Identified! MA - Granby, off Route 116, WhtFem 15-26, UP14969, shallow grave, clothes, gold ring, Nov'78 - Patricia Ann Tucker

MaedchenX I'm pretty sure the same drug activity that goes on now was present in 1978 on Route 116. I think 47 has become more of a problem recently since rural places in Franklin County have had an increase in drug use.

I have also mentioned to Believe that this was a major hitchhiking spot, not just for students but for others traveling through the area. Even relatives of mine hitchhiked through the area during the same time period because they felt it was "safe". Overall though aside from student related arrests the immediate area was and still is a relatively low crime area.

The area where 116 meets Amherst Street is wooded and not in the sight of other houses although as previously mentioned cars, buses, and trucks are frequently on this road.

So if I'm understanding the chart correctly a 14/16 in 1978 would be closer to a size 8/10/12 today? That's about 135-155 pounds on a girl who is 5'4" and an average frame. The chart is a little deceiving I think because the weight does depend on build. I personally am 25 pounds heavier than what the chart says someone in my clothing size should be but I have a large frame. All that being said I think there's a good possibility that UID was somewhere between 130-160 pounds which is thinner than I had originally thought. That really opens things up quite a bit as I personally was looking for someone heavier than that.

MaedchenX I'm pretty sure the same drug activity that goes on now was present in 1978 on Route 116. I think 47 has become more of a problem recently since rural places in Franklin County have had an increase in drug use.

I have also mentioned to Believe that this was a major hitchhiking spot, not just for students but for others traveling through the area. Even relatives of mine hitchhiked through the area during the same time period because they felt it was "safe". Overall though aside from student related arrests the immediate area was and still is a relatively low crime area.

The area where 116 meets Amherst Street is wooded and not in the sight of other houses although as previously mentioned cars, buses, and trucks are frequently on this road.

So guys, is she shot in the vehicle or somewhere else and dumped? Given the descriptions you are giving, it is hard for me to imagine that they got out and then she was shot, then dragged....lots of risk there of being seen.

Another thought came to me-given the state of decomp and the, uh, potential lack of intensive investigation into her identity, how do they know her body size? She could have been wearing someone else's shirt...thrift store or hand me down. Wish we had a picture of the clothes.

So guys, is she shot in the vehicle or somewhere else and dumped? Given the descriptions you are giving, it is hard for me to imagine that they got out and then she was shot, then dragged....lots of risk there of being seen.

You make a good point, and I would tend to agree that this was a dump site rather than a crime scene. Particularly after the clarification from LE than the location where the victim was found was not nearly as far back as 1/2 mile. Not that it couldn't be done without being observed, because I would think 116 is especially heavily traveled late at night, and I don't believe the street to be terribly well lit, if at all on that particular stretch. Not to mention there is, at least currently, a private shooting range that borders one side of the state park (the sound of gun shots is frequent during the day and can be disconcerting when hiking) and an actively mined rock quarry on the other side (<modsnip: broken link>). Though I have no idea if either of these were fixtures of the area back in '78.

Hmg, thanks for clarifying that the area is where 116 and Amherst Street meet, after looking again at a map I realized I was thinking about the two being synonymous rather than the distinction of where Amherst Street turns off into Granby. I looked the area up on Zillow to get a better appreciation from an aerial perspective (276 Amherst St, Granby, MA 01033 | Zillow). I is definitely further down from toward South Hadley than I envisioned. I also agree with your assessment of the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking that it's probably a dump site. The area is wooded but crowded enough where I don't think someone would shoot someone there. Being a college area the traffic patterns are unpredictable even very late at night and if the body was dragged far that means she'd have to be shot close to the road. There's a chance someone might do that but it seems really risky.

has anyone else been able to find any news articles from 1978 on the UID? i have been searching, but to no avail. big news around the same time was a jet crash...could that have overshadowed press (thus impeding id)?

I have not found much at the point the UID was found with the exception of a short article in the Hartford Currant, but I did find quite a few articles that mentioned her throughout the '90s and '00s through the Springfield Republican/ Union News. I might venture into the microfilm at the library if I ever have time. In researching several cases around WMass I have found that except for a few high profile cases the news about missing and unidentified victims is scarce from that time period.

Chief Barry is sending someone to the archive, so there is going to be a full scale search for the file. I am impressed by his unwillingness to let it lie, so to speak. I am not sure when the record search will be and what will be found, but if I hear, I will let you know.

that's awesome! with more information, hopefully a match can be made.

big thanks to the Chief!

wtg!

I was thinking about something...maybe we should keep a running log of the articles uncovered regarding her. In the event that the Chief cannot locate the file, maybe we can point him to local media for back-up...you never know if someone stumbles on a sketch or a media released photo of the clothing/dump site, how helpful that might be. Or, truth be told, even if he does come across her file, maybe the articles will be helpful in terms of having information that might not be well documented...

I'm planning on going to the college today or at the latest tomorrow to sift through some local papers both online and the microfilm. I will keep copies of whatever I find.

Okey Dokey, guys-

I spoke with Simone Ridinger's detective-what a nice guy. The most distinct difference between Simone and the UID is that Simone had near perfect teeth...and our girl had dental decay in her front teeth. HMMM....I put him together with Granby's chief in an email however so we will see what happens once the Chief obtains the record from the archives.

Simone's case is a heartbreaker-her mother would visit the detectives at the start of hunting season every year just in case her body was found....her parents have passed and she has no siblings so DNA is out. Dentals will ID her in the end.

Nice note from Simone Ridinger's detective today-he will close the loop directly with Granby next week. I will let you know if I hear anything...

What a sad case re: Simone Stephanie Ridinger. Thank you so much Believe for tying up that end of the case.

Seeing as this is probably not Ms. Ridinger, we might want to start going through the databases looking for missing women between 1977-September 1978, keeping an eye out for poor dental care and long blonde/light brown hair.

hmg, wondering if you could ask LE in Granby if they ever did a rule out on Grace. Her home was only a few hours away from where Doe was found, and the suspect in her disappearance had a good knowledge of the surrounding area.

i contacted her sister (what a wonderful spirit!) and she had some more information on Grace which suggests her hair could have been color treated....and also a few possible explanations for the tooth decay or appearance of.

the timeline is so close and there are so many details that keep niggling at me, i would love to know for sure...

I would be willing to do this or perhaps Believe since you have already had contact with the Chief you could? Is the contact info for LE in Grace's case on the Doe Network still valid? Det. Sgt. Gerald H. Charboneau is the contact listed there.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back