Found Deceased MA - Michael Doherty, 20, Franklin, 14 May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I get that...still...I was saddened that a parent would do it.
I want to say again how sad I am for Michael...and his parents and family.
An unimaginable tragedy that resonates with so many parents.
Michael is everyone's child.

I just want to make sure I understand your comment. Why would you be saddened if the parents said the truth (that they had no idea about the party)? Because it could potentially make the kids liable? I would hope the parents wouldn't cover for their kids if they did something criminal.

I have 14 Mass victims. Here are a few:
Michael Kelleher- 23 years old went missing from Celtics game on 03/29/17, tried to hire an Uber found in the Charles river
Zachary Marr- went missing from Bell in Hand bar on 02/13/16, not allowed back into bar to get his jacket, found in the Charles River
Eric Munsell- bouncer asked him to leave Market Lounge after he tripped in the bar on 02/08/14, found in the Boston Harbor
Johnathan Dailey- of Boston left his apartment after hanging out with a friend 10pm on 10/2/12 and was found in the Charles River chained to a cinder block, He was an architectural graduate student.
Franco Garcia- went missing on 02/22/12 from Newton MA after leaving with friends at Marry Anns bar. Was found in Chestnut Hill reservoir.
Ram Jayakumar--missing May 11, 2017, body found in the Charles River.

This remains a strange case--doubling back to 200 yards of the place he started from, and succumbing there--instead of in a different location, one that might indicate disorientation. He was oriented enough to return to the starting place, and to get there by wading through marsh? But not to get to the house? And his shoes and shirt were missing? Hypothermia, possibly, but the route is very puzzling. It's also hard to understand the geography that would prevent discovery within 200 yards of the party house. This is extra, extra tragic, considering the proximity to the starting place and that a search didn't cover a 200-yard radius. Is this information about the 200 yards accurate?

Body Found Confirmed To Be Michael Doherty

FRANKLIN (CBS) — The remains found in Franklin on Saturday afternoon have officially been identified as Michael Doherty, a Duke University student missing for over a week.

The Norfolk District Attorney’s office announced the medical examiner’s results on Monday morning.

Officials said there was no sign of foul play.

"While the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has not yet issued a final report, preliminary information from that office indicates that no signs of trauma or foul play were evident.

The cause and manner of death remain undetermined pending additional testing. "
http://www.wcvb.com/article/body-identified-as-missing-college-student-from-franklin/9905736

So now we have ID but no COD/MOD. I assume that won't be until after Tox analysis and full autopsy results are in. 6 weeks min.?

I still think the possibility he was chased by something would account for his clothes/shoes and the route he took. Dogs...coyote...bobcat.....this would account for his seemingly walking/running all over the place. He could have even been injured somewhat.

I still think the possibility he was chased by something would account for his clothes/shoes and the route he took. Dogs...coyote...bobcat.....this would account for his seemingly walking/running all over the place. He could have even been injured somewhat.

I personally think it would be very telling whether or not he had many wounds on his body and feet. The terrain around here is uncertain - ditches, slopes, fallen branches... Walking in the woods in the dark would cause multiple injuries IMO. His legs and feet would be all torn up if he covered that much ground without shoes. Luckily the medical examiners know how to spot the difference between pre and post-mortal wounds. So curious what happened.

I personally think it would be very telling whether or not he had many wounds on his body and feet. The terrain around here is uncertain - ditches, slopes, fallen branches... Walking in the woods in the dark would cause multiple injuries IMO. His legs and feet would be all torn up if he covered that much ground without shoes. Luckily the medical examiners know how to spot the difference between pre and post-mortal wounds. So curious what happened.

However the Medical Examiner said there were no signs of trauma
http://www.wcvb.com/article/body-identified-as-missing-college-student-from-franklin/9905736

I had been thinking eye injury, concussion, broken leg or other injury but it seems not.

I just want to make sure I understand your comment. Why would you be saddened if the parents said the truth (that they had no idea about the party)? Because it could potentially make the kids liable? I would hope the parents wouldn't cover for their kids if they did something criminal.

I think that the entire situation is sad...and it's sad that the parents are in this situation and it's sad that the kids are in this situation...and I'm saddest for Michael.

Of course I would hold my own children responsible for any and all wrongdoing they have engaged in, but wouldn't you agree that possibly having to bear the burden of somehow being responsible for Michael losing his life is just awful?
Not as awful as this young man losing his life...but tragic all around?

I personally would have refrained from commenting to the media at all if it was my home or kids who hosted the party.
In private and in cooperation with LE, that's where I'd share all information.

Perhaps I have this perspective because I am a journalist and hyperaware of the power of the media.
I'd say nothing...

That's all I meant...

We don't know what happened or who may have supplied what to whom.
Or whose bad decision led to this young man losing his life.

This remains a strange case--doubling back to 200 yards of the place he started from, and succumbing there--instead of in a different location, one that might indicate disorientation. He was oriented enough to return to the starting place, and to get there by wading through marsh? But not to get to the house? And his shoes and shirt were missing? Hypothermia, possibly, but the route is very puzzling. It's also hard to understand the geography that would prevent discovery within 200 yards of the party house. This is extra, extra tragic, considering the proximity to the starting place and that a search didn't cover a 200-yard radius. Is this information about the 200 yards accurate?
RBBM:
"The body was discovered only about 200 yards away from the house on Phyllis Street where Doherty was last seen."
http://www.wcvb.com/article/town-he...y-believed-to-be-missing-franklin-man/9903260

franklin-map-0300-1495400633.jpg

I would also like to share this map I found online (it's from an astrology-based missing person information page, which is not allowed per TOS, so I am not going to provide a link to the site, but here is a direct link to the map):
http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/Micahel_Doherty/MichaelDoherty

It's easy for me to say sitting on my couch, looking at maps, and none of this is going to bring Michael back. But ... one thing I'm struggling to understand is why Michael would go back into the water.

"Police said a bloodhound K-9 tracked Doherty's scent to Maple Street in Bellingham," which is almost one mile away from where he started on Phyllis Lane, and well on the other side of Mine Brook.
http://www.wcvb.com/article/clothing-shoes-found-during-search-for-missing-student/9659314

And had he stayed on Maple, it would have been a relatively easy -well not exactly, given the rain, wind and his likely inebriated state, but at least it wouldn't have involved swimming/walking across a marsh for a second time- 2.5-mile walk on a paved street to his destination: https://goo.gl/maps/kr4KVaCyKPR2

I don't necessarily think that there had to be foul play involved, and Michael's inexplicable actions that night may be explained by possible hypothermia and/or an altered state of mind with the former eventually leading to his demise.

My deepest condolences to Michael's family. I couldn't begin to imagine what his parent must be going through. And his poor brothers. I hope they know and understand -if not now, eventually- that none of this is their fault.

As to the young -and not-so-young- adults who were involved in the gathering in any way, I expect them to fully cooperate with the ongoing investigation and take full responsibility where appropriate.

I'll try - I wish I were talented that way but... In this Screenshot from Google :

Phyllis Ln and Catherine Ave. Are circled in red.
There is a path through the woods on the edge of the marsh - (the red line with arrow) that should have taken him home. I don't know the exact route.
According to LE ( I think it was Dep Ch. Mill) he went as far as Oak St Ext. ,But he got off it ( Blue dotted line) and ended up at the golf course losing his shirt and his shoes in different locations in that direction. ( the dogs and the searchers would know the more exact route)
But according to Det. Ch. Mill, he doubled back, crossed the brook again and went to far - ending up somewhere in the thick wood opposite Jimmy St behind the houses on Besso St.

attachment.php

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...36433d305c0dca!8m2!3d42.1038457!4d-71.4326307

What if once he reached the golf course, he had a sense of perspective of where he was? And he didn't intentionally double back but thought he was headed towards home. What if once he got to the golf course, he knew he needed to head out at an angle but flipped the direction.

I highlighted in orange on top of Steleheart's map, the route he may have thought he was taking when he was actually doubling back. IMO it makes sense that once he reached where he was found that he knew he should have reach the neighborhood close to his home by this point. So now he's completely lost and in the later stages of hypothermia at this point...?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 2.31.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 2.31.21 PM.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 266
Rest in peace Michael!

I cannot imagine what this family is going through. :crying:

For his family's sake, I'm just relieved they have his body and can attempt some closure. My heart goes out to them as I can't imagine losing one of my own in this manner......any manner really. Such a talented, intelligent young man he was! This case has stayed with me because of it's sadness as well as complete loss of such a fine young man with a promising future. The "why/how" seems unimportant at this point as a life has ended much too soon. Just an incredible loss and tragedy for this family. I am just so, so sorry for them all.

Perhaps the most bothersome part of this case is that it will likely never be disclosed what actually happened - once the investigators do figure it out. Out of respect for the family and the deceased, it's common in this area to withhold any information which may put the individual in a bad light. I know of multiple DUI related car deaths in the area which involved drug or alcohol use but this was never disclosed in the press releases. Very common to see with overdoses too.

True! The Moderator of the local FB group already said if anything is posted about the funeral or anything else, it will be removed.

I've been lurking on this thread since this story started. I grew up in Franklin and lived about 5 minutes from where this took place until I was like 24 (about 8 years ago). Being familiar with that area, the thing I keep going back to is why he would go into the woods at all? He should have gone down Oak St. Extension, taken a left on Pond, and just walked down to his street. Even if you measure an exact straight line on the map from Phyllis to Catherine, it's about 4/5 of a mile through the woods, streets, and whatever else was in the way. If you just walk on the road, it's about 1.3 miles. Nobody in their right mind, even marginally intoxicated would think taking a route through the woods at 1am made more sense than walking on the road, while going the WRONG direction.

Something about this still seems really off. How do we know he left the party alone? Does anyone think someone would actually own up to anything like that?

A little more background on people and my suspicions from someone who did not have a good experience growing up there. People may be painting a rosy picture of Franklin and surrounding towns, but be clear, there are layers to this. Nothing happens in Franklin, or so people say. Kids get bullied, a lot, cops abuse their power, a lot, and drug use is through the roof. Kids I knew did acid, ecstasy, weed, coke, drank, you name it, they did it. I was around it as little as possible and never participated but there needs to be more scrutiny put on this party, who was there, what they were doing, and further down the line, how it can be stopped. This may sound a lot like other places in MA and in the country, and it probably is, but to be totally honest, I'm shocked this sort of thing doesn't happen more. Just my perspective. Apologies if any of this violated your site's policy, this is my first post. Thank you.

Ram Jayakumar--missing May 11, 2017, body found in the Charles River.

I was so caught up watching Michael's case that I didn't realize the body they found in the Charles belonged to Ram. I can see how what happened to Michael could have happened, but all these other missing kids found in the water seems so suspicious. I suppose if we knew the details of each case, we'd maybe see how it could have happened to them, too.

I think that the entire situation is sad...and it's sad that the parents are in this situation and it's sad that the kids are in this situation...and I'm saddest for Michael.

Of course I would hold my own children responsible for any and all wrongdoing they have engaged in, but wouldn't you agree that possibly having to bear the burden of somehow being responsible for Michael losing his life is just awful?
Not as awful as this young man losing his life...but tragic all around?

I personally would have refrained from commenting to the media at all if it was my home or kids who hosted the party.
In private and in cooperation with LE, that's where I'd share all information.

Perhaps I have this perspective because I am a journalist and hyperaware of the power of the media.
I'd say nothing...

That's all I meant...

We don't know what happened or who may have supplied what to whom.
Or whose bad decision led to this young man losing his life.

Oh I totally agree - much safer to say nothing at this point and seek legal counsel. Thanks for explaining your comment! Very sad all around, for sure.

It looks like the parents on Phyllis were a little too liberal with their house rules. Its a shame that when other parents don't do their job it effects other parents children.

I don't know what the story is with the parents of the party house but I know it can happen without the parents being aware of it. I was out of country but told my 2 teen daughters they were not allowed to have ANYONE in the house while I was gone. The very first day I was gone, they called Dad who was working and asked if it was OK if they invited a few friends in. Of course, darlings...my little sweetie pies who can do no wrong! Arghhh!!!! Word got out there was a party and kids they didn't even know showed up! My daughters lost total control of the situation and were helpless to do anything to stop it. This was back in the 80s when kids were going crazy ripping the fixtures out of the walls! Luckily they didn't destroy our home but they did steal some things. Yes, our daughters learned their lesson....the hard way! It happens!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304