Living by the Code

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by believe09, Mar 11, 2013.

1. believe09

believe09 Active Member

This is a beautiful story about the bonds that cross enemy lines in combat.

2. Loading...

3. Nova

Nova Active Member

Um, I'm not doubting the actual story, but I question the telling.

WWII Messerschmitt fighters don't "hover". If the writer means the fighter was maintaining a position next to the bomber's wing, then the two planes were wingtip to wingtip. Most fighters had fixed guns and could not have shot at the bomber from that position. It would have had to maneuver so that it was behind or (less likely) in front of the bomber. (This explains the reference to the tail gunner; his absence would have allowed the fighter freedom of movement behind the bomber.)

This isn't to say the fighter couldn't have gotten the best of the disabled bomber quite easily, just that CNN's reporter did a poor job of imagining the encounter when he or she described it.

4. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

5. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

That's a fabulous article!!! So much to think about and understand.

6. Nova

Nova Active Member

LATER in the article the encounter is better described:

(Emphasis added.) So Stigler withheld his fire and then pulled up to give the pilot a look to let the latter know he had been spared. The article also mentioned that this would have been Stigler's fifth "kill", making him an Ace; perhaps he didn't want such an easy shot to mark that milestone.

7. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

I just came to the thread after reading about The Holocaust. This article is nice to change over to, especially how S could have been killed for not bombing the plane, and made an honorable decision.