GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a joke defense is right now trying their motion to dismiss !

I find this interesting coming on the heels of our smart sleuths finding the Glee speech by Michele Lea and the defendant's usage of that speech. Things that make you go hmm.

Just recessed until 11 est to allow judge to deliberate on motion to dismiss
I watch on lawnewz.com

I think, imo, this will be dismissed with some kind of condition or requirement attached. The defense has stressed that in Massachusetts there is no law against assisting or aiding in a suicide. I have more to say, but won't at this time, but may later. Although what Carter did is absolutely sociopathic/psychopathic (imo (and I am not a professional so it is only opinion), the only way I can see that the judge may rule against her is that she coerced him to get back into the truck/shamed him almost to do so. Conrad made a "promise" to her, in writing (via text) and Carter reminded him he could not break his promise. That's an odd twist as well, considering aiding him to fulfill his promise to commit suicide is aiding him to kill himself and there is no law in MA for aiding/assisting (as the defense hammers this and free speech).

I hope I am wrong, on so many levels, even though it may trigger new regulations in regard to free speech, in that telling someone in text, for example, "to go jump in a lake" may have serious consequences if they actually do it and drown in the process holding a cellphone with that last text from someone who texted those words.

Sad case, my heart goes out to the family of Conrad for they will ache for not having an empathetic being helping him live instead of helping him die.

Also, I wanted to ask, before I commented on something--how does one get verification of what I may comment as valid and true? I didn't want to share anymore until I do so. Thanks.

I am so glad I am wrong. The motion to dismiss is denied.

I think, imo, this will be dismissed with some kind of condition or requirement attached. The defense has stressed that in Massachusetts there is no law against assisting or aiding in a suicide. I have more to say, but won't at this time, but may later. Although what Carter did is absolutely sociopathic/psychopathic (imo (and I am not a professional so it is only opinion), the only way I can see that the judge may rule against her is that she coerced him to get back into the truck/shamed him almost to do so. Conrad made a "promise" to her, in writing (via text) and Carter reminded him he could not break his promise. That's an odd twist as well, considering aiding him to fulfill his promise to commit suicide is aiding him to kill himself and there is no law in MA for aiding/assisting (as the defense hammers this and free speech).

I hope I am wrong, on so many levels, even though it may trigger new regulations in regard to free speech, in that telling someone in text, for example, "to go jump in a lake" may have serious consequences if they actually do it and drown in the process holding a cellphone with that last text from someone who texted those words.

Sad case, my heart goes out to the family of Conrad for they will ache for not having an empathetic being helping him live instead of helping him die.

Also, I wanted to ask, before I commented on something--how does one get verification of what I may comment as valid and true? I didn't want to share anymore until I do so. Thanks.

HRP here is the link that has the instructions for verification:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...n-Process-for-Professional-or-Insider-Posters

Thanks for your excellant sleuthing!

HRP here is the link that has the instructions for verification:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...n-Process-for-Professional-or-Insider-Posters

Thanks for your excellant sleuthing!

Thanks so much for the link and kind words, but I am not an expert.

I suppose I could frame my comments as alleged or imo or frame them as "I believe".

What I wanted to confirm was that my experience actually can be documented as being true.

This case chills me to my bones, on so many levels. And I wonder, in cases where a defendant who is charged for a crime against someone close (a friend, family member, spouse, lover), if, in States such as Massachusetts, where aiding and assisting in a suicide is NOT a crime, the defendant can assist and aid in the suicide (or appearance of a suicide) of their victim to free them of the charges against them.

This is what happened to me. A person was charged by the State of Massachusetts with assault and battery against me. And in every way, imagine them all, (considering the person was my spouse), I was given every invitation, by words, by actions, by staging emotionally painful situations (horrific), to get me to the state of wanting to end it all. I even took a trip via the ambulance with a mysterious toxic affect (whereby the hospital failed in obtaining toxicology reports), which I believe my (now ex) spouse caused via daily dosing me with increasing amounts of a drug through sudden acts of "affection" by making me "special" morning coffees. IF I had killed myself, (and I wanted to many times but endured and coped), he would walk away--I was the State's witness.

What I wanted confirmed is that my ex spouse's attorney was the same as Carter's. I am not saying this was his defense strategy, but my ex certainly knew of this loophole with which to clean his record. This is my opinion and does not infer any wrongdoing by any defense attorney. It's just an odd and strange coincidence, that is all it is.

But I wanted to say, it would have helped and benefitted my ex immensely if I had just died by a check off of "suicide" by a pathologist.

My ex is a sociopath. For those who do not know, there is no "cure" for sociopaths/psychopaths. They exist to benefit themselves, their causes, their beliefs, their lives.

<snipped for space and focus>

BBM

Someone posted the link to becoming a verified insider...that's for someone who knows one or more of the people involved in a case. I'm not sure if that is what you're asking though. If you're asking how to verify to us that what you are posting is fact and not rumor or opinion, you need to provide an internet link to a valid source...mainstream media (MSM), legal document, etc. Blogs by individuals or quotes from other forums are considered opinion and not fact. There is a post somewhere on WS explaining this, as well as rules for using social media info.

The reason your post about Glee was questioned is that you didn't supply a link for us to check the validity of the text from MC that was parallel to the Glee quote. You did reference where to find the Glee quote, but a link would be better because it's easier for us to check. Needless to say, I took it and ran with it to the DA even without links because I figured they have staff to check on it and it was urgent. :)

BBM

Someone posted the link to becoming a verified insider...that's for someone who knows one or more of the people involved in a case. I'm not sure if that is what you're asking though. If you're asking how to verify to us that what you are posting is fact and not rumor or opinion, you need to provide an internet link to a valid source...mainstream media (MSM), legal document, etc. Blogs by individuals or quotes from other forums are considered opinion and not fact. There is a post somewhere on WS explaining this, as well as rules for using social media info.

The reason your post about Glee was questioned is that you didn't supply a link for us to check the validity of the text from MC that was parallel to the Glee quote. You did reference where to find the Glee quote, but a link would be better because it's easier for us to check. Needless to say, I took it and ran with it to the DA even without links because I figured they have staff to check on it and it was urgent. :)

I posted the Glee information quickly and posted more after finding this new thread. I also did not think it wise on my part to communicate with the DA considering my history with the defense attorney.

I suppose I could frame my comments as alleged or imo or frame them as "I believe".

What I wanted to confirm was that my experience actually can be documented as being true.

This case chills me to my bones, on so many levels. And I wonder, in cases where a defendant who is charged for a crime against someone close (a friend, family member, spouse, lover), if, in States such as Massachusetts, where aiding and assisting in a suicide is NOT a crime, the defendant can assist and aid in the suicide (or appearance of a suicide) of their victim to free them of the charges against them.

This is what happened to me. A person was charged by the State of Massachusetts with assault and battery against me. And in every way, imagine them all, (considering the person was my spouse), I was given every invitation, by words, by actions, by staging emotionally painful situations (horrific), to get me to the state of wanting to end it all. I even took a trip via the ambulance with a mysterious toxic affect (whereby the hospital failed in obtaining toxicology reports), which I believe my (now ex) spouse caused via daily dosing me with increasing amounts of a drug through sudden acts of "affection" by making me "special" morning coffees. IF I had killed myself, (and I wanted to many times but endured and coped), he would walk away--I was the State's witness.

What I wanted confirmed is that my ex spouse's attorney was the same as Carter's. I am not saying this was his defense strategy, but my ex certainly knew of this loophole with which to clean his record. This is my opinion and does not infer any wrongdoing by any defense attorney. It's just an odd and strange coincidence, that is all it is.

But I wanted to say, it would have helped and benefitted my ex immensely if I had just died by a check off of "suicide" by a pathologist.

My ex is a sociopath. For those who do not know, there is no "cure" for sociopaths/psychopaths. They exist to benefit themselves, their causes, their beliefs, their lives.

HRP I am so glad you were able to get out of that situation. I and I am sorry for what your ex did to you, no one deserves to be treated like that.

I am also very happy that you have joined us here at WS you will be a great asset to the group with your understanding and experience.

Officially: :welcome:

Now I understand what you're asking. My reply was about your Glee post. I'm so sorry about all you went through. Yikes! I'm glad you endured and came out victorious.

What you can do is get a mod's opinion about what you wrote by using the red triangle in the lower left corner to "report" your own post. You can ask if what you wrote is within the rules. If not, a mod may "snip" the specific info you gave.

Personally, I think what you said is fine and falls under just being a "local" insider, which doesn't require verification. For example, I live in a town that has had a couple of cases on WS. I can freely comment about locations, explain town geography and culture, but not local rumor. I can mention my confidence in the local police department, based on my observations over the years....things like that. But I can't discuss anything personal I might know about individuals involved, unless I'm a verified insider. You didn't make any disparaging comments in your comment, so I would say you did fine. But that's JMO and a mod can tell you for sure.

And a belated :welcome:

I posted the Glee information quickly and posted more after finding this new thread. I also did not think it wise on my part to communicate with the DA considering my history with the defense attorney.

Yes, I saw the link you posted later on this thread, and thank you for doing that. I totally understand why you wouldn't want to contact the D.A. You did great making sure we saw the parallels between the text and Glee! We took it from there. :)

I like the prosecutor. She's feisty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for jumping in HRP and welcome!
I look forward to your insight in this horrendous case.

hi everyone. i am late and see we are adjourned. any testimony I MUST watch?

I have watched every second of the trial since Tuesday, very compelling because of its nearly unprecedented nature. I have to say, trying to take in the trial from the perspective of an unbiased juror, I think the defense has done a pretty poor job, hell, Michael McCarthy's defense lawyers are doing a better job with him with his trial.

While Carter's actions can be argued at length, I think the prosecution has proven to me that she deserves some sort of punishment for sure. It has been an infuriating 3 days of testimony, at the very least she was impeding on an investigation while being very well aware of where Conrad was while he was missing, what he had done, and her very active role in the suicide. She had a clear motive, determination, and awareness that watch she had done was wrong...The defense only had a few compelling points...

but, bottom line, from all of the information I've gathered during this trial it's quite obvious to me that I am certain were it not for Michelle Carter, Conrad Roy would not have committed suicide on that specific night in question. Period.

To be totally fair, the defense just started their presentation. But I think the prosecution's case is stronger.

I am so glad I am wrong. The motion to dismiss is denied.

The case is not being prosecuted as an "assisted suicide". It is being prosecuted as involuntary manslaughter - that she did something reckless that caused a death, without justification.

Assisted suicides, however, are still illegal in MA.

http://www.patientsrightscouncil.org/site/massachusetts/

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20170110/ag-okeefe-seek-dismissal-of-right-to-die-case

The defense has been trying to dismiss this case from the get go and their efforts made it all the way up to the Massachusetts Supreme Court which rules against the defense.

Motions to dismiss when the prosecution rests are par for the course and it is ridiculously rare that they are granted.

Wow!! The Lady Justice site is gr-r-r-reat! Thanks for the link and many, many thanks to Lady Justice!!!

I've just come to this thread and after reading several of the communications back and forth I cannot read any more.

I have had up close and personal experience losing two friends to suicide over the years and living in the aftermath. The pain for the families is unlike anything anyone can imagine. Friends and family would have done ANYTHING to save their loved ones lives.

This girl is a monster and deserves to be punished. There is something very very wrong with her and I see her as extremely dangerous.

This is a terrible case.

MOO

To be totally fair, the defense just started their presentation. But I think the prosecution's case is stronger.

The case is not being prosecuted as an "assisted suicide". It is being prosecuted as involuntary manslaughter - that she did something reckless that caused a death, without justification.

Assisted suicides, however, are still illegal in MA.

http://www.patientsrightscouncil.org/site/massachusetts/

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20170110/ag-okeefe-seek-dismissal-of-right-to-die-case

The defense has been trying to dismiss this case from the get go and their efforts made it all the way up to the Massachusetts Supreme Court which rules against the defense.

Motions to dismiss when the prosecution rests are par for the course and it is ridiculously rare that they are granted.

Please watch Cataldo explain on a CNN broadcast how he sees (and believes the court will see) the case:

I will transcribe what he said for you and others:

"I see this as, eh, ah, I think the court will see it as an encouragement case. Massachusetts does not have a law, like some States have, making it a criminal act to assist or encourage suicide. Massachusetts has no such law. Our legislature has decided not to enact such legislation. So this is a case where somebody planned his own death over a lengthy period of time, had previously tried to kill themself, with acetaminophen, almost needed a liver transplant, and had planned this all out."

The above verbatim transcript excerpt came from the CNN link below (start at :40 in the CNN video):

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/08/us/text-message-suicide-michelle-carter-conrad-roy/index.html
---

Also, I'd like to thank everyone for the welcome by those who were so kind. Much appreciated and heartfelt thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10