MA - Lindsay Clancy, Strangled 3 Children in Murder/Suicide Attempt, Duxbury, Jan 2023

I think people are treating it a little differently since they were her own kids and she tried to kill herself too. If she survives she's going to have to live with what she did to her own children and her own family for the rest of her life. That's more punishment IMO than most offenders get since they hurt and kill other people's kids, not their own.

But I did pause to think how we've seen male family annihilators, like the recent one in Utah, and we don't stop to ask if there's mental illness there. We just assume jealousy, evil, rage. Is it harder for us to see that in women? JMO and just asking questions.
I presume it is because of the hormones and all the psychological and physical changes a woman goes on through during post partem. Throw in nursing, lack of sleep and most likely the main supporter and provider… it’s a lot to take on.

I wonder what her injuries are and if she'll remain psychotic for some time to come. I know next to nothing about Postpartum Psychosis. The whole tragedy is just mind boggling and horrible.
I hope the little one survives with minimal physical damage.

Left alone for 25 minutes...dear lord

Another Massachusetts case, close to home. Family lives in Duxbury and we’re all just so sad. Sad for those precious children, the baby who will hopefully survive, and, of course, the father, whose life has been changed forever. Also sad for Lindsay, as it seems, she was doing what she could under their circumstances with hormones, etc. I truly know nothing about PPD/PPP but they seem like horrific.

l’ve struggled with these same thoughts since hearing about this. Where does culpability start and where does it end. We know to have compassion for the mentally ill (I hope) but where should it end? Should it end? Can you have empathy but not forgiveness? I don’t know either.
I think I will always have compassion when someone so poorly is doing everything they should be to get help and receiving treatment. It is less clear cut IMO when treatment is refused or the people around them ignores etc.

This case is just an awful tragedy.

I have just heard about this case. I'm so sad about it. It is so sad for the entire family. The poor mother will never forgive herself once she is out of psychosis. I have three children with similar age gaps. It hits hard when cases echo your own set up.

I wonder if she suffered from PPD after her previous children. I am U.K. based. Her middle child must have been very young when covid hit and lockdown which had such a negative impact on so many. Over here new mothers had very little support at the time. It was very isolating and it here any sort of support services or community stopped all together.

If I had to guess, MOO, is she’d been inpatient and recently discharged home but still attending a 5 day a week outpatient program.
Do we know for sure that there had been any inpatient treatment?

Local radio presenter John DePetro reported that friends of the depressed mother said: 'Her husband was working from home instead of going in to work to be able to try and support her daily while she went to a program 5 days a week for PPD.

'And in the 25 minutes it took him to pick up take out, the unthinkable happened.'

Investigators are now looking into the possibility that Lindsay, 32, was suffering from postpartum psychosis. The mother-of-three had also previously shared online that she was struggling with postpartum anxiety
Has the DA walked back his statement about murder charges? He made that pretty early on if IRC? Or, is someone always charged regardless? And then they have to present that as their defense? What a terrible situation for all. Any update on the surviving child or the Mom?

If I had to guess, MOO, is she’d been inpatient and recently discharged home but still attending a 5 day a week outpatient program.
It didn't sound like that to me from what I read. I didn't pick up on any inpatient treatment. Regardless, just terribly sad all the way around.

Wow, this is a heartbreaking case. My best friend gave birth last month and she started experiencing postpartum psychosis and had to be hospitalized for a week while she was stabilized with medicine. Thankfully she is feeling better now as they caught it early, but she said it was terrifying –– every time she looked at someone's face, she saw it swirling with her baby's face.

We don’t know all the fact. They are very limited. I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable to hope the police do their due diligence. <modsnip> And innocent until proven guilty you know.

<modsnip> I hope all angles are being investigated is called due diligence. It woudl be ignorant to not at least rule out other possibilities.

If she did do it in a state of psychosis she is unlikely to ever stand trial, as they would easily be able to prove mental insanity with all her history and diagnosis.

I just dont think people jump out of second story windows to commit suicide. Especially not closed ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back