GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *Appeal Filed*

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Greater Than, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Emi

Emi CSKA Sofia fan!!! Huge Golden State Warriors fan!

Bill Kole on Twitter
    Bill Kole‏Verified account @billkole 32m32 minutes ago
    BREAKING: Woman who urged boyfriend through text messages to kill himself has been ordered to jail to begin serving her 15-month sentence. #michellecarter

Jerome Campbell on Twitter
    Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 5h5 hours ago
    A Bristol juvenile judge could decide this afternoon whether Michelle Carter will begin her 15-month prison sentence. Her appellate attorneys filed an emergency motion this morning to continue her stay while they prepare an appeal to the Supreme Court

Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 5h5 hours ago
    The appellate attorneys intend to ask the Supreme Court to overturn the station court ruling by applying federal constitutional protections, according to their court filing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 49m49 minutes ago
    Jerome Campbell Retweeted WBUR

I'm in the courtroom where the judge will soon hear arguments whether #MichelleCarter should begin her 15-month sentence for her involuntary manslaughter conviction.

Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 42m42 minutes ago
    The judge granted the Commonwealth's motion, ordering Michelle Carter to begin her sentence. She was taken into custody immediately after the ruling.

Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 33m33 minutes ago
    Prosecutors maintained that the initial stay of sentence was only for the state court appeal. Now that it is over, the stay should be lifted.

Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 32m32 minutes ago
    Joseph Cataldo, who presented on behalf of the defense, said that Carter's legal team planned to file an appeal with the Supreme Court in 90 days. Adding that the court should grant the stay of sentence.

Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 31m31 minutes ago
    Reporters are now gathered outside the courthouse waiting for comment from the attorneys.

[​IMG]
    0 replies0 retweets0 likes

SugarQueen, Jax49, minusfour and 7 others like this.
  2. The Farm

The Farm Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. BOSCOE

BOSCOE Well-Known Member

15 months is such a short time to pay for her actions. I am quite sure this will not be the last we hear of MC as I predict this is only the beginning.

4. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

5. MsGazette

MsGazette Just call me Ms G

6. Jewels53

Jewels53 Forever in my Heart!

Outside court, Roy’s family said they were happy justice is finally being served after a more than four-year ordeal.

[​IMG]
    Michelle Carter at Bristol County House of Corrections (Image from Bristol County Sheriff)

“This has been a four-year ordeal for our family. It’s been four and a half years since Conrad passed, so our heart has been broken this whole time,” Roy’s aunt Becki Maki said.

Judge Orders Michelle Carter To Start Serving Sentence In Texting Suicide Case

Michelle doesn't look very happy in this picture. I am sure she is not looking forward to her time in Jail or is it Prison? It has been a long time coming for Conrads family. It is not much time to serve for what she did. In a case like this for the first time it is a good start. I hope people will realize they can't get away with talking or coaching someone into suicide. imo

Alcina, EvaBell65, mrazda71 and 8 others like this.
  7. MsGazette

MsGazette Just call me Ms G

To me, it adds and sets an example to the issue of cyber bullying, not to mention your civil duties in life to do the right thing and save someone’s life if you can. These kids need to be shown that this is serious! It isn’t funny. It’s not a joke. It’s someone’s life. And it isn’t about YOU (meaning the teen offender).

8. Jewels53

Jewels53 Forever in my Heart!

I totally agree and I see it as a form of cyber bullying also. She took it and ran with it. She saw someone weaker than herself and used Conrad as a puppet to destroy him. It makes me sick to my stomach and so very sad what she did to Conrad and his family. He needed help and she could have helped him. Instead she destroyed him.

Michelle wanted attention the only thing, all she has got is negative attention. I hope she is happy now, in her sick way. jmo imo

mrazda71, SugarQueen, kimpage and 6 others like this.
  9. Emi

Emi CSKA Sofia fan!!! Huge Golden State Warriors fan!

Alcina, mrazda71, MerBeach and 11 others like this.
  10. Steleheart

Steleheart Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I really think this is a win for attention and funding for mental illness. We and Gov Baker have an opportunity to set the stage for reforms regarding treatment and insurance coverage pertaining not only to mental illness but also for addiction treatment which is also looked down on by the healthcare industry. For that reason I think that a Federal appeal will defer to the state's decision.
    Having said that, people must be held accountable for their actions. Michelle.

Web Extra: Judge Orders Michelle Carter To Start Serving Sentence In Texting Suicide Case

Safeguard, BOSCOE, The Farm and 8 others like this.
  11. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Michelle Carter, 22, is taken into custody to start her 15 month prison sentence for manslaughter after encouraging her boyfriend via text messages to kill himself
    • Michelle Carter, 22, was taken into custody in Massachusetts on Monday to start her 15 month sentence for manslaughter
    • Carter was convicted in 2017 of causing her boyfriend Conrad Roy III's death after she encouraged him via text to kill himself in 2014
    • A judge had allowed her to remain free while she appealed but a Massachusetts' highest court upheld her manslaughter conviction last week
    • Carter, who was sporting a new cropped hair cut, showed no discernible emotion as she was taken into custody
    Carter's lawyer had urged the judge to allow the young woman to stay out of jail while they take her case to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Her attorneys said in court documents that she has no prior criminal record, hasn't tried to flee, and has been receiving mental health treatment.

But a judge ruled on Monday that she should start her sentence.

Carter, who was sporting a new cropped hair cut, showed no discernible emotion as she was taken into custody but her shoulders did sag as she stood and prepared to be led away.

Earlier in the day, Massachusetts' highest court denied an emergency motion filed by her lawyers to keep her out of jail.

Carter was 17 when her 18-year-old boyfriend took his own life in Fairhaven, a town on Massachusetts' south coast in July 2014.
    Michelle Carter is taken into custody to start her 15 month sentence | Daily Mail Online

ETA: She delayed justice long enough. Serve your time missy..

Alcina, SugarQueen, MerBeach and 9 others like this.
  12. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Ahhh, the sweet sound of the click of handcuffs! :D

Mass. Woman Sent to Jail for Sending Texts to Teen Boyfriend Urging Him to Kill Himself

13. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

You're probably right -- and prison certainly won't make her better. She's got a screw loose.
    Involuntary Manslaughter, my toenail.

Welcome to Websleuths, BOSCOE !!

BOSCOE, EvaBell65, Steleheart and 8 others like this.
  14. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

I was hoping for prison time. She'll have it much easier in the county jail. At least she'll be doing some time.

15. Steleheart

At least she'll find out life doesn't revolve around her.

BOSCOE, SugarQueen, Cubby and 6 others like this.
  16. Piney Woods

Piney Woods Well-Known Member

Had she owned up to her actions four years ago she possibly could have already been out of jail.

17. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

18. Steleheart

SugarQueen, Jax49 and Jewels53 like this.
  19. Steleheart

This is true and she could have served it in Juvenile had they agreed to a speedy trial and not done all that pretrial delay. Her legal team wasn't serving her - they are in it for the precedent setting notoriety. Now she has to serve it in grown-up jail.

20. Steleheart