Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath Reddit AMA Special Monday 10/9c A&E

Discussion in 'Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath' started by tlcya, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Madeleine74

Madeleine74 Of course it's my opinion, who else's would it be?

Question for those who might know: I heard it said a few times in various episodes that if someone wants to leave the cult quietly and not disparage $cientology then, essentially, that's ok and they won't be followed, etc. However, every story seems to be of someone escaping, just deciding to get away quietly, then being followed, harassed, tried to be brought back, etc.

Most of these people who escaped did not say anything publicly for some period of time, when they got tired of the harassment and then decided to fight back and be public about it.

So which is it?

Some people are allowed to escape quietly while others are not?

2. sooverit

sooverit New Member

You are right, it's both! No really, pay close attention to who the people are that escaped and are harassed, they usually are high up in the Sea Org and know where the bodies are buried, so to speak. They usually make at least some effort to get anyone who leaves to return, and try harder with Sea Org members.

3. MagicRose99

MagicRose99 Watch out for my thorns!

FYI: A&E is re-showing this special on Memorial Day to get ready for Season 2 of the show.

4. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...us-cult-calvary-baptist-church-pastor/2330358
    Calling Scientology a dangerous 'cult,' Calvary Baptist Church pastor intended to help A&E film episode for Leah Remini series
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:30pm
    CLEARWATER — In an unprecedented public condemnation by a local religious organization about the Church of Scientology, Calvary Baptist Church Pastor Willy Rice declared Wednesday that the "community has been tormented by this Goliath for far too long."
    "Someone has to pick up a rock and a slingshot and trust God with the results," Rice wrote in a blog post that has since been removed from the Calvary website. "We believe we are in a unique position in this community and should try to help."
    To expose "the cult's dangerous, deceptive and abusive practices," Calvary Baptist had committed to allow A&E's Emmy-nominated Scientology and the Aftermath series to film a public forum in its worship center July 22. However, on Thursday, A&E senior vice president Dan Silberman said the network never arranged for such a town hall and none will be held.
    Silberman said the show's producers talked about filming private interviews at Calvary, but not in a public format. Silberman said, to his knowledge, A&E was not pressured by Scientology.
    […]

5. Bently

Bently Former Member

The Church of Scientology closed down Clearwater downtown today for a Church sponsored block party.

SeaSeas, didn't the Church of Scientology buy the land that Calvary Baptist Church used to be downtown, overlooking the bay, many many years ago?

6. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

https://bestthingsfl.com/event/summer-downtown-block-party-2017-2017-07-15-clearwater-fl.html
    Summer Downtown Block Party 2017
    Saturday, Jul 15, 2017

Sponsored by the Church if Scientology Flag Service Organization

I haven’t followed all of the real estate transactions.
    Calvary Baptist Church sold to Opus South. I don’t know if Opus South has Co$ affiliation.

Here is a 2004 news article:
    http://www.sptimes.com/2004/11/02/Northpinellas/Buyer_found_for_Calva.shtml
    Buyer found for Calvary Baptist campus
    CLEARWATER - A nationally known developer emerged Monday as the buyer of Calvary Baptist Church's downtown campus.
    Opus South also has its eyes on City Hall, which splits the church's properties and overlooks Clearwater Harbor.

More information:
    http://www.tbnweekly.com/content_articles/111004_cit-01.txt
    http://www.clearwaterpostulate.com/clearwater/new-plans-for-church-site-city-hall-offer-win-for-all/

I’m not sure which entity is more slimy – Co$ or Calvary Baptist Church.
    OK, if I had to choose ONE, it would be Co$.

7. Bently

Bently Former Member

I'm looking at On Demand right now, there were eight episodes.

I came back to the thread because I just saw that they are going to have another season in August. Apparently they have a lot of other people they are going to also interview this year.

8. CherCher

CherCher Member

One question that I have never seen addressed by anyone either in Scientology, or out of it, is why they never go preach to poor people. Why don't they spread their "message" to people in low income neighborhoods? The fact that they don't should tell you something about the group right there. If ALL humans are descended from these supposed "thetans" and just have to get back to their beginnings and lose all the human dross, doesn't that include poor people? Try preaching this in a famine village in Africa.

9. thefragile7393

thefragile7393 Chronically sleep deprived

Because it costs money to move up within the organization. Poor people can't afford that. That's what everything circles back to....money.

10. Bently

Bently Former Member

Season 2 starts tonight, 9-11 pm Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath - The Conversation Continues. It is still on A&E, but looks as it will be changing to Tuesdays.