Lisa Stebic-Plainfield, IL mother of 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
POLICE SAY MISSING PLAINFIELD WOMAN'S HUSBAND IS COOPERATING IN ...
May 9, 2007

PLAINFIELD -- Craig Stebic, whose wife Lisa Stebic has made national headlines since she was reported missing May 1, said he is doing everything he can to cooperate with police investigating her disappearance.

~snip~

Craig Stebic, a pipefitter who has not been to work since his wife's disappearance, had a pile of media business cards lined up on his desk, along with a missing person flier with Lisa's picture on it. He didn't answer knocks on the door or telephone calls.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/376748,4_1_JO09_MISSING_S1.article

==================================

Does anyone besides me think it is a bit odd that (according to the above article) the Stebic children continue to attend school each day, but Craig has not been back to work since Lisa's disappearance?

By most reports, the guy hadn't spoken 5 words to his wife in the last five months, but now is so despondent he is unable to go to work? hmmmmm...

POLICE SAY MISSING PLAINFIELD WOMAN'S HUSBAND IS COOPERATING IN ...
May 9, 2007

PLAINFIELD -- Craig Stebic, whose wife Lisa Stebic has made national headlines since she was reported missing May 1, said he is doing everything he can to cooperate with police investigating her disappearance.

~snip~

Craig Stebic, a pipefitter who has not been to work since his wife's disappearance, had a pile of media business cards lined up on his desk, along with a missing person flier with Lisa's picture on it. He didn't answer knocks on the door or telephone calls.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/news/376748,4_1_JO09_MISSING_S1.article

==================================

Does anyone besides me think it is a bit odd that (according to the above article) the Stebic children continue to attend school each day, but Craig has not been back to work since Lisa's disappearance?
By most reports, the guy hadn't spoken 5 words to his wife in the last five months, but now is so despondent he is unable to go to work? hmmmmm...

I do find it odd that he is sending his children to school. God forbid I am ever in a similar situation, my kids would be kept home from school to avoid the media and because I would know they are upset.

Here in Illinois there is such a law. If you are CONVICTED of a felony you lose your right to own firearms. To take away his right to own a gun simply on the felony charges would be a violation of his constitutional rights. Has anyone read where he was found guilty on those charges? Because if he was not, he can still own a gun.

And here is another sad fact...even if he was convicted, Lisa can still own a gun herself, keep it in her house where he lives and it is legal. (I know of a man who was convicted of murder, and when he was released had his wife buy all the guns he wanted)

So maybe the reason the police have not arrested him is one of two reasons. 1) He was charged but never convicted. or 2.) The gun is registered to Lisa.

BTW- I never will understand why a person NEEDS an AK-47.

I'm trying to keep a opened mind here. You are correct at this time we have no proof at this point as to if he was CONVICTED or NOT on these felony charges. But let's say if he was convicted and you are correct Lisa could legally own these guns even with him living in the home. But IMO if she truly did FEAR him why didn't she remove the guns from the home while he was away at work. It seems to me that she would of removed her guns and placed them in safe keeping with a family member since they would of been her guns not his.Gadget I'm not just directing this post at you I'm just asking in general. I know if I truly felt any fear towards my hubby I would not allow any guns in my home and I'd be getting a divorce.I understand that when a couple is getting a divorce it's best to stay in the home until the judge makes his final ruling in the divorce degree. It seems to me if she truly feared him her attorney could of filed a restraining order and had him removed from the home until the final divorce degree and I know of many cases in where the hubby was removed from the home while going through a divorce and the judge rules that the husband is responsible to make the house payments,pay eletric bills, house insurance, car insurance and etc. I totally agree with you 110% who needs a AK-47. Trust me with what I've heard so far through the media I'm leaning towards the hubby but as I said I'm keeping a opened mind because I know how the media can get things wrong and how they like to point fingers to draw in the ratings.

I'm trying to keep a opened mind here. You are correct at this time we have no proof at this point as to if he was CONVICTED or NOT on these felony charges. But let's say if he was convicted and you are correct Lisa could legally own these guns even with him living in the home. But IMO if she truly did FEAR him why didn't she remove the guns from the home while he was away at work. It seems to me that she would of removed her guns and placed them in safe keeping with a family member since they would of been her guns not his.

I don't know for sure if this is right but a poster at CTV said that even if Craig was found guilty of the gun charges, once his parole expires he can go and pick up his guns from the county lock up. Apparently they have to keep them for him. Anyone here ever heard of this?

I don't know for sure if this is right but a poster at CTV said that even if Craig was found guilty of the gun charges, once his parole expires he can go and pick up his guns from the county lock up. Apparently they have to keep them for him. Anyone here ever heard of this?

NOT in illinois he can't. Once you are a convicted felon you may not own a gun in Illinois.

I'm trying to keep a opened mind here. You are correct at this time we have no proof at this point as to if he was CONVICTED or NOT on these felony charges. But let's say if he was convicted and you are correct Lisa could legally own these guns even with him living in the home. But IMO if she truly did FEAR him why didn't she remove the guns from the home while he was away at work. It seems to me that she would of removed her guns and placed them in safe keeping with a family member since they would of been her guns not his.Gadget I'm not just directing this post at you I'm just asking in general. I know if I truly felt any fear for towards my hubby I would not allow any guns in my home. I totally agree with you 110% who needs a AK-47. Trust me with what I've heard so far through the media I'm leaning towards the hubby but as I said I'm keeping a opened mind because I know how the media can get things wrong and how they like to point fingers to draw in the ratings.

If the gun did belong to Lisa, maybe she was so afraid that she felt that she needed it for protection. Not such a wise move, but it would not be the first time a victim of DV bought a gun.

I too am trying to keep an open mind, but it really is not looking good for her hubby. The local news had a trailer that said he filed some sort of motion in court today. So I am trying to find out what that is all about.

At least the kids are able to talk with social workers while they are at school. They may have information that doesn't seem strange to them but in reality is a valuable clue for LE. I know that my kids the same ages could give LE plenty of info about goings on in our home if I were missing! It is rare that my husband and I get to have an un-interrupted conversation, much less a disagreement, without one of them piping in with a question or offering their own opinion. Those little darlin's can be very annoying sometimes!

By the way...note to Mr. Stebic:

Your lawyer works for you! You can take a poly if you want- doesn't matter if he/she likes it or not. I'm thinking the lawyer could have you take a "practice poly" if he thought you could pass it. You're the boss, buddy. Do the right thing!

Susan

There's someone posting over on CourtTV who claims to have been friends with Lisa and known the couple.....The story on the guns was he was an avid hunter/outdoorsman, and Lisa was cool with it.

My thoughts exactly, TGI, regarding the kids going to school and the lawyer. I just hope a certain someone isn't reading here and decides the kids are now too traumatized to continue to attend school.

Regarding firearms in the home --- regardless of Illinois law, there are FEDERAL laws prohibiting any firearm in the home of a convicted felon (or even convicted of any crime punishable by more than one year in prison), regardless of whose name they were in. That tells me that most likely Mr. Stebic was not convicted of a felony (or of any crime for which he could be sentenced to more than one year in prison). Either that OR he was in violation of Federal Firearms Regulations, which I highly doubt or he would have been arrested when LE went into the home, and found firearms to be present. (Unless they are like Keystone Cops!)

Liz as gidget pointed out to me if the husband was convicted of those charges his wife Lisa had every right to own guns it's just the husband who wouldn't be allowed to own any. Gidget again I agree with you if there was only one gun I can understand her maybe wanting to keep it for her own protection. This filing of motion does seem to be a Unusual Legal Action the children's mother is missing the last thing I'd be worried about is filing for custody. I could understand if another family member had filed a petition with the court for custody but at this time they haven't so why file? My hinky meter is leaning me towards the father having something to do with Lisa missing but I'll continue keeping a open mind.

Liz as gidget pointed out to me if the husband was convicted of those charges his wife Lisa had every right to own guns it's just the husband who wouldn't be allowed to own any.

Windchime, I agree. In that case she would have every right to own firearms and keep them at their home, as long as she didn't mind risking sending her husband to prison because of it. Unless her firearms were kept outside of their home, he would be subject to being arrested for violation of a Federal Firearm laws.

I'll check later and see if I can find something on it, but it is just the way the federal law is written.

Liz thank you for your reply I had no ideal that she would be risking her husband going to jail if the gun's were registered to her with any Federal laws. Thank you for searching for that information. It is confusing to me I guess. LOL

Well, I heard on Nancy Grace tonight that the husband is refusing to take a lie detector test.

Transcript from segment tonight:
Very quickly, we are going to Chicago. A young mom disappears. Take a listen.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: This is Plainfield`s first missing persons case in more than a decade. The state police and FBI are assisting in the search. Right now there`s little to go on. Her car was left at home, and Stebic`s estranged husband, who still lived with her, told police that Lisa allegedly left around 6:00 Monday night to go to the high school fitness center.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It was Monday. She left home here, supposedly to go work out. And as far as I know, somebody picked her up, and, come Tuesday morning to go to work, she wasn`t here. And none of her friends have seen her.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Joining us tonight in the mystery surrounding the missing mom, Michele Fiore with WBBM News Radio 780. What happened?

MICHELE FIORE, REPORTER, WBBM: Well, the latest information I have for you, Nancy, is that I did speak to Plainfield police this afternoon, and they tell me that tips are now coming into their department. And that is significant, because over the weekend, when I first met with the deputy police chief, he told me they had nothing at that point. They were desperate for leads. And now they`re finally coming into the station. He says any lead, even saying one that may seem insignificant to people, can be just the tip that they`re looking for, and that can help bring Lisa Stebic home to her family.

GRACE: Jean, what were the circumstances of her disappearance?

JEAN CASAREZ, COURT TV: Well, it was April 30th was the last time that she was seen. And she works at a school cafeteria, so she reported for work that day. They saw her. Her husband is the last one that says he saw her late in the afternoon on April 30th.

He said that she normally would leave in the evening to go do exercise. She`d come back 10:30 or 11:00. She was never seen again. Her children, though, her two children have the same story that the father has, that the last time that they saw their mother was late that afternoon.

GRACE: So to you, Michele Fiore, with 780 WBBM News Radio, both children who were allegedly out buying some candy, the father says he was working in the yard when she went jogging, or to work out, they back up the dad`s claim he saw her at 6:00 p.m.?

FIORE: We have not spoken with the children at this point.

GRACE: I`m sorry, I couldn`t hear you. Repeat?

FIORE: We have not spoken with the children at this point.

GRACE: What can you tell me about the husband refusing a polygraph, Michele Fiore?

FIORE: You know what? Craig Stebic declined to take a polygraph test that was offered to him by the Plainfield Police Department. It was on the advice of his attorney, who is also his divorce attorney in the proceedings that he filed against Lisa Stebic this past January. Police tell us that, besides Craig, other family members and acquaintances of Lisa have also been offered a polygraph test. They would not tell me exactly how many have taken it or if any have taken it at this point.

GRACE: And very quickly, Jean Casarez, is there a reward?

CASAREZ: There is. Her family and friends, $20,000. I think the unusual thing about this case, Nancy, her cell phone, her credit cards, they haven`t been used since that April 30th date.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0705/09/ng.01.html

You're welcome, Windchime. It's not just you ... the laws are confusing. Here is the easiest explanation I found of what I was trying to express:

"However, federal law is much stricter. It generally prohibits a person convicted of a crime "punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" from possessing a firearm. The test is the length of possible punishment, not whether the crime is called a misdemeanor or a felony. No exception is made for having a firearm at the home, no matter how long ago the conviction. 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)."

Source: http://www.burger.com/gunfaq02.htm

I am a convicted felon and when we moved in with my FIL he had to move his guns out of his home or I would be commiting a crime- I would be a felon in possession of a firearm! When the word "possession" is used, it includes things in your home, your car, your purse, etc etc..

Here is a great link.. http://library.findlaw.com/2003/Mar/1/189956.html

"When can I get my gun rights back now that I have finished serving my time?" Hopefully the client has the sense to even ask the question because some individuals rush out to get their weapons the moment their sentence has expired.

The better practice is for attorneys to be sure that clients who are subject to criminal prosecution are aware of firearm limitations. The limitations come in two flavors: state and federal and, as it says in the song, "if the left one don't getcha, then the right one will."

Where a person is under indictment for a felony - even before they are convicted - it is unlawful to acquire firearms.(1) This little-known provision must be impressed on all clients lest they run afoul of serious criminal sanctions for purchasing a shotgun to go duck hunting...."

Although the title and latter part of the link discusses Tennessee law, most of it applies to federal and "state" laws in general.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, OneLostGirl! I appreciate your stating the facts, as you know them.

MICHELE FIORE, REPORTER, WBBM: Well, the latest information I have for you, Nancy, is that I did speak to Plainfield police this afternoon, and they tell me that tips are now coming into their department. And that is significant, because over the weekend, when I first met with the deputy police chief, he told me they had nothing at that point. They were desperate for leads. And now they`re finally coming into the station. He says any lead, even saying one that may seem insignificant to people, can be just the tip that they`re looking for, and that can help bring Lisa Stebic home to her family.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0705/09/ng.01.html

I wonder just who those tips are concerning. Tips on Lisa or tips on Craig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member