Found Deceased MA - Meghan Marohn, 43, from NY, car found near Longcope Park, Lee, 28 Mar 2022 *Reward*

The public statements about this case have been so strange. The police being so quick to say "no foul play," the vague statements about "issues" at the school where she worked.

According to this interview with her brother, she asked hotel staff for directions to the place where her car was found, so there goes my thought that she may have been forced to drive there or that her car might have been ditched there by someone who did harm to her.

This article had a few details in it that I didn't know:

- Her brother says that the school never told him why she was on leave, despite that he has asked

- Her friend and former mentor spoke with her a the day she left for her trip and said, "Something upset her at school having to do with another colleague"

- The School district has said that they did not "place" her on leave

All of those lead me to suspect that there was an internal investigation at the school about whatever was happening with the other colleague and perhaps she was placed on leave, not as a punishment nor because she was the subject of an investigation, but because the school/school district knew that she had been the victim of harrassment and they wanted to give her some space to recover from the situation (or more cynically, the school was trying to avoid being sued).

Is there any possibility that it had something to do with this situation, a couple years ago at the same school where she taught? Substitute teacher at Shaker High gets camera turned on him; arrested for photographing student in bathroom

"According to police and school officials, Jeffery Wellman, of Albany, had been working as a non-certified substitute through Capital Region BOCES since 2015. On Tuesday, Feb. 11 the student was in one of the stalls at Shaker High when he spotted a cell phone come under the divider from the adjoining stall...The student grabbed Wellman’s leg and held on while he used his own phone to take a video...Wellman ran out of the bathroom and sent a text to school officials, saying he was ill and had to go home...video cameras in the hallway show Wellman pacing in front of the bathroom before entering. Once he did enter, he stayed in the bathroom for more than 20 minutes before exiting suddenly."

Quite odd to me that she would take all her stuff ,not put it in the trunk of her car nor even lock the car when she left it I'm guessing she left her luggage/clothes toiletries in her room? The computer ,diary ,book even her good luck stuffed animal are things I assume are very dear and near to her (they kind of in a way tell who she is/what she's about). I can't fathom someone having her take those things with her if she was forceable abducted . Why take those things along especially the stuffed animal and computer/diary unless she was looking to be found with them if she was suicidal. I'm on the fence if that is a clear possibility considering the school situation ..I hope she finds peace where ever she is.

Reading the linked article written by her close friend, its hard to say what might have happened to her. The person at work she was having problems with made her feel very stressed and threatened. When she last visited her friend, it sounds like she was struggling with depression and anxiety. She had a plans for the future, though.

She sounds like a really great, creative, caring person.

Reading the linked article written by her close friend, its hard to say what might have happened to her. The person at work she was having problems with made her feel very stressed and threatened. When she last visited her friend, it sounds like she was struggling with depression and anxiety. She had a plans for the future, though.

She sounds like a really great, creative, caring person.
I know... an incredible amount of information there about past stressors, lots of intense emotions, carrying the weight of the world, dealing with harassment at least a few times, and more. My head just flips back and forth between all the scenarios. No wonder no one can figure out what happened. And that photo the author chose to include as the topmost photo just made me think, "Hidden in plain sight." If she did choose to take her life, could she have covered herself in leaves and branches and so searchers possibly walked right by her? I know they had search dogs out, but we don't know if they covered every inch of ground (impossible) and dogs are not always 100% accurate.

I know... an incredible amount of information there about past stressors, lots of intense emotions, carrying the weight of the world, dealing with harassment at least a few times, and more. My head just flips back and forth between all the scenarios. No wonder no one can figure out what happened. And that photo the author chose to include as the topmost photo just made me think, "Hidden in plain sight." If she did choose to take her life, could she have covered herself in leaves and branches and so searchers possibly walked right by her? I know they had search dogs out, but we don't know if they covered every inch of ground (impossible) and dogs are not always 100% accurate.

Yep. Poor girl. She was having a rough time. Still, it's possible something else happened. The phone ping is odd, or perhaps that was just a technical glitch.

I probably relate to Meghan too much. I can imagine too easily what could have happened if she decided the park was her final stop. I think often suicide is more spontaneous than is assumed. Not so much the depression or anxiety or grief leading up to it, but making the final decision. I frequently walk an area the same size as that park. I think of her regularly, of what could be swallowed up in the place I walk and therefore could be in that park too. I can't speak to the possibility of foul play, just the possibility of when there's too much suffering to continue.

I'll continue to imagine her safe in a garden somewhere, or in a quiet room with snow falling outside, or almost to the top of a mountain. The world is so hard on people who stay open to the pain around them. I hope that wherever she is, she has peace.

I probably relate to Meghan too much. I can imagine too easily what could have happened if she decided the park was her final stop. I think often suicide is more spontaneous than is assumed. Not so much the depression or anxiety or grief leading up to it, but making the final decision. I frequently walk an area the same size as that park. I think of her regularly, of what could be swallowed up in the place I walk and therefore could be in that park too. I can't speak to the possibility of foul play, just the possibility of when there's too much suffering to continue.

I'll continue to imagine her safe in a garden somewhere, or in a quiet room with snow falling outside, or almost to the top of a mountain. The world is so hard on people who stay open to the pain around them. I hope that wherever she is, she has peace.
Very beautifully said, @UnderSea. And I think we all think she would have chosen a different location if she made a decision like that - somewhere beautiful, meaningful, some have suggested the top of a mountain, or left a lengthy poem or note, etc. The "park" isn't really a destination park like others around here. In fact, many locals don't even know about it. There's nothing of note of beauty like a waterfall or special view, etc. Her phone pinging on the other side of the road is a huge mystery and I just wish we had information that the authorities are absolutely certain that the ping was accurate. With all the mountains and how pings have to be triangulated, I have read they can be 3/4 of a mile "off" from the actual location. Maybe the phone ping actually occurred on the park side of Church St but the data is wrong. I just don't know.

The world is indeed not a safe, peaceful place anymore. I feel for her, her family and friends.

I won’t try to speculate on what happened to Meghan because I truly have no idea. I just want to say that was a beautiful piece of writing. Meghan sounded like she had a wonderful heart and I was very touched by how her friend managed to capture as much in words. If you ever find yourself reading this Anna, I’m so sorry for whatever happened to Meghan. I’m glad your life paths intercepted and thank you for sharing some of your beautiful friendship

The school, and likely also the police must know the identity of this person from whom she needed a leave by now. I hope its gets a full investigation and she is found safe and sound and in hiding somewhere (I am an optimist).
Yes! I'd also like the police to find out if this person's phone pinged in the same location as Meghan's on the last day she was sighted.

Berkshire Eagle article just released which references Chris Hedges' article and her close friend Anna Mercury's article:

This quote from the article that was taken from Chris Hedges piece :

“A few days before Meghan Marohn, a 42-year-old English teacher at Shaker High School in Latham, N.Y., disappeared, she confided to friends that she had gone into hiding to escape from a man who had ‘brutally harassed and intimidated me because I wouldn’t sleep with him,’” Hedges wrote. “She said she was too afraid to stay at home, especially when she saw him drive by her house. She was granted a leave from teaching and camped out at The Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge.”

Brutally harrassed/intimidated/stalked... I just want to say that I feel outraged that she felt so powerless that she had to flee to what she considered a safe refuge to have it only turn out to be anything but a safe refuge.

I still lean towards foul play. Esp knowing from the most recent article by her friend, that she had a plan in place to go back to Washington and start a new adventure. I think there was Hope in that. And I remind myself she was fleeing from harm, all the while fully understanding that emotions can be very very complicated.

In Ann Mercury’s excellent piece, she talks about how Meghan, while in Washington visiting with her, would just go out and drive when she was sad/grieving/in pain. From what we’ve seen though that did not appear to be her initial plan on the day she went missing.

She asked directions at the front desk of the Inn to Church St – meaning Church St Stockbridge – which was just a stone’s throw or so from the Inn. The front desk worker gave her directions to Church St in Lee.

So, that chain of events, set her in the direction of Lee. The next thing we know for sure, is that her car ended up parked at the trail head at Longcope Park off Church St in Lee, a little under two miles from the Inn. The trail head has a small area to park cars that is visible from the street and what appears to be a pretty narrow entrance. I am imagining she drove herself there since she asked for the directions to Church St.

I suspect she may have pulled off to get her bearings and then another car/truck stopped/ drove in. Whether it was her stalker or a random crime of opportunity type I really don't know.

From the article "She was too good for this world, too trusting, too caring and too vulnerable. " It could have been someone simply pulling in asking for directions - and she said "Image that! I'm lost too!" And unsuspectingly she went off for coffee with a not so good type of indiividual.

Of course alternatives exist, and I actually have no idea, so all is my opinion. I still hold out hope that she is found alive and well. I fervently wish we could all do more to help find so many of the missing. If only we could right the injustices of this misoyginist world, Meghan would not have been fleeing from the safety of her home to begin with.

As an aside I also wonder if there isn't some way to track her laptop which already may have been mentioned since I am just jumping back in here. Also to check at pawn shops etc. IMO

So per Anna Mercury's essay, it sounds like MM had a relationship with a man in Washington (state, I think) that ended badly, and then (per Chris Hedges’ essay) she had a male coworker who stalked her where she lived after she rejected his advances. Given the facts of her life in the period before her disappearance, I would hope that those two individuals would have already been questioned by the police investigating her disappearance. However, it also seems plausible that the police might look at her behavior in the same time frame and identify her as having been in a state of mental crisis, and therefore might just assume she is missing of her own volition or took her own life. I am glad to know that there are still people from her life trying to keep this story alive in the public eye and hope there can be some kind of resolution for all of them in the future.

Last edited:
From Chris Hedges' post: "The car keys, the hotel key, her daily diary, her good luck stuffed animal Bun, her computer, her wallet, the book she was reading, The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry, and cell phone were missing." Hedges: The Disappearance of Meghan Marohn

That's a very specific list of items. Who would know exactly what she had with her? Especially the current books she was reading. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back