Living with violence, Camden, NJ

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Beyond Belief, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

KEY POINTS
    1. Despite a wave of recent shootings, the number of violent crimes in the city has decreased slightly. 2. Membership in the Bloods gang has nearly doubled in the past two years. 3. Police complain they are led by an interim executive, without a police chief to lead the department. 4. Rutgers professor Michael Lang says even though there are still shootings in the city, the city can still attract young people without families who are looking to fix up homes and live in an urban setting.
    Sunday, July 23, 2006

Felder Washington would like his 3-year-old granddaughter, Vaniece, to grow up in a neighborhood that's free of gunfire.

But it may be a while.

"I think it's getting worse, the violence in the city," said Washington, 61, of the Parkside section. "It's depressing."

The city recently experienced what Camden police Capt. Joseph Richardson described as "an uptick" in violent crimes and shootings. Camden is in the fourth year of a state takeover of the city government. Four-billion dollar redevelopment plans have been entangled in court battles. Although the city has received $175 million in special state aid, the rebirth state officials predicted has been slow to materialize
    http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060723/NEWS01/607230349

2. Loading...

3. bykerladi

bykerladi New Member

The only way Camden will get better is if they blow the whole city up and start over. Its not just the police force - its everyone, all the way up to the crooked mayor. New Jersey is corrupt, no doubt about that, but Camden is out in the open about how corrupt they are. New Jersey pours money into Camden like a huge slum pit. The people in that city have NO pride, they don't care about their family, their town, nothing.

Its hard to believe, but when my grandmother, now 79, was younger, she lived in Camden, and it was a hard working, lower middle class blue collar town, where people cared about their homes and their community. People used to scrub the sidewalks and help their neighbors. Now, 50 years later, people are raped in broad daylight on the streets. Children are being shot at and bullets are tearing through walls and killing people inside of their homes.

4. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

My mother age 85 grew up in South Camden. Infact my family was on S. 6th St for over a 100 yrs. I never got to see the neighborhood because it wasn't ever safe enough in my lifetime to go there to see.

5. Sniffy38

Sniffy38 New Member