Looking for long lost uncle in the US

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Information and Support' started by GD_from Holland, Jan 22, 2020.

1. GD_from Holland

GD_from Holland New Member

Hello Websleuth members,

I wonder if you could help me out with something.

I live in the Netherlands. I have been searching for a family member (an uncle) for a long time now and my search on various websites such as FamilySearch.org have resulted in nothing substantial.

I am not very familiar with all the various databases in the USA so I am not sure what to do anymore so I thought I try websleuths.

Just a short background information: my uncle left Iran in 1979. He was in touch with his family in Iran for some time before he suddenly went silent. My family does not know why and what happened to him. They tried contacting him but no luck. They assume he has died, but we are not sure of anything. His sister is ill at the moment (suffering from early dementia) and would absolutely love to know what happened to her brother before it's too late for her. It's a very sad story.

As I live in the Netherlands and speak English I offered my family to help search for him.

I would really appreciate ANY advice you might have for me so that I can hopefully bring some closure to my family.

Thank you so much in advance!

Jaanniss, byo, Laughing and 1 other person like this.

2. doublestop

doublestop Well-Known Member

What do you know about him? What's his name, date of birth, where in the US did he live, etc?

3. GD_from Holland

Hi. Thanks for your message. This is something I found about him (see attached image). His name is Jahanbakhsh Nahavandi. His address in 1996 was 14141 SE 6th St, Bellveue (WA) and from 2000-2002 it was 30 Meadowmere Ave, Mastic, New York USA, Zip Code: 11950-4528. This last address is according to the familysearch.org records. Not sure how accurate it all is.
    His date of birth: 22 January 1960.

Attached Files:

4. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Welcome to Ws GD_from Holland!
    Just happened to spot your post and hoping that others will too- as i am not sure what to do or where to start.
    If you know that he is in the US, or most any other country for that matter, and you think he is deceased and possibly unidentified, there are a number of databases where one can search.
    He could also possibly be listed on a missing person site too..
    A name, age and photo of your Uncle would be a definite help in getting started.

Jaanniss likes this.
  5. Laughing

Laughing Rarely Speechless

Any idea where he arrived, what state he lived in?

Try the US Embassy in the Netherlands:

U.S. Embassy and Consulate in the Netherlands.

Because of your relative's failing health, they may tell you when/if your uncle's passport entered the US, possibly more?

He should have a visa history, refugee resettlement, possibly citizenship?

Please keep us posted!

LotsaLatte and dotr like this.
  6. Laughing

Duplicate thread.

@GD_from Holland , I'm concerned about listing all this information about your uncle in a publci forum!

Reporting my post, let's see how the moderators handle it.

dotr and LotsaLatte like this.
  7. LotsaLatte

LotsaLatte Well-Known Member

Laughing has a good point - I always err on the side of caution with too much information. Having said that, I will try to find some time to see if I can find anything on him :)

byo, dotr and Laughing like this.
  8. GD_from Holland

Hi guys, thanks for your messages. @Laughing: The information I have shared are all on public websites. I haven't shared anything that is not online and publicly available but if you think it's going to be removed then I guess I have to live with that. I totally understand, of course.
    @LotsaLatte thank you so much! I'm new to this site so not sure if we can prive message but feel free to contact me.

LotsaLatte, dotr, Laughing and 3 others like this.
  9. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Embassies would be of any help. What kind of immigration visa did he have? Had he become a US citizen? I am sure there are records of that somewhere...

Jaanniss, dotr, MeadowMuffin and 2 others like this.
  10. CoverMeCagney

CoverMeCagney Well-Known Member

Has he been reported missing in the US? That would be the first step, if he hasn't already. The police there will be able to check out those address records and tap into other systems which will help.

Also, when did the family last hear from him?

Jaanniss, dotr, Laughing and 2 others like this.
  11. doublestop

I found an additional address for him, no date associated with it. There is a discrepancy in the birth date.

Name: Jahan-Bakhsh Nahavandi
    Birth Date: 31 Jan 1960
    Address: 3088 118th Ave SE Apt P202
    Residence Place: Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Zip Code: 98005-8152

dotr, MeadowMuffin and whatsnext like this.
  12. doublestop

One thing to consider in your search is that he may have Americanized his first name to John. I do see there is (or was, in the 1980s) a John Nahavandi in California.

Jaanniss, byo, dotr and 4 others like this.
  13. GD_from Holland

Not sure what kind of visa he had at the time but I am assuming he has a US citizenship.

Jaanniss and dotr like this.
  14. GD_from Holland

Wow, thanks for this insight. Hadn't thought of that. Would he have "officially" changed it to John or on his official records it would be the original name. And thank you so much for the alternative address. I will just send a letter to that address and see how they respond?

15. GD_from Holland

No one from my family has reported him missing. So I'm not sure which police department to approach and whether they will give any information.
    He was last in touch in the 90s I believe.

16. GD_from Holland

Can you perhaps PM me the address you found in California?

17. dalsglen

dalsglen Well-Known Member

When did he last have contact with the family?

18. doublestop

The address I found (the apartment in Bellevue, Washington) was old...there wasn't a date associated with it, but almost surely pre-2000. So it's unlikely he is still there. I didn't find an address for the John Nahavandi in California--I searched a newspaper archive and there were a couple of stories about that person wanting to start a taxi service in the Los Angeles area.

19. Laughing

and apparently we still have 2 threads!

@GD_from Holland, I still think a call to your nearest US Embassy

U.S. Embassy and Consulate in the Netherlands.

is a sound idea. Finding her brother while Sister can still recognize him would certainly be a compassionate action.

Mr. Nahavandi may have become a citizen, there is a date & location for that, or may have a visa, again dates & locations, and may have entered as a refugee, again dates & addresses, as held by the US Federal government -- represented abroad by embassies & consulates.

Best of luck in your search!

dotr and MeadowMuffin like this.
  20. LesWal1

LesWal1 New Member

I don’t know if you’re still looking for your uncle. I’m new to the forum and just saw your posts. I was able to find a court case involving a John Nahavandi involved in a court case in Orange County, California in 2015. I hope this helps.
    30-2014-00716885-CL-PA-CJC John Nahavandi vs. Quoc Dang

katydid23, Jaanniss, Laughing and 4 others like this.