Lt.Col 'Birther' who refused to deploy is convicted.

Good. Colonel Lakin doesn't seem to understand how the military works. Inexcusable in someone of his rank.

I wonder if Obama decided to pardon him if he would except it.

do you have to show your birth certificate to join the army, like you do to get a driver's license?

I too have my doubts about Obama being born in the USA. I don't know that I am a "birther" though. I don't form my attitudes, opinions, etc. about Obama because of it.

And soldiers don't get to refuse to obey orders because of internet gossip.

God bless Col. Lakin. I have read this story in detail and what he has done is what everyone should do. This story is more than internet gossip and there is enough doubt to warrant an answer for all Americans. This is just my opinion and not intended to offend anyone.

He should have resigned his commission if there were any issues. You don't refuse an order without consequences, period.

God bless Col. Lakin. I have read this story in detail and what he has done is what everyone should do. This story is more than internet gossip and there is enough doubt to warrant an answer for all Americans. This is just my opinion and not intended to offend anyone.

I stand corrected.

I should written, "Soldiers don't get to refuse to obey orders because of your opinion."

I'm glad he got weeded out, he's obviously got some problems if he allowed himself to get caught up in the birther hysteria and propoganda. But what really concerns me is that he achieved such a high rank without his "eccentricities" being flagged at an earlier juncture. To have a high ranking military official take such a stance is not only an embarassment, but it's scary.:eek: Wonder what else lurks in his closet. Then again, maybe it's just plain old ignorance. Let's hope.

I really don't care what his issues are.

Refusing a direct order to deploy would be enough for dismissal and a dishonorable discharged at least, imo.

I suppose he forgot the contract that he made with the military.

Now I do know that quite a few do not like Obama but they put those personal opinions aside and do their job duties as they swore to do.

IMO

do you have to show your birth certificate to join the army, like you do to get a driver's license?

Okay, this is a weird one for me. I had a "Certificate of Live Birth" that my mom was given at the hospital when I was born. For years, I used this as my BC. It got me into public school, private school, driver's license, marriage license, etc. In 2006, when I tried to buy a Ford using their D-plan (for the siblings of Ford employees), it suddenly wasn't good enough. It turns out, we were SUPPOSED to turn the dumb thing in and receive a REAL BC in return back when I was born (bro. had the same thing). So before I could buy a car from Ford, I had to get a REAL BC, as did my brother. The craziness? The US Government accepted this thing for (muffled) years and FORD is the one that caught it! My BC now truly exists, but reads that it was issued in May 2006. Oh, and the Army accepted my brother's cert., in 1993 which we now know wasn't valid.

I have found in life that sometimes situations are a Catch 22. I feel certain that if it had been time for this Lt. Col to re-up he would not have re-uped. Naturally, you can't just quit the military and even if it had been his re-up time, the military could extend his time anyway. Once you are in the military they own your butt for life. You can be recalled at any time they need you after you have left the service. This happened to my oldest daughter's husband during the Gulf War and to a friend of mine, who is now deceased, during this Iraq War.

With that said, this Lt. Col for whatever his problems may or may not be, and whatever his opinions are, didn't want to deploy back to Afghanistan. I'm sure with his years of service he was well aware of what they would do to him.

Side note: One thing I do find interesting is that to the people (civilians) who are so pro military they forget the fact that these men and women are human beings with feelings and not robots. We are finding the just "suck it up and do it" days are not working so well, thus the need for continous redeployments due to few new recruits. When my middle daughter's husband, who is career Army, came back after his first deployment to Iraq, he was sent to NYC to do recruiting, he did not like it at all. Recruiters are treated like crapola, high stats set they can't possibly meet, because people don't enlist like they use to. After 2 more tours in Iraq they are counting the days til his retirement, but they are also aware the Army will always own him.

Okay, this is a weird one for me. I had a "Certificate of Live Birth" that my mom was given at the hospital when I was born. For years, I used this as my BC. It got me into public school, private school, driver's license, marriage license, etc. In 2006, when I tried to buy a Ford using their D-plan (for the siblings of Ford employees), it suddenly wasn't good enough. It turns out, we were SUPPOSED to turn the dumb thing in and receive a REAL BC in return back when I was born (bro. had the same thing). So before I could buy a car from Ford, I had to get a REAL BC, as did my brother. The craziness? The US Government accepted this thing for (muffled) years and FORD is the one that caught it! My BC now truly exists, but reads that it was issued in May 2006. Oh, and the Army accepted my brother's cert., in 1993 which we now know wasn't valid.

In California, when I go to the LA County Records department to get a copy of my birth certificate. It is in fact a "certificate of live birth" that is given to me.
Even the original was a certificate of live birth...I can't imagine what you actually got that was any different.

He was certainly onboard when his decision to be in the military was benefitting him and his family but when he wanted to opt out he forgot that it was part of what he agreed to. Letting the U.S. via the military send you off to fight a war. Only this man wasn't even being sent off to fight or being asked to kill someone. In this instance, he was being deployed to go treat and save soldiers lives in war. If his agreement to serve is not binding then is anyone's? If not what does that mean? How then, have a military at all?

Bad form dude. Just MO

In California, when I go to the LA County Records department to get a copy of my birth certificate. It is in fact a "certificate of live birth" that is given to me.
Even the original was a certificate of live birth...I can't imagine what you actually got that was any different.

The new one (2006) actually says "Birth Certificate." Apparently, there are people in Harrisburg who need jobs; thus, the extra "send it in for the real deal" certificate jobs.

I stand corrected.

I should written, "Soldiers don't get to refuse to obey orders because of your opinion."

This is an interesting thread and most all opinions are represented. I have read the pros and cons and I appreciate those who replied and stated whats on their mind.

Nova, I never knew you thought my opinion would make that much of a difference...but truly its no more valid than anyone elses. You know what they say about opinions and assumptions?

I have found in life that sometimes situations are a Catch 22. I feel certain that if it had been time for this Lt. Col to re-up he would not have re-uped. Naturally, you can't just quit the military and even if it had been his re-up time, the military could extend his time anyway. Once you are in the military they own your butt for life. You can be recalled at any time they need you after you have left the service. This happened to my oldest daughter's husband during the Gulf War and to a friend of mine, who is now deceased, during this Iraq War.

With that said, this Lt. Col for whatever his problems may or may not be, and whatever his opinions are, didn't want to deploy back to Afghanistan. I'm sure with his years of service he was well aware of what they would do to him.

Side note: One thing I do find interesting is that to the people (civilians) who are so pro military they forget the fact that these men and women are human beings with feelings and not robots. We are finding the just "suck it up and do it" days are not working so well, thus the need for continous redeployments due to few new recruits. When my middle daughter's husband, who is career Army, came back after his first deployment to Iraq, he was sent to NYC to do recruiting, he did not like it at all. Recruiters are treated like crapola, high stats set they can't possibly meet, because people don't enlist like they use to. After 2 more tours in Iraq they are counting the days til his retirement, but they are also aware the Army will always own him.

Thank you for reminding some of us civilians what life in the military can be.

For the record, I have great sympathy for those who resist deployment due to genuine hardship. But refusing to deploy over a theoretical and unproved technicality is something very different in my book.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back