Lowered flags?

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Jeana (DP), Sep 8, 2005.

1. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

I've only seen a handful of flags lowered. Why is that? They're saying there could be about 10,000-12,000 people dead.

2. Loading...

3. cynder

cynder New Member

The flags were lowered for Rehnquist not Katrina. He was buried yesterday so not sure how long the "half-mast" was for. A lot of people didn't do it - it was lost in the Katrina coverage.

4. less0305

less0305 The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember m

there's a Presidential resolution that came out first for Katrina and lasts until September 20th I believe. I'll look for the link.

5. DEPUTYDAWG

DEPUTYDAWG Active Member

Gov. Perry declared flags at half-mast for both Rehnquist and Katrina, until September 20th.

6. cynder

cynder New Member

Is this nationwide or just Texas? I haven't heard about anything but Rehnquist and I am IN TEXAS so it appears the "word" hasn't gotten out. Perhaps it needs to be restated by Bush and the states again. People have been a bit preoccupied - so much going on - a Holiday weekend, school starting, 9/11 anniversary, Supreme court, Katrina.

7. JBean

JBean Retired WS Administrator

8. DEPUTYDAWG

DEPUTYDAWG Active Member

I don't know Cynder, I actually hadn't heard anything Bush had done on a national level re flags. I've been preoccupied....

All I know is Tuesday morning, we received teletypes and a copy of Perry's executive order to have flags at half-mast until September 20th, for Rehnquist and Katrina. And since I'm not in charge of the flag poles here (Adjutant is), I didn't read all the detail; but it was saying something about our State buildings had to, but others such as private businesses, etc. were "encouraged" to do the same.

9. less0305

10. JBean

JBean Retired WS Administrator

11. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

In Dallas, there's one car dealership that's got three or four HUGE American flags and they've been lowered. Other than one or two other businesses, that's all I've seen. I think its a shame.

12. cynder

cynder New Member

I think people just don't know - I am sure that they would gladly do it if they got the info. I didn't know anything about lowering them for Katrina (Rehnquist is all I heard) so I would have been among the ignorant myself.
    OT (just wondering) Is 9/11 considered a "half-mast" day now?

13. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

I think people are allowed to take it upon themseves to recognize that we're going through a national tragedy here with up to 25,000 body bags being ordered. I'm not sure why they'd need to wait to be told to do it. It always puts a lump in my throat to see it though.

I don't think that 9/11 will be done every year. But I remember after 2001, with people driving around with their headlights on all day, people standing on over passes holding American flags, etc. Tore my heart out.

14. less0305

Usually once the President issues the resolution - it is filtered down to the State levels because so many federal buildings are in the different States. And also, most of the time, if the President issues a resolution then the Governor will follow suit and issue one for State buildings and all governmental buildings, etc. I found out through my municipality - because I'm the one that gets that type of information. Then I let all my city buildings know. Then people and businesses in town begin to follow suit also. Usually I know it's coming when the Post Office has their's lowered in the morning, then I know I'll get the information that day usually.

15. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

The American Legion calenders indicate days such as 9/11, Pearl Harbor Day, Memorial Day, etc. be half-mast days. They should probably have a Katrina remembrence day, if the death toll gets into the thousands.

16. Norma

Norma Pook

Our flag at work, in Michigan, is at half mast.

17. less0305

18. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

I have a flag pole and flag at my home we lowered it on 8-30. Many in my town have done the same and we have placed large purple bows on the flag poles with a banner that says "Katrina Victims". It has really caught on here.

Ocean

19. less0305

Hubby is a veteran and he lowered our home flag the minute the post office did. Purple bows haven't been introduced here yet. Good idea tho.

20. BillyGoatGruff

BillyGoatGruff New Member

Flags in NO are half mast. I've seen the photos.

21. vanillasky

vanillasky New Member

All flags I've seen this week here are at half mast.