Lt.Col 'Birther' who refused to deploy is convicted.

just not to be president.

Given the constitutional requirement, it is odd that we have no formal procedure for verifying native birth of presidential candidates.

But in this case, Hawai'i officials have verified the birth record. I think that's as close as we can get.

This is an interesting thread and most all opinions are represented. I have read the pros and cons and I appreciate those who replied and stated whats on their mind.

Nova, I never knew you thought my opinion would make that much of a difference...but truly its no more valid than anyone elses. You know what they say about opinions and assumptions?

Granny, I only mentioned opinion because you did. I was happy calling questions of Obama's birth "gossip," but I thought you objected to the characterization.

Obviously, the colonel isn't basing his claim on your opinion or mine, but on the legality of the order to deploy. I doubt he will succeed.

Thats one of the things about the Military refusal of orders is going to warrant consequences.
I know quite a few people deployed to Iraq who had many,many misgivings about the WMD issue and the reasons for the invasion however they would have been in the same boat had they refused orders or deployment.
Its just how it is.
My personal opinion is that the 'Birther issue' is paranoid nonsense but thats just my opinion.

I was curious about the other charge that is mentioned in the article that the OP linked within their post.

From what I can tell, he also disobeyed at least one other direct order from his superior. He could have submitted a resignation of his commission, he had been in 17 years from what I read. But of course I have no way of knowing if the Army paid for his education, in full or in part and if he had fulfilled his obligation for that debt through his contract. JMHO.

Just as an aside. Officers don't re-up. Re-upping is slang for re-entlisting. Officers have a service agreement (which can be similar to the entlistment contract in that they must fulfill their duties). Just my understanding of how that works. It's of no matter, and it's neither here nor there, just thought I'd throw that in :)

I found this interesting and thought I would share (interesting article, the Army Times is fairly balanced and informative we get it in print at our home):

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/12/ap-o-5-who-refused-deployment-convicted-121510/

(just a snippet, the article is much longer)

On Wednesday, however, Lakin reversed course, saying he would now deploy even with his question unanswered. Puckett asked him why.

“That’s my duty. It’s what I’ve trained for. I’m in the Army,” he replied.

“Are we done disobeying orders, Lt. Col. Lakin?” his attorney asked him.

“Yes,” Lakin replied.

Lakin explained that he tried for two years to figure out to whom in the Army he could raise his questions about Obama’s eligibility but that he was not given guidance what he should do. He acknowledged he used his deployment as a way to raise the issue and that he knew when he disobeyed orders that his “career was over.”

Come now. IMHO a man with 17 yrs in as an Officer in the Army, due to be promoted from LT COL to COL doesn't know the proper channels for lodging a complaint about his implending deployment? He doesn't know how to lodge a complaint up his chain of command up to and including a complaint about the Commander in Chief?

Sorry but that's a crock of bull stinky right there but that's JMHO. H3LL I know how to find out the chain of command, and how to shoot a letter or memorandum for record up that chain and I have never served. All you have to do is google the darn chain of command.

He knew it was a serious offense to refuse to obey a lawful order from a superior (the superior was named but I lost the article to use as reference I'm sorry).

IMHO that is the crux of what this is about, not his "birther" stance. His "birther" stance is what made his disobeying of lawful orders newsworthy. JMHO.

(I'm glad he will no longer have a career in the Army, but that's because I am selfish and wouldn't want this man anywhere near my loved ones that are currently serving and deployed...good riddance and godspeed, sorry but that's just how I feel about it).

Thats one of the things about the Military refusal of orders is going to warrant consequences.
I know quite a few people deployed to Iraq who had many,many misgivings about the WMD issue and the reasons for the invasion however they would have been in the same boat had they refused orders or deployment.
Its just how it is.
My personal opinion is that the 'Birther issue' is paranoid nonsense but thats just my opinion.

I agree. As it turns out, those who were reluctant to deploy to Iraq might well have made a legal case that their orders were illegal, but who among them would have the money for that sort of fight?

I actually dated this guy in college, so I have a bit of personal perspective on him. He is a very sincere and helpful person... always willing to go to the aid of anyone who needs it. I never saw a hint that he was racist at all. But he is a little bit naive (the best word I can think of) and could easily be taken advantage of. I think he was manipulated as a pawn, or birther poster child. You can see some of that coming out on his trial, where he wasn't quite as defiant anymore. This doesn't excuse what he did. I still think his punishment was just. But, he has certainly self-destructed his life, for whatever reason.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back