LeRoy Parents Want Answers about Tourette-Like Symptoms of 12 Female Students

Wfgodot's link on post #33 says "12 cheerleaders." Not sure if that is accurate reporting or not, since the article itself does not specify that all 12 affected are cheerleaders, but two of them are close friends. If they are all cheerleaders or part of the same social group, that really makes me think they are either getting each other freaked out or are possibly faking.

I just find it hard to believe it is something only those 12 are exposed to or some kind of environmental toxin that would affect only them. Maybe I am just too mean and cynical... :innocent:

Mass hysteria in this day and age makes me balk-- there are just so many things bombarding our lives, brains, nervous systems, not to be certain it's one of them is negligent, imo.

If it's only the cheerleaders, personally, I'd look straight to the manufacturing of their uniforms and pompoms-- I'd check the chemical composition of the finished product, how they are laundered, if they were laundered before being worn, how they were stored at the manufacturer (ruling out any contamination from rodent urine/feces, for instance). As the girls are athletes, it seems possible the unis could leach into their systems if contaminated (contact absorption). I'd check the paint/dye of any hand held item-- pompoms for example. We all know how toxic some of the cheap jewelry and toys from China can be (lead, cadmium), I don't think these girls' choice of jewelry or hair ornaments (from Claire's, for instance) would be any different. (I can immediately add bejeweling their cell phones to the list of things to check.) jmo

Whatever it is, I hope the symptoms clear up for all of them...

The school released this air quality and mold report.

http://www.leroycsd.org/news.cfm?story=89264&school=0

Neurologist treating 11 of the girls speaks, calling it conversion disorder.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...illness-revealed-1-parent-expresses-disbelief

I would be interested to know what tests they did on the girls. I'm pretty sure they can test for lead levels. Not sure about cadmium or other elements.

They may not all be cheerleaders; it's hard to tell from the reporting. The quality of reporting has really gone downhill, or maybe I just notice it more as I get older and meaner.

I really believe that this is mass hysteria or conversion hysteria. This does not mean they are faking it, it is very real to them
Occam's Razor

Conversion disorder, what would be the psychological/personality factors that would lead up to that? Would you find those are common in cheerleaders?

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/Doctor-for-LeROY-Students-Explains-Rare-Illness-137641568.html

This was an updated report on our news last night. I'm not sure the report of them all being cheerleaders is accurate, that has not been reported on the news. I'm glad this went national as Leroy is a small town. For 12 girls to come down with the same symptoms is beyond odd. Hopefully by bringing it national they will find their answers as most people here don't buy the explanation. Just too much of a coincidence!

From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001950/

Says conversion disorder is more likely to happen after a stressful experience and also more likely if the person already has another mental problem such as a personality disorder. It is real in the sense that the person is not making it up and not purposely faking.

Says one of the signs is a debilitating symptom that occurs suddenly. I believe one of the girls said she was fine, took a nap, and when she woke up she had the symptoms.

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health...abeled-conversion-disorder/52653342/1?csp=ylf

"Clinical psychologist Nancy Molitor of Wilmette, Ill., who treats adolescents, says the disorder tends to occur in 'close-knit communities where everybody knows everybody. I would want to know about what's going on in the community culturally and religiously and socially.

"'Teenage girls are very susceptible to drama and each other's moods,' she adds."

Interesting article that mentions some other cases that are believed to have been caused by mass psychogenic hysteria: http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2012/01...ass-psychogenic-illness/?mod=google_news_blog

I could certainly believe a group of people could get each other worked up this way. Look what happens in mobs when people get all riled up and start pushing down doors and stomping over each other.

This is very bizarre. But I really don't buy the mass hysteria thing. If my child were diagnosed with that in this situation, I would be beyond pizzed.

Conversion disorder, what would be the psychological/personality factors that would lead up to that? Would you find those are common in cheerleaders?

empathic and compassionate and care for one another deeply. That's about it. It happens on a subconscious level.

You can see it in some men who experience very real pregnancy symptoms when their partner is pregnant.

The school says it's not vaccine related. Although of course they wouldn't explain what it is related to.

This may not be received by some but my grandson regressed into severe autism after his last round of shots at 23 months. Tens of thousands of parents saw this happen to their child. The automatic knee jerk response by medical professionals is that is not, cannot be, and absolutely isn't a vaccine or vaccines that caused it.

I am thinking along the lines of conversion disorder, which is another name for Hysteria.
However, without seeing these girls my feelings on the matter are worthless.
A lot of parents will not want their child to have a psychiatric diagnosis

I put no faith in a disorder of this name. It was invented by medical professionals, most likely when they didn't know what something was or the cause it, as in this situation. You will never convince me that blindness and paralysis can be psychosomatic. I do believe the medical profession is self preserving and do coverup truth from the public. It is usually many years before they will admit something has caused harm.

I put no faith in a disorder of this name. It was invented by medical professionals, most likely when they didn't know what something was or the cause it, as in this situation. You will never convince me that blindness and paralysis can be psychosomatic. I do believe the medical profession is self preserving and do coverup truth from the public. It is usually many years before they will admit something has caused harm.
Why would the medical profession choose to cover something like this up? What could they possibly hope to gain?

Call it conversion disorder, call it hysteria (which I really do think has a bad history of being misused against women), whatever, but anyone who has ever been at the mercy of a crowd knows that crowd/mob/group behavior can and does take on a will of it's own. Think of historical situations like the crowds at the guillotines during the French Revolution; a couple like Bernardo and Homolka, or other serial killer pairs, where one party's past would give no indication of turning into a murderer/criminal without the pairing up with the other; mobs at the stores on black Friday... So many examples of this type of phenomenon on both large and small scales. People's behavior changing in groups.

Long ago I found myself in a crowd outside a rock concert venue - the doors weren't opening quick enough for some, and the temperature with windchill was well below zero. After a certain point, you could almost SEE a change sweep through the crowd. It started at the back, and moved forward up to the doors. In seconds I and my group found ourselves being squeezed tightly. People were falling down and couldn't get up, and almost a panic set in. Thank god no one was trampled, as they finally began opening all the doors, but I will never forget how you could practically SEE the change in behavior go through the crowd, spreading from back to front, everyone suddenly becoming impatient and rowdy and angry. Extremely scary.

I'm not saying there couldn't be a physical explanation for whatever is happening to these young women, but I'm also saying that mob/groupthink type behavior is very real, and I have no doubt that if that's what this is, then they aren't faking it, but it's a real psychological happening that is simply manifesting itself physically. I'm not sure why anyone would doubt that that can happen? :confused:

There were a couple of the girls on Dr. Drew last night. The one girl went into seizures about mid way through the show. The other girl saw this, and the more upset she got the more her symptoms progressed. I don't believe that it is all conversion disorder, but I do believe that it is some of the cause.

What do doctors and medical professions have to hide? Its not that they have anything to hide, but they can't let on to the public that they don;t have a legitimate cause for this, so rather then admit that they have nothing, they blame it on conversion disorder. At least they have a name for it, and can't be blamed for being stumped.

Call it conversion disorder, call it hysteria (which I really do think has a bad history of being misused against women), whatever, but anyone who has ever been at the mercy of a crowd knows that crowd/mob/group behavior can and does take on a will of it's own. Think of historical situations like the crowds at the guillotines during the French Revolution; a couple like Bernardo and Homolka, or other serial killer pairs, where one party's past would give no indication of turning into a murderer/criminal without the pairing up with the other; mobs at the stores on black Friday... So many examples of this type of phenomenon on both large and small scales. People's behavior changing in groups.

Long ago I found myself in a crowd outside a rock concert venue - the doors weren't opening quick enough for some, and the temperature with windchill was well below zero. After a certain point, you could almost SEE a change sweep through the crowd. It started at the back, and moved forward up to the doors. In seconds I and my group found ourselves being squeezed tightly. People were falling down and couldn't get up, and almost a panic set in. Thank god no one was trampled, as they finally began opening all the doors, but I will never forget how you could practically SEE the change in behavior go through the crowd, spreading from back to front, everyone suddenly becoming impatient and rowdy and angry. Extremely scary.

I'm not saying there couldn't be a physical explanation for whatever is happening to these young women, but I'm also saying that mob/groupthink type behavior is very real, and I have no doubt that if that's what this is, then they aren't faking it, but it's a real psychological happening that is simply manifesting itself physically. I'm not sure why anyone would doubt that that can happen? :confused:

In this day and age I seriously doubt it. These symptoms have spanned nine months, these girls are from individual family units, their life experiences are not identical-- lots of other emotional, physical, and environmental situations involve them individually. There are things that overlap, but imo, a Dr. labeling a young girl "hysterical" means he doesn't know what the heck is going on. Women's history is rife with this diagnosis.

Actually, when I insisted I have an MRI to test for MS the neurologist only relented to rule out hysteria. :furious: Unfortunately for me, he ate crow the following week.

I saw two of the girls on Dr Drew last night. Very interesting show.I do not believe either of the girls were faking their symptoms. But I do not know what to make of the whole thing. When they started the next segment where the shrink began talking about "conversion', both the girls got very agitated, and one had a seizure. So it is stress related on some level. imo

Teens suffer from mystery illness
snip-
Two of the girls suffering from the mystery illness, Thera Sanchez and Lydia Parker, appeared on "Dr. Drew" Friday night to talk about their condition.
"I`m not good - not today … my tics got worse,” Sanchez stated at the beginning of the interview.
Her mother, Melisa Philips added, “She also now has daily blackouts and seizures … not like epilepsy seizures, but where she’s somewhat lucid and can feel her body being rigid and it`s almost like she’s a stone statue. And she can’t move and she’s very weak and tired, and so, it just continually seems to get new symptoms.”
Philips added that all the girls had been treated individually with physicians assuming that it stress/anxiety induced or from "conversion disorder."
Psychiatrist Dr. John Sharp, MD, told Dr. Drew that he has examined groups of women in the past that were high-stakes card dealers who have had conversion reactions.
“Simply put, a conversion disorder is a condition when a person converts psychic distress,” he said. “This is going to be hard to understand, but not necessarily consciously felt. The brain converts it from one thing into another - into something physical. And you can have tingling. You can have lack of ability. You can have tics - feel numb or go hoarse or go blind. And, it’s not faking it.”
video at link-
http://drdrew.blogs.cnn.com/
http://cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2012/01/21/exp-drew-mystery-ilness-hln.cnn

Haven't read through here so forgive me if this has already been said.
What about energy drinks? I personally don't think there good for people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back