Literal hypothetical scenario

Why is there two threads on this for heaven sakes!!

Any way ... to answer your question you asked me on the FIRST thread - Who would be "the powers that be",that would be anyone who is in the postion to nab me for doing this dirty deed.The BPD or Feds etc.

So ... does Whitewolf and I get the prize?

Also,I'm not sure where you're going with your ...
"Here's what I'm getting at" answer.

capps said:
Also,I'm not sure where you're going with your ...
"Here's what I'm getting at" answer.
You're not alone there, capps!

:confused:

If you, as you say, are hypothetically worried about getting caught, why not then write a fake ransom note that:
  1. Tells John not to call the BPD or the Feds
  2. Tells John to spend the next few hours (while you're driving off ASAP) spinning his wheels getting money?
U gotta admit, it works! It introduces a possible purpose for the ransom note.

Holdontoyourhat said:
If you, as you say, are hypothetically worried about getting caught, why not then write a fake ransom note that:
  1. Tells John not to call the BPD or the Feds
  2. Tells John to spend the next few hours (while you're driving off ASAP) spinning your wheels getting money?
U gotta admit, it works! It introduces a possible purpose for the ransom note.
If I understand you, the perp(s) writes a long, long note because he's now "worried about being caught" but which will require him to spend mucho extra time at risk of being caught in the house while simultaneously leaving extra clues and evidence, AND subtracting that time from the getaway! All that when you're only an hour from Denver, the BPD is on mass holiday leave, and the substance of the note itself is what would bring in the FBI?(A murder in the basement is NOT a federal issue. Kidnappings are.)

Without my glasses, my first impression of the tread was that you were seeking a "Liberal" Hypothetical Scenario, and it would be that these good republicans were protecting a gang of right wing government perverts. That was a very interesting thought.

Pardon me if I totally disagree with your post.

In this scenario, the getaway starts when the perp leaves the house. The longer and more misleading the ransom note the better.

Holdontoyourhat said:

In this scenario, the getaway starts when the perp leaves the house. The longer and more misleading the ransom note the better.
Just recall that it was the "finding of the note" itself that started it all. Patsy went to JonBenet's room because of the note. If the Ramseys are in fact innocent, the perp actually accelerated discovery of a crime and also lost time and left evidence with a note. If someone came down for juice 2 minutes after a perp leaving, a crime would have been announced by the note when otherwise it would not be discovered until morning. If there were no note the confirmation of a crime (as opposed to a kid who wandered away in the night) would have been even further delayed.

The note is universally seen as a diversion, but I think the scenario you describe raises issues which, on balance, point away from an intruder. An intruder had very much to lose from the note (including making a federal case out of it). Would a note be more likely to be considered by someone who could just head for the hills or someone who had to stay and try to explain a dead child? Not having the option of a getaway is a scenario which has to be considered.

You, the hypothetical perp, having just killed a 6 year old in her parents' Colorado home, are now leaving the house with enough evidence on you and in your car to get yourself a new hairdo.

You consider your worst case scenario: The parents hear you leave. First one then both parents look for JonBenet and find her in less than 5 minutes. Its still 2 or 3 am. They call the police reporting a child murder, wake the neighbors, and your car is just about the only car on the road.

The point here is that there may be less risk for the perp writing a fake note because it misdirects the parents and police.

Holdontoyourhat said:
Hypothetically, its the middle of the night, you are member of a group of individuals that represent a small foreign faction that does not respect the U.S., and for whatever reason, you just killed a 6 year old in her parents' Colorado home. What is on your mind?

Holdontoyourhat,

Since you are representing a small foreign faction and you just completed the assignment they sent you on, then GETTING CREDIT from the small foreign faction for successfully completing the assignment would be on your mind.

BlueCrab

Lacy Wood said:
Just recall that it was the "finding of the note" itself that started it all. Patsy went to JonBenet's room because of the note. If the Ramseys are in fact innocent, the perp actually accelerated discovery of a crime and also lost time and left evidence with a note. If someone came down for juice 2 minutes after a perp leaving, a crime would have been announced by the note when otherwise it would not be discovered until morning. If there were no note the confirmation of a crime (as opposed to a kid who wandered away in the night) would have been even further delayed.

The note is universally seen as a diversion, but I think the scenario you describe raises issues which, on balance, point away from an intruder. An intruder had very much to lose from the note (including making a federal case out of it). Would a note be more likely to be considered by someone who could just head for the hills or someone who had to stay and try to explain a dead child? Not having the option of a getaway is a scenario which has to be considered.
I have to agree here. This makes alot of sense.

To me the note seems to have delayed the finding of the body. If you simply have a missing child the house would be searched from top to bottom instantly. With a note that says the child has been kidnapped one doesn't assume she is still in the house.

tipper said:
To me the note seems to have delayed the finding of the body. If you simply have a missing child the house would be searched from top to bottom instantly. With a note that says the child has been kidnapped one doesn't assume she is still in the house.
IMO, that's correct. That's the effect the note had. It delayed the finding of JonBenet. Combine that with the "wait for my call or we'll behead her" thing and you have a complete multi-purpose note. Its placement essentially suppressed finding JonBenet, and its content suppressed calling the police.

BlueCrab said:
Holdontoyourhat,

Since you are representing a small foreign faction and you just completed the assignment they sent you on, then GETTING CREDIT from the small foreign faction for successfully completing the assignment would be on your mind.

BlueCrab
You're hypothetically still in the house and you're worried about getting paid?

The Ransom Note may have been a device to cover-up or obscure the state of affairs that ensued after JonBenet's death.

The note refers to beheading not asphyxiation, there is repetition of "she dies", and if instructions are followed a "100% chance of getting her back", but she was dead!

Also she has head and genital injuries none of this is predicted or reflected in the Ransom Note.

So it’s likely the Ransom Note was concocted to explain away another scenario, one, which was later, revised then possibly tweaked as she was placed in the wine cellar.

The person who killed JonBenet may not be the same person who placed her in the wine cellar, or the person who wrote the Ransom Note. These are diversionary tactics not the methods of a foreign professional assassin.

The person who wrote the Ransom Note may be a sociopath guided by reference to theology and scripture. For example the use of cords and bindings, the knotting and vaginal trauma may reflect a desire for sadistic ritual. Also the letters SBTC can be interpreted as (S)aved (B)y (T)he (C)ross, psalm 118 is used charismatically within the Pentecostal movement, all can be utilized to project the Christian sense of Sacrifice. But it does not follow that the composer must have killed JonBenet! Only that this thumbnail psychological profile matches that of the author.

So the Ransom Note refers to another time, another place where JonBenet still lives, the concept of kidnap and bodily removal moves her temporal existence backwards in time and forward into the future only if instructions are followed. There is the deliberate promotion of JonBenet's presence, which is bogus and illusory.

The tone, structure and ambiguous semantics implied within the Ransom Note are patently not the work of a preteen or teen, it has adult persona all over it, and it has one purpose e.g. to mislead and misdirect the reader.

And to this end it has been largely successful!

Holdontoyourhat said:

In this scenario, the getaway starts when the Ramseys call the police and their friends. The ransom note is indeed misleading...

UKGuy said:
The tone, structure and ambiguous semantics implied within the Ransom Note are patently not the work of a preteen or teen, it has adult persona all over it, and it has one purpose e.g. to mislead and misdirect the reader.

And to this end it has been largely successful!

This is the part of your post I agree with. However I don't think the note had only one purpose.

Experts will tell you that for a suspect to be considered, the suspect needs to have the motive, the capability, and the will to carry out the crime.

IMO, the only evident motive in this case is the 'literal motive' found in the ransom note: the perp(s) are mad at the US, mad at John, mad at rich men like John, so mad that killing is easy.

Holdontoyourhat said:
IMO, the only evident motive in this case is the 'literal motive' found in the ransom note: the perp(s) are mad at the US, mad at John, mad at rich men like John, so mad that killing is easy.
I'm not sure how to say it, but you may the founding member of the most exclusive club in the world if you think the note expressed "literal truths."

Lacy Wood said:
I'm not sure how to say it, but you may the founding member of the most exclusive club in the world if you think the note expressed "literal truths."
I believe I said "literal motive," not literal truth. If it is the literal truth, then the perp would be at home among those opposed to the US, and opposed to personal accomplishment i.e. wealth.

Holdontoyourhat said:
I believe I said "literal motive," not literal truth. The truth remains to be seen.
You said "literal motive" to be sure when you quoted the note's words and contents as giving the motive. My words in quotes show my response to using the note as "literal truth". The idea that it would be silly to accept the note as "literal truth" certainly did not come from you. Sorry that wasn't clear to you.

Lacy Wood said:
You said "literal motive" to be sure when you quoted the note's words and contents as giving the motive. My words in quotes show my response to using the note as "literal truth". The idea that it would be silly to accept the note as "literal truth" certainly did not come from you. Sorry that wasn't clear to you.
I never said 'the motive' either. I said 'evident motive.'

Britt said:
Depends on my true motive.

If the motive was money, I would take the hostage with me so I would still be able to collect the ransom.

If the motive was to frame the parents, I would stage a domestic homicide, not a terrorist kidnapping.

If the motive was that I was a nut who wanted to get caught so badly I left a three-page handwriting sample and hung out in the house for several hours, I would use the time and opportunity to leave a whole bunch of physical evidence behind, not wear gloves or clean up after myself.

(There is no "intruder" motive that makes any sense.)

:clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back