Nevada Should have paid too, and maybe that part is not over yet. MOO

PAY CALIFORNIA PAY !!! And if they find more gitl then pay more.
Maybe if they would terminate the Terminator there would not be 17,000 perps running around free.

im very happy for her and her family. i dont really care if its unpopular either. people are charitable up until they have to actually open there wallets, know what i mean?

i also think the state of california did this more as a stategic move then out of the 'goodness' of there 'hearts.' tactically its brilliant. if you dole out 20 million to the dugards/probyns, its not very likely she is gonna sue you now without massive backlash right?

and they still dont admit they all messed up, either.

but all that matters is Jaycee, her girls, and her mom dont have to worry about where there gonna live, what education they'll get, if they'll have health insurance, how much they need for therapy.

and maybe they can take that long planned trip to disneyland :)

PERSONALY, I wish there had been enough donations so that they can hold off on taking this money and SUE the Chit out of both California and Nevada. But wishing does not make it so.

JC and family do need the money, and by taking it, they do forfeit suing California in the future. they do not forfeit suing Nevada. I am glad they got this money to make life easier for them all. I hope there will be a movie some day (more money). It is also cathartic / healing to write this story.
I wonder if Carl will get anything for all the chit they put that poor man through - I hope he does.
I wonder if Terry will get anything? She should. This 20M is for JC and the girls.

I agree that it was a strategy move by California.
It is not over till it is over.

PERSONALY, I wish there had been enough donations so that they can hold off on taking this money and SUE the Chit out of both California and Nevada. But wishing does not make it so.

JC and family do need the money, and by taking it, they do forfeit suing California in the future. they do not forfeit suing Nevada. I am glad they got this money to make life easier for them all. I hope there will be a movie some day (more money). It is also cathartic / healing to write this story.
I wonder if Carl will get anything for all the chit they put that poor man through - I hope he does.
I wonder if Terry will get anything? She should. This 20M is for JC and the girls.

I agree that it was a strategy move by California.
It is not over till it is over.

i dont think jaycee and the girls are gonna horde the money lol i think it is for all the family, for what they need, and can see them giving money to charities too.

i will read any book the FAMILY (i.e not slayton) puts out. i dont think that is 'selling out' i think that is putting into words what you've been thru.

i dont think jaycee and the girls are gonna horde the money lol i think it is for all the family, for what they need, and can see them giving money to charities too.

i will read any book the FAMILY (i.e not slayton) puts out. i dont think that is 'selling out' i think that is putting into words what you've been thru.
YES JC has no clue what money is. She may understand how to get change for a loaf of bread or an ice cream but when you talk millions she needs Terry to help make some of the decisions. I am sure she would be generous.
BUT...the money was legally designated to JC and the Girls. Carl was wrongfully tortured, I believe he too can get money JMO I SURE HOPE HE WILL.

I too would buy the books the family writes. Not any book the sperm donor or the "G"s would write.

There is a huge difference between a mistake and what has happened to JC. there were to many situations in this case that were Negligent, and out right lazy BS not real effort to find her.

Mistakes come in all shapes and sizes, and I agree that this was a pretty big -- and very tragic! -- mistake. Jaycee's situation is rare, but what about the people who were killed due to mistakes? Do you think their families should be awarded $20 million? What about wrongfully convicted inmates? If so, how do you think the state of CA should pay for numerous multimillion dollar claims without cutting other essential services?

I hope they do find more girls who are missing a long time, and I hope they do pay through their nose.

One thing that's interesting to note is that the mother of another missing child (a child who has been missing for over twenty years) thinks that the settlement amount is a bit much. Like a lot of people, she thinks that $5 million or so would have sufficed. She has said that she would not want such a large amount if her child's found because she knows that police departments struggle from lack of funding -- funding that provides resources that are necessary in helping to find other missing kids.

PAY CALIFORNIA PAY !!!

The only thing is, the they in this case doesn't refer to the people who actually screwed up; it refers to the innocent taxpayers who had nothing to do with this negligence. Unfortunately, they're the ones who will have to pay, and they're the ones who will continue to suffer from negligence.

Maybe if they would terminate the Terminator there would not be 17,000 perps running around free.

Well, his days in office may be numbered because it seems like a lot of people are dissatisfied with him for many, many reasons.

As for the 17,000 perps, that's a recipe for disaster as far as I'm concerned. Out of curiosity, though, how do you think the state should go about parole reform so as to avoid a situation like Jaycee's from happening again? Do you think the $19 billion deficit will make this more difficult?

Not sure where CA is going to get that kind of money. They've already stopped unemployment (6/12) and many other programs. Yes, I agree she should be compensated for the mistakes made, but 20 million? Something seems a little off to me.

MOO

Mel

ETA: The only folks who are going to pay this 20 million are us, the CA taxpayers. Boy I can't wait to see what I'm gonna owe this year -- through no fault of my own. :(

Mistakes come in all shapes and sizes, and I agree that this was a pretty big -- and very tragic! -- mistake. Jaycee's situation is rare, but what about the people who were killed due to mistakes? Do you think their families should be awarded $20 million? What about wrongfully convicted inmates? If so, how do you think the state of CA should pay for numerous multimillion dollar claims without cutting other essential services?
i HAVE TO LEAVE HOUSE SOON BUT WILL TRY TO GIVE YOU A QUICK ANSWEAR. Yes I have seen parents of dead children get money because of big mistakes, and it does not bring their child back

One thing that's interesting to note is that the mother of another missing child (a child who has been missing for over twenty years) thinks that the settlement amount is a bit much. Like a lot of people, she thinks that $5 million or so would have sufficed. She has said that she would not want such a large amount if her child's found because she knows that police departments struggle from lack of funding -- funding that provides resources that are necessary in helping to find other missing kids.There 3 people involved her, that need to be educated and therapy, I do not think that anyone who says it is too much is educated and has a clue what it will cost for them to heal on many levels. ALSO live without a job for the unforeseeable future, probably for ever.

The only thing is, the they in this case doesn't refer to the people who actually screwed up; it refers to the innocent taxpayers who had nothing to do with this negligence. Unfortunately, they're the ones who will have to pay, and they're the ones who will continue to suffer from negligence.
The innocent Tax payers are going to pay anyway, lets face it, there is no way we are not paying for the deficits all over the Country

Well, his days in office may be numbered because it seems like a lot of people are dissatisfied with him for many, many reasons. YES let him go back to the big screen, he is no politician at all

As for the 17,000 perps, that's a recipe for disaster as far as I'm concerned. Out of curiosity, though, how do you think the state should go about parole reform so as to avoid a situation like Jaycee's from happening again? Do you think the $19 billion deficit will make this more difficult? This was not a parole reform, it was a way to save money today, and save jobs tomorrow by creating a revolving door at the expense of innocent people.

I realize that most people would jump for joy at the concept of one million dollars me included.
but I also know that most people have no idea that 5 million today does not go a long way at all. with needing housing, education and therapy plus legal help and security help she is not siting with a huge bundle. They can not work, they do need help. I love that they got this money, and I think they deserve it. I still think that Carl should get money too for all the false accusations, that changed his reputation, work environment, family life.

I still think the Police work sucked. As for any of the dead people or parent who lost loved ones, IF THEY CAN SHOW that the police work sucked they too can stand in line for a check. In the JC case it is apparent that the police and PO dropped the ball not once, not twice but too many times.
MOO

i dont undertand the need to think 'thats too much money'. can you really put a dollar figure on what they went thru?

this isnt just something that happened to them one day 20 years ago and it was over. this is something last lasted 20 years......a generation. it tore a family apart. a husband and wife broke up. her family tried to have him put in prison for 'killing' her daughter. a little sister grew up without her big sister and watched her parents relationship disintegrate. a mother woke up for 6500 days not knowing whether her daughter was alive or not. and a father was under suspicion on top of feeling responsbile that he couldnt get to her in time.

and this isnt even taken into account what jaycee and her girls went thru on the other end of it. how much money are there lives worth? a million? 500,000?

so we can say '5 million is enough' or 'one million is enough' but unless we are in there shoes we cant say that. they have gone thru so much and will continue to go thru more.

so i dont get why a price tag needs to be attached.

i dont undertand the need to think 'thats too much money'. can you really put a dollar figure on what they went thru?

this isnt just something that happened to them one day 20 years ago and it was over. this is something last lasted 20 years......a generation. it tore a family apart. a husband and wife broke up. her family tried to have him put in prison for 'killing' her daughter. a little sister grew up without her big sister and watched her parents relationship disintegrate. a mother woke up for 6500 days not knowing whether her daughter was alive or not. and a father was under suspicion on top of feeling responsbile that he couldnt get to her in time.

and this isnt even taken into account what jaycee and her girls went thru on the other end of it. how much money are there lives worth? a million? 500,000?

so we can say '5 million is enough' or 'one million is enough' but unless we are in there shoes we cant say that. they have gone thru so much and will continue to go thru more.

so i dont get why a price tag needs to be attached.
It is not too much money at all. IMHO it is hardly enough another 80M MORE may be the figure I would have gone after. 100M is not enough either. And dont forget it may cost 20M in legal fees alone. the strong kind of attorney they need charges by the second. 20M be gone in no time.
MOO

I realize that when people say the word MILLION many people think it is a lot of money. It is no longer a lot of money. (It would be a lot to me, but it is NOT a lot of money)
Today they count in Billion and Trillion...LOL They spend way over 40M a day on war, many billions a year.
WWII cost the world (not just USA) 288 Billion ---- I overheard somewhere that the recent war in the Middle East cost the USA one Trillion. MONEY Value is not the same as it used to be.

IMHO JC got peanuts. I say peanuts because just education and legal fees will wipe her out.

Well, his days in office may be numbered because it seems like a lot of people are dissatisfied with him for many, many reasons.
He is a lame duck governor literally. He is termed out of office in January. The choices are: Meg Whitman of E-Bay (scary, IMO!) or Jerry Brown. I'm voting to re-elect Governor Moonbeam!

He is a lame duck governor literally. He is termed out of office in January. The choices are: Meg Whitman of E-Bay (scary, IMO!) or Jerry Brown. I'm voting to re-elect Governor Moonbeam!
Isnt this the same guy I believe he is the one who is tough on Law in the Anna Nicle case. He is not turning a blind eye to Howard Stern at all. I kind of like this guy Jerry Brown.

Isnt this the same guy I believe he is the one who is tough on Law in the Anna Nicle case. He is not turning a blind eye to Howard Stern at all. I kind of like this guy Jerry Brown.
Yes! That's him. Since his term as governor, he's been Mayor of Oakland, and Attorney General of California. He also ran for president against Bill Clinton.

And he just recently dismissed charges against a murderer named Jimmy Hughes who killed a friend of mine's father in Riverside County - a complete miscarriage of justice. That case is ripe with dirty dealings and corruption. Any chance of me voting for Jerry went out the window July 1st.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/02/local/la-me-octopus-murders-20100702

That article implies that the charges were dismissed because of new evidence that would make conviction unlikely. What did you expect them to do? Hide the evidence from the defence so they could make their case?

There is no new evidence - if there was, why not release it? This case has been squashed by the powers that be from day one and it continues to be.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread and pull it off-topic. It is just that when I see praise for Jerry Brown on the very same week that he assisted an injustice, it was hard to stay silent.

And he just recently dismissed charges against a murderer named Jimmy Hughes who killed a friend of mine's father in Riverside County - a complete miscarriage of justice. That case is ripe with dirty dealings and corruption. Any chance of me voting for Jerry went out the window July 1st.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/02/local/la-me-octopus-murders-20100702

I do not know this case and I am very sorry you lost a friend.
I am a New Yorker and know little of him. dispite the fact that he ran against one of my favorite Bill Clinton. :)
I know of him only through the Anna Nicole Case and he is tough and not eating crow. What seems to me as the misfortune in your friends case IMO this case lingered since 1981 - unfortunately I believe the longer any case lingers, the more details are forgotten, lost, misconstrued, etc.....and the case never seems to See real justice. It should have been handled a long long time ago. Again I am sorry for your lose. JMHO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back