Found Deceased MA - Meghan Marohn, 43, from NY, car found near Longcope Park, Lee, 28 Mar 2022 *Reward*

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Public safety officials are activley conducting a search for missing person Meghan Marohn of Delmar NY. Meghan was last believed to be in the Long cope park area on Church St in Lee.

Meghan is a 43 year old white female approximately 115 lbs. 5'6" with with auburn hair and green eyes. Anyone with information should contact the Lee Police at (413)243-5530. Her photo is attached.

277676229_343450561161845_5474932498881892281_n.jpg

Her black 2017 Subaru Impreza was found parked at a trailhead near Longcope Park.

Police searching wooded area in Lee for NY woman reported missing

Bethlehem police are seeking the public's assistance in locating Meghan A. Marohn, a missing 42-year-old woman from Delmar.

Marohn has not been seen since Saturday, when she traveled to Stockbridge, Massachusetts, police said Wednesday. Her vehicle was located unattended at Long Cope Park Hiking Trails in Massachusetts, according to authorities.

Marohn is an English teacher at Shaker High School and a valued member of the North Colonie school community, Shaker Superintendent D. Joseph Corr said Wednesday.

Bethlehem police ask for help in locating missing woman

I was picturing her missing in a vast wilderness area, but in looking up the park it's just 46 acres, and the approx 1-mile hiking trail is rated 1.5 out of 10 for difficulty. Makes me wonder if she ever made it to the trail or if her vehicle was just left there following a crime. I hope her loved ones have answers soon. Roots Both Bitter & Sweet - Longcope Park » Berkshire Family Hikes

I'm not familiar with that area but I know the sort in MA and it's more of a stretch your legs trail than actual hiking. There are so many bigger places to hike in the Berkshires. To me, stopping there would be a chance to get some fresh air and clear my head. If the woods are as open as the pictures suggest, then I suppose it's possible to accidentally stray. Still, the overall distances there are fairly short. If you head in any one direction you'll hit a road eventually. At the same time, we're just coming out of a couple of nights with temps down into the teens. It seems like the best option is that she chose to leave her car behind for some reason and met someone/hitched out to a different location for some reason unknown to everyone else.

LE had called the search off, but it's back on:
SEARCH FOR MISSING WOMAN IN LEE — UPDATE 2 — Based on newly developed information, members of the MSP Special Emergency Rescue Team and K9 teams have resumed a search in south Lee in connection with Ms. Marohn’s disappearance. The search location is different from the area searched the previous two days, and is about a half mile from where her car was found. We will update on the results of the search later today.
Anyone who believes they have seen Ms. Marohn or has information about her should call 911 immediately. A photo of her is included.

Hmmm. From the 1st update (highlighted by me).

There is no further search of the Longcope Park area planned at this time, barring the development of mew information. The investigation into Ms. Marohn’s disappearance is ongoing via other actions.

From @Ilex post upthread. 2nd update.

Based on newly developed information, members of the MSP Special Emergency Rescue Team and K9 teams have resumed a search in south Lee in connection with Ms. Marohn’s disappearance.

Authorities resume the search for a teacher from New York missing in Lee since Sunday

Snipped...
...According to Lee Police Chief Craig DeSantis the search focused on an area roughly a half-mile from where her car was found, based on celll photo data from the woman's cell phone.
Also from your link.

The area searched was toward the South Lee Fire Station on the west side of Church Street.
Marohn's family filed a missing police report with the Bethlehem Police Department on Tuesday, according police Commander James Rexford.
Rexford says Marohn has a background in hiking and may have been staying at the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge over the weekend. The Eagle has been unable to confirm Marohn had registered at the historic inn.

I'm not familiar with that area but I know the sort in MA and it's more of a stretch your legs trail than actual hiking. There are so many bigger places to hike in the Berkshires. To me, stopping there would be a chance to get some fresh air and clear my head. If the woods are as open as the pictures suggest, then I suppose it's possible to accidentally stray. Still, the overall distances there are fairly short. If you head in any one direction you'll hit a road eventually. At the same time, we're just coming out of a couple of nights with temps down into the teens. It seems like the best option is that she chose to leave her car behind for some reason and met someone/hitched out to a different location for some reason unknown to everyone else.

Google Maps

I've never hiked/walked at this particular property but it looks pretty typical of woods walks in Lee, Lenox, Stockbridge, and all the other villages in this corner of Massachusetts. The terrain is normally not difficult but there are ridges, deadfalls, and small ravines where a person could fall and not be seen easily.

Photos from the Berkshire Eagle of the search. Some show searching a pond across the street from the park:

Photos: Police search for missing N.Y. woman in Lee forest

Authorities resume the search for a teacher from New York missing in Lee since Sunday

According to Lee Police Chief Craig DeSantis the search focused on an area roughly a half-mile from where her car was found, based on data from the woman's cell phone. The area searched was toward the South Lee Fire Station on the west side of Church Street.

Per the Berkshire Eagle update: Rexford says Marohn has a background in hiking. Given the relatively flat and mellow trail, I still wonder what brought her to that location, other than just a need to clear her head. If you travel along Church Street, it appears there's a power line cut that she could have taken if she left the trail and set off through the woods in the direction of the fire house. I assume the station they're referring to is the one at the end of Church Street, where it meets with Rt 102. More houses there, more traffic, more likely to have someone notice her, and the Housatonic across the road so foot travel would need to be on a road in order to cross it.

I'm curious about reception there. As a rural MA resident, I can vouch for how spotty it is. I worry that if she got turned around and/or stuck for some reason, she'd have been stuck in the cold without a way to call for help.

It is a boggy time of year. Between that and the cold, if she was off trail and got wet and headed into hypothermia, she could have been too confused to find her way back out. But it still means she would have left the trail for some reason. It seems more likely that she traveled by road (on foot or in car) or deliberately chose to head out off trail for some reason.

Per the Berkshire Eagle update: Rexford says Marohn has a background in hiking. Given the relatively flat and mellow trail, I still wonder what brought her to that location, other than just a need to clear her head. If you travel along Church Street, it appears there's a power line cut that she could have taken if she left the trail and set off through the woods in the direction of the fire house. I assume the station they're referring to is the one at the end of Church Street, where it meets with Rt 102. More houses there, more traffic, more likely to have someone notice her, and the Housatonic across the road so foot travel would need to be on a road in order to cross it.

I'm curious about reception there. As a rural MA resident, I can vouch for how spotty it is. I worry that if she got turned around and/or stuck for some reason, she'd have been stuck in the cold without a way to call for help.

It is a boggy time of year. Between that and the cold, if she was off trail and got wet and headed into hypothermia, she could have been too confused to find her way back out. But it still means she would have left the trail for some reason. It seems more likely that she traveled by road (on foot or in car) or deliberately chose to head out off trail for some reason.
I immediately wondered if there was a large overhead branch that may have fallen and knocked her or disoriented her.

I immediately wondered if there was a large overhead branch that may have fallen and knocked her or disoriented her.

At this time of year with all the mud and melting ice, I'd be more likely to suspect a bad fall that happened to leave her out of sight under a deadfall or in a ravine or something. Even in our back yard, the footing is pretty slick.

At this time of year with all the mud and melting ice, I'd be more likely to suspect a bad fall that happened to leave her out of sight under a deadfall or in a ravine or something. Even in our back yard, the footing is pretty slick.
Wearing an Apple Watch would notify of a fall. I trip in the garden and the watch asks if I'm ok. If I didn't respond, it would signal for help. Not sure, of course, if she was wearing one.

Plus, although it is relatively unknown, a cell phone is able to connect with 911 in many cases, even where there is no service. The report was filed that stated this when the family of 3 (parents and baby, and dog) died of heat exhaustion while hiking in high temps in CA. That's where I learned this important tidbit of life saving info.

A family of 3 who mysteriously died on a hike tried calling and texting for help, saying they had no water and were overheating with their baby

Wearing an Apple Watch would notify of a fall. I trip in the garden and the watch asks if I'm ok. If I didn't respond, it would signal for help. Not sure, of course, if she was wearing one.

Plus, although it is relatively unknown, a cell phone is able to connect with 911 in many cases, even where there is no service. The report was filed that stated this when the family of 3 (parents and baby, and dog) died of heat exhaustion while hiking in high temps in CA. That's where I learned this important tidbit of life saving info.

A family of 3 who mysteriously died on a hike tried calling and texting for help, saying they had no water and were overheating with their baby

The Apple Watch would be great if she was wearing one. So would the cell phone if she was conscious to use it, or it didn't get lost or damaged in a fall.

I hope it's all just a false alarm and she just decided she had to get away for a couple of days.

The Apple Watch would be great if she was wearing one. So would the cell phone if she was conscious to use it, or it didn't get lost or damaged in a fall.

I hope it's all just a false alarm and she just decided she had to get away for a couple of days.
I hear ya. These devices help only when in use, or present in the first place.

I've been so busy and avoiding the news I wasn't even aware aware of this story in my county. I wonder if she was having any personal/mental health issues. It sounded odd to me that no one knew where she was staying but sounded like she'd been gone overnight-missing since Sunday. Delmar isn't far away-I used to drive daily to Albany. And it's not a spot where a "hiker" would travel to.

The woods are pretty muddy, slippery etc. I'm a hiker and don't enjoy hiking this time of year and it's bad for the trails so just not a popular hiking time. It's also easy to fall but more due to slipping & falling in mud than falling off a cliff or something similarly deadly. Also been REALLY cold at night.

Just did a search before I posted this and saw a quote from a news article that sort of answers my speculation about her state of mind.

A woman who claims to know Marohn posted a message on the Lee, MA police Facebook page insinuating that the missing woman was experiencing some personal trauma adding, "I know her personally...She's been going through a lot...She really loves nature, so it makes sense that she'd disappear into a wooded area. If there are any particularly beautiful places within the park, I would look there."

Read More: Delmar Woman Missing! Police Found Her Abandoned Car in Woods | Delmar Woman Missing! Police Found Her Abandoned Car in Woods

I've been so busy and avoiding the news I wasn't even aware aware of this story in my county. I wonder if she was having any personal/mental health issues. It sounded odd to me that no one knew where she was staying but sounded like she'd been gone overnight-missing since Sunday. Delmar isn't far away-I used to drive daily to Albany. And it's not a spot where a "hiker" would travel to.

The woods are pretty muddy, slippery etc. I'm a hiker and don't enjoy hiking this time of year and it's bad for the trails so just not a popular hiking time. It's also easy to fall but more due to slipping & falling in mud than falling off a cliff or something similarly deadly. Also been REALLY cold at night.

Just did a search before I posted this and saw a quote from a news article that sort of answers my speculation about her state of mind.
It was warm during the day Sunday, but temps plummeted during the night and it's been very cold since.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back