MA MA - Joan Risch, 30, Lincoln, 24 Oct 1961

It was risky. The houses in the neighborhood aren't close together and there are a lot of trees around. There wasn't a lot of traffic on the road, but cars did drive by.

There's no Google Map view of the street, but this link is the intersection where the Risch's street intersected with a bigger road.

Google Maps

According to what I could find, there was, surprisingly, a fair amount of traffic on Old Bedford Road. Largely, OBR was used as a cut-through from Route 2A for people going to or coming back from Hanscom Field. According to Martin, Joan didn't like to walk her children on the road and didn't allow them to cross the road without her being with them. That was particularly true during commuter hours.

From what I could gather, Old Bedford Road (OBR) was surprisingly busy, particularly during commuting hours. OBR was used as a cut-through by people heading to and from Hanscom Field. According to Martin Risch, Joan didn't like walking with her children along OBR, and she didn't let her children cross the road unless she was with them.

State Detective Lieutenant George Harnois, who led the Risch investigation in 1961, was quoted in a (@) December 10, 1961 Boston Globe article saying that the police had found the car that had been at the end of Joan's driveway on October 24th. Unfortunately, they didn't find any worthwhile forensic evidence from the car.

Interestingly, the car had been stolen from a Medford MA man, although the date of the theft was not provided. Five witnesses had previously told police that they had seen the car in the Risch driveway on October 24th. The Risch's regular milkman (1 of the 5) said that he had seen the same car in the Risch driveway on October 19, 1961, but that none of the Risch cars were in the driveway at the time (garage?).

Another witness actually gave the police a partial license plate for the mystery car. They used it to eventually find the car after weeks of searching. I think it's interesting that the witness who provided the partial number, gave it to a Boston Record American reporter, who, in turn, gave it to the police. As far as I can tell, the identity of that particular eyewitness never surfaced in the investigation (although I'd need to doublecheck that).

State Detective Lieutenant George Harnois, who led the Risch investigation in 1961, was quoted in a (@) December 10, 1961 Boston Globe article saying that the police had found the car that had been at the end of Joan's driveway on October 24th. Unfortunately, they didn't find any worthwhile forensic evidence from the car.

Interestingly, the car had been stolen from a Medford MA man, although the date of the theft was not provided. Five witnesses had previously told police that they had seen the car in the Risch driveway on October 24th. The Risch's regular milkman (1 of the 5) said that he had seen the same car in the Risch driveway on October 19, 1961, but that none of the Risch cars were in the driveway at the time (garage?).

Another witness actually gave the police a partial license plate for the mystery car. They used it to eventually find the car after weeks of searching. I think it's interesting that the witness who provided the partial number, gave it to a Boston Record American reporter, who, in turn, gave it to the police. As far as I can tell, the identity of that particular eyewitness never surfaced in the investigation (although I'd need to doublecheck that).

Very interesting. Thanks for that information. It needs to become part of the story about this case as it passes around on social media. Its often disappointing to spend time listening to a podcast or read someone's story about a case only to find halfway through that they've gotten a lot of facts wrong.

I can't imagine Risch's would be hanging out with car thieves. It almost sounds like someone was stalking her?

I was very impressed with the Stephen Ahern book, and as a New England native, was very impressed by the level of detail and research.

I think Joan’s family history is likely to be the key to the case, as theorized by Ahern. In Ahern’s book, A Kitchen Painted in Blood, Joan’s stepfather, now deceased, appears to have a history of molesting Joan, and her decision to write a letter about it to protect a younger relative may be the motive for an attack on Joan. Joan’s deceased foster/stepbrother James Benjamin “Ben” Nattrass, as discussed by Ahern, seems to be a viable suspect, working in concert with his father. I searched for Ben’s grave on the internet and found that he was buried in the small hamlet of Halcottsville, NY in the Catskill Mountains. See: James “Ben” Nattrass (1934-1987) - Find A Grave...

As Ahern noted, Ben died at 53, and may have had a criminal history. His post-1961 life may be interesting, especially if any criminal history can be found.

It is unfortunate that there’s a lack of preserved physical evidence. Perhaps her remains have been found, but not identified. If her children had their DNA in a database, perhaps some answers might emerge.

Last edited:
Missing for 60 years...

Joan Carolyn Risch
joan_carolyn_risch_1.jpg
joan_carolyn_risch_3.jpg
risch_joan4.jpg
risch_joan5.jpg
risch_joan6.jpg

Risch, circa 1961

• Missing Since 10/24/1961
  • Missing From Lincoln, Massachusetts
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/04/1931 (90)
  • Age 30 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7, 120 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A gray cloth coat (possibly Peck and Peck brand), a blouse, a sweater, a charcoal-colored wool skirt, blue sneakers with white piping, a slim platinum wedding band with five diamond chips, and possibly a scarf on her head. Her shoes have been variously described as blue high heels, flats, or sneakers with piping.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Risch's blood type is O. Her birth name was Joan Bard, and she was later adopted by a family named Nattrass and took that name; this was her maiden name. She has a filling in her left upper molar and her ears are pierced. When nervous she may break out in a red rash on her neck below her chin; the rash requires medication to clear.
Details of Disappearance

Risch was a homemaker in Lincoln, Massachusetts in 1961. She was married and had two children. The family had moved to Lincoln from Ridgefield, Connecticut about seven months before.

Her husband was out of town on a business trip on the day of her disappearance, October 24, 1961. She went with her four-year-old daughter to the dentist that morning, cashed a check and went shopping. She returned home for lunch at 11:00 a.m., put her two-year-old son in his crib for a nap. Her daughter played outside with a neighbor boy.

At 1:55 p.m., Risch took her daughter and the neighbor boy to his parents' home and left them at the swing set in the yard, without saying anything to the boy's parents. She told them she would be back, then returned home alone. At 2:15 p.m., a neighbor saw Risch standing next to her blue sedan outside the family's residence on Old Bedford Road. She was carrying something red and appeared to be dazed.

This is the last time anyone saw Risch. Her daughter came home from the neighbor's at 4:00 p.m., then immediately ran back to say that her mother was missing and "red paint" covered the kitchen walls. The "paint" turned out to be type O blood, Risch's type.

The Risches' telephone had been ripped from the kitchen wall and thrown in a wastebasket. The wastebasket had been moved from the corner to the center of the room, and a nearby telephone book was found opened at the emergency numbers section. There was a single bloody thumbprint on the phone mount, and two fingerprints and a partial palm print on the wall; they were not Risch's prints, and have never been identified. The only other sign of a struggle was an overturned chair in the kitchen. Risch's son was still in his crib upstairs.

The blood trail led from the baby's room to the kitchen and then outside to the Risch family' driveway, where it stopped near her parked car. Blood drops were found on the hood and trunk of the car itself, but there were no bloody footprints inside on the kitchen floor. There was no sign of Risch herself inside the residence.

Investigators thought there was about a pint of blood spread throughout the house. Someone had made efforts to clean up in the kitchen with paper towels and a pair of Risch's son's coveralls.

Witnesses reported seeing an unidentified dirty blue/gray 1954 or 1955 sedan parked behind Risch's car in the Risches' driveway at 3:20 p.m. the day of the disappearance. Drivers also saw a woman walking along the road where Route 128 was under construction later in the day. No one stopped to assist the unidentified female, who was disheveled, appeared confused or dazed, and was holding something against her abdomen. Blood was running down the backs of her legs.

After these initial reports, sightings of Risch ceased. She has never been heard from again.

Risch's husband was in New York on October 24 for a business trip; he had left early that morning. He was questioned by investigators but was cleared of any involvement in her disappearance. Authorities did learn that Risch checked out over 25 library books during the previous summer, all of them related to murder or unexplained disappearances. Her husband described her as an avid reader who enjoyed suspense stories.

Some people theorized that Risch chose to stage her own disappearance because she was unhappy with her life. She had worked in the publishing field in New York prior to her marriage. She chose to end her career to raise her family. Although many described her as a devoted mother who had a happy marriage and was deeply attached to her husband and children, some friends claimed Risch was very ambitious and was not fulfilled with her home life.

Others speculated Risch was attacked and was suffering from amnesia as a result. Another hypothesis in the same vein is that Risch was not assaulted at all, but simply suffered an episode of some type and left her residence.

Both of these theories could suggest the possibility that Risch wandered into a pit on the Route 128 construction site the night she disappeared and was unknowingly buried. She has no history of amnesiac experiences, however, and no history of mental illness in either herself or her family.

Newspaper reports from 1961 state that Risch may have been sexually abused as a child. Another account stated that her parents died in a strange fire in New Jersey in 1940, when Risch was nine years old; she was raised by an aunt and uncle after that. Both of these reports suggest that she may have had personal reasons for wanting to stage her disappearance.

Risch was born in Brooklyn, New York, and graduated from Wilson College in Pennsylvania in 1952, with a degree in English. Her case remains open and unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Lincoln Police Department 781-259-8111
Source Information

I was very impressed with the Stephen Ahern book, and as a New England native, was very impressed by the level of detail and research.

I think Joan’s family history is likely to be the key to the case, as theorized by Ahern. In Ahern’s book, A Kitchen Painted in Blood, Joan’s stepfather, now deceased, appears to have a history of molesting Joan, and her decision to write a letter about it to protect a younger relative may be the motive for an attack on Joan. Joan’s deceased foster/stepbrother James Benjamin “Ben” Nattrass, as discussed by Ahern, seems to be a viable suspect, working in concert with his father. I searched for Ben’s grave on the internet and found that he was buried in the small hamlet of Halcottsville, NY in the Catskill Mountains. See: James “Ben” Nattrass (1934-1987) - Find A Grave...

As Ahern noted, Ben died at 53, and may have had a criminal history. His post-1961 life may be interesting, especially if any criminal history can be found.

It is unfortunate that there’s a lack of preserved physical evidence. Perhaps her remains have been found, but not identified. If her children had their DNA in a database, perhaps some answers might emerge.

I also recently read that book, its very good, well researched. I'd recommend it to anyone interested. Yes, it does point to Joan's family relations and allegations of sexual abuse, including recent activity on her part to prevent the same thing happening to a younger relative.

It was interesting that LE tracked down the car w/ partial license plate number seen by a witness, but the lead went nowhere. JMO, I thought they could have further investigated the person who was in possession of the car.

For me, the most compelling evidence involved the searches with scent detecting dogs. They used them quite extensively. The dogs tracked Joan's scent out of the house, down the driveway, across the street to the neighbor's house and back to her house. Other than Joan's known activity in her own yard and to the neighbor's across the street, there was nothing. They took the dogs down the street in both directions, behind her house, but found no scent. This indicates she left the house in a vehicle, as suspected.

LE also used the dogs to search around town in the spots where people reported seeing a woman staggering, wearing a coat, etc. walking along some roads. The dogs found no trace of Joan's scent in those areas. That discounts the reports of seeing Joan wandering around the area with blood, holding her stomach. Witnesses may have seen someone, but it wasn't Joan.

JMO, the most likely explanations involve someone attacking Joan in her home, then taking her elsewhere where she was probably killed and her body disposed of.

I still wish there was more follow up on the person living in town whose car was in Joan's driveway. That person wasn't linked to Joan's family member in any way. That's the "smoking gun". Why was that person's car in Joan's driveway at the time of her disappearance?

This case fascinates me. Thank you for the book recommendation. I just ordered it.

What a fascinating read! Up to the last page, I thought I have a differing theory to offer, but the scent dogs not finding a trace outside her property change a lot IMO.

What a fascinating read! Up to the last page, I thought I have a differing theory to offer, but the scent dogs not finding a trace outside her property change a lot IMO.

Ahern’s book is on my to read list, but I have always been of the theory that she somehow got put into a car and driven elsewhere. That is why I believe the dogs could not pick up percent past her house. To me, I have always felt the key is the blue car. I find it interesting that law-enforcement kept dismissing high school girls identification of the car and the time was incorrect. I can almost hear them saying, “ young lady are you sure about that.” However, they seem to not push as hard on the mailman that saw the same car A week or two before. In addition, I freely admit I have a bias towards eyewitness accounts. You’ll laugh at the self-serving comment but I think it’s due to myself having a pretty good photographic memory. In my opinion you have three independent eyewitness accounts. I don’t get hung up on the small details like whether the persons coat was Gray or blue, or if the time was 15 or 20 minutes off. what I’m saying is that the eyewitnesses saw something and it sure sounds like Joan.

Oh, I did not read the book, I was talking about this thread. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am with you regarding the eyewitnesses, there may be discrepancies about, say, the color of the car or the time it was seen, but I do not doubt there was a car.

I was thinking about the blood, and how it just seems assumed it was hers. But as far as I know, in these times it was really only possible to determine blood types, and blood type 0 is the most common. (There are some more parameters that could also be analysed back then, but the most importantquestion for this case - was it vaginal blood? - was ruled out, as of a few pages back.) If I remember correctly ~40% of people are type 0. That got me thinking, what if she was not the victim, what if it was not her blood? Maybe her "holding something red" on the way to the car was getting rid of evidence, and maybe she herself drove the other car away, hid it somewhere (wood, water) and walked back along the road. The blood seen on her legs could have come from handling an injured person or contaminated things, there could have been more stains hidden under her coat or not as visible on a different color of clothing. Maybe she wanted to go back home to finish cleaning up, but was too afraid or saw LE already there?

But the dogs not picking up a scent in the places where she was allegedly seen makes that theory more improbable.

Oh, I did not read the book, I was talking about this thread. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am with you regarding the eyewitnesses, there may be discrepancies about, say, the color of the car or the time it was seen, but I do not doubt there was a car.

I was thinking about the blood, and how it just seems assumed it was hers. But as far as I know, in these times it was really only possible to determine blood types, and blood type 0 is the most common. (There are some more parameters that could also be analysed back then, but the most importantquestion for this case - was it vaginal blood? - was ruled out, as of a few pages back.) If I remember correctly ~40% of people are type 0. That got me thinking, what if she was not the victim, what if it was not her blood? Maybe her "holding something red" on the way to the car was getting rid of evidence, and maybe she herself drove the other car away, hid it somewhere (wood, water) and walked back along the road. The blood seen on her legs could have come from handling an injured person or contaminated things, there could have been more stains hidden under her coat or not as visible on a different color of clothing. Maybe she wanted to go back home to finish cleaning up, but was too afraid or saw LE already there?

But the dogs not picking up a scent in the places where she was allegedly seen makes that theory more improbable.

The eyewitness report of seeing Joan on a road somewhere with something like blood on her legs apparently accurate. Police used the same scent dogs who tracked Joan in her own yard to search for her scent in the area where this alleged sighting took place. Her scent wasn't anywhere in the area and it was searched for quite a distance along the road. For that reason, police discounted the eyewitness report.

The neighbor across the street who saw Joan several times and who was watching her daughter never saw Joan with blood on her legs or any other part of her body.

Also, how would Joan have driven someone else's car away from her home, after that person had likely injured her. Would she have left her attacker/abductor alone in her home having stolen his keys. Would he have not pursued her? If she were attacked by someone in her home and managed to get the attackers keys away from him to drive herself away, why would she still be missing?

I also recently read that book, its very good, well researched. I'd recommend it to anyone interested. Yes, it does point to Joan's family relations and allegations of sexual abuse, including recent activity on her part to prevent the same thing happening to a younger relative.

It was interesting that LE tracked down the car w/ partial license plate number seen by a witness, but the lead went nowhere. JMO, I thought they could have further investigated the person who was in possession of the car.

For me, the most compelling evidence involved the searches with scent detecting dogs. They used them quite extensively. The dogs tracked Joan's scent out of the house, down the driveway, across the street to the neighbor's house and back to her house. Other than Joan's known activity in her own yard and to the neighbor's across the street, there was nothing. They took the dogs down the street in both directions, behind her house, but found no scent. This indicates she left the house in a vehicle, as suspected.

LE also used the dogs to search around town in the spots where people reported seeing a woman staggering, wearing a coat, etc. walking along some roads. The dogs found no trace of Joan's scent in those areas. That discounts the reports of seeing Joan wandering around the area with blood, holding her stomach. Witnesses may have seen someone, but it wasn't Joan.

JMO, the most likely explanations involve someone attacking Joan in her home, then taking her elsewhere where she was probably killed and her body disposed of.

I still wish there was more follow up on the person living in town whose car was in Joan's driveway. That person wasn't linked to Joan's family member in any way. That's the "smoking gun". Why was that person's car in Joan's driveway at the time of her disappearance?
I have just more or less finished Stephen Ahern´s excellent book on the JR case. Highly recommended indeed!
Like Betty P, I strongly feel that the "mystery" car seen in JR´s driveway by two witnesses on the day of JR´s disappearance may be highly relevant! The same car was reportedly spotted by another witness in the same location on October 19th, just five days before JR´s vanishing!
Ahern writes that LE was able to finally track down the car in question and that it had been stolen from its rightful owner, a man in Medford, MA, not far from Lincoln, MA.
No information was given regarding:
1. The legal owner of the car
2. When and where it was stolen
3. When and how the legal owner managed to retrieve the car
Apparently it took LE some 6 months to trace the "mystery" car.
Perhaps a FOIA request might result in more facts? This car might in fact be the "smoking gun".....

I have just more or less finished Stephen Ahern´s excellent book on the JR case. Highly recommended indeed!
Like Betty P, I strongly feel that the "mystery" car seen in JR´s driveway by two witnesses on the day of JR´s disappearance may be highly relevant! The same car was reportedly spotted by another witness in the same location on October 19th, just five days before JR´s vanishing!
Ahern writes that LE was able to finally track down the car in question and that it had been stolen from its rightful owner, a man in Medford, MA, not far from Lincoln, MA.
Perhaps a FOIA request might result in more facts? This car might in fact be the "smoking gun".....
I’ve been saying for a long time the mystery car in JR‘s driveway is very key. That story about it being reported stolen from Medford and info just seems to stop there.

I did read Ahearn’s book, however very quickly and need to reread portions of it. If you read the book unless I missed it he did not address the mysterious phone calls by the “excitable woman” after Joan went missing?

JMO, that car was definitely a smoking gun. Also, previous reports from those who saw the car in the Risch driveway sometime before calls into question my hypothesis that it was a random stranger. Eyewitness reports can be inaccurate, but if someone did see the same car in the Risch driveway, it could have been someone known to the Risch family or someone who seemed harmless, like a person they did business with - work, making a delivery, door to door sales, etc.

Reading the book made me realize how few tools local LE had to work with in those days, though it shouldn't have taken 6 months to trace the owner.

Last edited:
The eyewitness report of seeing Joan on a road somewhere with something like blood on her legs apparently accurate.

Apologies, I need to correct my comment to an earlier post. "The eyewitness report of seeing Joan on a road somewhere with something like blood on her legs is apparently inaccurate". JMO

Sorry for any confusion. Posting from my tablet is prone to typos.

The eyewitness report of seeing Joan on a road somewhere with something like blood on her legs apparently accurate. Police used the same scent dogs who tracked Joan in her own yard to search for her scent in the area where this alleged sighting took place. Her scent wasn't anywhere in the area and it was searched for quite a distance along the road. For that reason, police discounted the eyewitness report.

The neighbor across the street who saw Joan several times and who was watching her daughter never saw Joan with blood on her legs or any other part of her body.

Also, how would Joan have driven someone else's car away from her home, after that person had likely injured her. Would she have left her attacker/abductor alone in her home having stolen his keys. Would he have not pursued her? If she were attacked by someone in her home and managed to get the attackers keys away from him to drive herself away, why would she still be missing?
Yes, I agree mostly, what I wrote was my theory before I read about the dogs not being able to track her scent.

There was an article with mention of an eyewhitness report though, she was seen coming outside her home and going to the car "with something red in her hands". I found that intereseting, but it doesn't really tell us much.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back