Found Deceased MA - Judith Chartier, 17, Chelmsford, 5 June 1982 *car found in 2021*

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Richard, Aug 7, 2005.

1. LLC

LLC Active Member

Was just thinking of this case...

Man. I wish something would happen...anything.

2. Teesside

Teesside Member

2017 article and interview with brother seems to say she DID go back to party and witnesses saw her leave at 2am

35 Years Later, Man Makes Plea for Answers in Sister’s Disappearance

sandbox likes this.
  3. jgfitzge

jgfitzge It's complicated! No, It really isn't

Judy’s brother posted this on his Facebook recently. It contains details not previously published

Joe Chartier

ctmom, cocomod, sandbox and 5 others like this.
  4. Dontknow?

Dontknow? Well-Known Member

altissima, NornIron, j_in_c and 20 others like this.
  5. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Aren’t The Ones Beneath The Bed

Divers recover car of Massachusetts teen who went missing in 1982

BILLERICA, Mass. —

Authorities have made a major find in the case of a missing teenager from nearly 40 years ago.

The Middlesex District Attorney's Office said Tuesday that investigators recovered a vehicle from the Concord River that has been positively identified as the 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger that was driven by 17-year-old Judith Chartier, of Chelmsford, when she disappeared on June 5, 1982.

As part of an ongoing investigation, the Massachusetts State Police Dive Team and civilian divers found significant portions of a vehicle in the river. Through a match of the vehicle identification number (VIN), those pieces were confirmed to be from Chartier's vehicle.

On June 5, 1982, Chartier went missing after leaving a party in Billerica. Friends reported that Chariter was last seen around 2 a.m., and she has not been seen since.

“This is a very significant development in this case and we are still processing the car for any additional evidence," Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan said in a statement. "Sadly, this discovery comes after nearly forty heartbreaking years of Judith’s friends and family missing her and wondering about what happened that day. We are committed to continuing the search for those answers."

The investigation into Chartier's disappearance is being conducted by Ryan's Cold Case Unit, Billerica police, Chelmsford police, Massachusetts State Police detectives assigned to Ryan's Office and the MSP Dive Team.

Ryan's office extended thanks to Bruce Stebbins and Hans Hug of Sonar Search and Recovery, civilian experts who utilized Edgetech Sonar System to locate the vehicle and whose assistance was "critical to the investigation."

NornIron, ctmom, Suglo and 14 others like this.
  6. pugsley

pugsley Active Member

Praying they will find evidence of Judy also.

7. MassGuy

I'm surprised they haven't yet. Anecdotally at least, these cars seem to be fairly well preserved, even decades later. I'm sure she's there though.

ctmom, Suglo, coffeeandacig and 5 others like this.
  8. Dontknow?

Dontknow? Well-Known Member

9. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

Praying for answers for her brother Joe, who has never, ever given up.

10. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

11. tamsidea

tamsidea Active Member

So, is it possible she drove off the bridge accidently?

wendybtn, ctmom, wary and 5 others like this.
  12. Sneaker33

Sneaker33 Well-Known Member

It would be the most possible scenario if it were not for the two individuals who reported Judith missing and then lawyered up.

Keane, Bit of hope, abr and 5 others like this.
  13. Mysteries1974

Mysteries1974 Martha Jean Lambert - Missing since 1985

I’ve known about Judith’s case for a few years and was always under the assumption that she was the victim of foul play but with her car being found in the river, I’m inclined to believe it was a tragic accident and that it simply wasn’t possible to find her and her car back then.

I just hope they manage to locate Judith’s remains. Im not completely ready to rule out foul play. I’ve always believed the people Judith was with that night knew more about her disappearance then they let on.

Keane, Bit of hope, Suglo and 7 others like this.
  14. MassGuy

There have been no shortage of vehicles recovered decades later, with quite a few of those being resolved just recently. If you look back over the history of many cases like this, you'll find that quite a few of them actually had suspects or people law enforcement was looking closely at.

They were all tragic accidents though, and I think it's more than likely that's exactly what this was.

wendybtn, ctmom, Suglo and 5 others like this.
  15. sandbox

sandbox New Member

Hello, sis!

16. sandbox

sandbox New Member

The car was found in the water near where the party was held. There is no bridge or adjoining road. It's possible she was parked on someone's lawn and accidentally put her car in reverse and slid into the river, or she was killed elsewhere and her car was pushed into the river. Still, the river has been searched before and her car was not found.
    ** I just read Joe Chartier's post referenced above, and a commenter asked if the party was "at the apartment complex or the house on Wilson St. [in Billerica, MA]" Buildings on the east side of Wilson St. do back to the river.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    Bit of hope, ctmom, Ursamajr and 2 others like this.
  17. MassGuy

You made this post 9 years ago, and I think there's a very good chance you nailed it.

18. sandbox

sandbox New Member

** Car not found during previous searches - was the car put into the water after the river was searched after her disappearance? But why was it in the water near the party house?

19. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

They likely just missed it is my speculation.

glamourkitty1922, Suglo, wary and 3 others like this.
  20. chaddylex

chaddylex Verified local - Rebecca Stahl case

Just saw on FB that Judith's car was found. I hope they find her also to give her family closure.