GUILTY MA - Christa Worthington, 45, murdered in her Truro home, 6 Jan 2002

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Hammerized, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Bobbisangel

Bobbisangel New Member

I don't have an opinion one way or the other but does the judge really think that anyone on the jury is going to admit it if they were prejudice?

2. joe jones

joe jones Active Member

3. Jean

Jean Former Member

Inmate stabs Truro killer (Boston Herald 6/10/08)

Christopher McCowen, the trash hauler convicted of murdering fashion writer Christa Worthington, was hospitalized yesterday after being stabbed in prison, a Department of Correction source said.
    The source called the stabbing at MCI-Cedar Junction “serious,” and said McCowen was stabbed by a fellow inmate - a 58-year-old white male who wielded a 7-inch metal shank.

Department of Correction spokeswoman Susan Martin would not identify the victim or the perpetrator. She would only say that an inmate was stabbed by another inmate with a “makeshift weapon” at about 2 p.m. Sunday in a housing unit.

More at link http://www.bostonherald.com/news/re...nmate_stabs_Truro_killer/srvc=home&position=1

4. trixie

trixie Former Member

wHOO HOO! :Banane10:It's about time! Now maybe someone else will have the guts to finish the job when he goes back.

5. lstiff

lstiff Well-Known Member

Bumping this. *blows off the dust* I listened to the 20/20 Podcast released today (A Killing on the Cape) that covers this. I guess the defendant is trying to get a new trial? The details of her young daughter spending time with her dead body broke my heart and literally made me want to cry. I hope she is doing well now.

IMO

6. Queena

Queena Member

I saw an episode of Perfect Murder that featured this case. I find it very hard to believe that Christopher McCowen committed this crime. I find it incredibly racist to think that this White woman wouldn't sleep with a poor Black man. Her idol was her Grandma Tiny, and she had an affair with Paul Robeson! Her friends talked about her lack of taste in men. The B.U.M... She was a equal opportunity lover. To think that he got convicted because no one believed that she would willingly have sex with him is crazy.

The guy who bragged about the killing... The one who said that he was about to go rape and rob a rich woman... He testified against Chris! Both of them were police informats..
    That guy was recently arrested for child rape. The comments from the locals are very revealing... They think that he should have been locked up for murder years ago.

mrsselig likes this.
  7. Queena

Queena Member

Very incorrect. The baby is with family friends. Jacket wasn't allowed to get custody because he was a suspect. They had McCowen's DNA for years before they decided to test it. He even talked to the police within days of the murder. He was a police informant.

8. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

Cape Cod Murderer, Who Maintains His Innocence, Breaks Silence on Slaying of a Single Mom (with clip)

"A former Massachusetts trash collector is speaking out on broadcast TV this week for the first time since he was convicted of raping and murdering a 46-year-old single mother more than 15 years ago.

The death of Christa Worthington in Truro, Massachusetts, gripped the small Cape Cod community and made headlines around the country.

The killing remained unsolved for three years until the surprise arrest of Christopher McCowen, Worthington’s former trash collector, who was placed at the scene by DNA evidence. A disputed statement McCowen gave to police, admitting he had sex with Worthington and beat her, was also damning. He blamed the fatal stabbing on a friend, who police said had an alibi...."

http://people.com/crime/christopher-mccowen-abc-interview-christa-worthington-murder/
    ---

Chris McCowen: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

http://heavy.com/news/2017/11/chris-mccowen-christa-worthington-trial-arrest-podcast/

[​IMG]
    Link: http://nymag.com/daily/intel/20061116cworthington.jpg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Bid for new trial continues

The Judge denied Pelletier’s last motion for a new trial for McCowen in 2014.

His lawyer told the Judge that he planned to amend a subpoena submitted to telephone companies Verizon and T-Mobile for records of phone numbers relevant to the case. Because of the age of the numbers, the companies said they could not determine who owned the phones the numbers were connected to. But they said they could determine whether each number was connected to a landline, cellphone or pager. 

If Verizon can provide records showing that the 978 number was not connected to a pager, it will show that Frazier lied on the stand, he said.

“If it wasn’t a pager number, if it was a landline, then he committed perjury,” he said.

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20180112/bid-for-new-trial-continues-in-worthington-case

10. otto

otto Verified Expert

SPOILER ALERT: I watched the movie Murder on the Cape on Netflix last night and was really disappointed in how the story was told. Not only is the child a son rather than a daughter, but the murder is a drug dealer retrieving his drugs from her car rather than the garbage man. The convicted person is a doper who took the child from the car to the house rather than the person who committed the murder. The child is raised by the father rather than the appointed guardian in the Will. Modifying the truth as it was in the movie did not make for a better story.

11. moonriverfarm

moonriverfarm Well-Known Member

Murder on the Cape was nothing more than a fictional Lifetime - type movie. Not accurate on much of the facts presented as true.
    Are the crime scene photos accessible anywhere? Seems when I read Invisible Eden the first time, I had seen photos of the body somewhere. Looking at the crime scene let you know how violent this attack was.

12. RosalindaA

RosalindaA Well-Known Member

One of the fastest-growing! true-crimers on youtube, Stephanie Harlow covered Christa's case this week
    I had not heard of this case previously but it is clearly a very tragic and complex one. Stephanie does get a lot of detail into her videos, reads the books and articles that have been written about cases, has a pleasant voice to listen to and has a serious and victim-friendly approach. Perhaps a good starting point for people today for Christa's case IMO.

From what I can see, I don't have much if any doubt that Christopher McCowen's conviction was the right verdict, DNA and too many changing stories from him, clinch it for me. I hope Christa's daughter has help to deal with the re-awakening of all the trauma that his legal manoeuvrings must cause her.