Found Deceased MA - Meghan Marohn, 43, from NY, car found near Longcope Park, Lee, 28 Mar 2022 *Reward*

I saw this information too and think it is significant. Evidently she did not intend to be on this “Church” St but rather the one closer to the Inn. The Longcope Park trailhead on Church St in Lee has a very small parking area right off the street and she may have turned in there to stop and get her bearings. Someone may have been driving behind her and recognized she was lost/ out of state plates etc and pulled in behind her etc
As an aside, I do find it odd though in this day and age why anyone would ask directions at a front desk. We know she had a cell phone that would have shown her a map, directions etc Maybe just morning chit chat
In the lobby though. And wondering was anyone else in the lobby who overheard the conversation and possibly followed her?
Been lurking on this one for a while. I don't have too much to add here just some random thoughts. She fits the profile of someone who may have been intent on self-harm, but I agree that usually the person doesn't hide themselves so much as go somewhere a little out of the way. I am surprised she hasn't been found by now if self harm is the reason she is missing. It looks like she did have a phone from the comments on her brother's page (he mentions pings on the opposite side from the park). It also means her phone was active for some time after she parked her car. It might be significant that her destination was the other Church street because that means she may have just gotten lost. There are things to go see on the other street. Just a casual Google maps drive through the area where her car was found and its pretty difficult to imagine walking to the opposite side of the park by accident with the trailhead fairly obvious and the personal driveways on the opposite side also very obvious. A person who hikes would read that road pretty easily and know which was a trailhead and which was a driveway. It isn't that odd (to me) that she asked for directions- my wife always does this when traveling in spite of us always both having a phone and that we have in-car navigation. I checked every Geocache for 10 miles for a clue in the logs; but nothing. The totality of the circumstances isn't clear even when you go to the missing page. Apparently the weather was terrible that day. What did she leave in the car?, we know she left boots but apparently it is mis-reported that those where her hiking boots. Did she pack water or snacks?, what did she leave at the hotel?, what did she leave at home?, was she dressed for that weather?. Is there evidence that she thought she was at the other church street and do her actions to go across the street make more sense if she did think she was in a different spot?. Was the car operable, what do the car electronics say about when she parked there. Did she take any actions to "put her affairs in order" before this trip? What if she did get lost that day?, you can get turned around walking in circles pretty easily even in only 40 wooded acres; but there was an active cell phone and she could have made a call.

I was really hoping for a happy ending to this when I saw the first post but unfortunately I don't think this is going to turn out well.

Last edited:
I don't want to get off subject but I went on the "National Council of Teachers of English" and quired "Climate change" and zero results came up ...thought that was odd in itself ..was it really mandated? or was it more of a personal decision that caused the conflict in her school? delete if this is inappropriate.
I know - it did strike me as strange as well. At the 22:00 mark in the video I linked to yesterday where Meghan spoke about that, this is what she said: "... the National Council of Teachers of English came out in the spring with an edict or declaration that english teachers should be teaching about climate change..."

It's also interesting that she goes on to say that she spent the summer wondering if she'd go back to her job. Apparently a student or students videotaped her teaching about climate change as well. And remember this video was from 2019, so it seems like she was perhaps still running into similar issues at the school this winter of 2022, 2-3 years later. She would do wonderfully teaching at a college level or private school where people would appreciate her teachings!

This Berkshire Eagle article from April 8, 2022, has photos and says:

"Search and rescue teams immediately poured into the area beginning Tuesday, combing a forest residents and police describe as “thick.”

If the forest was described as thick by locals, then that adds to the chance of a body not being found, because it's difficult to know exactly where to search.

Plus in many cases people have been missed by SAR, just because of the density of the trees, lack of light, or floor coverage (leafy/boggy/grassy) etc.

She could have been taken by a perp into any of the woods around Stockbridge/Lee and may never be found.

She may also have taken herself into any of the woods around Stockbridge/Lee and may never be found.

MOO.

I wonder if this is what she was referencing when she referred to the declaration by NCTE about teaching climate change: "Addressing climate change demands the involvement of ELA teachers because students need to understand the social, historical, ethical, and human realities that are critical to the problem." -NCTE Resolution on Literacy Teaching on Climate Change

It looks like that was from spring 2019 and I believe that video of her was from 2019 as well?

I wonder if this is what she was referencing when she referred to the declaration by NCTE about teaching climate change: "Addressing climate change demands the involvement of ELA teachers because students need to understand the social, historical, ethical, and human realities that are critical to the problem." -NCTE Resolution on Literacy Teaching on Climate Change

It looks like that was from spring 2019 and I believe that video of her was from 2019 as well?
Excellent find. I'd be willing to bet that was what she was referring to. The peace conf video was from August of 2019 so her comment about that spring makes complete sense.

If the forest was described as thick by locals, then that adds to the chance of a body not being found, because it's difficult to know exactly where to search.

Plus in many cases people have been missed by SAR, just because of the density of the trees, lack of light, or floor coverage (leafy/boggy/grassy) etc.

She could have been taken by a perp into any of the woods around Stockbridge/Lee and may never be found.

She may also have taken herself into any of the woods around Stockbridge/Lee and may never be found.

MOO.
Yes, I'm still pretty certain this was a case of self-harm. She was on leave from a job that she'd had struggles with for years, she seems to be a very sensitive person via her blog post and activism work in a time that the world is in shambles. I think she was at extremely high risk for self harm.

The fact that she hasn't been found doesn't change my mind as people are found within a half mile of the place where they went missing all the time-often after many searches. I think one of the members here has a list of people found within a certain distance of going missing, and it's substantial. Many are found months or years after disappearing, after extensive searching.

Yes, I'm still pretty certain this was a case of self-harm. She was on leave from a job that she'd had struggles with for years, she seems to be a very sensitive person via her blog post and activism work in a time that the world is in shambles. I think she was at extremely high risk for self harm.

The fact that she hasn't been found doesn't change my mind as people are found within a half mile of the place where they went missing all the time-often after many searches. I think one of the members here has a list of people found within a certain distance of going missing, and it's substantial. Many are found months or years after disappearing, after extensive searching.
So true. I would love to see that list, as I have tried to Google it and only came up with Caylee Anthony being found 20' from a road, blocks from the house (I think), after searches turned up nothing. Searchers are human. You sneeze, you get called to look at something else, you go back and lose a 2' area in your section and boom, you've missed something. I have said repeatedly that I'd hope they'd repeat the same searches done initially for this reason. And dogs are not 100% accurate, either. But it's her phone pings that don't make sense. Why would she cross the road after parking in an obvious trail area, even if her destination was supposedly perhaps the Church St in Stockbridge to visit the cemetery? Why not just walk the trail itself? Maybe the phone pings aren't totally accurate given the mountains and lack of connections in many areas nearby. Would love to hear if they tested pings by having various people with various types of phones and various providers visit that same area and see how their phones pinged. Did they all ping at Longcope Park's parking area? Did any ping across the street?

Edited to add - I also think that given her passion, she would leave a note, a story, a poem. She wouldn't just harm herself and disappear into thin air. I have read that many people who have reached a state where they are willing to place themselves into the next chapter of their lives often seem happy, "fine," and often don't leave a note. But most people are not poets or as passionate as her. From what I've read I would think she'd have set up a scenario where she'd perform a ritual, leave some writing to be found, etc. This just seems strange to me that perhaps she meant to check out the indian burial ground at the Stockbridge Church St cemetery, was mistakenly given directions to Church St in Lee that also had a connection to a poet at Longcope, and then she dissolves into thin air. In other words, ever hour I vascillate between self harm and foul play.

Last edited:
So true. I would love to see that list, as I have tried to Google it and only came up with Caylee Anthony being found 20' from a road, blocks from the house (I think), after searches turned up nothing. Searchers are human. You sneeze, you get called to look at something else, you go back and lose a 2' area in your section and boom, you've missed something. I have said repeatedly that I'd hope they'd repeat the same searches done initially for this reason. And dogs are not 100% accurate, either. But it's her phone pings that don't make sense. Why would she cross the road after parking in an obvious trail area, even if her destination was supposedly perhaps the Church St in Stockbridge to visit the cemetery? Why not just walk the trail itself? Maybe the phone pings aren't totally accurate given the mountains and lack of connections in many areas nearby. Would love to hear if they tested pings by having various people with various types of phones and various providers visit that same area and see how their phones pinged. Did they all ping at Longcope Park's parking area? Did any ping across the street?

Edited to add - I also think that given her passion, she would leave a note, a story, a poem. She wouldn't just harm herself and disappear into thin air. I have read that many people who have reached a state where they are willing to place themselves into the next chapter of their lives often seem happy, "fine," and often don't leave a note. But most people are not poets or as passionate as her. From what I've read I would think she'd have set up a scenario where she'd perform a ritual, leave some writing to be found, etc. This just seems strange to me that perhaps she meant to check out the indian burial ground at the Stockbridge Church St cemetery, was mistakenly given directions to Church St in Lee that also had a connection to a poet at Longcope, and then she dissolves into thin air. In other words, ever hour I vascillate between self harm and foul play.
I cannot remember who had that list. Tagging @bombardier because their name came to mind.

I cannot remember who had that list. Tagging @bombardier because their name came to mind.
Hi @JerseyWasHome2 , here's the thread chronicling cases that ended like that! I think about 25-30 cases are included here, but there's so many more that could qualify... I try to add them to the thread when I see them.

Is there evidence that she thought she was at the other church street and do her actions to go across the street make more sense if she did think she was in a different spot?. Was the car operable, what do the car electronics say about when she parked there. Did she take any actions to "put her affairs in order" before this trip? What if she did get lost that day?, you can get turned around walking in circles pretty easily even in only 40 wooded acres; but there was an active cell phone and she could have made a call.

I was really hoping for a happy ending to this when I saw the first post but unfortunately I don't think this is going to turn out well.

Snipped- I'm not optimistic either. Self-harm still tops my list, but I'm still confused about the directions/sending her to a different town.

After looking at Google Maps, it doesn't seem like her actions made sense at all even if she thought she was at the correct Church St. There doesn't seem to be anything of interest she would have passed if she took the most direct route, there doesn't appear to be anything one could confuse as a place of interest either.

An experienced hiker shouldn't have been able to get turned around in a park that small, I wouldn't think. And even if so, I can't imagine her being so lost she wouldn't realize she crossed a blacktop road if the phone pings are accurate. However, the number of cell towers anywhere in the general area are very limited which I would imagine would limit accuracy even more. ATT, Tmobile, and Verizon all show at least 4G coverage at the park on their interactive maps. In my experience, they are fairly accurate, although in my experience having coverage just guarantees one bar and it can be spotty.

I wonder if LE have been able to request any info from her vehicle? Where she may have driven prior to going to the park. Did she go straight from the inn to the park or take any detours?

Also curious if LE have determined when the last ping was and if she was in contact with anyone after speaking with her brother the night prior. If anything was said during the conversation with her brother or anyone else that seemed out of character. If any new information has come to light.

Snipped-I'm still confused about the directions/sending her to a different town.
After looking at Google Maps, it doesn't seem like her actions made sense at all even if she thought she was at the correct Church St. There doesn't seem to be anything of interest she would have passed if she took the most direct route, there doesn't appear to be anything one could confuse as a place of interest either.

It makes me wonder if she was meeting someone there....it seems a very random area to just visit, and then she asked a local for a very specific street.

MOO.

Hi @JerseyWasHome2 , here's the thread chronicling cases that ended like that! I think about 25-30 cases are included here, but there's so many more that could qualify... I try to add them to the thread when I see them.
Here's another case you might want to add to that list. You may remember Chandra Levy, a Washington DC intern who went missing in 2001 and who was supposedly having an affair with politician Gary Condit. Despite extensive searches, they found her in the park they'd searched already, a year later.

BBM below:
"On May 22, 2002, around 9:30 am, skeletal remains which matched Levy's dental records were discovered by a man who was walking his dog and looking for turtles in Rock Creek Park, near Broad Branch Creek (Washington, D.C.). Detectives found bones and personal items scattered, but not buried, in a forested area along a steep incline. A sports bra, sweat shirt, leggings and tennis shoes were among the evidence that was recovered. Although police had previously searched over half the 1,754-acre (710 ha) main section of the park, the wooded slope where Levy's remains were eventually found had not been searched. Police commanders ordered the search perimeters to be within 100 yards (91 m) of each road and trail but due to a miscommunication, the officers only searched within 100 yards of every road. The remains were found about four miles (6 km) from Levy's apartment.

Because questions have come up on several occasions about how searchers could miss Meghan (if she's in the area), I wanted to point out one possibility. If you're not familiar with mountain laurel, take a peek at the pictures in this article: Stop and Smell the Mountain Laurel (But Please Don't Eat it). The second shot is of a man crawling beneath the branches of a thicket that I'd guess is 6-8' in height. The two final shots, side by side, show an established colony (quite tall) and a younger one full of plants that may be below head height. Very young thickets can be dense mats of knee to waist height plants. The plants are twisted and go in all directions and are incredibly beautiful in bloom. The point is that it is hell to try to force your way through, and crawling/threading your way is slow going and never in straight lines.

I have no idea what the Longcope area is like in terms of understory. The few pictures I've seen of it show lots of open space below the canopy, but I live in forest that's much the same, and there are open areas that are easy to walk through and then acres of mountain laurel thickets that completely cover everything. It not only makes movement difficult, but it obscures everything. Even in winter because the leaves are evergreen.

I've been meaning to take pictures of what it's like here, about an hour away from Lee. There may not be mountain laurel in that park and neighboring land, but it's pretty common. There are other types of shrubby undergrowth as well that could decrease visibility and mobility. If you're trying to hide a body or if you're trying to hide your own body, you could easily be swallowed up in that kind of undergrowth, and slogging through in any sort of search pattern would be difficult, I assume. Particularly on hillsides, particularly in poor soil on ledge.

So, what happened to her phone pinging near that house? Is it under construction, who was working on it? Who lives nearby? Maybe she realized she was at the wrong Church Street and asked someone for directions. Have they searched nearby homes???

Because questions have come up on several occasions about how searchers could miss Meghan (if she's in the area), I wanted to point out one possibility. If you're not familiar with mountain laurel, take a peek at the pictures in this article: Stop and Smell the Mountain Laurel (But Please Don't Eat it). The second shot is of a man crawling beneath the branches of a thicket that I'd guess is 6-8' in height. The two final shots, side by side, show an established colony (quite tall) and a younger one full of plants that may be below head height. Very young thickets can be dense mats of knee to waist height plants. The plants are twisted and go in all directions and are incredibly beautiful in bloom. The point is that it is hell to try to force your way through, and crawling/threading your way is slow going and never in straight lines.

I have no idea what the Longcope area is like in terms of understory. The few pictures I've seen of it show lots of open space below the canopy, but I live in forest that's much the same, and there are open areas that are easy to walk through and then acres of mountain laurel thickets that completely cover everything. It not only makes movement difficult, but it obscures everything. Even in winter because the leaves are evergreen.

I've been meaning to take pictures of what it's like here, about an hour away from Lee. There may not be mountain laurel in that park and neighboring land, but it's pretty common. There are other types of shrubby undergrowth as well that could decrease visibility and mobility. If you're trying to hide a body or if you're trying to hide your own body, you could easily be swallowed up in that kind of undergrowth, and slogging through in any sort of search pattern would be difficult, I assume. Particularly on hillsides, particularly in poor soil on ledge.
I think its quite plausible that searchers missed her. Though I would think the vegetation was much different 7-8 weeks ago at the peak of the search activity. Conditions are much harder to spot her now.

new article
Interesting that the teachers union is preventing Meghans brother from being told
the story of what happened that led to her paid leave. I am sure there are probably legalities and privacy issues involved but certainly there is some way to gain this info - even if off the record. Her brother really needs a good lawyer/PI/investigative reporter etc to help him with this - maybe he can even find legal work pro bono? IMO

new article
Interesting that the teachers union is preventing Meghans brother from being told
the story of what happened that led to her paid leave. I am sure there are probably legalities and privacy issues involved but certainly there is some way to gain this info - even if off the record. Her brother really needs a good lawyer/PI/investigative reporter etc to help him with this - maybe he can even find legal work pro bono? IMO
I wonder if police are legally able to obtain the full story from the school district, although if they haven't declared this a suspicious incident yet, maybe they can't?

The new blips of information in that article, also, assuming it's accurate, are that her laptop is missing along with "her tiny Fisher Price bunny, a good luck charm since childhood." I read somewhere early on, as did others, that LE has her laptop. Hmm.

new article
The union must think it's protecting Meghan's privacy or protecting another teacher. My guess is the latter. Some teacher's unions love to wield their power.

The union must think it's protecting Meghan's privacy or protecting another teacher. My guess is the latter. Some teacher's unions love to wield their power.
Totally agree that’s why I was thinking maybe you approach it in another way and get the info off the record from someone else that knows. Whatever was happening at that school was known by others/ teachers/ staff etc imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back