LeRoy Parents Want Answers about Tourette-Like Symptoms of 12 Female Students

I think it probably is conversion disorder. Both girls said they suddenly got their symptoms after waking up from a nap and the banner says 12 girls woke up with symptoms. If everybody's symptoms suddenly started when waking up it seems too coincidental for environmental toxins and vaccines and drinks and toxic food, heavy metal exposure etc. If it was something like that I don't understand why everybody would get the first symptoms immediately after sleeping.

In this day and age I seriously doubt it. These symptoms have spanned nine months, these girls are from individual family units, their life experiences are not identical-- lots of other emotional, physical, and environmental situations involve them individually. There are things that overlap, but imo, a Dr. labeling a young girl "hysterical" means he doesn't know what the heck is going on. Women's history is rife with this diagnosis.

Actually, when I insisted I have an MRI to test for MS the neurologist only relented to rule out hysteria. :furious: Unfortunately for me, he ate crow the following week.

You doubt that in this day and age that groups of people in crowds or small groups can experience changes in behavior? Really? When all we have to do is open the paper, or look on YouTube to see a mob of kids cheering on a fight and participating in it? Or again, look at the behavior of shoppers on big sale days?

I think the mind is a fascinating and complex thing that affects behavior in ways that we can often only begin to understand. It makes complete sense to me that being influenced by a group or crowd can and does change behavior. And that the mind can make symptoms physically manifest.

I share your anger at the "hysteria" label, and it's history of being applied to women who didn't conform to the rigid standards for females...and I'm sure it still does get applied in such a way, as the personal example you gave shows. But conversion disorder can happen to both sexes, and we certainly see group-influenced behavior happening amongst both men and women. So whatever we call it, it certainly exists today, and it's still a good possibility of what is happening in this case.

Thanks for the link snowdaze.

I hope it is PANDAS and can be treated with Zpac. That would be great!

http://www.wgrz.com/comments/151637/13/Parent-Disagrees-With-LeRoy-Illness-Diagnosis

Here's another link I missed from a report last Friday. The father mentioned that some of the girls don't even know each other. I found some of the comments posted quite interesting though. Good that they are seeking another opinion. When I heard the majority were going to the same clinic and doctor the first thing I thought was that probably wasn't a good idea.

I'm wondering if these girls are deficient in magnesium. I've been reading up on that lately because I have had some of the same symptoms. Maybe more green, leafy veggies would do the trick? I know this sounds simple - sometimes things can be simple.

anxious to see if Erin uncovers anything. It didn't say if the initial girls ate at the restaurant as well....at least I don't think it did.

anxious to see if Erin uncovers anything. It didn't say if the initial girls ate at the restaurant as well....at least I don't think it did.

No, there was no report of these other girls and this restaurant. Hopefully, these doctors will further investigate that. In the meantime it was just on the news that there are now 14 girls and 1 boy diagnosed from Leroy High school, now 15 total. This isn't including the other 2 by Albany. This is growing! They said more later on the 5pm news.

You doubt that in this day and age that groups of people in crowds or small groups can experience changes in behavior? Really? When all we have to do is open the paper, or look on YouTube to see a mob of kids cheering on a fight and participating in it? Or again, look at the behavior of shoppers on big sale days?

I think the mind is a fascinating and complex thing that affects behavior in ways that we can often only begin to understand. It makes complete sense to me that being influenced by a group or crowd can and does change behavior. And that the mind can make symptoms physically manifest.

I share your anger at the "hysteria" label, and it's history of being applied to women who didn't conform to the rigid standards for females...and I'm sure it still does get applied in such a way, as the personal example you gave shows. But conversion disorder can happen to both sexes, and we certainly see group-influenced behavior happening amongst both men and women. So whatever we call it, it certainly exists today, and it's still a good possibility of what is happening in this case.

No, I don't doubt it could happen in large crowds etc., what I doubt is that these girls are "close" enough, as cheerleaders, to succumb constantly for nine months to a mass hysteria. jmo

Ok, what toxic substance would be so bad, and so fast-acting that the two new girls would exhibit symptoms after just one visit to LeRoy last summer? Usually when we hear of toxic environmental conditions, the effects don't happen from being exposed once, or for a short time, doesn't it usually take a whole for exposure and then for symptoms to develop? Am i imagining things, or doesnt it usually take a period of exposure for signs and symptoms to show up?

And yet, there aren't other large groups of residents exhibiting symptoms, either.. :waitasec:

Really strange. I do hope they are thorough with the testing, and eliminate the possibility of some kind of contaminant. I definitely am more suspicious of a physical cause after reading about the derailment.

Dr Drew is doing this subject again. I think he is doing a good, objective job.

One of the girls is using a wheelchair now, because her legs are weak and tingling like they are asleep/

That fascinates me, because that is a symptom often felt when somebody is dealing with intense emotional turmoil. When I was first dealing with my pain surrounding childhood incest and abuse, I was put into a support group for other victims. I had never told anyone what really happened before, and had kept it pretty disconnected from my own psyche as well. One of the first times I tried to discuss it, I felt so ashamed and sick. I began to feel nauseous, and my hands began tingling and turned into claws, [ kind of like FCA's fisties, sadly]

Then my feet began to feel 'dead' too. It was like burning sensation and numbness, and I had no control over them. They made me lie in a fetal position and meditate on something peaceful.

Watching Dr. Drew right now on this subject. I saw his show last week when he covered the same topic. I haven't read the entire thread, but wanted to ask - is this an all girls school these girls are attending? The reason I'm asking is because I haven't read that any boys are affected by this.

I read the whole thread, and I just don't know what to think. It's strange to me that it's only affecting girls of a certain age. Why isn't this affecting any adults (teachers and other staff) at the school? Or any males? What's going on? Interesting case. I hope the girls get better.

I read the whole thread, and I just don't know what to think. It's strange to me that it's only affecting girls of a certain age. Why isn't this affecting any adults (teachers and other staff) at the school? Or any males? What's going on? Interesting case. I hope the girls get better.

Exactly, good question. I think it is because of the intense emotional stress girls feel in school these days.

Post #74 link-a boy was now also diagnosed this past weekend. No, this is a public high school, not all girls.

I missed Dr. Drew but I saw the show last week. I'm not convinced of the train derailment chemicals, so long ago and they all show up with these symptoms now? This is beyond strange.

I'm local to the Dent Clinic and have been treated there myself. I will say it is considered a top of the line neurology clinic. The doctors there have said that the parents and media attention may be hindering the treatment as diversion disorder they were diagnosed with is caused by stress. I really don't know what to think anymore. It's a shame these kids are suffering like this for so long though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back