Legal Questions for our Verified Lawyers #4

If this trial ends in a hung jury, what happens next? Is it a do-over starting from scratch: New jury selection, re-entering all the evidence into the record, etc. Would there be a whole new set of pre-trial hearings?

The new trial would no doubt sport Baez for the defense but would it likely be the same prosecution team? IMO it would be extremely difficult to seat a new jury and a new trial would be just as likely to be the same kind of circus this one is leaning toward so what are the odds of the state opting to not retry or at least taking the DP off the table if they do retry?

It would be a do-over for the trial, but not for pretrial hearings normally. Probably the same prosecutors would handle the case. No doubt plea agreement options would be discussed. I don't think the SA would take the death penalty off the table except as part of a plea agreement.

Is Casey charged with Felony Murder? I have heard this theory talked about, but in her indictment the murder charge is under Florida Statute 782.04(1)(a)(1) (premeditated murder). The felony murder theory, and specifically for aggravated child abuse, is Florida Statute 784.04(1)(a)(2)(h). This is not charged in the indictment I saw. I just want to clear this up, since it seems like people are pretty confident since with felony murder, intent doesn't have to be proven. But it doesn't look like that's the state's theory.

The latest "Gotcha" is that River Cruz will testify that GA said Caylee's death was an accident. Note the following quote from this story:

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/28302102/detail.html

"Typically, testifying about what someone told you is hearsay and not admissible, but Local 6 legal analyst Mark O’Mara said Holloway’s testimony would be allowed.
O’Mara said Holloway’s testimony could be used to impeach previous testimony by George Anthony that he knew nothing about Caylee drowning."

What say our legal experts? Does this get in as impeachment?

Could you please explain the difference between 'aggravated manslaughter' and '2nd degree murder'? And also what would be the possible penalties for each?

Thank you kindly. :)

I have a question about something I think is extremely important and is being completely overlooked.

First, that video animation of Caylee's skull with her photo (with KC IN the photo) with duct tape superimposed on it was NOT originally in evidence and the state slipped it in last minute.

Since the state introduced that evidence and the witness the state was all up in arms over would simply have been countering that video then I am not sure what all the fuss is over.

Doesn't the defense automatically have the right to counter anything the state presents without having to make special requests? If that has to be done then wouldn't that be a violation of due process and KC's right to a fair trial and an actual defense?

Wasn't the judge wrong in his reaction due to the witness testimony being a response to something the state already introduced?

Does Lawson Lamar (or any State's/Commonwealth's Attorney) ever practice while in office? I know it's a political risk to be front and center especially in high profile cases, but I've wondered from time to time. I did find this:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/04/12/bernstein-to-try-first-case-as-states-attorney/

...but I am not sure whether or not it's commonplace, or maybe they try the cases at higher levels/special prosecutions, and wanted to know what you guys have seen in your experience as there is not much on the internet about this topic. Our Commonwealth's Attorney was a fantastic prosecutor as an assistant but does not appear to try cases anymore.

Just curious, not necessarily going anywhere with it as far as this case....unless you see a reason it would be significant for Lawson Lamar to step in.

Many thanks to all the lawyers here for answering our questions.

Assuming that baez gets another bar complaint filed against him for once again 'willfully disobeying the Courts order'... That would be his fourth, correct? Judge Strickland filed one, dominic casey I believe, one for willfully disobeying Chief Judge Perrys orders, and now possibly being in contempt for the same thing. Am I missing any?

Anyway my question is...Is it normal for a lawyer to have so many bar complaints filed in a matter of just 3 years against them? I realize the bar has cleared him of all complaints, but is this common?

I don't understand how baez keeps squeaking by.

If Dr. William Rodriguez III really wasn't the co-founder of the Body Farm, does he get punished for misrepresentation, and what happens to JB, who broached the question? I ask this because I didn't see any mention of his name in the older write-ups about the Body Farm.
Is it true that anyone can write anything in Wiki, even if it is a deliberate falsehood?

Is Casey charged with Felony Murder? I have heard this theory talked about, but in her indictment the murder charge is under Florida Statute 782.04(1)(a)(1) (premeditated murder). The felony murder theory, and specifically for aggravated child abuse, is Florida Statute 784.04(1)(a)(2)(h). This is not charged in the indictment I saw. I just want to clear this up, since it seems like people are pretty confident since with felony murder, intent doesn't have to be proven. But it doesn't look like that's the state's theory.

In Florida, if the defendant is charged with 1st degree murder and also with a felony that qualifies for felony murder (which Casey is), then the jury may be instructed on felony murder even if it is not mentioned in the indictment.

The latest "Gotcha" is that River Cruz will testify that GA said Caylee's death was an accident. Note the following quote from this story:

"Typically, testifying about what someone told you is hearsay and not admissible, but Local 6 legal analyst Mark O’Mara said Holloway’s testimony would be allowed.
O’Mara said Holloway’s testimony could be used to impeach previous testimony by George Anthony that he knew nothing about Caylee drowning."

Yes. But only if she is really going to say that George told her this. IIRC last time she was asked she said George only told her he THOUGHT it was an accident that had spiraled out of control.

Could you please explain the difference between 'aggravated manslaughter' and '2nd degree murder'? And also what would be the possible penalties for each?

Thank you kindly. :)

2nd degree murder is acting with a depraved mind with reckless disregard for human life and could lead to a life sentence. Agg. manslaughter of a child means causing the death of a child by culpable negligence (i.e. an "accident" that you can be criminally blamed for). In Casey's case this would carry a sentence of 13-30 years.

I have a question about something I think is extremely important and is being completely overlooked.

First, that video animation of Caylee's skull with her photo (with KC IN the photo) with duct tape superimposed on it was NOT originally in evidence and the state slipped it in last minute.

Since the state introduced that evidence and the witness the state was all up in arms over would simply have been countering that video then I am not sure what all the fuss is over.

Doesn't the defense automatically have the right to counter anything the state presents without having to make special requests? If that has to be done then wouldn't that be a violation of due process and KC's right to a fair trial and an actual defense?

Wasn't the judge wrong in his reaction due to the witness testimony being a response to something the state already introduced?

The video was not "evidence" but a demonstrative aid. And it did nothing but superimpose images that WERE in evidence.

The witness was not going to "counter" the video. How could anyone "counter" a video that just shows that the duct tape COULD POSSIBLY have blocked Caylee's mouth and nose? That much is obvious. The question that was NOT addressed by the video is whether the duct tape IN FACT covered her mouth and nose.

Does Lawson Lamar (or any State's/Commonwealth's Attorney) ever practice while in office? I know it's a political risk to be front and center especially in high profile cases, but I've wondered from time to time. I did find this:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/04/12/bernstein-to-try-first-case-as-states-attorney/

...but I am not sure whether or not it's commonplace, or maybe they try the cases at higher levels/special prosecutions, and wanted to know what you guys have seen in your experience as there is not much on the internet about this topic. Our Commonwealth's Attorney was a fantastic prosecutor as an assistant but does not appear to try cases anymore.

Just curious, not necessarily going anywhere with it as far as this case....unless you see a reason it would be significant for Lawson Lamar to step in.

I think it is normal for chief state attorneys to try important cases, but also to give important cases to up-and-coming assistant state attorneys.

I can't imagine why he would need to step in on this case.

Many thanks to all the lawyers here for answering our questions.

Assuming that baez gets another bar complaint filed against him for once again 'willfully disobeying the Courts order'... That would be his fourth, correct? Judge Strickland filed one, dominic casey I believe, one for willfully disobeying Chief Judge Perrys orders, and now possibly being in contempt for the same thing. Am I missing any?

Anyway my question is...Is it normal for a lawyer to have so many bar complaints filed in a matter of just 3 years against them? I realize the bar has cleared him of all complaints, but is this common?

I don't understand how baez keeps squeaking by.

It isn't normal to have so many complaints, but it isn't normal to keep ticking people off, either. ;)

If Dr. William Rodriguez III really wasn't the co-founder of the Body Farm, does he get punished for misrepresentation, and what happens to JB, who broached the question? I ask this because I didn't see any mention of his name in the older write-ups about the Body Farm.
Is it true that anyone can write anything in Wiki, even if it is a deliberate falsehood?

Probably nothing would happen. It isn't an important point, and the SA is unlikely to raise the issue (assuming there is an issue).

Yes, people can and do write all sorts of lies into Wikipedia entries.

Just to add to Z-sleuth's post, please also read the two previous articles listed at the bottom of the page. With those articles in mind, and after JA's slaughter of at least two of the Defense's recent witnesses, is it wise for the Defense to bring in Ms Holloway? She and her sister have rather interesting criminal records of their own. How credible would Krystal Holloway aka River Cruz appear to a jury? Should we call the EMTs to be on standby for when JA gets through with her? I know it's not a crime to use an alias/pseudonym/stage name in general, but taking into account their criminal records, I can't see why JB and CM would even consider bringing her in to testify. Are they so desperate? :waitasec:

I have a very basic question and I hope no-one laughs :blushing:

What do the lawyers predict will be the outcome of this case? Guilty of murder (death penalty), LWOP, manslaughter etc.

I have read that HHJP has the final say. Is that in regards to the verdict (guilty or not-guilty) or is he only the final decision maker when it comes to the penalty phase? Either way, obviously there is a lot of information that has been released as evidence to the public that has not been brought to the jury. Would HHJP only be able to use the information that has been presented in court to make a final decision, or would he be able to use other evidence that did not make it to court (i.e. ICA"s reaction when the remains were found, and her reaction when other suspected remains were found, inmate letters, etc.)

In order to protect the integrity of this trial, can His Honor get Baez off as lead attorney and put CMason/AFinnell in his place? It appears Baez seems to be making some major blunders...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Paraphrasing here: Mark Geragos said last night during an interview on HLN (I don't remember who interviewed him) that HHJP's warnings to the DT mean pretty much "nothing", that attorneys disregard court's rulings "all the time", and that the consequences for JB would be minor.

Is this really true?

AZlawyer thank you so much for taking the time to answer so many questions. I've read each of your replies the last two threads and I would be completely in the dark about many of these questions without your reply. Your posts and explanations are very much appreciated!

:tyou::yourock:

Just to add to Z-sleuth's post, please also read the two previous articles listed at the bottom of the page. With those articles in mind, and after JA's slaughter of at least two of the Defense's recent witnesses, is it wise for the Defense to bring in Ms Holloway? She and her sister have rather interesting criminal records of their own. How credible would Krystal Holloway aka River Cruz appear to a jury? Should we call the EMTs to be on standby for when JA gets through with her? I know it's not a crime to use an alias/pseudonym/stage name in general, but taking into account their criminal records, I can't see why JB and CM would even consider bringing her in to testify. Are they so desperate? :waitasec:

I don't think she's an ideal witness at all. But if she is really going to say that George told her it WAS an accident (not that he THOUGHT it was an accident), it would be worth it for the defense to bring her in. Of course, IIRC her prior statement to LE was more like he THOUGHT it was an accident--if so, it would not be worth it to bring her in because she will be impeached with the prior statement.

What do the lawyers predict will be the outcome of this case? Guilty of murder (death penalty), LWOP, manslaughter etc.

Aggravated manslaughter of a child, 13-30 years.

But the defense is working hard to convince the jury of 1st degree murder. They may yet succeed.

I have read that HHJP has the final say. Is that in regards to the verdict (guilty or not-guilty) or is he only the final decision maker when it comes to the penalty phase? Either way, obviously there is a lot of information that has been released as evidence to the public that has not been brought to the jury. Would HHJP only be able to use the information that has been presented in court to make a final decision, or would he be able to use other evidence that did not make it to court (i.e. ICA"s reaction when the remains were found, and her reaction when other suspected remains were found, inmate letters, etc.)

HHJP has the "final say" on the verdict in the sense that he can determine that a guilty verdict is unsupported by the evidence and direct a verdict of not guilty. But really the jury has the final say on guilt vs. innocence. As for the penalty phase, the jury provides a "recommendation" and HHJP really does have the final say.

HHJP cannot consider information that was not presented in court.

In order to protect the integrity of this trial, can His Honor get Baez off as lead attorney and put CMason/AFinnell in his place? It appears Baez seems to be making some major blunders...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

No. (Short answer because multiple longer answers can be found by searching the lawyer threads. :))

Paraphrasing here: Mark Geragos said last night during an interview on HLN (I don't remember who interviewed him) that HHJP's warnings to the DT mean pretty much "nothing", that attorneys disregard court's rulings "all the time", and that the consequences for JB would be minor.

Is this really true?

IMO this is an overstatement, but the predictions that JB will lose his license are a drastic overstatement in the opposite direction. Repeated violations of the same order in front of a judge who is already ticked off with you are likely to result in some serious (but not disbarment-level serious) consequences. A fine, perhaps a few days in jail if HHJP hasn't cooled off by then, probably a censure letter from the state bar.

I agree with AZ: If George told Cruz he picked Caylee's dead body from the pool, her testimony about that statement would come in as impeachment [contradicting his prior testimony that he knows nothing about the circumstances of her death].

But, if Cruz's testifies to the statements by George that she mentioned when interrogated by the police, she will not testify that George said that. The transcript of that interrogation is available, and you can read it for yourselves. She referred to two statements by George. The first, which he told her early on, when Casey was initially taken into custody, is the one the defense wants the jury to hear. He did not claim to have witnessed anything, or that Casey told him anything. Cruz says he uttered words to the effect that "it was an accident". But if you read those words carefully and in context, you will see clearly that he meant "it must have been an accident", which is something very different.

But if you have any doubt as to the meaning of his first statement, the doubt will be resolved by the second one. He told Cruz about an incident, after Casey was released from custody and living in the Anthony home, when George angrily confronted Casey -- I think he said he shoved her against a wall and had his hands on her throat -- and he accused her killing Caylee and demanded that she move out of his home.

If the defense calls her to testify about the first statement, the second statement will come in [as impeachment, if nothing else]. That will be very, very unfortunate for Casey. As you can imagine, testimony offered to prove a statement by the defendant's father, to the effect that he believes his daughter is guilty, is ordinarily not admissible. For a host of reasons. If offered to prove the defendant is, in fact, guilty, it lacks foundation. If offered to prove he believes she is guilty, it is irrelevant. And it is also extremely prejudicial.

But here, once Baez has Cruz testify about George's first statement, I don't see how the judge can keep the second statement out, since it clarifies or contradicts first statement. Thus, calling Cruz will result in admision of George's otherwise inadmissible statement, that he believes his daughter killed his granddaughter.

The only rational explanation I can think of for calling Cruz is that Baez expects her to repudiate what she told the police and testify, instead, George told her [for example] he found Caylee's body in the pool and it really was an accident. But if that's it, Baez is taking a huge risk. Whether Cruz lied to the police, or she's willing to lie to save Casey [or get back at George], how can Baez trust her when she says how she'll testify at trial? [After all, the reason we admit prior inconsistent statements is that it proves the witness is not trustworthy.] And, even if she testifies as she said she would, her prior inconsistent statements to the police [together with all the other stuff the prosecution has on her] will be admissible to impeach her, so little would have been gained.

Makes no sense to me.

Could one of our awesome experts please explain what HHJBP could have meant today when he talked about "burden shifting".

Thanking you in advance:great:

It's so nice to have competent lawyers answering our questions. Thank you!

1. What possible remedies could the Florida Bar impose on JB due to his total mismanagement of this defense?

2. If CA wins an appeal based upon incompetent counsel would she remain in prison pending a new trial?

TIA!

1st degree, LWOP

I have come to realize that the defense is not able to come up with any expert capable of countering or even diminishing the state's evidence & I think that evidence is compelling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back