Found Deceased MA - Michael Doherty, 20, Franklin, 14 May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly feel like something happened at the party that isn't being disclosed. The party-goer's use of the word 'coherent' sounds like legalese to me. It's too ambiguous. Combined with investigator's exclusion of party details makes me wonder if there is something more going on.

Perhaps the most bothersome part of this case is that it will likely never be disclosed what actually happened - once the investigators do figure it out. Out of respect for the family and the deceased, it's common in this area to withhold any information which may put the individual in a bad light. I know of multiple DUI related car deaths in the area which involved drug or alcohol use but this was never disclosed in the press releases. Very common to see with overdoses too.

It looks like the parents on Phyllis were a little too liberal with their house rules. Its a shame that when other parents don't do their job it effects other parents children.

I honestly feel like something happened at the party that isn't being disclosed. The party-goer's use of the word 'coherent' sounds like legalese to me. It's too ambiguous. Combined with investigator's exclusion of party details makes me wonder if there is something more going on.

Perhaps the most bothersome part of this case is that it will likely never be disclosed what actually happened - once the investigators do figure it out. Out of respect for the family and the deceased, it's common in this area to withhold any information which may put the individual in a bad light. I know of multiple DUI related car deaths in the area which involved drug or alcohol use but this was never disclosed in the press releases. Very common to see with overdoses too.

I agree. I grew up in franklin and this is common place with the townes

It looks like the parents on Phyllis were a little too liberal with their house rules. Its a shame that when other parents don't do their job it effects other parents children.
Do we even know that any parents were present or permitted the party?

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Whiskers16. To answer your question .. That is my point. If they had better rules the kids would not of had this kind of party..whether the parents were home or not.

Do we even know that any parents were present or permitted the party?

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

No information about the "gathering" has been forthcoming or reported and the previous posters from the area seem to be speculating that no information ever will be. JMO It is certainly not in the best interests of the parents or any adults at the home to have known about the party and the state of the underaged guests. MOO

No information about the "gathering" has been forthcoming or reported and the previous posters from the area seem to be speculating that no information ever will be. JMO It is certainly not in the best interests of the parents or any adults at the home to have known about the party and the state of the underaged guests. MOO

I saw it reported on MSM early on when Michael was missing that the parents of the host home said that they were not home during the "gathering."

From The Rules:

To preserve the integrity of the factual information contained herein, Websleuths does not participate in rumor mongering. When claiming something as a “fact,” you must prove it. Be able to provide links to information from approved third party sources; for instance, mainstream media (MSM), law enforcement (LE), and admin-verified case insiders.

:tyou:

I agree and see both sides of it. It's a difficult situation. I understand that out of respect to the victim and his family and their reputation, some details are kept private. But the full details could sure be of value if they could be shared with other young kids. Full disclosure of any drug and/or alcohol usage (if any), would educate hopefully prevent more tragedies like this.

[FONT=&][FONT=&]The sources seem pretty consistent to me- the observations at both airports are fairly similar to your account of the area’s weather that night, with temps basically in the mid-40’s, with “light rain” or “rain” reported for most of the night, though generally more “rain” reported later (“heavy rain” reported at 3:56am at Pawtucket), with winds ranging from 7-9 mph, increasing only a little into the wee hours of the morning at Norwood, and increasing more at Pawtucket, to 10-17 with one gust reported at 24 at 4:56am. [/FONT] The table from Intellicast reporting 69 degrees for May 13 & 70 degrees for the 14th is a historical table of the average temps for that date, not a record of the temps for that date in 2017. [/FONT]

Thanks for that info.
I tried, LOL

From The Rules:

To preserve the integrity of the factual information contained herein, Websleuths does not participate in rumor mongering. When claiming something as a “fact,” you must prove it. Be able to provide links to information from approved third party sources; for instance, mainstream media (MSM), law enforcement (LE), and admin-verified case insiders.

Sorry! Only sharing the info I've received from pretty reliable sources, but it will probably never make it's way to MSM or news outlets, so I have no source links to provide :(. I am glad to know that you monitor this forum, and that the things others share are accurate and can be backed up.

Those are average temperatures for that date at that weather location throughout its entire history, I believe. Here are the observations for 2017- May 14, 2017 had a high of 50 & low of 43 (& May 13 a high of 56, low 39- but Michael was last seen around 1:30am on May 14):

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/ObservationsSummary.aspx?location=USMA0148

Although I don't recall specific temps or wind chill, I'm in area less than 2 miles away and was out at about 11 that night. At around 11 it was more of a breeze than a wind, and more of a steady misty light rain than a downpour. It did pick up overnight though so may have been heavier at 130 AM. Either way it was raw, the kind of raw only us New Englanders know is the best way I can put it. Still, considering those at the party said he left fully functioning I do feel some piece of the puzzle is missing and I sure hope his family gets the peace of finding those answers.

From The Rules:

I also respect the rules of this site and its integrity.
I searched for a link to the news report that I saw re the parents of the host home, but haven't been able to find it yet.

It was a short report with the parents saying that they were not home and asking for privacy.

I found it odd at the time since it seemed to me that they were putting the onus on their child/children who hosted.

I also respect the rules of this site and its integrity.
I searched for a link to the news report that I saw re the parents of the host home, but haven't been able to find it yet.

It was a short report with the parents saying that they were not home and asking for privacy.

I found it odd at the time since it seemed to me that they were putting the onus on their child/children who hosted.

They absolutely would want to put the onus on their child per se, they and their homeowners policy would be legally liable if they knew about or even suspected a party with alcohol was taking place at their home.

They absolutely would want to put the onus on their child per se, they and their homeowners policy would be legally liable if they knew about or even suspected a party with alcohol was taking place at their home.

Yes, I get that...still...I was saddened that a parent would do it.
I want to say again how sad I am for Michael...and his parents and family.
An unimaginable tragedy that resonates with so many parents.
Michael is everyone's child.

I went to the locations. Oak st extention and the path is only houses away from Phyllis. The path goes immediately to the marsh. It is the opposite direction to his home. Schofield would have been the direction or pond street.. You have to see it to know. I'm not surprised that the kids at the party are not his crowd.

I could see him trying to get from the end of Oak Ext up to the end of Elizabeth Ave. if there is some sort of path in the woods between the two.

(In daylight) it would cut down the time pretty good. Otherwise you have to go north on Phyllis to south on Oak to north on Pond which goes farther north than you need to and then south on Elizabeth to pick up Catherine. Twice you double back on yourself by going to north/south just to pick up a road to go the other way.

If he had taken the shortcut before and was trying to get out of the rain quicker, he could have reasoned it out in his head, felt more confident than he should have, and overlooked/miscalculated the risks.

Once in the woods he could have easily missed any path/way that goes up to Elizabeth or even tripped or stumbled and when he got up couldn't figure out which way is which.

I just feel like it was a set of bad decisions on top of particularly bad circumstances (weather, nighttime)

Live in the area and when I think back to being around that age... I am thankful to be ok. I wasn't close to wild but I still made bad decisions occasionally. Just takes one though. I lost a friend at that age because of their decision to drive home at 3 am from 8 hours away after having been out all night.

Mentioned the rain and path:
http://www.wcvb.com/article/were-cl...s-say-as-search-for-student-continues/9865294
http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/PD-Franklin-Mass-Man-Missing-422209193.html

I could see him trying to get from the end of Oak Ext up to the end of Elizabeth Ave. if there is some sort of path in the woods between the two.

(In daylight) it would cut down the time pretty good. Otherwise you have to go north on Phyllis to south on Oak to north on Pond which goes farther north than you need to and then south on Elizabeth to pick up Catherine. Twice you double back on yourself by going to north/south just to pick up a road to go the other way.

If he had taken the shortcut before and was trying to get out of the rain quicker, he could have reasoned it out in his head, felt more confident than he should have, and overlooked/miscalculated the risks.

Once in the woods he could have easily missed any path/way that goes up to Elizabeth or even tripped or stumbled and when he got up couldn't figure out which way is which.

I just feel like it was a set of bad decisions on top of particularly bad circumstances (weather, nighttime)

Live in the area and when I think back to being around that age... I am thankful to be ok. I wasn't close to wild but I still made bad decisions occasionally. Just takes one though. I lost a friend at that age because of their decision to drive home at 3 am from 8 hours away after having been out all night.

Mentioned the rain and path:
http://www.wcvb.com/article/were-cl...s-say-as-search-for-student-continues/9865294
http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/PD-Franklin-Mass-Man-Missing-422209193.html

BBM: It does make sense and the path can be seen from the Google satellite view but walking it?

From the NECN Link -
"That path he took, it’s like a discombobulated path, it’s not a real path, but him and his brother they said they took it one time in their life, I guess he thought he could do it again," [H] said."

Source: Police Searching Woods, Marshes for Missing 20-Year-Old | NECN http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/PD-Franklin-Mass-Man-Missing-422209193.html#ixzz4hlqA3Tyv
Follow us: @necn on Twitter | NECN on Facebook

He took it one time before and he was going to attempt it again in the dark and rain...I don't think there was a logical decision being made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteRaven