MA MA - James W Rogers, 14, Hanson, 18 Oct 1981

Mysteries1974

Martha Jean Lambert - Missing since 1985
Reaction score
James W. Rogers
  • james_w._rogers_1.jpg
  • james_w._rogers_2.jpg
James, circa 1981; Age-progression to age 26 (circa 1992)

• Missing Since10/18/1981
  • Missing FromHanson, Massachusetts
  • ClassificationNon-Family Abduction
  • Date of Birth11/12/1966 (52)
  • Age14 years old
  • Height and Weight5'2 - 5'3, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA brown leather jacket, tan pants and blue sneakers.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. James has a one-inch chicken pox scar under his right eye. He has a cleft in his chin. James does not have a pectoral muscle on the right side of his chest. His upper front teeth are large and spaced apart. James speaks with a New England accent. His nickname is Jimmy.
Details of Disappearance
James called a friend on October 18, 1981 and said he was going to hitchhike to the friend's home from his residence in Halifax, Massachusetts.

Investigators have been unable to find evidence that he accepted a ride and it's possible that James ended up walking to his intended destination and traveled through nearby Cranberry Bogs. He never arrived at his friend's house and has not been heard from again.

James was a newspaper carrier at the time of his 1981 disappearance. He resided in the 10 block of Lakeside Road in Hanson, Massachusetts when he went missing; Hanson police are investigating his disappearance.

Authorities initially believed he left of his own accord, but foul play is now considered a possibility in his case.
Investigating Agency
Source Information
Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated August 9, 2006; clothing description and alternate height added, details of disappearance updated.

JRogers.jpg
JRogers1.jpg

Above: James Rogers in 1981 (left) and an age-progressed image to 26, circa 1992 (right)

James W. Rogers

Last seen in Hanson, Plymouth County, Massachusetts on October 18, 1981

Vital statistics: White male. Born on November 12, 1966. Brown hair, brown eyes. He has a chicken pox scar under his right eye, does not have a pectoral muscle on the right side of his chest and his upper front teeth are large-sized and spaced apart. He speaks with a New England accent. Was fourteen at the time.

Circumstances: He called a friend on October 18, 1981 and stated he planned to hitchhike to the person's home. He never arrived and has not been seen or heard from since. He may have traveled through the nearby cranberry bogs. Classified as a Non-Family Abduction.

Reason for inclusion: Rogers' case was closed in 2004.

Contact info: Hanson Police Department at 617-294-8081

Link: Jahi's Pages, Page Six

Just came across this local missing case and this is one I never heard of?? Interesting how LE feels foul play is a possibility

The Doe Network:
Case File 97DMMA

JRogers.jpg
JRogers1.jpg

Left: Rogers, circa 1981; Right: Age-progressed image of Rogers to age 26 (circa 1992)

James W. Rogers
Missing since October 18, 1981 from Hanson, Plymouth County, Massachusetts.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: November 12, 1966
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 110 pounds
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown, wavy hair of medium length; brown eyes. He speaks with a New English accent.
    • Marks, Scars: Rogers has a chicken pox scar under his right eye. He does not have a pectoral muscle on the right side of his chest.
    • Clothing: He was last seen wearing a brown leather jacket, tan pants and blue sneakers.
    • Dentals: Rogers' upper front teeth are large and spaced apart.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Rogers called a friend on October 18, 1981 and stated he planned to hitchhike to the friend's home in Halifax, about 10 miles south of Hanson.
Rogers never arrived and has not been seen or heard from since. Police said they had found no evidence that the boy had been able to get a ride.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Rogers' case, please contact:
Hanson Police Department
617-294-8081

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

NCIC Number:
M-941809490
Please refer to this number when contacting agencies with information regarding this case.

Source Information: The Missing Children...HELP Center
The Doe Network: Case File 97DMMA

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

97DMMA- James W. Rogers
97DMMA - James W. Rogers
JRogers.jpg
JRogers1.jpg

The image on the right has been age-progressed to 26

Name: James W. Rogers
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: October 18, 1981
Location Last Seen: Hanson, Plymouth County, Massachusetts.

Physical Description
Date of Birth: November 12, 1966
Race: White
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 110 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown, Wavy, Shoulder length hair
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Upper front teeth are large and spaced apart

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: He was last seen wearing a brown leather jacket, tan pants and blue sneakers
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Rogers called a friend on October 18, 1981 and stated he planned to hitchhike to the friend's home in Halifax, about 10 miles south of Hanson. Rogers never arrived and has not been seen or heard from since. Police said they had found no evidence that the boy had been able to get a ride.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Hanson Police Department
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 617-294-8081
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: N/A

NCIC Case Number: M-941809490
NamUs Case Number: Unknown

Information Source(s)
For the Lost Blog

Admin Notes
Added: Prior to 2011; Last Updated: 11/21/17

Questions or comments? Please contact appropriate member of the Area Team

** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.

Return Home

I just noticed his age is listed as nine years old on the Doe network posting. I believe that should be corrected to 15 years old.

Again, this one doesn’t have a lot of information out there. Hanson and Halifax are down on the south east part of Massachusetts, there are cranberry bogs in the area. The towns are also landlocked between routes 3 and 24.

As far as I can tell, James isn't in NamUs. Should / could someone submit his case?

Is his last name misspelled in the title?

As far as I can tell, James isn't in NamUs. Should / could someone submit his case?

Is his last name misspelled in the title?
I tried submitting him but they wouldn’t put it up. I think they removed the submission within the same day I sent it in. I believe that’s due to his case being closed.

I tried submitting him but they wouldn’t put it up. I think they removed the submission within the same day I sent it in. I believe that’s due to his case being closed.

Thank you for trying. I find that to be a real shame.

So does that mean it will be much more difficult to match him to any Unidentifieds :(?

I don’t understand, why is his case closed?

I thought the police never close an unsolved case, even if they're not actively investigating it?

If he was hitchhiking, anyone could've nabbed him and we'll never know.
I've seen the cranberry bogs mentioned. Is it possible he could've taken a tumble there?

Also, what an unflattering age-progression pic. When I first saw it, I assumed it was a composite of a possible suspect!

Someone on Reddit theorized that James was victim of an unidentified serial killer.

I also submitted his case to NamUs over the weekend, but it was deleted as per other attempts, most likely because his case is closed.

The only time I have seen files, on rare occasions, being closed on a still missing person case is when an underaged person, considered by LE to be a runaway, has aged up and become an adult (note: this was in cases from the 90s and earlier). Obviously, this is not the case here as his case was closed in 2004.

I’ll do some research and see if I can come up with an explanation as to whether he is still missing or another reason is responsible for his case being closed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back