Lisa Stebic-Plainfield, IL mother of 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, thats exactly what i mean. i would *think* (and its not like ive ever been divorced, so i *really* dont know) that if she wanted to end the marriage after 14 years just because she "didnt want to be married anymore" he would be trying to convince her to work it out, and then when that didnt work.....there would be fighting. especially if there were custody issues, right? or am i way off?

Yeah, he tried so hard to talk her into staying into the relationship that HE filed the divorce papers.:rolleyes:

JMHO
fran

Thanks, Chico! You too, Betsy!

Welcome to Websleuths, Shannon! About the questions you posted --- I'd always heard it reported that when Lisa disappeared, she had her 'purse' and her 'cellphone'. I have also questioned how CS could/would know she took those 2 items, if he didn't see her leave. And, why no clothing / jewelry description, as to what she was wearing when he last saw her) ever given by him?

In all fairness to Craig, since the car Lisa drove (Saturn Ion) was in Craig's name, there's a good chance he retained keys to the car. The first time he spoke to police about her being missing, there's always the possibility that he may have already checked around the house and car to see if her purse and cell phone were left there or with her.

As to why no clothing or jewelry description is what I'm still wanting to know.

Liz..............??????????????......................is the car in just Craig's name?

That is an important point, if so and also a similarity of the Peterson case. Laci's car was just in Scott's name. That's why when the detective accidentally tapped it with the door of SP's truck, SP took a glove or rag or whatever and put it in between, so his property wasn't damaged.

IF the car is in just his name, that shows his possessiveness, ie SP..........a sign there was abuse and intimidation in the relationship. Which we know there was no matter how many times Craig denies it.

JMHO
fran

Liz is the one who posted "Besides, the children spent a lot of time over the weekend with Lisa's family." Closeobserver ask Liz this "
Do you know that the children spent time over the weekend at Lisa's family? As far as I know, he is not letting them leave."

Windchime:
There are a ton of articles in the Yahoo News about this case. I saw one article that said that the aunts have been allowed time with the children, but I believe at their home (and, imho, maybe supervised to control the direction of the conversation).

From another article that I read, the daughters traveled out of town to be with their parents for Mother's Day. I also saw where the cousin, Greenberg and her husband (who's an attorney, btw) participated in searches for Lisa while Craig remained secluded in his home, shielding his children from the media and goings on of the search for the mom. He did not participate in the searches.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/news/387119,6_1_NA16_MISSING_S2.article

another link showing HIS family support

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/news/379640,6_1_NA10_MISSING_S1.article

He and other relatives say there's no way the loyal father could ever bring harm to his wife.
Michelle Stebic, married to Curt Stebic, Craig's first cousin, lives in Crystal Falls, Mich. - only miles away from Joe's cabin. While Lisa and Craig might not have been "lovey dovey," she said the couple seemed to be doing OK.

"I don't see any of the Stebics as being violent," she said. "They all yell, they get loud, and they let you know what they think, but that's it."

IMHO, it's the highlighted part that's important in this article. This is the side that, imo, caused Lisa to file the order to get him out of the house.

JMHO
fran

Snippets from article dated 5/16/07, Police: 'We are always sensitive to the children'

After they spent the weekend with relatives, the children of a missing Plainfield woman were back home Monday night when police searched the family's house around midnight.

Lisa Stebic, mother of 12-year-old Lexi and 10-year-old Zach, has been missing since April 30.

Two female officers watched over the children in the back of a squad car while authorities searched the home, neighbors said.

Mark Eiting, deputy chief of police for the Plainfield Police Department, said officers made sure the children did not observe the search.

"We are always sensitive to the children," he said.

More:
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/news/387119,6_1_NA16_MISSING_S2.article

------------------------------------------------

Fran: from Nancy Grace Monday night, May 14th

MELANIE GREENBERG, LISA STEBIC`S COUSIN: You know, I don`t know if they know anything more. I do understand that they did see their mom that Monday, April 30th, after school. I last saw Lisa`s daughter on Friday, and the children did spend a lot of time with Lisa`s family this weekend, with Mother`s Day. Because of the massive search on Saturday, it was thought best to get the children out of Plainfield for a while.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0705/14/ng.01.html

Ok, so while we're at it I'll throw in a few more observations. During the vigil Craig attended with his attorney he is shown with his tissue bending over his son and acting very emotional. Same kind of crock during early interviews with his dry tissue and moaning Lisa would never leave her kids etc. Yet the children aren't seen reacting this way, I think they look scared. Why is he acting like that in the first place in front of the kids? To dissolve all hope they'll ever see their mother again? He didn't care that she hadn't come home all night or even noticed.

He stopped communication with the children and LE once they told them what he wanted them to imo. He isn't speaking to media because his lawyer told him not to but since it's in his best interest to deny any knowledge of that eviction petition he'll go against what his lawyer has instructed him to do. Same with the 5 words in 5 months, Lisa's petition contradicts that. I don't usually put a lot of weight into how someone acts under certain conditions but I have to say in this guys case from what I've seen, he stinks to high hell.

Thanks Liz, I am glad to see that Lisa's family want the children. That was my hope after seeing the sisters and cousins in the media.

You're welcome, strach!

Yes Fran, it was in at least one of Wednesday's news articles that both vehicles were registered in Craig Stebic's name.

Here's one quote and the source ---

Police on Tuesday impounded Craig Stebic's two vehicles, a 2002 Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck and a 2004 Saturn Ion, as part of the search.

I'm curious if you're certain that Craig went to work on Tuesday morning, May 1st? I would love to see that substantiated, as it still remains questionable in my mind.

You posted, "The husband denies that his wife was going to counseling."

From what I heard (via Meghan Kelly, who appeared on The Big Story today) Craig unequivocally denied that he had ever physically abused Lisa. IOW, not necessarily that he has denied she was going to the Guardian Angel; just denied physically abusing her.

Should hear more from her (MK) tomorrow, as she was heading to Plainfield to get more of the story. She spoke with Craig on the phone today and said he'd told her a lot of stuff off the record. For obvious reasons, he would want the above to be on the record.

I do realize that just because he said it, doesn't make it true.

From article dated May 16, 2007:

The day she disappeared, Lisa Stebic mailed a petition to oust her husband from their home while their divorce was pending so she and her
children could "live in peace."

Signed on the last page in neat cursive, Lisa Stebic's petition for temporary eviction of her spouse, Craig, states he was being "unnecessarily relentless, cruel, inconsiderate, domineering and verbally abusive."

His behavior was "jeopardizing the mental well being" of their children, she said.

She felt his verbal abuse was affecting her mental and physical well-being, according to her petition.

More:
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/390002,4_1_JO16_STEBICEVICT_S2.article

Lisa just wanted to be able to LIVE in PEACE WITH her children :(

This guy is as guilty as sin. Either he can't keep his stories straight or the media can't. He previously said that Lisa left home at 4:00 to go exercise. Now it has changed to 5:30? I also heard him state on TV that she usually went to exercise at night and got home around 10:30-11:00 at night.

I wonder if he was aware that she had already sent those papers to her attorney or if she let him know that she planned to have him evicted and that is when everything got out of hand and he killed her. If she told him that I can see him blowing sky high. I doubt there was any way that he was going to allow her to get him kicked out of his own home. If he wanted to leave that would be one thing but not for her to get him kicked out. He killed her.
I'll bet she was dead before he ever sent the kids to the store. I hope they find proof in the trunk of her car.

Bobbiesangel, I don't think the husband has ever claimed she left at any time other than around 6:15 and later revised it to around 6:00 pm.

He claimed to be out working in the yard, and said he didn't see her leave so it would have to have been a guesstimate. :rolleyes:

More from that same article, addresses your question, Bobbiesangel --

Did Craig know about petition?

Because the petition was received after Lisa was reported missing, it was never filed in court, Kahn said.

The law office typed up the petition and gave it to Lisa to sign and return before her disappearance,
he said. He did not know whether Craig Stebic knew
Lisa planned to sign and mail the petition.

"That's the million dollar question," Kahn said.

"It's quite possible he did, it's possible he didn't as well. She did have it at the house."

Craig Stebic's attorney, Dion Davi, said as far as he knew Craig did not know Lisa was mailing the petition.

source

Craig's attorney said he didn't know if Lisa truly had any intention of filing that petition. Yeah, right. She signs it and mails it to her attorney but had no intentions of it being filed with the court. I guess in the land of possibilities ...

I wonder if counseling records from the Guardian Angel will be subpoenaed as they were in Michelle Young's case - I hope so.

Snippet from Nancy Grace transcript - Wednesday, 5/16:

MICHELLE FIORE, WBBM NEWSRADIO: Well, I talked with Glenn Khan (Lisa's atty) just this evening, and he tells me that the situation in the divorce had become tense, tense enough to the fact that the -- to the point to where Lisa was wanting to have her husband removed from the home. She had told her attorney that it didn`t feel comfortable in the house anymore, that he was both verbally abusive to her alone when she was only in the house, and even in front of the children, as well, that he was intimidating to her, and that she thought it would be best for not only herself but also for the sake of the two children that he be removed from the house.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0705/16/ng.01.html

Nancy's special guest was Don Bennett, Plainfield Police Chief

yes, thats exactly what i mean. i would *think* (and its not like ive ever been divorced, so i *really* dont know) that if she wanted to end the marriage after 14 years just because she "didnt want to be married anymore" he would be trying to convince her to work it out, and then when that didnt work.....there would be fighting. especially if there were custody issues, right? or am i way off?

I don't think you are way off at all. I willing to bet you she had MANY specific reasons for "not wanting to be married anymore". He's just saying that because he wants to look like the victim here. I sure wish she had opened up to someone else about those reasons. (Maybe she did and we just don't know it yet.)

I wouldn't doubt that the children know some of what's going on, but not all. Who knows what he's filled their minds with in the meantime.

Can the lawyer that drew up the eviction papers say why she filed them? (Other than the formal legal wording?) Surely Lisa went into detail with that attorney?

Well this is interesting too:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/389727,4_1_JO17_MISSING_S1.article

Lisa Stebic was seeking alimony, but Craig said they could each support themselves, court records say. According to Lisa's petition, Craig earns more than $80,000 per year, while she earns less than $10,000 per year.

Is he for real? Did he actually think he wouldn't have to pay her when he made at least $70,000.00 more than here???

Well this is interesting too:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/389727,4_1_JO17_MISSING_S1.article

Lisa Stebic was seeking alimony, but Craig said they could each support themselves, court records say. According to Lisa's petition, Craig earns more than $80,000 per year, while she earns less than $10,000 per year.

Is he for real? Did he actually think he wouldn't have to pay her when he made at least $70,000.00 more than here???

What an idiot! I wonder if his attorney let him know that no judge is going to agree that a mother with two children can live on what would amount to less than 200.00 a week.

Not to mention that Lisa is entitled to not only Child support, (which would amount to about 400.00 per week based on his 80 thou a year.), and alimony but to a proration (based on the number of years married) of any profit sharing and retirement accounts.

Seems HIS money may have been a motive for him to make her disappear.

I'm closing this thread and starting a part 2 and I've also posted the link so members can refer back to this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd