GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were looking at a text that she sent to a friend where she told Conrad over the phone to ‘get back in the truck’. The text to the friend was the only evidence they had for not only not seeking help for him, but also encouraging him to do it. This is because she spoke to him over the phone and it was of course not recorded.

It wasn't just one text, actually. It was dozens that combined showed she committed manslaughter.
All the texts between Michelle Carter and Conrad Roy the day he died

It wasn't just one text, actually. It was dozens that combined showed she committed manslaughter.
All the texts between Michelle Carter and Conrad Roy the day he died
No, no I know that. I’m from the general area and familiar with the case. Someone on here was specifically mentioning the “get out of the truck” part that the judge was mentioning during the sentencing. At least I thought they were. I 100% agree about all of the evidence. I’m sorry I misrepresented what I was trying to say :-/

Did anyone watch the HBO documentary?

A lot of people sympathized with Michelle after watching. I don’t know how to feel about that. I think she bore some responsibility and her behavior and encouragement for him to end his life was awful and worthy of the charges.

His family doesn’t seem completely innocent though judging by some of the information in the documentary. I won’t add salt to a wound because they’ve lost their child and that’s something no one deserves, but all I know is these were 2 troubled kids who never should’ve wound up together. Tragedy all around.

Did anyone watch the HBO documentary?

A lot of people sympathized with Michelle after watching. I don’t know how to feel about that. I think she bore some responsibility and her behavior and encouragement for him to end his life was awful and worthy of the charges.

His family doesn’t seem completely innocent though judging by some of the information in the documentary. I won’t add salt to a wound because they’ve lost their child and that’s something no one deserves, but all I know is these were 2 troubled kids who never should’ve wound up together. Tragedy all around.

Hi: i didn't watch the documentary- what do you mean when you say his family doesn't seen completely innocent?

Hi: i didn't watch the documentary- what do you mean when you say his family doesn't seen completely innocent?
Supposedly his dad was abusive toward him. He wrote in his journal that his father beat him. His mom was also arrested (but not convicted) for domestic violence against the father. Conrad has also had 4 previous suicide attempts.

I still think Michelle carter bears culpability for his final attempt but I still find the entire situation just awful

Supposedly his dad was abusive toward him. He wrote in his journal that his father beat him. His mom was also arrested (but not convicted) for domestic violence against the father. Conrad has also had 4 previous suicide attempts.

I still think Michelle carter bears culpability for his final attempt but I still find the entire situation just awful

wow, i had no idea he came from such a dysfunctional-abusive situation but Michelle Carter is the one who put the nail in his coffin- literally

Conrad deserved better people in his life. :(

I’m bothered by the fact that he had 4 previous suicide attempts yet his mother says she had no idea he was in such a bad state. There’s a disconnect there.

Oh this has not one thing to do with a witch hunt or misogyny. I'd feel exactly the same if she was a man.

And it was absolutely actionable. Which is why she got charged and sentenced. Her actions weren't bullying. They were insanely psychopathic. They were calculated and monstrous. She spent actual months trying to convince her sick boyfriend to kill himself, just so she could get attention. She spent hours on the phone with him texting and talking using every form of manipulation possible to force him to go through with it.

She wasn't "mean". She wasn't stupid. She wasn't a bully.

She was an evil psychopath monstrously plotting a sick younnf man's death so she could play the victim later on.

When he cried and expressed fear she essentially called him a coward. When he jumped out of the car filling with carbon monoxide and told her he was too scared she demanded he get back in.

She manipulated him to believe his family would be fine and get over it. She told him his suffering would be over.

After, she pretended she didn't know where he was as his frantic family searched for him.

This is no "teen" who made a stupid mistake or didn't know what she was doing. This isn't an angry person yelling at someone to go kill themselves. She's a calculating and cold monster and I 100% believe we will hear about her again.

I completely agree with @HMSHood that she has Munchausen's syndrome and if she ever has kids I'm certain they will be in mortal danger from this sick psychopath.
Maybe someone can put her in touch with Karla Homolka, I think they would get along well!

Michelle Carter moved from the Bristol County House of Correction

Jul 26, 2019

"DARTMOUTH — Michelle Carter, convicted of encouraging her teenage boyfriend to commit suicide in a case that drew national and international headlines, has been moved to a penal institution outside Bristol County, a spokesman said.

Jonathan Darling, a spokesman for the Bristol County House of Correction, said Carter has been moved, but he would not discuss where she is serving her time or anything about the circumstances behind her relocation.

“Ms. Carter is still in custody of the Bristol County Sheriff’s Office but she is not currently at a corrections facility in Bristol County,” he said Friday in an email. “We will not be providing any more information on her whereabouts.”
He also did not say when Carter was moved....

The news of Carter’s relocation comes two days after state lawmakers and Roy’s family gathered at the Statehouse to announce the filing of Conrad’s Law, a bill in memory of Conrad Roy III that would criminalize suicide coercion in Massachusetts. The bill calls for a maximum five-year state prison sentence for anyone convicted....

Cataldo has said Carter will be eligible for parole in September or after she completes about 7 1/2 months of her 15-month sentence.

Darling said, in response to questions from The Standard-Times, that the original end date of her sentence was May 20, 2020 if she does not receive parole. However, Carter has earned 39 days of good time for her job in the kitchen and attending programs and her new end date is March 27, 2020 if she is not granted parole.

Jail officials said Carter has the opportunity to earn “good time” and reduce her sentence by 10 days a month through her participation in inmate work programs, programming and educational opportunities."

Michelle Carter moved from the Bristol County House of Correction
---

Supreme Court asked to take Massachusetts, texting case

July 28, 2019

"Words can hurt, but the Supreme Court now has been asked to decide whether they can kill.

Michelle Carter, who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in Massachusetts after encouraging her boyfriend over the phone to take his own life in 2014, has asked the justices to take up her case and overturn the conviction.

Court watchers doubt the justices will take the case, but the legal conflict has sparked debates on social media and at water coolers across the country....

Her lawyers, in their appeal to the Supreme Court this month, said Carter’s words were protected by the First Amendment and weren’t “speech integral to criminal conduct,” as the trial judge had found.

The lawyers said the ruling broke new ground in convicting someone who wasn’t present at a death, based on words alone....

Roy’s mother last week joined state lawmakers to announce a legislation that would remove all doubt about criminality by creating a new offense for pressuring someone to take their own life. The punishment would include up to five years in prison."

Supreme Court asked to take Massachusetts, texting case

022715conradcs03.jpg

U.S. Supreme Court wants state AG to respond to Michelle Carter of Plainville's petition

Aug 22, 2019

"PLAINVILLE — The U.S. Supreme Court wants the state Attorney General’s office to respond to Michelle Carter’s petition asking the high court to review her manslaughter conviction.

The justices made their request Thursday after the AG’s office opted on Aug. 9 to waive filing a response unless the court requested one.

A spokesperson for the state Attorney General’s office said the office will now file a response. The high court set a Sept. 23 deadline, according to the court’s docket.

The Supreme Court has yet to decide whether to hear Carter’s appeal. Experts say the court accepts about 1.2 percent of certiorari petitions...."

U.S. Supreme Court wants state AG to respond to Michelle Carter of Plainville's petition

Plainville woman jailed in texting-suicide case faces parole board hearing

Sept 9, 2019

"PLAINVILLE — A local woman in jail for badgering her boyfriend by texts and phone calls into killing himself in a landmark manslaughter case is up for parole.

Michelle Carter, 23, who was convicted in a jury-waived trial of involuntary manslaughter in a controversial decision, faces a parole board hearing Sept. 19, authorities said.

Carter has served about seven months of a 15-month sentence for coercing Conrad Roy III, 18, of Mattapoisett into committing suicide in July 2014. The 15-month term, is the committed portion of a 2 1/2-year jail sentence. The balance was suspended with probation....

Roy’s grandfather, Conrad Roy Sr., said Friday the family will be attending the hearing to oppose her early release from jail....

Carter is appealing to the U.S. Supreme Court to have her conviction overturned....

The nation’s highest court has not yet made a decision on whether to hear Carter’s case. But it has asked the state Attorney General’s office to file a response to the petition by Sept. 23."

Plainville woman jailed in texting-suicide case faces parole board hearing

Michelle Carter appears before parole board to appeal for early release seven months into sentence | Daily Mail Online

Michelle Carter, convicted in texting suicide case, seeks early release from prison

Felon Michelle Carter appears before parole board to get her sentence reduced. She will appear before board today, no time given. She has been a “model prisoner” per daily mail.

She was sentenced Feb 2019 for 15 months, she has served 7 months. Hearing is closed to public.

Lawyers still waiting on the appeal to the Supreme Court.

RO cites exclusive early release story but headline is misleading. All inmates eligible to shave up to 5-10 days off sentence per month for working, attending classes, good behavior. I hope the PB does not grant her additional time for early release to the 45+ days already earned off her lenient sentence.

Teen Text Killer Michelle Carter Scores Early Release From Prison

“When she first arrived, her sentence had her release date of May 5, 2020,” Bristol County Sheriff Spokesman Jonathan Darling told Radar. “She has earned good time from working and attending programs, and now March 13, 2020, is when her sentence ends.” bbm

An inmate can earn five to 10 days off their sentence for every month they complete, Darling has said.

Carter was awaiting a decision from the parole board about her request made on Sept. 19, a separate issue from her good time off early release from the prison. bbm

Darling told Radar that the parole department contacted the prison a few weeks prior to the hearing and inquired how Carter’s stay behind bars has gone so far.

[...]

“They ask us what she’s been doing while she’s here and if there have been any disciplinary problems, which there haven’t,” Darling noted.

“She has attended programs. She has worked inside the jail,” Darling continued, explaining the “model inmate has caused “no trouble — no fights, no gangs, and she’s been polite to our staff.”

Carter earned her good time off by attending classes and holding down a job behind bars.

“I know she was working in the kitchen at one point,” said Darling.

Michelle Carter appears before parole board to appeal for early release seven months into sentence | Daily Mail Online

Michelle Carter, convicted in texting suicide case, seeks early release from prison

Felon Michelle Carter appears before parole board to get her sentence reduced. She will appear before board today, no time given. She has been a “model prisoner” per daily mail.

She was sentenced Feb 2019 for 15 months, she has served 7 months. Hearing is closed to public.

Lawyers still waiting on the appeal to the Supreme Court.

Also from the link above:

A decision was not announced by presiding officials at the closing of today's closed door hearing. It's unclear when a ruling might be made, as there's no formal deadline for such proceedings.

A decision is typically made in writing and won't require another appearance by Carter.

MC sentence is being served at women’s center of the Bristol County House Correction, in Dartmouth. Maximum 106 women - residential type facility, is actually better than some college dorm conditions. MOO

Bristol County Sheriff's Office Women’s Center
400 Faunce Corner Road
North Dartmouth, MA 02747
Phone: 508-995-6400

This facility houses a maximum of 106 women in a medium security setting on the site of the Dartmouth Complex. This self contained facility offers a Residential Substance Abuse Treatment Program. Participants are housed in a separate unit, with a very structured treatment or work schedule. A certified Adult Education Teacher provides access to Pre-GED and GED classes for women. A federal grant program aimed at victims of domestic violence provides counseling and safe reentry plan development for incarcerated victims. A vocational education Culinary Arts Program prepares women for work in the food service industry. Programs and Services staff schedule and facilitate a variety of Programs such as: Parenting, Life Skills, HIV Prevention and Awareness, Anger Management, AA, NA, and faith based services.

Bristol County Sheriff's Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members