MA MA - Mary Ann Teresa Waite, 25, Brockton, June 1, 1971

Discussion in '1970's Missing' started by Murkywaters, Mar 28, 2020.

1. alb1on

alb1on Well-Known Member

I appreciate a death record is made when someone is declared dead. But the existence of a record does not mean it is accessible to a researcher unless they know where to look. In 2006 accessing a new death record may have meant chasing paper records (or microfiche) and may even have required some knowledge such as place and time of death to narrow the search. But since those days many more records are online and searches can be made on much less information. Hence it is quite possible that a death could have occurred in 2006 (or been recorded due to a declaration) but not been found by a researcher for some years. Today a researcher would expect to find a record more quickly.

I take the point that a death record could be due to a declaration of death rather than a person being found. However, in this case, the minimum that the Social Security record supports is that she was alive after her disappearance in 1971, since it records the name changes and the change to O'Neil is recorded as 1976 (3 years after a supporting marriage record to Leslie O'neil). I have also learnt my lesson that it is worth noting all records in my posts (!) as there is also an entry in the US Public Records Index showing Mary Ann Oneil living in Florida.

I remain as surprised and cautious as others about this case and developments, but cannot see a good alternative explanation for the Social Security record than that she left voluntarily. The other records are just supporting and no detail can be wholly relied upon. But ever since the Horrell case I have accepted that such cases do happen. What is very odd is that LE retain an interest as you would expect them to check government records as a first step. Either they have not done so or there is something wrong with the record.

shanda3434 and Andreee like this.

2. brenda.stearman

brenda.stearman New Member

3. brenda.stearman

brenda.stearman New Member

Mary Ann Waite was my mother. She was from Massachusetts. A few years ago I was contacted by a detective from Baltimore investigating an unsolved murder. A relative had contacted them in reference to a picture they had seen somewhere online of a Jane Doe they thought resembled my Mother. The local police department did a swab of my mouth, and that was the end of it. I never heard from the detective again or heard back from the local police department. The morning of her disappearance a note was found saying she was going to the store for bread and milk. She never returned. She had a husband and 4 children. I was the oldest at 10.

4. Murkywaters

Murkywaters Well-Known Member

Hi, Brenda, Sorry to hear about your mother, we are however glad to have you here at Websleuths. do you recall whether or not they ruled out the Jane Doe in question? being that they did take a DNA swab from you, do you know if the detectives had it submitted to CODIS or NamUs to cross-reference against any other unidentified remains?

Andreee likes this.
  5. alb1on

alb1on Well-Known Member

Welcome Brenda. Are you able to say anything about the records on Ancestry identifying your mother with Mary Ann O'Neil in Florida? I appreciate this may be sensitive and understand if you do not want to comment. If you want to look more closely, the original tree on Ancestry which makes this connection belongs to a user with the username of TandemMB. The tree (they have several) is The Badmington Family Tree. Looking at the final generation on that tree, it seems that the owner/user may be a child or grandchild of Mary Annie MacLeod who was a sister of your grandfather, Angus D MacLeod. All of the records previously mentioned in this thread are attached to the person listed as your mother on that tree and can be viewed by clicking on them. In the tree MacLeod is rendered as Mac Leod. I am not sure whether it is correct with or without the space, but it may help to know when on Ancestry. As previously mentioned the records seem to line up with specifics such as date of birth. If you do not have an Ancestry subscription it is usually possible to get a free trial.

If these records are incorrect it would be useful in refocusing matters and your relative would be able to correct her tree. But it is for you to decide whether or how you want to handle this line.

Murkywaters likes this.