Found Deceased MA - Meghan Marohn, 43, from NY, car found near Longcope Park, Lee, 28 Mar 2022 *Reward*

I’m not a local, but I am pretty familiar with the area. All of this is MOO but based on my knowledge.

The area where her car was found is not far from I-90 and is about a 3 mile walk, as the crow flies, from the Appalachian Trail.

It would be a really strange place to go for a long term hike, but maybe not a strange place to park to throw people off your trail and disappear for a bit.

In that area, cell service is extremely spotty and it’s very rural - people go to that part of western MA to go off grid! No traffic cameras, probably very few trail cams.

I am sure they are checking those nearby sections of the AT for any signs of her, but if she left that immediate area on foot she is going to be hard to find. It’s so wooded and remote.

prayers for her safe return

"The family hasn't given up hope": Missing woman's family continues search

So that changes things a bit and answers the question of what she might be doing off the trail.

I'm a geocacher. Caches are typically hidden off the trail, and some of them can be hidden in tricky spots, or places you have to put a little effort into reaching. Cache descriptions on geocaching.com include a difficulty rating, and many times the cache owner will include a warning if you have to perform any dangerous maneuvers to reach the cache.

The good thing about this is, you're looking for these caches with a GPSr, so barring something like a dead battery or a device that gets dropped and broken, you have a good tool to find your way back to somewhere. I've even had to use old stored waypoints to get myself out of a pickle once when a friend and I got turned around in the woods, it kept us walking in a straight line until we got to a road.

Unfortunately, with the amount of time this woman has been missing, I'm inclined to think that she may have fallen or had another accident that left her incapacitated.

Geocaching.com has the ability to show all caches in a particular area, so I'm hoping that the folks searching for Meghan have pulled that data and will be able to get a better idea of where she was searching so they can narrow down her location.

"The family hasn't given up hope": Missing woman's family continues search

So that changes things a bit and answers the question of what she might be doing off the trail. If there's more than one in Longcope or the vicinity of Church Street she could have decided to lose the trails and just gps it from one to the next. If she's an experienced hiker, the potential search area expands quite a bit.
From your link.

Meghan’s oldest brother Peter Naple spoke with CBS6's Emma Quinn, he tells her, Marohn is an avid hiker but believes this was her first time on the Longcope Hiking Trails.

He believes she was participating in geocaching, which is an outdoor activity where hikers use navigational tools to hide and seek prizes.

Now the family is asking anyone for information, dash cameras or any surveillance video that might have captured Meghan in it to come forward.

Some good information and comments there, especially regarding a woman missing in Vermont. I'm still worried about the self harm angle based on her friend's comment that she'd been having a hard time, but I'm a negative nelly.
Seems this is the other missing woman they were talking about.

Missing Searsburg woman may be in Brattleboro area

SEARSBURG — Vermont State Police is seeking the public’s help in finding a missing Searsburg woman who may have been seen in the Brattleboro area.

The investigation into the whereabouts of Mary E. Reid, 53, remains active and ongoing, police reported in a Wednesday afternoon update.

There have been several unconfirmed reports of a person matching her description being seen in the Brattleboro and Rutland areas. She has seven tattoos, including a black stallion on her hip, and might be wearing a maroon winter hat. She also might be carrying a pink metal insulated cup with a metal straw.

Troopers from the Shaftsbury barracks were notified on March 27 that Reid was missing, and responded to an area on Route 9 in Searsburg.

She was last seen at about 11 a.m. Friday, March 25, at her home in Searsburg. She is about 5 feet 4 inches tall, weighs 110 pounds, and has blue eyes and sandy hair. She was last seen wearing a red and black flannel jacket, blue jeans, and black and gold Puma sneakers.

And her brother also mentions 3 other missing women in Pittsfield, but haven't read the articles.

Pittsfield Feb. 18, 2022
Annie Crounse is described as a white female, about 5’8′ and 125 pounds. She has dark hair and blue eyes. https://www.news10.com/news...

Pittsfield, MA March 22, 2022
Rachel Lewis is described as a white female with pink, shoulder-length hair with bangs. She's approximately 5-foot, 5-inches tall, weighs 120 pounds and has blue eyes and tattoos on her neck. https://www.berkshireeagle....

Pittsfield, MA. April 1, 2022
Imani Alston is described as a Black female, 5 feet, 2 inches tall and 120 pounds with dark braided hair and brown eyes. She has an ∞ symbol tattooed on her left wrist. https://wnyt.com/berkshire-...

Seems this is the other missing woman they were talking about.

Missing Searsburg woman may be in Brattleboro area

SEARSBURG — Vermont State Police is seeking the public’s help in finding a missing Searsburg woman who may have been seen in the Brattleboro area.

The investigation into the whereabouts of Mary E. Reid, 53, remains active and ongoing, police reported in a Wednesday afternoon update.

There have been several unconfirmed reports of a person matching her description being seen in the Brattleboro and Rutland areas. She has seven tattoos, including a black stallion on her hip, and might be wearing a maroon winter hat. She also might be carrying a pink metal insulated cup with a metal straw.

Troopers from the Shaftsbury barracks were notified on March 27 that Reid was missing, and responded to an area on Route 9 in Searsburg.

She was last seen at about 11 a.m. Friday, March 25, at her home in Searsburg. She is about 5 feet 4 inches tall, weighs 110 pounds, and has blue eyes and sandy hair. She was last seen wearing a red and black flannel jacket, blue jeans, and black and gold Puma sneakers.
Thanks. Doesn't feel to me like a connection with Meghan though. I was in Vermont 3 days ago. I didn't see any tattoos on somebody's hip but I hope Mary is ok.

Wearing an Apple Watch would notify of a fall. I trip in the garden and the watch asks if I'm ok. If I didn't respond, it would signal for help. Not sure, of course, if she was wearing one.

Plus, although it is relatively unknown, a cell phone is able to connect with 911 in many cases, even where there is no service. The report was filed that stated this when the family of 3 (parents and baby, and dog) died of heat exhaustion while hiking in high temps in CA. That's where I learned this important tidbit of life saving info.

A family of 3 who mysteriously died on a hike tried calling and texting for help, saying they had no water and were overheating with their baby

Just to clarify, a cell phone that has no active account/ phone plan can call 9-1-1 as long as it 1) has battery charge and 2) is within reach of a cell tower.

So when you say it works even if "no service", you are correct if "no service" means no plan, but if the phone has "no service" as in outside the range of cell towers, no, it won't be able to call for help. Same if the battery is dead, no call.

MOO

Just to clarify, a cell phone that has no active account/ phone plan can call 9-1-1 as long as it 1) has battery charge and 2) is within reach of a cell tower.

So when you say it works even if "no service", you are correct if "no service" means no plan, but if the phone has "no service" as in outside the range of cell towers, no, it won't be able to call for help. Same if the battery is dead, no call.

MOO
Thanks, I should have spelled it out. I linked the article to explain this, as it's where I first learned of it.
From my article:
"Cellphones can sometimes call 911 even when it appears there is no service, depending on if another network provider has coverage in the area, and even if the phone is not enrolled in a wireless plan. But in such cases, the caller's location may not be delivered to the 911 call center, and if the call is disconnected, the call center will not be able to call back."

A family of 3 who mysteriously died on a hike tried calling and texting for help, saying they had no water and were overheating with their baby

From your link.

Meghan’s oldest brother Peter Naple spoke with CBS6's Emma Quinn, he tells her, Marohn is an avid hiker but believes this was her first time on the Longcope Hiking Trails.

He believes she was participating in geocaching, which is an outdoor activity where hikers use navigational tools to hide and seek prizes.

Now the family is asking anyone for information, dash cameras or any surveillance video that might have captured Meghan in it to come forward.
BBM
Its amazing how many might have captured her.

And her brother also mentions 3 other missing women in Pittsfield, but haven't read the articles.

Pittsfield Feb. 18, 2022
Annie Crounse is described as a white female, about 5’8′ and 125 pounds. She has dark hair and blue eyes. https://www.news10.com/news...

Rachel Lewis is described as a white female with pink, shoulder-length hair with bangs. She's approximately 5-foot, 5-inches tall, weighs 120 pounds and has blue eyes and tattoos on her neck. https://www.berkshireeagle....

Imani Alston is described as a Black female, 5 feet, 2 inches tall and 120 pounds with dark braided hair and brown eyes. She has an ∞ symbol tattooed on her left wrist. https://wnyt.com/berkshire-...
These three women have all been found acc to the FindMeghan page just fyi

BBM
Its amazing how many might have captured her.
Lee MA is a rural town w/approx 6k population. I don't think they are going to find many cameras. From what I could see on goggle maps, the park does look to back up to some rather large homes to the south so maybe camera's there. Church St, where the small parking area is located for the trailhead, is not densely populated with a lot of residential homes close to the street. If she did stay at the Red Lion Inn, it would be good to know if the key to ther room logged all exit and entering events. It's an old quaint Inn so they may not have the technology. There is an outlet shopping center in Lee that I have been to and a grocery store off the Mass Pike/rt 90 exit not far from here. This is also an area where the truckers stop and overnight iirc. I have not been this way in a while but most of the in season touristy stuff happens in other towns. This would not be a busy time of year IMO

Pittsfield Feb. 18, 2022

Kudos to Meghan's brother for spreading the news. They seem very close.

I'm a local to this story - glad to see the thread here, but so not glad that she has not been located after this many days. I'd never even heard of the Longcope Property prior to this, and the day she was last seen the weather was really not conducive for a hike - raining, misting, raw, cold. To me, it doesn't seem like one of the popular hiking places that are well known, like Monument Mountain or Tyringham Cobble.

I'm wondering if the authorities are actively scanning the Housatonic River. So far, I've yet to read that they are. Since it was mentioned that they moved the search south closer to Rt 102/Pleasant St., the "Housie," as it's called, parallels that road and is rather deep with a strong current. A few old mills are just downstream with a small dam/waterfall.

Here's an article from the local paper, The Berkshire Eagle, about how her car was spotted in the parking area 2 days in a row, so he reported it. Very odd that she would have left it unlocked.

A Lee resident saw Meghan Marohn's car parked for two days, then called the police. Neighbors have watched the search for the missing NY woman unfold

I'm also curious if her stay at The Red Lion Inn was typical for her getaways. That is, some people choose motels or inexpensive places, B&Bs, etc., especially if their goal is hiking. The Red Lion's rates vary wildly depending on the season. High season here is summer for Tanglewood visitors, when the Berkshires are mobbed with tourists, including neighboring Lee, fall for leaf peepers, winter for skiers. Right now it looks as though the rates are about $220 a night. Rates in busier seasons can be $300-600 a night, possibly even more depending on the suite or package. They have several properties with rooms, including those in the main Inn, which is huge, and some rooms in some small buildings nearby in Stockbridge. If it's true that she checked in on Thursday, that'd be 3 nights, or $660 plus taxes, plus dining expenses wherever she chose to eat (possibly not even in Stockbridge). Pricey for a single woman on a teacher's salary, but perhaps she often indulged. If this was out of character, that'd be a clue. There are also restaurants on site - the Widow Bingham's tavern and the main dining room, and the Lion's Den below that's more casual than the main dining room and at least at one point had live music at times - not sure what's going on since Covid. I wonder if they have any security cameras in any of those rooms.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back