Likely been posted 10,000 times - where do I start??

MissedMyCalling0216

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!! So excited to be here!!

I have replied a couple of times already with regard to the number of ads and navigating them already, but overall curious where I go from here? I just watched the most amazing documentary on Discovery+ that raved about and gave a lot of credit to this site. As someone who watches ID for entertainment (not in a sick way), I feel I missed a calling in life (although also long before that). Instead I am an Accountant who knows some people that have far more experience in this than I do and we all just want to help; however, 90% clueless on how message boards work and where to start (also, how to focus with all of the ads?). Any guidance and assistance, even a hello from others would help. Like I said, just happy to be here!

I have replied a couple of times already with regard to the number of ads and navigating them already, but overall curious where I go from here? I just watched the most amazing documentary on Discovery+ that raved about and gave a lot of credit to this site. As someone who watches ID for entertainment (not in a sick way), I feel I missed a calling in life (although also long before that). Instead I am an Accountant who knows some people that have far more experience in this than I do and we all just want to help; however, 90% clueless on how message boards work and where to start (also, how to focus with all of the ads?). Any guidance and assistance, even a hello from others would help. Like I said, just happy to be here!
Hello. This is a great site! I just read everything on here for a while after I joined...I couldn't get the nerve to post, ever! I finally did, tho. (Sometimes I still don't get it right, lol) It just takes practice..

Hello. This is a great site! I just read everything on here for a while after I joined...I couldn't get the nerve to post, ever! I finally did, tho. (Sometimes I still don't get it right, lol) It just takes practice..
Hi @PawneeDew ! I get that, entirely, I am just outgoing by nature so inherently eager... I have been posting here and there where I feel I can contribute, but otherwise watching as well.

So not method to the madness then - just roll with it? No problem with that! Nice to meet you and thank you so much for replying! :)

Hi @PawneeDew ! I get that, entirely, I am just outgoing by nature so inherently eager... I have been posting here and there where I feel I can contribute, but otherwise watching as well.

So not method to the madness then - just roll with it? No problem with that! Nice to meet you and thank you so much for replying! :)
Likewise

Hi there, and welcome to Websleuths!

I personally recommend exploring the forums and seeing if any capture your interest, such as the Missing and not forgotten subforums or the Unidentified subforums for Jane and John Does. I think the best way is to dig in and just get your feet wet, learn about different cases from different parts of the US or the world and immerse yourself in it.

Welcome!

Some people have geographical areas that they know, wither places they've lived or visited. I lived in New Canaan, Connecticut as a child and follow the Jennifer Dulos case. My family is rooted in New Mexico, and I follow cases there as well.

Some people are interested in unidentified remains, or missing people.

Have you considered forensic accounting? Money is a factor in many crimes. Posters in the Jennifer DUlos threads would love for a diligent forensic accountant to sort through Fotis Dulos company, and his monetary relationships, and figure out what he did with his wife's trust & his father-in-law's money -- and his children's inheritance.

Just My Humble Opinion, Your Mileage May Vary, Lather Rinse Repeat

Welcome! When I came to WS it was because of a case that was local to me and just jumped right in. Most of us are speculating and all in the same boat. It's a great site and the members are varied from all walks of life. Just remember to know the rules! Especially backing up posts with links to where the info came from unless it's just your opinion (jmo), which you'll want to identify. Post away!

Welcome!

Some people have geographical areas that they know, wither places they've lived or visited. I lived in New Canaan, Connecticut as a child and follow the Jennifer Dulos case. My family is rooted in New Mexico, and I follow cases there as well.

Some people are interested in unidentified remains, or missing people.

Have you considered forensic accounting? Money is a factor in many crimes. Posters in the Jennifer DUlos threads would love for a diligent forensic accountant to sort through Fotis Dulos company, and his monetary relationships, and figure out what he did with his wife's trust & his father-in-law's money -- and his children's inheritance.

Just My Humble Opinion, Your Mileage May Vary, Lather Rinse Repeat
Thank you for your reply! That sounds so interesting and a great idea! Definitely a good way to use my skills - just not sure what I would be able to pull up - but totally worth a shot!

Try as I might, I just don't understand how this site is structured at ALL. Is there a video tutorial that breaks it down? Feeling dumb RN.

Hi @ATXlawyer. You’re not dumb…you’re just new. :) To my knowledge, there isn’t a video tutorial. The home page shows the structure with the various forums, but that doesn’t help you get involved. I find that clicking on “What’s New” at the top of this page and perusing the threads (cases) members are currently posting on is a good way to learn. I don’t specialize in any particular type of case, but just check out what looks interesting. I live in Oregon, so I will take a look at Oregon cases and I started posting on a local case when I first came here. But now I’m pretty eclectic.

When you find a thread that interests you, click “Watch” at the top of the thread and it will go into your “Watched Threads” list so it’s easy to find again and check on. If you post on a thread it automatically goes into “Watched Threads” so, for example, this thread will show up on my list now that I’ve posted. Since you’ve posted here, check your “Watched Threads” and you’ll see this thread on your list.

This “Forum Finess” thread consists of answers to questions members have about using the site. It mentions having tutorials.

Become familiar with ”The Rules”!

Here’s a list of “Lingo”/abbreviations you’ll encounter on threads. You will need this!

And last, but not least, since it appears that you are an attorney, I would suggest that you go through the verification process, so that when you post as an attorney we know you actually are one. We have a number of attorneys here who are invaluable on various threads.

Hope this helps or HTH in lingo. :) And welcome aboard!

Hi @ATXlawyer. You’re not dumb…you’re just new. :) To my knowledge, there isn’t a video tutorial. The home page shows the structure with the various forums, but that doesn’t help you get involved. I find that clicking on “What’s New” at the top of this page and perusing the threads (cases) members are currently posting on is a good way to learn. I don’t specialize in any particular type of case, but just check out what looks interesting. I live in Oregon, so I will take a look at Oregon cases and I started posting on a local case when I first came here. But now I’m pretty eclectic.

When you find a thread that interests you, click “Watch” at the top of the thread and it will go into your “Watched Threads” list so it’s easy to find again and check on. If you post on a thread it automatically goes into “Watched Threads” so, for example, this thread will show up on my list now that I’ve posted. Since you’ve posted here, check your “Watched Threads” and you’ll see this thread on your list.

This “Forum Finess” thread consists of answers to questions members have about using the site. It mentions having tutorials.

Become familiar with ”The Rules”!

Here’s a list of “Lingo”/abbreviations you’ll encounter on threads. You will need this!

And last, but not least, since it appears that you are an attorney, I would suggest that you go through the verification process, so that when you post as an attorney we know you actually are one. We have a number of attorneys here who are invaluable on various threads.

Hope this helps or HTH in lingo. :) And welcome aboard!
Many thanks from a Newbie!

Hello! I joined today after searching for discussion on the case of Lucy Letby. I'm a retired nurse from the UK. I hope to discover more about this case and many others, I'm always fascinated by how people's minds work!

Hello! I joined today after searching for discussion on the case of Lucy Letby. I'm a retired nurse from the UK. I hope to discover more about this case and many others, I'm always fascinated by how people's minds work!
Welcome! You can find plenty of information on the Letby case and many, many others. I probably just read for a month or two before posting. And I am not a huge poster now but I read a lot on this site. Whenever there is a crime I am interested in finding out about, websleuths is my go-to!

I joined yesterday and am so winging it. I’m not all that tech savvy and that’s an understatement. So far, I’m trying to mind my Ps and Qs, not violate any rules, and catch on to some shorthand. MOO, for instance. I’m hoping that means “my opinion only.” Just as ignorance of the law is not a defense for breaking the law, ignorance of the WS rules is not an excuse for breaking the rules. My challenge will be applying the rules and executing the process that ensures obeyance.

I joined yesterday and am so winging it. I’m not all that tech savvy and that’s an understatement. So far, I’m trying to mind my Ps and Qs, not violate any rules, and catch on to some shorthand. MOO, for instance. I’m hoping that means “my opinion only.” Just as ignorance of the law is not a defense for breaking the law, ignorance of the WS rules is not an excuse for breaking the rules. My challenge will be applying the rules and executing the process that ensures obeyance.
BBM

BBM

Oh cool a WS lingo page. Thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member